Waco 'brawlers' vs. Baltimore 'thugs' -- how the media portrayed violence differently on the basis of race

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Waco 'brawlers' vs. Baltimore 'thugs' -- how the media portrayed violence differently on the basis of race - Page 2 Empty Waco 'brawlers' vs. Baltimore 'thugs' -- how the media portrayed violence differently on the basis of race

Post by Ben Reilly on Sun May 24, 2015 9:38 pm

First topic message reminder :

CNN law enforcement analyst Harry Houck asserted this week that the black community was to blame after pundits had referred to black rioters as “thugs” but had usually refused to use the same terminology for white criminals.

Following a shootout between rival biker gangs in Waco, Texas over the weekend, many noted that the media did not stereotype the suspects the same way that it had during coverage of the Baltimore riots, which were far less deadly.

“This is about a culture that looks at blackness and says that it sounds like a certain thing, it looks like a certain thing,” New York Times columnist Charles Blow explained to a CNN panel on Tuesday.

“I don’t know how you can make a comparison between Waco and Baltimore,” Houck complained. “Are these guys thugs? Yeah, they’re thugs… I use the word thug and I mean ‘bad guy’ when I use the word.”

“I think the word was owned by rappers,” he continued. “They started coming out with songs and calling themselves thugs, and I think that’s how this whole thing started, with the black community and the young men calling themselves thugs. Alright? And I think that’s how that all started.”

Blow argued that Houck’s etymology of the word thug was “patently inaccurate.”

“That word has a long history, and whether or not a word is absorbed into a community in the same way people absorbed the n-word and sometimes gay people absorbed words that were historically used to bash them, and try to rub off the edges of them and absorb it into the culture, to make it less abrasive and hurtful,” Blow observed. “A lot of times, that is what is happening with the etymology of words.”

But Blow said that the bigger concern was that the entire black community was treated as the problem after localized events in a way that the white community never was.

http://www.rawstory.com/2015/05/cnns-ex-cop-defends-not-calling-white-bikers-thugs-this-thing-started-with-the-black-community/

Simply put, white-run media and white racists in general never talk about crime committed by whites as a white problem the way they talk about crime committed by blacks as a black problem, or crimes committed by Muslims as a Muslim problem, etc.

They treat white crimes as isolated incidents not tied to the rest of the white community, but continuously seek out cultural explanations for the crimes committed by non-whites.

_________________
Happiness is when what you think, what you say and what you do are in harmony.

-Ghandi
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly
Cowboy King. Dread Pirate of the Guadalupe. Enemy of the American people.

Posts : 26411
Join date : 2013-01-19
Age : 44
Location : Tesco's

View user profile http://www.newsfixboard.com

Back to top Go down


Waco 'brawlers' vs. Baltimore 'thugs' -- how the media portrayed violence differently on the basis of race - Page 2 Empty Re: Waco 'brawlers' vs. Baltimore 'thugs' -- how the media portrayed violence differently on the basis of race

Post by Original Quill on Mon May 25, 2015 4:40 pm

Raggamuffin wrote:A man dying has nothing to do with someone's car.

Raggs, it's statements like this where you lose all credibility. You know the vehicle was lost in a fire starting during a demonstration. Your statement is a patent lie.

If I wanted to be rhetorical, I might let you get away with that lie and argue that if the vehicle was not lost due to Mr. Gray's death, then the vehicle was not lost in the subsequent demonstration. It was probably just carelessness on the part of the driver.

_________________
“Little thieves are hanged, but great thieves are praised.” — Old Russian proverb, offered by Vladimir Putin to Donald J. Trump, Helsinki, July, 2018.

"I don't stand by anything."  ― Donald Trump, interview with John Dickerson, 5.1.17...

Normal is broken.

“That's libertarians for you — anarchists who want police protection from their slaves.” ― Kim Stanley Robinson, Green Mars
Original Quill
Original Quill

Posts : 28392
Join date : 2013-12-19
Age : 54
Location : Northern California

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Waco 'brawlers' vs. Baltimore 'thugs' -- how the media portrayed violence differently on the basis of race - Page 2 Empty Re: Waco 'brawlers' vs. Baltimore 'thugs' -- how the media portrayed violence differently on the basis of race

Post by Original Quill on Mon May 25, 2015 4:46 pm

Raggamuffin wrote:It's you who needs to adapt. You use the term "white trash" to describe poor people who are also white. That's not very nice is it? Do you also refer to poor black people as "black trash"?

In the absence of any racial animus, it's just a socioeconomic description, commonly used in American English.  'White trash' is a colloquialism, or "a word or phrase that is not formal or literary, but one used in ordinary or familiar conversation."

_________________
“Little thieves are hanged, but great thieves are praised.” — Old Russian proverb, offered by Vladimir Putin to Donald J. Trump, Helsinki, July, 2018.

"I don't stand by anything."  ― Donald Trump, interview with John Dickerson, 5.1.17...

Normal is broken.

“That's libertarians for you — anarchists who want police protection from their slaves.” ― Kim Stanley Robinson, Green Mars
Original Quill
Original Quill

Posts : 28392
Join date : 2013-12-19
Age : 54
Location : Northern California

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Waco 'brawlers' vs. Baltimore 'thugs' -- how the media portrayed violence differently on the basis of race - Page 2 Empty Re: Waco 'brawlers' vs. Baltimore 'thugs' -- how the media portrayed violence differently on the basis of race

Post by Original Quill on Mon May 25, 2015 5:03 pm

Raggamuffin wrote:Those who excuse the Baltimore riots should read the articles about the damage. It's not just about "property", it's about people's hopes, dreams, and hard work - the dream of of owning and running their own store, all the effort they put in to making it work, the community spirit they helped to build up. All that is destroyed in a few minutes by morons.

Sorry, but it's a question of values. Property, by whatever definition, is not worth a man's life.

_________________
“Little thieves are hanged, but great thieves are praised.” — Old Russian proverb, offered by Vladimir Putin to Donald J. Trump, Helsinki, July, 2018.

"I don't stand by anything."  ― Donald Trump, interview with John Dickerson, 5.1.17...

Normal is broken.

“That's libertarians for you — anarchists who want police protection from their slaves.” ― Kim Stanley Robinson, Green Mars
Original Quill
Original Quill

Posts : 28392
Join date : 2013-12-19
Age : 54
Location : Northern California

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Waco 'brawlers' vs. Baltimore 'thugs' -- how the media portrayed violence differently on the basis of race - Page 2 Empty Re: Waco 'brawlers' vs. Baltimore 'thugs' -- how the media portrayed violence differently on the basis of race

Post by Original Quill on Mon May 25, 2015 5:06 pm

Raggamuffin wrote:Speaking of the American press, let's balance things out a bit. When Trayvon Martin was shot, the press kept on publishing two photos - one of Trayvon, clearly taken some years beforehand, which portrayed him as much younger than he actually was, and another of George Zimmerman, also taken some time previously, which falsely portrayed him as a very large man. The implication was clear - that Zimmerman was much stronger than Trayvon and could clearly overpower him. It was totally misleading.

Speaking of George Zimmerman, I heard he was in trouble with the police again:

TMZ wrote:Trouble has found George Zimmerman yet again ... he is sitting in a jail cell without bail after getting arrested for domestic violence -- and cops say a weapon was involved.

_________________
“Little thieves are hanged, but great thieves are praised.” — Old Russian proverb, offered by Vladimir Putin to Donald J. Trump, Helsinki, July, 2018.

"I don't stand by anything."  ― Donald Trump, interview with John Dickerson, 5.1.17...

Normal is broken.

“That's libertarians for you — anarchists who want police protection from their slaves.” ― Kim Stanley Robinson, Green Mars
Original Quill
Original Quill

Posts : 28392
Join date : 2013-12-19
Age : 54
Location : Northern California

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Waco 'brawlers' vs. Baltimore 'thugs' -- how the media portrayed violence differently on the basis of race - Page 2 Empty Re: Waco 'brawlers' vs. Baltimore 'thugs' -- how the media portrayed violence differently on the basis of race

Post by Original Quill on Mon May 25, 2015 5:09 pm

nicko wrote:Quill, Why is it we never hear, or read, the expression "Black trash"?

