Is God a man or a woman?

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Is God a man or a woman? - Page 2 Empty Is God a man or a woman?

Post by Guest on Tue Jun 02, 2015 10:17 am

First topic message reminder :

The Bible is full of references to a female God, and long before the Church of England there were traditions which explored feminine divinity.
I don’t know if you noticed, but Oxford University finally caught up with Cambridge by appointing a woman to be its next vice-chancellor (and, indeed, with Brunel and countless other universities where there are already women at the top). One might say the overhaul of expectations of masculinity and power is quite en vogue: the general election leaders’ debates were awash with brightly coloured shift dresses, Hillary is running for president, and even in the Church of England we have our first women bishops – three of them now. It’s expected that by the time we appoint the next Archbishop of Canterbury, there will be a woman on the shortlist. But all this rather pales into insignificance beside the hot topic of current debate in the Church of England: does God, the Almighty Creator of the Universe, have to be male?

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/religion/11643931/Is-God-a-man-or-a-woman.html

As much as I am athiest it is still an interesting question.
More to the point, does it really matter, if a person believes?

Back to top Go down

Is God a man or a woman? - Page 2 Empty Re: Is God a man or a woman?

Post by Guest on Fri Jun 05, 2015 6:26 pm

Fuzzy Zack wrote:
Belatucadros wrote:

Or caught yours yet.
The writing system of Arabic was not fully formed in the time of Muhammad. That means the original verses written down were all without diacritical marks. No Quran Exists at the end of Muhammad life and we also know the earliest incomplete Quran is missing also some diacritical marks. It is all a matter of subjective views as to then what some words mean.

Still ARABIC!

lol!

Did I claim it was not Arabic?
No, which again this words has had multiple meanings based around it, so there is no way of knowing. Based off no shred of early verses at the time of Muhammad existing today, leaves the credibility to the Quran being the Surah's handed down to Muhammad on shaky ground

Back to top Go down

Post by Eilzel on Sat Jun 06, 2015 1:30 am

Zack is being pedantic by going on anout how the Arabic Koran is not an interpretation but the original. Its a wasteful attempt to deflect from the point at hand.

"The beginning of wisdom is the definition of terms" Socrates
Eilzel
Eilzel
Speaker of the House

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by stardesk on Sat Jun 06, 2015 8:37 pm

Hi Eilzel. You're quite right, deflection and diversionary verbal tactics apply. He said I had contradicted myself but no, he didn't read my comment correctly. As said, the Koran was originally written in Arabic. It wasn't Gothic, Hebrew or Latin was it. The English translators admit that some of the poetic-like original verses can't be translated with the same constucts as the original Arabic.

Here's a picture that suits him and some of the Bible bashers. (Sorry guys but I couldn't resist it.)

Is God a man or a woman? - Page 2 Img09810

View user profile

Back to top Go down

The author of this message was banned from the forum - See the message

Post by Guest on Sun Jun 07, 2015 3:31 pm

Fuzzy Zack wrote:
Eilzel wrote:Zack is being pedantic by going on anout how the Arabic Koran is not an interpretation but the original. Its a wasteful attempt to deflect from the point at hand.

Lol! No, it's a fact.

What facts?
Stop acting like an immature child, you have no facts, only interpretations off how later the Quran was developed through men deciding what was passed onto Muhammad. As stated again Arabic in the time of Muhammad was devoid of diacritics. You can only guess and place your faith in men and not Muhammad himself.

So no lol will save you here from denying facts presented to you.

Back to top Go down

Post by Original Quill on Sun Jun 07, 2015 6:12 pm

risingsun wrote:I get what you mean Zack, but sure the 'Christian' god procreates, after all 'this is my only begotten son Jesus'?

Actually, this is one of his magic tricks he performed for the kids.  We don't need to worry about sperm and ovum, because god has spontaneous generation.  He invented the rabbit in the hat.

Who takes this stuff seriously?  The Bible ranks up there with Grimms' Fairy Tales for ancient folk tales and children's entertainment literature.

"I don't stand by anything."  ― Donald Trump, interview with John Dickerson, 5.1.17...

Normal is broken.

“That's libertarians for you — anarchists who want police protection from their slaves.” ― Kim Stanley Robinson, Green Mars
Original Quill
Original Quill

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by stardesk on Sun Jun 07, 2015 8:58 pm

Oh dear, no one commented on the picture above. Fussy and HF, you surprise me.

Picking up on Quills comment, If Creationists believe everything in the Bible, OT and NT, they might as well believe in Bigfoot, the Abominal Snowman, and the mysterious creature in Mexico I believe. What about Aliens and fairies and various other mythical beings?

I think between us we've proved time and time again that evolution is true, and that creation is a belief based on primitive Man's ignorance of the real, physical world. Events such as earthquakes, volcanoes, tornadoes etc, were believed to be caused by an angry God. Thus we find, in many primitive communities, human and animal sacrifice in the hopes of appeasing the God. There are hundreds of Gods and Goddesses in this world and Jehovah is just one more in the pile.