It doesn't exist.  In American colloquialism only the term 'white trash' has come into being.  Perhaps there is no such thing as 'black trash' in reality...and thus no word to describe what doesn't exist.

_________________
“Little thieves are hanged, but great thieves are praised.” — Old Russian proverb, offered by Vladimir Putin to Donald J. Trump, Helsinki, July, 2018.

"I don't stand by anything."  ― Donald Trump, interview with John Dickerson, 5.1.17...

Normal is broken.

“That's libertarians for you — anarchists who want police protection from their slaves.” ― Kim Stanley Robinson, Green Mars
Original Quill
Original Quill

Posts : 28392
Join date : 2013-12-19
Age : 54
Location : Northern California

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Waco 'brawlers' vs. Baltimore 'thugs' -- how the media portrayed violence differently on the basis of race - Page 2 Empty Re: Waco 'brawlers' vs. Baltimore 'thugs' -- how the media portrayed violence differently on the basis of race

Post by Raggamuffin on Mon May 25, 2015 7:08 pm

Original Quill wrote:
Raggamuffin wrote:It's you who needs to adapt. You use the term "white trash" to describe poor people who are also white. That's not very nice is it? Do you also refer to poor black people as "black trash"?

In the absence of any racial animus, it's just a socioeconomic description, commonly used in American English.  'White trash' is a colloquialism, or "a word or phrase that is not formal or literary, but one used in ordinary or familiar conversation."

No, because you're only including white people as being "trash". Therefore, it is a racial slur. Don't bother to say that everyone from other races is perfect, because not even you can pull that one off.

_________________

"I could be wrong now, but I don't think so!
Raggamuffin
Raggamuffin

Posts : 33171
Join date : 2014-02-10

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Waco 'brawlers' vs. Baltimore 'thugs' -- how the media portrayed violence differently on the basis of race - Page 2 Empty Re: Waco 'brawlers' vs. Baltimore 'thugs' -- how the media portrayed violence differently on the basis of race

Post by Raggamuffin on Mon May 25, 2015 7:10 pm

Original Quill wrote:
Raggamuffin wrote:Those who excuse the Baltimore riots should read the articles about the damage. It's not just about "property", it's about people's hopes, dreams, and hard work - the dream of of owning and running their own store, all the effort they put in to making it work, the community spirit they helped to build up. All that is destroyed in a few minutes by morons.

Sorry, but it's a question of values.  Property, by whatever definition, is not worth a man's life.

Which bit of this are you not getting? People who own and run shops didn't kill the man - it was nothing to do with them. There's no reason why anyone should wreck someone's hopes and dreams because some other bloke got killed. WTF would you justify someone trashing a shop because some bloke got killed somewhere?

There's something wrong with your moral code.

_________________

"I could be wrong now, but I don't think so!
Raggamuffin
Raggamuffin

Posts : 33171
Join date : 2014-02-10

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Waco 'brawlers' vs. Baltimore 'thugs' -- how the media portrayed violence differently on the basis of race - Page 2 Empty Re: Waco 'brawlers' vs. Baltimore 'thugs' -- how the media portrayed violence differently on the basis of race

Post by Raggamuffin on Mon May 25, 2015 7:10 pm

Original Quill wrote:
Raggamuffin wrote:Speaking of the American press, let's balance things out a bit. When Trayvon Martin was shot, the press kept on publishing two photos - one of Trayvon, clearly taken some years beforehand, which portrayed him as much younger than he actually was, and another of George Zimmerman, also taken some time previously, which falsely portrayed him as a very large man. The implication was clear - that Zimmerman was much stronger than Trayvon and could clearly overpower him. It was totally misleading.

Speaking of George Zimmerman, I heard he was in trouble with the police again:

TMZ wrote:Trouble has found George Zimmerman yet again ... he is sitting in a jail cell without bail after getting arrested for domestic violence -- and cops say a weapon was involved.

So what? He still acted in self defence against Trayvon Martin.

_________________

"I could be wrong now, but I don't think so!
Raggamuffin
Raggamuffin

Posts : 33171
Join date : 2014-02-10

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Waco 'brawlers' vs. Baltimore 'thugs' -- how the media portrayed violence differently on the basis of race - Page 2 Empty Re: Waco 'brawlers' vs. Baltimore 'thugs' -- how the media portrayed violence differently on the basis of race

Post by Raggamuffin on Mon May 25, 2015 7:15 pm

Original Quill wrote:
Raggamuffin wrote:A man dying has nothing to do with someone's car.

Raggs, it's statements like this where you lose all credibility.  You know the vehicle was lost in a fire starting during a demonstration.  Your statement is a patent lie.

If I wanted to be rhetorical, I might let you get away with that lie and argue that if the vehicle was not lost due to Mr. Gray's death, then the vehicle was not lost in the subsequent demonstration.  It was probably just carelessness on the part of the driver.

You have completely lost all credibility a long time ago. You stick up for criminals, you're racist, you lie about having castles - there's just no end to it.

You are justifying violence, theft, arson, and all manner of crimes.

_________________

"I could be wrong now, but I don't think so!
Raggamuffin
Raggamuffin

Posts : 33171
Join date : 2014-02-10

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Waco 'brawlers' vs. Baltimore 'thugs' -- how the media portrayed violence differently on the basis of race - Page 2 Empty Re: Waco 'brawlers' vs. Baltimore 'thugs' -- how the media portrayed violence differently on the basis of race

Post by Tommy Monk on Mon May 25, 2015 7:23 pm

White bikers get a lot of hassle from police but don't go round saying 'is it cos I'm white!?'...


While black gangs get a lot of hassle and immediately pull the race card.



And before you throw the statistic that it is mainly white police etc, whites are an overwhelming majority of the whole country so will also be the overwhelming majority of police too...


THey have to deal with everyone and respond to crime by descriptions of those who are doing it...






_________________
“Truth is ever to be found in the simplicity, and not in the multiplicity and confusion of things.” — Isaac Newton

'The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it.'  — George Orwell
Tommy Monk
Tommy Monk

Posts : 22475
Join date : 2014-02-12

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Waco 'brawlers' vs. Baltimore 'thugs' -- how the media portrayed violence differently on the basis of race - Page 2 Empty Re: Waco 'brawlers' vs. Baltimore 'thugs' -- how the media portrayed violence differently on the basis of race

Post by eddie on Mon May 25, 2015 8:14 pm

Original Quill wrote:
nicko wrote:Quill, Why is it we never hear, or read, the expression "Black trash"?

It doesn't exist.  In American colloquialism only the term 'white trash' has come into being.  Perhaps there is no such thing as 'black trash' in reality...and thus no word to describe what doesn't exist.

Black trash are normally known to other blacks as niggers.
The kids are called "pickney"

_________________
I left my soul there
Down by the sea
I lost control here
Living free
- Morcheeba
eddie
eddie
King of Beards. Keeper of the Whip. Top Chef. BEES!!!!!! Mushroom muncher. Spider aficionado!

Posts : 38252
Join date : 2013-07-28
Age : 49
Location : England

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Waco 'brawlers' vs. Baltimore 'thugs' -- how the media portrayed violence differently on the basis of race - Page 2 Empty Re: Waco 'brawlers' vs. Baltimore 'thugs' -- how the media portrayed violence differently on the basis of race

Post by Original Quill on Tue May 26, 2015 5:38 am

Raggamuffin wrote:
Original Quill wrote:

In the absence of any racial animus, it's just a socioeconomic description, commonly used in American English.  'White trash' is a colloquialism, or "a word or phrase that is not formal or literary, but one used in ordinary or familiar conversation."

No, because you're only including white people as being "trash". Therefore, it is a racial slur. Don't bother to say that everyone from other races is perfect, because not even you can pull that one off.

The idea that there might be such a term in common usage is your invention, Raggs. There is no such term in America that I have heard.

Nicko’s question was, why do we never heard of such a term(?). The answer is: there is no term, that’s the reason.



_________________
“Little thieves are hanged, but great thieves are praised.” — Old Russian proverb, offered by Vladimir Putin to Donald J. Trump, Helsinki, July, 2018.

"I don't stand by anything."  ― Donald Trump, interview with John Dickerson, 5.1.17...

Normal is broken.

“That's libertarians for you — anarchists who want police protection from their slaves.” ― Kim Stanley Robinson, Green Mars
Original Quill
Original Quill

Posts : 28392
Join date : 2013-12-19
Age : 54
Location : Northern California

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Waco 'brawlers' vs. Baltimore 'thugs' -- how the media portrayed violence differently on the basis of race - Page 2 Empty Re: Waco 'brawlers' vs. Baltimore 'thugs' -- how the media portrayed violence differently on the basis of race

Post by Original Quill on Tue May 26, 2015 5:40 am

Raggamuffin wrote:
Original Quill wrote:

Raggs, it's statements like this where you lose all credibility.  You know the vehicle was lost in a fire starting during a demonstration.  Your statement is a patent lie.

If I wanted to be rhetorical, I might let you get away with that lie and argue that if the vehicle was not lost due to Mr. Gray's death, then the vehicle was not lost in the subsequent demonstration.  It was probably just carelessness on the part of the driver.

You have completely lost all credibility a long time ago. You stick up for criminals, you're racist, you lie about having castles - there's just no end to it.

You are justifying violence, theft, arson, and all manner of crimes.

To respond would be gratuitous.

_________________
“Little thieves are hanged, but great thieves are praised.” — Old Russian proverb, offered by Vladimir Putin to Donald J. Trump, Helsinki, July, 2018.

"I don't stand by anything."  ― Donald Trump, interview with John Dickerson, 5.1.17...

Normal is broken.

“That's libertarians for you — anarchists who want police protection from their slaves.” ― Kim Stanley Robinson, Green Mars
Original Quill
Original Quill

Posts : 28392
Join date : 2013-12-19
Age : 54
Location : Northern California

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Waco 'brawlers' vs. Baltimore 'thugs' -- how the media portrayed violence differently on the basis of race - Page 2 Empty Re: Waco 'brawlers' vs. Baltimore 'thugs' -- how the media portrayed violence differently on the basis of race

Post by Original Quill on Tue May 26, 2015 6:01 am

Tommy Monk wrote:White bikers get a lot of hassle from police but don't go round saying 'is it cos I'm white!?'...

While black gangs get a lot of hassle and immediately pull the race card.

I don’t know of that many black biker gangs in America.  I know there are some.  I would like to hear about any instance of a black biker gang “pulling the race card”.  If you can’t think of any incident, I will understand.  I can't either.

Tommy Monk wrote:And before you throw the statistic that it is mainly white police etc, whites are an overwhelming majority of the whole country so will also be the overwhelming majority of police too...

THey have to deal with everyone and respond to crime by descriptions of those who are doing it...

I think the fact that the police are white is incidental.  It is the law enforcement racial animus toward African Americans that is the problem.  The police problem in America is unique because it is cops-on-black, not white-on-black.  Of all of the governmental institutions in America, the police should never be racist.  Yet look at all these unjustified killings.

_________________
“Little thieves are hanged, but great thieves are praised.” — Old Russian proverb, offered by Vladimir Putin to Donald J. Trump, Helsinki, July, 2018.

"I don't stand by anything."  ― Donald Trump, interview with John Dickerson, 5.1.17...

Normal is broken.

“That's libertarians for you — anarchists who want police protection from their slaves.” ― Kim Stanley Robinson, Green Mars
Original Quill
Original Quill

Posts : 28392
Join date : 2013-12-19
Age : 54
Location : Northern California

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Waco 'brawlers' vs. Baltimore 'thugs' -- how the media portrayed violence differently on the basis of race - Page 2 Empty Re: Waco 'brawlers' vs. Baltimore 'thugs' -- how the media portrayed violence differently on the basis of race

Post by Tommy Monk on Tue May 26, 2015 6:18 am

It is cops on criminals... hugely disproportionate numbers of whom happen to be black and overwhelming numbers of cops happen to be white... hence the blacks pulling the race card every bloody time!!!


While if the cops were to just leave the fuckers to it, the same blacks would be complaining racism for NOT doing anything...



You can't win with some people when they are so entrenched in their racist beliefs that everything that happens is 'cos they're black'...



Stop the denials and grow the fuck up and take responsibility for your bad ass attitudes!!!



_________________
“Truth is ever to be found in the simplicity, and not in the multiplicity and confusion of things.” — Isaac Newton

'The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it.'  — George Orwell
Tommy Monk
Tommy Monk

Posts : 22475
Join date : 2014-02-12

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Waco 'brawlers' vs. Baltimore 'thugs' -- how the media portrayed violence differently on the basis of race - Page 2 Empty Re: Waco 'brawlers' vs. Baltimore 'thugs' -- how the media portrayed violence differently on the basis of race

Post by Original Quill on Tue May 26, 2015 6:19 am

eddie wrote:
Original Quill wrote:

It doesn't exist.  In American colloquialism only the term 'white trash' has come into being.  Perhaps there is no such thing as 'black trash' in reality...and thus no word to describe what doesn't exist.

Black trash are normally known to other blacks as niggers.

And not just other blacks. That is the common racial slur used in America by whites, as well. The etymology of ‘white trash’ is interesting:

English Language & Usage wrote:The great bulk of the legal voters of the South were men who owned no slaves; their homes were generally in the hills and poor country; their facilities for educating their children, even up to the point of reading and writing, were very limited; their interest in the contest was very meagre—what there was, if they had been capable of seeing it, was with the North; they too needed emancipation. Under the old régime they were looked down upon by those who controlled all the affairs in the interest of slave-owners, as poor white trash who were allowed the ballot so long as they cast it according to direction.

eddie wrote:The kids are called "pickney"

Actually, the Southern term for a black child is pickaninny:

Wiki wrote:Pickaninny (also picaninny or piccaninny or picinniny) is a term in English which refers to children of black descent or a racial caricature thereof. It is a pidgin word form, which may be derived from the Portuguese pequenino (an affectionate term derived from pequeno, "little").

_________________
“Little thieves are hanged, but great thieves are praised.” — Old Russian proverb, offered by Vladimir Putin to Donald J. Trump, Helsinki, July, 2018.

"I don't stand by anything."  ― Donald Trump, interview with John Dickerson, 5.1.17...

Normal is broken.

“That's libertarians for you — anarchists who want police protection from their slaves.” ― Kim Stanley Robinson, Green Mars
Original Quill
Original Quill

Posts : 28392
Join date : 2013-12-19
Age : 54
Location : Northern California

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Waco 'brawlers' vs. Baltimore 'thugs' -- how the media portrayed violence differently on the basis of race - Page 2 Empty Re: Waco 'brawlers' vs. Baltimore 'thugs' -- how the media portrayed violence differently on the basis of race

Post by Original Quill on Tue May 26, 2015 6:27 am

Tommy Monk wrote:It is cops on criminals... hugely disproportionate numbers of whom happen to be black and overwhelming numbers of cops happen to be white... hence the blacks pulling the race card every bloody time!!!

While if the cops were to just leave the fuckers to it, the same blacks would be complaining racism for NOT doing anything...

You can't win with some people when they are so entrenched in their racist beliefs that everything that happens is 'cos they're black'...

Stop the denials and grow the fuck up and take responsibility for your bad ass attitudes!!!

You are a proud, card-carrying racist, tommy. No doubt your daddy would be proud, too.

Oh, and I wasn't able to find any Black motorcycle gangs that "pulled the race card" either. Surely there are one or two, but not enough to be relevant.

_________________
“Little thieves are hanged, but great thieves are praised.” — Old Russian proverb, offered by Vladimir Putin to Donald J. Trump, Helsinki, July, 2018.

"I don't stand by anything."  ― Donald Trump, interview with John Dickerson, 5.1.17...

Normal is broken.

“That's libertarians for you — anarchists who want police protection from their slaves.” ― Kim Stanley Robinson, Green Mars
Original Quill
Original Quill

Posts : 28392
Join date : 2013-12-19
Age : 54
Location : Northern California

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Waco 'brawlers' vs. Baltimore 'thugs' -- how the media portrayed violence differently on the basis of race - Page 2 Empty Re: Waco 'brawlers' vs. Baltimore 'thugs' -- how the media portrayed violence differently on the basis of race

Post by Raggamuffin on Tue May 26, 2015 6:45 am

Original Quill wrote:
Raggamuffin wrote:

No, because you're only including white people as being "trash". Therefore, it is a racial slur. Don't bother to say that everyone from other races is perfect, because not even you can pull that one off.

The idea that there might be such a term in common usage is your invention, Raggs.  There is no such term in America that I have heard.

Nicko’s question was, why do we never heard of such a term(?).  The answer is: there is no term, that’s the reason.



I didn't say there was such a term. The fact that there isn't just confirms that the term "white trash" is indeed racist because it implies that only white people can be "trash" - which clearly isn't true because being trash is not an intrinsic characteristic of white people.

_________________

"I could be wrong now, but I don't think so!
Raggamuffin
Raggamuffin

Posts : 33171
Join date : 2014-02-10

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Waco 'brawlers' vs. Baltimore 'thugs' -- how the media portrayed violence differently on the basis of race - Page 2 Empty Re: Waco 'brawlers' vs. Baltimore 'thugs' -- how the media portrayed violence differently on the basis of race

Post by Raggamuffin on Tue May 26, 2015 6:49 am

Original Quill wrote:
Tommy Monk wrote:It is cops on criminals... hugely disproportionate numbers of whom happen to be black and overwhelming numbers of cops happen to be white... hence the blacks pulling the race card every bloody time!!!

While if the cops were to just leave the fuckers to it, the same blacks would be complaining racism for NOT doing anything...

You can't win with some people when they are so entrenched in their racist beliefs that everything that happens is 'cos they're black'...

Stop the denials and grow the fuck up and take responsibility for your bad ass attitudes!!!

You are a proud, card-carrying racist, tommy.  No doubt your daddy would be proud, too.  

Oh, and I wasn't able to find any Black motorcycle gangs that "pulled the race card" either.  Surely there are one or two, but not enough to be relevant.

It's not racist to say that black people commit crimes - unless you think that black people are not capable of doing so. You're the one using racial slurs, and now you're dragging Tommy's father into it - that's not a good attitude.

_________________

"I could be wrong now, but I don't think so!
Raggamuffin
Raggamuffin

Posts : 33171
Join date : 2014-02-10

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Waco 'brawlers' vs. Baltimore 'thugs' -- how the media portrayed violence differently on the basis of race - Page 2 Empty Re: Waco 'brawlers' vs. Baltimore 'thugs' -- how the media portrayed violence differently on the basis of race

Post by Raggamuffin on Tue May 26, 2015 6:55 am

Original Quill wrote:
Tommy Monk wrote:White bikers get a lot of hassle from police but don't go round saying 'is it cos I'm white!?'...

While black gangs get a lot of hassle and immediately pull the race card.

I don’t know of that many black biker gangs in America.  I know there are some.  I would like to hear about any instance of a black biker gang “pulling the race card”.  If you can’t think of any incident, I will understand.  I can't either.

Tommy Monk wrote:And before you throw the statistic that it is mainly white police etc, whites are an overwhelming majority of the whole country so will also be the overwhelming majority of police too...

THey have to deal with everyone and respond to crime by descriptions of those who are doing it...

I think the fact that the police are white is incidental.  It is the law enforcement racial animus toward African Americans that is the problem.  The police problem in America is unique because it is cops-on-black, not white-on-black.  Of all of the governmental institutions in America, the police should never be racist.  Yet look at all these unjustified killings.

Has anyone ever proved that a police officer killed a person just because they're black? The trouble is that every time a black person is killed by a police officer, people assume it's a racist killing. You have to look at each case on an individual basis rather than lump them all together.

_________________

"I could be wrong now, but I don't think so!
Raggamuffin
Raggamuffin

Posts : 33171
Join date : 2014-02-10

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Waco 'brawlers' vs. Baltimore 'thugs' -- how the media portrayed violence differently on the basis of race - Page 2 Empty Re: Waco 'brawlers' vs. Baltimore 'thugs' -- how the media portrayed violence differently on the basis of race

Post by Tommy Monk on Tue May 26, 2015 3:13 pm

Blacks commit huge amounts of crime in America.


They are much more likely to assault or even kill the police officer trying to deal with them.


The police will always be overwhelmingly majority white because America is overwhelmingly majority white... plus the fact that blacks, by and large, don't want to be police.


It is blacks who are racist towards the police because they are white.

_________________
“Truth is ever to be found in the simplicity, and not in the multiplicity and confusion of things.” — Isaac Newton

'The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it.'  — George Orwell
Tommy Monk
Tommy Monk

Posts : 22475
Join date : 2014-02-12

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Waco 'brawlers' vs. Baltimore 'thugs' -- how the media portrayed violence differently on the basis of race - Page 2 Empty Re: Waco 'brawlers' vs. Baltimore 'thugs' -- how the media portrayed violence differently on the basis of race

Post by Original Quill on Tue May 26, 2015 7:54 pm

Raggamuffin wrote:
Original Quill wrote:

The idea that there might be such a term in common usage is your invention, Raggs.  There is no such term in America that I have heard.

Nicko’s question was, why do we never heard of such a term(?).  The answer is: there is no term, that’s the reason.


I didn't say there was such a term. The fact that there isn't just confirms that the term "white trash" is indeed racist because it implies that only white people can be "trash" - which clearly isn't true because being trash is not an intrinsic characteristic of white people.

Here is the basic origin:

English Language & Usage wrote:The great bulk of the legal voters of the South were men who owned no slaves; their homes were generally in the hills and poor country; their facilities for educating their children, even up to the point of reading and writing, were very limited; their interest in the contest was very meagre—what there was, if they had been capable of seeing it, was with the North; they too needed emancipation. Under the old régime they were looked down upon by those who controlled all the affairs in the interest of slave-owners, as poor white trash who were allowed the ballot so long as they cast it according to direction.

The term 'white trash' comes from the pre-Civil War days. It was a term invented by RW slave-owners to describe non-slave owners. Rich RW slave-owners wanted a term that described the poor and property-less of the South.

It has nothing to do with race. The slave-owners wanted a term to distinguish poor whites from themselves. They were all white. All blacks were owned and kept in poverty, so they couldn't just say 'poor'. So they needed a term, additionally, that distinguished whites from blacks.

So they came up with 'white-trash'. It was a term meaning not slave, yet uneducated and living in poverty. The modern-day context crept in and engulfed the term like a fog...and here we have your contrived misinterpretation of the word.

There are no more slaves, but there are still these same uneducated whites living in squalor and poverty. They have always been there, and they have always been called 'white trash'. A little understanding of history could have told you that. A little research would have told you that.

_________________
“Little thieves are hanged, but great thieves are praised.” — Old Russian proverb, offered by Vladimir Putin to Donald J. Trump, Helsinki, July, 2018.

"I don't stand by anything."  ― Donald Trump, interview with John Dickerson, 5.1.17...

Normal is broken.

“That's libertarians for you — anarchists who want police protection from their slaves.” ― Kim Stanley Robinson, Green Mars
Original Quill
Original Quill

Posts : 28392
Join date : 2013-12-19
Age : 54
Location : Northern California

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Waco 'brawlers' vs. Baltimore 'thugs' -- how the media portrayed violence differently on the basis of race - Page 2 Empty Re: Waco 'brawlers' vs. Baltimore 'thugs' -- how the media portrayed violence differently on the basis of race

Post by Original Quill on Tue May 26, 2015 7:58 pm

Tommy Monk wrote:Blacks commit huge amounts of crime in America.

They are much more likely to assault or even kill the police officer trying to deal with them.

The police will always be overwhelmingly majority white because America is overwhelmingly majority white... plus the fact that blacks, by and large, don't want to be police.

It is blacks who are racist towards the police because they are white.

It's unfortunate that you and your kind made them that way, tommy.  The overwhelming majority of blacks are not criminals, though the poverty still exists.  The crime of which you speak is closer to them than it is to you.

Knowing that you caused it, imagine how angry they are at you.

_________________
“Little thieves are hanged, but great thieves are praised.” — Old Russian proverb, offered by Vladimir Putin to Donald J. Trump, Helsinki, July, 2018.

"I don't stand by anything."  ― Donald Trump, interview with John Dickerson, 5.1.17...

Normal is broken.

“That's libertarians for you — anarchists who want police protection from their slaves.” ― Kim Stanley Robinson, Green Mars
Original Quill
Original Quill

Posts : 28392
Join date : 2013-12-19
Age : 54
Location : Northern California

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Waco 'brawlers' vs. Baltimore 'thugs' -- how the media portrayed violence differently on the basis of race - Page 2 Empty Re: Waco 'brawlers' vs. Baltimore 'thugs' -- how the media portrayed violence differently on the basis of race

Post by Raggamuffin on Tue May 26, 2015 8:06 pm

Original Quill wrote:
Raggamuffin wrote:

I didn't say there was such a term. The fact that there isn't just confirms that the term "white trash" is indeed racist because it implies that only white people can be "trash" - which clearly isn't true because being trash is not an intrinsic characteristic of white people.

Here is the basic origin:

English Language & Usage wrote:The great bulk of the legal voters of the South were men who owned no slaves; their homes were generally in the hills and poor country; their facilities for educating their children, even up to the point of reading and writing, were very limited; their interest in the contest was very meagre—what there was, if they had been capable of seeing it, was with the North; they too needed emancipation. Under the old régime they were looked down upon by those who controlled all the affairs in the interest of slave-owners, as poor white trash who were allowed the ballot so long as they cast it according to direction.

The term 'white trash' comes from the pre-Civil War days.  It was a term invented by RW slave-owners to describe non-slave owners.  Rich RW slave-owners wanted a term that described the poor and property-less of the South.

It has nothing to do with race.  The slave-owners wanted a term to distinguish poor whites from themselves.  They were all white.  All blacks were owned and kept in poverty, so they couldn't just say 'poor'.  So they needed a term, additionally, that distinguished whites from blacks.

So they came up with 'white-trash'.  It was a term meaning not slave, yet uneducated and living in poverty.  The modern-day context crept in and engulfed the term like a fog...and here we have your contrived misinterpretation of the word.  

There are no more slaves, but there are still these same uneducated whites living in squalor and poverty.  They have always been there, and they have always been called 'white trash'.  A little understanding of history could have told you that.  A little research would have told you that.

If it's nothing to do with race, would you call a black person "white trash"?

_________________

"I could be wrong now, but I don't think so!
Raggamuffin
Raggamuffin

Posts : 33171
Join date : 2014-02-10

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Waco 'brawlers' vs. Baltimore 'thugs' -- how the media portrayed violence differently on the basis of race - Page 2 Empty Re: Waco 'brawlers' vs. Baltimore 'thugs' -- how the media portrayed violence differently on the basis of race

Post by Raggamuffin on Tue May 26, 2015 8:09 pm

I think it's a bit off to call people "trash" just because they're not rich and they're not very educated. I know you like to keep history alive Quill, but do you really have to use such a dreadful term? After all, you seem to look down on "privileged" people and you seem to stick up for those who you say are not "privileged" - or does that only apply to black people?

_________________

"I could be wrong now, but I don't think so!
Raggamuffin
Raggamuffin

Posts : 33171
Join date : 2014-02-10

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Waco 'brawlers' vs. Baltimore 'thugs' -- how the media portrayed violence differently on the basis of race - Page 2 Empty Re: Waco 'brawlers' vs. Baltimore 'thugs' -- how the media portrayed violence differently on the basis of race

Post by Ben Reilly on Tue May 26, 2015 10:36 pm

Raggamuffin wrote:
Police officers have been charged with the death of Freddie Gray though, so the riots cannot be justified on the grounds that the death of a black man has been ignored.

There can be no justification for the destruction of property in those riots, but you do seem to be justifying it tbh.

It is tribalism - rioting on behalf of someone who is the same race (or using that as an excuse) is a kind of tribalism - it's all to do with identifying with a certain group because of certain characteristics, or a feeling of having something in common.  



One -- the Baltimore riots were less deadly than the biker shootout. Two -- the Baltimore riots ended when the officers who killed Gray were charged with murder. And three, the point of making this comparison is that the Baltimore riots are treated as a symptom of something going on with black Americans as a whole, while the biker shootout is not treated as something going on with white Americans as a whole.[/quote]

_________________
Happiness is when what you think, what you say and what you do are in harmony.

-Ghandi
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly
Cowboy King. Dread Pirate of the Guadalupe. Enemy of the American people.

Posts : 26411
Join date : 2013-01-19
Age : 44
Location : Tesco's

View user profile http://www.newsfixboard.com

Back to top Go down

Waco 'brawlers' vs. Baltimore 'thugs' -- how the media portrayed violence differently on the basis of race - Page 2 Empty Re: Waco 'brawlers' vs. Baltimore 'thugs' -- how the media portrayed violence differently on the basis of race

Post by Original Quill on Wed May 27, 2015 5:36 am

Raggamuffin wrote:I think it's a bit off to call people "trash" just because they're not rich and they're not very educated. I know you like to keep history alive Quill, but do you really have to use such a dreadful term? After all, you seem to look down on "privileged" people and you seem to stick up for those who you say are not "privileged" - or does that only apply to black people?

A language lives, Raggs. "White trash" is a part of American English.

The profanity 'bloody' is a reference to menstrual blood that seeps from a female vagina.  Not a very pretty image, yet how many times to we hear, Booody hell!! even in polite company?

_________________
“Little thieves are hanged, but great thieves are praised.” — Old Russian proverb, offered by Vladimir Putin to Donald J. Trump, Helsinki, July, 2018.

"I don't stand by anything."  ― Donald Trump, interview with John Dickerson, 5.1.17...

Normal is broken.

“That's libertarians for you — anarchists who want police protection from their slaves.” ― Kim Stanley Robinson, Green Mars
Original Quill
Original Quill

Posts : 28392
Join date : 2013-12-19
Age : 54
Location : Northern California

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Waco 'brawlers' vs. Baltimore 'thugs' -- how the media portrayed violence differently on the basis of race - Page 2 Empty Re: Waco 'brawlers' vs. Baltimore 'thugs' -- how the media portrayed violence differently on the basis of race

Post by Raggamuffin on Wed May 27, 2015 9:10 am

Original Quill wrote:
Raggamuffin wrote:I think it's a bit off to call people "trash" just because they're not rich and they're not very educated. I know you like to keep history alive Quill, but do you really have to use such a dreadful term? After all, you seem to look down on "privileged" people and you seem to stick up for those who you say are not "privileged" - or does that only apply to black people?

A language lives, Raggs.  "White trash" is a part of American English.

The profanity 'bloody' is a reference to menstrual blood that seeps from a female vagina.  Not a very pretty image, yet how many times to we hear, Booody hell!! even in polite company?

You keep saying you're trying to "educate" people about racism in the US, but you're not prepared to learn anything yourself. You stubbornly cling to a racial slur on the grounds that it's traditional. No wonder you can't move on.

Isn't the N word part of American English too?

If you persist in speaking about racism, you need to change your own racist language.

_________________

"I could be wrong now, but I don't think so!
Raggamuffin
Raggamuffin

Posts : 33171
Join date : 2014-02-10

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Waco 'brawlers' vs. Baltimore 'thugs' -- how the media portrayed violence differently on the basis of race - Page 2 Empty Re: Waco 'brawlers' vs. Baltimore 'thugs' -- how the media portrayed violence differently on the basis of race

Post by Raggamuffin on Wed May 27, 2015 9:14 am

Ben_Reilly wrote:
Raggamuffin wrote:
Police officers have been charged with the death of Freddie Gray though, so the riots cannot be justified on the grounds that the death of a black man has been ignored.

There can be no justification for the destruction of property in those riots, but you do seem to be justifying it tbh.

It is tribalism - rioting on behalf of someone who is the same race (or using that as an excuse) is a kind of tribalism - it's all to do with identifying with a certain group because of certain characteristics, or a feeling of having something in common.  



One -- the Baltimore riots were less deadly than the biker shootout. Two -- the Baltimore riots ended when the officers who killed Gray were charged with murder. And three, the point of making this comparison is that the Baltimore riots are treated as a symptom of something going on with black Americans as a whole, while the biker shootout is not treated as something going on with white Americans as a whole.


There's no similarity between the two events, so why try to compare them?

_________________

"I could be wrong now, but I don't think so!
Raggamuffin
Raggamuffin

Posts : 33171
Join date : 2014-02-10

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Waco 'brawlers' vs. Baltimore 'thugs' -- how the media portrayed violence differently on the basis of race - Page 2 Empty Re: Waco 'brawlers' vs. Baltimore 'thugs' -- how the media portrayed violence differently on the basis of race

Post by Original Quill on Wed May 27, 2015 5:50 pm

Raggamuffin wrote:
Original Quill wrote:

A language lives, Raggs.  "White trash" is a part of American English.

The profanity 'bloody' is a reference to menstrual blood that seeps from a female vagina.  Not a very pretty image, yet how many times to we hear, Booody hell!! even in polite company?

You keep saying you're trying to "educate" people about racism in the US, but you're not prepared to learn anything yourself. You stubbornly cling to a racial slur on the grounds that it's traditional. No wonder you can't move on.

I have no problem moving on.  I wish RW racists would move on…y’all have been at your racism for 500-years.  You’d think you would take a break.

It’s not my job to educate.  This is a battle, not a classroom.  If I’m right and you are wrong—as is the case here—then I’m going to point it out.  It’s enough that I bother to listen to you.

Raggamuffin wrote:Isn't the N word part of American English too?

If you persist in speaking about racism, you need to change your own racist language.

One of the greatest weapons in the arsenal of RWers is the mirror-image, or reciprocal argument.  RWers observe an argument that is successful toward them, and they try to engineer the reciprocal argument back.

Here, you smart because of reaction to your use of raw, abusive language.  So, you have taken a perfectly innocent term, and tried to engineer it into a reciprocal argument.  You claim it is racist, when you ignore the only element that would make it racist: racial animus.  Language does not belong to you; it belongs to everyone.  The facts are not in your little mind, but out there.  If people use a word, it matters in what way they use it.  If you criticize a term for being racial, it is up to you to find and point out the racial animus.  In this instance, you have completely failed.

One can see the faux quality in your argument about this term in the fact that your interpretation has no history, no common usage, nor repetition.  It exists only in your tiny mind…and then for only a moment.

It’s curious that this is only a RW tactic.  Clearly, it is a purely reactive.  Is that because RWers have no imagination?  Could it be that RWers lack practice in using their minds, such that they can no longer create ideas on their own?  Or is it that they are so preoccupied with the competition, that they lose sight of the objective.  After all, why are they so concerned with tactics that they lose their bead on the subject?

Oh well, if my mind wanders it is because you have brought up nothing of any particular importance.  You are trying to raise an idea by its own bootstraps, and it isn't working.


Last edited by Original Quill on Wed May 27, 2015 5:52 pm; edited 1 time in total

_________________
“Little thieves are hanged, but great thieves are praised.” — Old Russian proverb, offered by Vladimir Putin to Donald J. Trump, Helsinki, July, 2018.

"I don't stand by anything."  ― Donald Trump, interview with John Dickerson, 5.1.17...

Normal is broken.

“That's libertarians for you — anarchists who want police protection from their slaves.” ― Kim Stanley Robinson, Green Mars
Original Quill
Original Quill

Posts : 28392
Join date : 2013-12-19
Age : 54
Location : Northern California

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Waco 'brawlers' vs. Baltimore 'thugs' -- how the media portrayed violence differently on the basis of race - Page 2 Empty Re: Waco 'brawlers' vs. Baltimore 'thugs' -- how the media portrayed violence differently on the basis of race

Post by Raggamuffin on Wed May 27, 2015 5:51 pm

Original Quill wrote:
Raggamuffin wrote:

You keep saying you're trying to "educate" people about racism in the US, but you're not prepared to learn anything yourself. You stubbornly cling to a racial slur on the grounds that it's traditional. No wonder you can't move on.

I have no problem moving on.  I wish RW racists would move on…y’all have been at your racism for 500-years.  You’d think you would take a break.



You're calling me racist? What are you basing that on?

You're the one using racial slurs. Your excuse that it's part of historical language doesn't wash - otherwise you'd use the N word too.


Last edited by Raggamuffin on Wed May 27, 2015 5:57 pm; edited 1 time in total

_________________

"I could be wrong now, but I don't think so!
Raggamuffin
Raggamuffin

Posts : 33171
Join date : 2014-02-10

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Waco 'brawlers' vs. Baltimore 'thugs' -- how the media portrayed violence differently on the basis of race - Page 2 Empty Re: Waco 'brawlers' vs. Baltimore 'thugs' -- how the media portrayed violence differently on the basis of race

Post by Raggamuffin on Wed May 27, 2015 5:54 pm

Original Quill wrote:
Raggamuffin wrote:

You keep saying you're trying to "educate" people about racism in the US, but you're not prepared to learn anything yourself. You stubbornly cling to a racial slur on the grounds that it's traditional. No wonder you can't move on.

I have no problem moving on.  I wish RW racists would move on…y’all have been at your racism for 500-years.  You’d think you would take a break.

It’s not my job to educate.  This is a battle, not a classroom.  If I’m right and you are wrong—as is the case here—then I’m going to point it out.  It’s enough that I bother to listen to you.

Raggamuffin wrote:Isn't the N word part of American English too?

If you persist in speaking about racism, you need to change your own racist language.

One of the greatest weapons in the arsenal of RWers is the mirror-image, or reciprocal argument.  RWers observe an argument that is successful toward them, and they try to engineer the reciprocal argument back.

Here, you smart because of reaction to your use of raw, abusive language.  So, you have taken a perfectly innocent term, and tried to engineer it into a reciprocal argument.  You claim it is racist, when you ignore the only element that would make it racist: racial animus.  Language does not belong to you; it belongs to everyone.  The facts are not in your little mind, but out there.  If people use a word, it matters in what way they use it.  If you criticize a term for being racial, it is up to you to find and point out the racial animus.  In this instance, you have completely failed.

One can see the faux quality in your argument about this term in the fact that your interpretation has no history, no common usage, nor repetition.  It exists only in your tiny mind…and then for only a moment.

It’s curious that this is only a RW tactic.  Clearly, it is a purely reactive.  Is that because RWers have no imagination?  Could it be that RWers lack practice in using their minds, such that they can no longer create ideas on their own?  Or is it that they are so preoccupied with the competition, that they lose sight of the objective.  After all, why are they so concerned with tactics that they lose their bead on the subject?

Oh well, if my mind wanders it is because you have brought up nothing of any particular importance.  You are trying to raise an idea by its own bootstraps, and it isn't working.

Nice try to deflect attention and blame others for your racism. Laughing

I completely succeeded in showing you why the term you use is racist - it's not my fault that you have double standards. Cool

_________________

"I could be wrong now, but I don't think so!
Raggamuffin
Raggamuffin

Posts : 33171
Join date : 2014-02-10

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Waco 'brawlers' vs. Baltimore 'thugs' -- how the media portrayed violence differently on the basis of race - Page 2 Empty Re: Waco 'brawlers' vs. Baltimore 'thugs' -- how the media portrayed violence differently on the basis of race

Post by Original Quill on Wed May 27, 2015 6:00 pm

Raggamuffin wrote:
Original Quill wrote:

I have no problem moving on.  I wish RW racists would move on…y’all have been at your racism for 500-years.  You’d think you would take a break.



You're calling me racist? What are you basing that one?

Of course. That is the sum and substance of your whole argument. You are trying to justify your racism by undercutting the facts ("it didn't happen" or "it didn't happen that way") and/or by a series of fall-back accusations ("you do it too").

Raggamuffin wrote:You're the one using racial slurs. Your excuse that it's part of historical language doesn't wash - otherwise you'd use the N word too.

See above. We are all done with that line.

_________________
“Little thieves are hanged, but great thieves are praised.” — Old Russian proverb, offered by Vladimir Putin to Donald J. Trump, Helsinki, July, 2018.

"I don't stand by anything."  ― Donald Trump, interview with John Dickerson, 5.1.17...

Normal is broken.

“That's libertarians for you — anarchists who want police protection from their slaves.” ― Kim Stanley Robinson, Green Mars
Original Quill
Original Quill

Posts : 28392
Join date : 2013-12-19
Age : 54
Location : Northern California

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Waco 'brawlers' vs. Baltimore 'thugs' -- how the media portrayed violence differently on the basis of race - Page 2 Empty Re: Waco 'brawlers' vs. Baltimore 'thugs' -- how the media portrayed violence differently on the basis of race

Post by Original Quill on Wed May 27, 2015 6:06 pm

Ragggamuffin wrote:I completely succeeded in showing you why the term you use is racist - it's not my fault that you have double standards. Cool

You're desperate. Retreat and cool down...you'll come back better after you think it through.

_________________
“Little thieves are hanged, but great thieves are praised.” — Old Russian proverb, offered by Vladimir Putin to Donald J. Trump, Helsinki, July, 2018.

"I don't stand by anything."  ― Donald Trump, interview with John Dickerson, 5.1.17...

Normal is broken.

“That's libertarians for you — anarchists who want police protection from their slaves.” ― Kim Stanley Robinson, Green Mars
Original Quill
Original Quill

Posts : 28392
Join date : 2013-12-19
Age : 54
Location : Northern California

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Waco 'brawlers' vs. Baltimore 'thugs' -- how the media portrayed violence differently on the basis of race - Page 2 Empty Re: Waco 'brawlers' vs. Baltimore 'thugs' -- how the media portrayed violence differently on the basis of race

Post by Raggamuffin on Wed May 27, 2015 6:06 pm

Original Quill wrote:
Raggamuffin wrote:

You're calling me racist? What are you basing that one?

Of course.  That is the sum and substance of your whole argument.  You are trying to justify your racism by undercutting the facts ("it didn't happen" or "it didn't happen that way") and/or by a series of fall-back accusations ("you do it too").

Raggamuffin wrote:You're the one using racial slurs. Your excuse that it's part of historical language doesn't wash - otherwise you'd use the N word too.

See above.  We are all done with that line.

What racism? Care to quote it?

No, I didn't think so because you just invented it. Razz

Jermaine Jackson disagrees with you, by the way. He was pulled up for using the term "white trash" when he was in Big Brother, and he said he wouldn't call something a name which belittled them.

I'll decide when I'm "done" with an issue. As long as you keep on defending your use of that racial slur, I'll keep mentioning it. Wink

_________________

"I could be wrong now, but I don't think so!
Raggamuffin
Raggamuffin

Posts : 33171
Join date : 2014-02-10

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Waco 'brawlers' vs. Baltimore 'thugs' -- how the media portrayed violence differently on the basis of race - Page 2 Empty Re: Waco 'brawlers' vs. Baltimore 'thugs' -- how the media portrayed violence differently on the basis of race

Post by Raggamuffin on Wed May 27, 2015 6:07 pm

Original Quill wrote:
Ragggamuffin wrote:I completely succeeded in showing you why the term you use is racist - it's not my fault that you have double standards. Cool

You're desperate.  Retreat and cool down...you'll come back better after you think it through.

I think you need to go away and think about what you've done, then come back and admit that you used a racial slur. Smile

_________________

"I could be wrong now, but I don't think so!
Raggamuffin
Raggamuffin

Posts : 33171
Join date : 2014-02-10

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Waco 'brawlers' vs. Baltimore 'thugs' -- how the media portrayed violence differently on the basis of race - Page 2 Empty Re: Waco 'brawlers' vs. Baltimore 'thugs' -- how the media portrayed violence differently on the basis of race

Post by Tommy Monk on Wed May 27, 2015 7:58 pm

Original Quill wrote:
Tommy Monk wrote:Blacks commit huge amounts of crime in America.

They are much more likely to assault or even kill the police officer trying to deal with them.

The police will always be overwhelmingly majority white because America is overwhelmingly majority white... plus the fact that blacks, by and large, don't want to be police.

It is blacks who are racist towards the police because they are white.

It's unfortunate that you and your kind made them that way, tommy.  The overwhelming majority of blacks are not criminals, though the poverty still exists.  The crime of which you speak is closer to them than it is to you.

Knowing that you caused it, imagine how angry they are at you.


Nothing to do with me, don't try to blame me for the criminality of others.


The do it to themselves.

_________________
“Truth is ever to be found in the simplicity, and not in the multiplicity and confusion of things.” — Isaac Newton

'The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it.'  — George Orwell
Tommy Monk
Tommy Monk

Posts : 22475
Join date : 2014-02-12

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Waco 'brawlers' vs. Baltimore 'thugs' -- how the media portrayed violence differently on the basis of race - Page 2 Empty Re: Waco 'brawlers' vs. Baltimore 'thugs' -- how the media portrayed violence differently on the basis of race

Post by Raggamuffin on Wed May 27, 2015 8:00 pm

Tommy Monk wrote:
Original Quill wrote:

It's unfortunate that you and your kind made them that way, tommy.  The overwhelming majority of blacks are not criminals, though the poverty still exists.  The crime of which you speak is closer to them than it is to you.

Knowing that you caused it, imagine how angry they are at you.


Nothing to do with me, don't try to blame me for the criminality of others.


The do it to themselves.

It's all your fault Tommy - shame on you. Laughing

_________________

"I could be wrong now, but I don't think so!
Raggamuffin
Raggamuffin

Posts : 33171
Join date : 2014-02-10

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Waco 'brawlers' vs. Baltimore 'thugs' -- how the media portrayed violence differently on the basis of race - Page 2 Empty Re: Waco 'brawlers' vs. Baltimore 'thugs' -- how the media portrayed violence differently on the basis of race

Post by Raggamuffin on Wed May 27, 2015 8:04 pm

I want to know about this "raw, abusive language" I've used on here. Laughing

_________________

"I could be wrong now, but I don't think so!
Raggamuffin
Raggamuffin

Posts : 33171
Join date : 2014-02-10

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Waco 'brawlers' vs. Baltimore 'thugs' -- how the media portrayed violence differently on the basis of race - Page 2 Empty Re: Waco 'brawlers' vs. Baltimore 'thugs' -- how the media portrayed violence differently on the basis of race

Post by Ben Reilly on Wed May 27, 2015 10:06 pm

Raggamuffin wrote:
Ben_Reilly wrote:
Raggamuffin wrote:
Police officers have been charged with the death of Freddie Gray though, so the riots cannot be justified on the grounds that the death of a black man has been ignored.

There can be no justification for the destruction of property in those riots, but you do seem to be justifying it tbh.

It is tribalism - rioting on behalf of someone who is the same race (or using that as an excuse) is a kind of tribalism - it's all to do with identifying with a certain group because of certain characteristics, or a feeling of having something in common.  



One -- the Baltimore riots were less deadly than the biker shootout. Two -- the Baltimore riots ended when the officers who killed Gray were charged with murder. And three, the point of making this comparison is that the Baltimore riots are treated as a symptom of something going on with black Americans as a whole, while the biker shootout is not treated as something going on with white Americans as a whole.


There's no similarity between the two events, so why try to compare them?

To expose the double standard the news media has when reporting on violence committed by black people and violence committed by white people, obviously.

_________________
Happiness is when what you think, what you say and what you do are in harmony.

-Ghandi
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly
Cowboy King. Dread Pirate of the Guadalupe. Enemy of the American people.

Posts : 26411
Join date : 2013-01-19
Age : 44
Location : Tesco's

View user profile http://www.newsfixboard.com

Back to top Go down

Waco 'brawlers' vs. Baltimore 'thugs' -- how the media portrayed violence differently on the basis of race - Page 2 Empty Re: Waco 'brawlers' vs. Baltimore 'thugs' -- how the media portrayed violence differently on the basis of race

Post by Raggamuffin on Wed May 27, 2015 10:18 pm

Ben_Reilly wrote:
Raggamuffin wrote:


There's no similarity between the two events, so why try to compare them?

To expose the double standard the news media has when reporting on violence committed by black people and violence committed by white people, obviously.

It won't work because the two situations are not the same. If you were talking about white people rioting because a white person got killed, maybe you could compare that to the Baltimore thing. Besides, didn't Quill say that it wasn't just black people rioting in Baltimore?


_________________

"I could be wrong now, but I don't think so!
Raggamuffin
Raggamuffin

Posts : 33171
Join date : 2014-02-10

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Waco 'brawlers' vs. Baltimore 'thugs' -- how the media portrayed violence differently on the basis of race - Page 2 Empty Re: Waco 'brawlers' vs. Baltimore 'thugs' -- how the media portrayed violence differently on the basis of race

Post by Raggamuffin on Wed May 27, 2015 10:22 pm

Is all this just because someone called the people who wrecked businesses and cars "thugs"? Why is that racist?

_________________

"I could be wrong now, but I don't think so!
Raggamuffin
Raggamuffin

Posts : 33171
Join date : 2014-02-10

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Waco 'brawlers' vs. Baltimore 'thugs' -- how the media portrayed violence differently on the basis of race - Page 2 Empty Re: Waco 'brawlers' vs. Baltimore 'thugs' -- how the media portrayed violence differently on the basis of race

Post by Ben Reilly on Wed May 27, 2015 10:34 pm

It was because the Baltimore riots, like many similar incidents, are talked about in the media as though they are part and parcel of, or stem from, the black community, while things like this biker shootout are not talked about as though they are "white community problems."

I've said this several times already, Raggs -- are you not reading my responses to you?

_________________
Happiness is when what you think, what you say and what you do are in harmony.

-Ghandi
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly
Cowboy King. Dread Pirate of the Guadalupe. Enemy of the American people.

Posts : 26411
Join date : 2013-01-19
Age : 44
Location : Tesco's

View user profile http://www.newsfixboard.com

Back to top Go down

Waco 'brawlers' vs. Baltimore 'thugs' -- how the media portrayed violence differently on the basis of race - Page 2 Empty Re: Waco 'brawlers' vs. Baltimore 'thugs' -- how the media portrayed violence differently on the basis of race

Post by Raggamuffin on Wed May 27, 2015 10:41 pm

Ben_Reilly wrote:It was because the Baltimore riots, like many similar incidents, are talked about in the media as though they are part and parcel of, or stem from, the black community, while things like this biker shootout are not talked about as though they are "white community problems."

I've said this several times already, Raggs -- are you not reading my responses to you?

Do you have any examples of that? All I've read about are the facts and about the damage to people and property.

I really don't get the article you posted at the start of this thread. I don't see the problem with calling the rioters thugs - I would call some of them worse things than that.

_________________

"I could be wrong now, but I don't think so!
Raggamuffin
Raggamuffin

Posts : 33171
Join date : 2014-02-10

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Waco 'brawlers' vs. Baltimore 'thugs' -- how the media portrayed violence differently on the basis of race - Page 2 Empty Re: Waco 'brawlers' vs. Baltimore 'thugs' -- how the media portrayed violence differently on the basis of race

Post by Ben Reilly on Wed May 27, 2015 11:11 pm

http://www.npr.org/sections/codeswitch/2015/05/18/407741060/heres-what-people-are-saying-about-the-waco-shootout-and-race

_________________
Happiness is when what you think, what you say and what you do are in harmony.

-Ghandi
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly
Cowboy King. Dread Pirate of the Guadalupe. Enemy of the American people.

Posts : 26411
Join date : 2013-01-19
Age : 44
Location : Tesco's

View user profile http://www.newsfixboard.com

Back to top Go down

Waco 'brawlers' vs. Baltimore 'thugs' -- how the media portrayed violence differently on the basis of race - Page 2 Empty Re: Waco 'brawlers' vs. Baltimore 'thugs' -- how the media portrayed violence differently on the basis of race

Post by Original Quill on Thu May 28, 2015 5:59 am

Raggamuffin wrote:
Tommy Monk wrote:


Nothing to do with me, don't try to blame me for the criminality of others.


The do it to themselves.

It's all your fault Tommy - shame on you. Laughing

You don't pay your debts, tommy. Coward.

_________________
“Little thieves are hanged, but great thieves are praised.” — Old Russian proverb, offered by Vladimir Putin to Donald J. Trump, Helsinki, July, 2018.

"I don't stand by anything."  ― Donald Trump, interview with John Dickerson, 5.1.17...

Normal is broken.

“That's libertarians for you — anarchists who want police protection from their slaves.” ― Kim Stanley Robinson, Green Mars
Original Quill
Original Quill

Posts : 28392
Join date : 2013-12-19
Age : 54
Location : Northern California

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Waco 'brawlers' vs. Baltimore 'thugs' -- how the media portrayed violence differently on the basis of race - Page 2 Empty Re: Waco 'brawlers' vs. Baltimore 'thugs' -- how the media portrayed violence differently on the basis of race

Post by Original Quill on Thu May 28, 2015 6:11 am

Ben_Reilly wrote:It was because the Baltimore riots, like many similar incidents, are talked about in the media as though they are part and parcel of, or stem from, the black community, while things like this biker shootout are not talked about as though they are "white community problems."

I've said this several times already, Raggs -- are you not reading my responses to you?

Your point is perfectly valid. Being a newsman, I understand how you take that slant. But Raggs is on an anti-black slant, and if it doesn't support her brand of racism she won't see any analogy.

She just makes shit up to suit what she wants to be the case. Freddie Gray didn't die? But somebody's car sure got torched...whoa nelly! You can't carry on a worthwhile conversation with her. No logic. No facts. No morals.

_________________
“Little thieves are hanged, but great thieves are praised.” — Old Russian proverb, offered by Vladimir Putin to Donald J. Trump, Helsinki, July, 2018.

"I don't stand by anything."  ― Donald Trump, interview with John Dickerson, 5.1.17...

Normal is broken.

“That's libertarians for you — anarchists who want police protection from their slaves.” ― Kim Stanley Robinson, Green Mars
Original Quill
Original Quill

Posts : 28392
Join date : 2013-12-19
Age : 54
Location : Northern California

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Waco 'brawlers' vs. Baltimore 'thugs' -- how the media portrayed violence differently on the basis of race - Page 2 Empty Re: Waco 'brawlers' vs. Baltimore 'thugs' -- how the media portrayed violence differently on the basis of race

Post by Raggamuffin on Thu May 28, 2015 7:59 am

Original Quill wrote:
Ben_Reilly wrote:It was because the Baltimore riots, like many similar incidents, are talked about in the media as though they are part and parcel of, or stem from, the black community, while things like this biker shootout are not talked about as though they are "white community problems."

I've said this several times already, Raggs -- are you not reading my responses to you?

Your point is perfectly valid.  Being a newsman, I understand how you take that slant.  But Raggs is on an anti-black slant, and if it doesn't support her brand of racism she won't see any analogy.  

She just makes shit up to suit what she wants to be the case.  Freddie Gray didn't die?  But somebody's car sure got torched...whoa nelly!  You can't carry on a worthwhile conversation with her.  No logic.  No facts.  No morals.


The death of a person doesn't justify the torching of someone else's car or the wrecking of someone's business. You see the people who did those things as victims or possibly heroes, but I don't.

The problem is people like you who excuse some people on the basis of their colour, and hold others responsible for the crimes of those people. You even blame white people who weren't in Baltimore, or never even set foot in the US.


_________________

"I could be wrong now, but I don't think so!
Raggamuffin
Raggamuffin

Posts : 33171
Join date : 2014-02-10

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Waco 'brawlers' vs. Baltimore 'thugs' -- how the media portrayed violence differently on the basis of race - Page 2 Empty Re: Waco 'brawlers' vs. Baltimore 'thugs' -- how the media portrayed violence differently on the basis of race

Post by Raggamuffin on Thu May 28, 2015 8:27 am

Ben_Reilly wrote:http://www.npr.org/sections/codeswitch/2015/05/18/407741060/heres-what-people-are-saying-about-the-waco-shootout-and-race

Let's take those photos first. The photo in Waco was taken when the incident was over, not when it was in full flow. Are there any photos of the situation as it was occurring? During a riot, of course police will be more aggressive - they are trying to contain an ongoing situation.

Re the issue of "riots" and "thugs", how else would you describe a situation where people were committing arson, getting into shops and wrecking them, and stealing things which didn't belong to them? Quite a few police officers were injured too, some of them seriously.  That's hardly a "peaceful protest" is it?

The Waco incident was in one place, and it was one set of people against another - they weren't going around smashing up restaurants, setting fire to the cars of people who had nothing to do with it, or hurling abuse at the police. There were more than 170 arrests, and bail was set at $1 million for each one. How is that favouritism in any way?

I can't believe that people have made something out this - it's really clutching at straws. Where is the empathy for the bikers who died? Nowhere to be seen.

Do