Last edited by stardesk on Sun Jun 07, 2015 9:03 pm; edited 1 time in total

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Sun Jun 07, 2015 9:01 pm

as a bible believing Christian i believe aliens are demons .

Back to top Go down

Post by stardesk on Sun Jun 07, 2015 9:12 pm

Dibs my dear, you surprise me. Believe in the Bible and your God by all means, but Demons? I don't think such beings exist, the only demons are negative thoughts and bad behaviour which we are all prone to. Various daily experiences can cause us to behave like that.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggamuffin on Sun Jun 07, 2015 9:16 pm

stardesk wrote:Dibs my dear, you surprise me. Believe in the Bible and your God by all means, but Demons? I don't think such beings exist, the only demons are negative thoughts and bad behaviour which we are all prone to. Various daily experiences can cause us to behave like that.

How gracious of you to give VOD permission to believe in the Bible and God.

She needs your permission to believe in demons?

"I could be wrong now, but I don't think so!
Raggamuffin
Raggamuffin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Sun Jun 07, 2015 9:37 pm

stardesk wrote:Oh dear, no one commented on the picture above. Fussy and HF, you surprise me.

Picking up on Quills comment, If Creationists believe everything in the Bible, OT and NT, they might as well believe in Bigfoot, the Abominal Snowman, and the mysterious creature in Mexico I believe. What about Aliens and fairies and various other mythical beings?

I think between us we've proved time and time again that evolution is true, and that creation is a belief based on primitive Man's ignorance of the real, physical world. Events such as earthquakes, volcanoes, tornadoes etc, were believed to be caused by an angry God. Thus we find, in many primitive communities, human and animal sacrifice in the hopes of appeasing the God. There are hundreds of Gods and Goddesses in this world and Jehovah is just one more in the pile.

you have done nothing of the sort, you have proved your blind devotion to evolution as your chosen religion accepted on faith...

Back to top Go down

Post by Original Quill on Mon Jun 08, 2015 5:28 am

Vicar of Dibley wrote:as a bible believing Christian i believe aliens are demons .

This kind of stuff is the script for a TV show called Ancient Aliens.  Now there are some real possibilities.  It's entirely plausible that humans are not alone in the universe; that such other beings have the capacity to travel; that they have visited the earth; and that many stories in the Bible can in fact by attributed to such visits.  Ezekiel and the wheel in the sky, for example.

There is presently no factual basis for extraterrestrial life visiting here on earth that I know of.  But of all the possibilities, it is a lot more plausible than that old man who walks on clouds.  Or....could that old man be a senior alien?  Hmmm...

Is God a man or a woman? - Page 2 Pai_Mei_beard

"I don't stand by anything."  ― Donald Trump, interview with John Dickerson, 5.1.17...

Normal is broken.

“That's libertarians for you — anarchists who want police protection from their slaves.” ― Kim Stanley Robinson, Green Mars
Original Quill
Original Quill

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Mon Jun 08, 2015 4:15 pm

well i have heard many things about demons ,how about that house in America with demonic forces causing all sorts of things to happen to the children , it was in the news a few months back, I wouldn't go looking for demons no way. But no we are not alone and i do agree with you about Ezeikel

15 As I looked at the living creatures, I saw a wheel on the ground beside each creature with its four faces. 16 This was the appearance and structure of the wheels: They sparkled like topaz, and all four looked alike. Each appeared to be made like a wheel intersecting a wheel. 17 As they moved, they would go in any one of the four directions the creatures faced; the wheels did not change direction as the creatures went. 18 Their rims were high and awesome, and all four rims were full of eyes all around.

Back to top Go down

Post by stardesk on Tue Jun 09, 2015 11:57 am

Dibs my dear, I can't help having a joke. Perhaps Ezekiel had been at the home-made wine.

Picking up on Quill's comment, there are millions of stars in our galaxy and billions of planets. Our world surely cannot be the only one in our galaxy, which is just one out of many, that supports life in one form or another. Whether there is intelligent life, and perhaps space travellers out there, time will tell.

I too have watched the programme Ancient Aliens and some of it seems logical, but it needs a lot more investigation and time to prove or disprove Aliens have been here in the past. But, this does not prove or disprove the existance of a God. That, I believe, is an individual's choice based on one's psychological needs, education and knowledge, and life's experiences.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by stardesk on Thu Jun 11, 2015 2:52 pm

Raggamuffin wrote:
stardesk wrote:Dibs my dear, you surprise me. Believe in the Bible and your God by all means, but Demons? I don't think such beings exist, the only demons are negative thoughts and bad behaviour which we are all prone to. Various daily experiences can cause us to behave like that.

RAGGY'S REPLY: 'How gracious of you to give VOD permission to believe in the Bible and God.

She needs your permission to believe in demons?'

Raggy, you do not understand the context of my comment to Dibs. I would not be so presumptious. Am I right in thinking English is not your first language?

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum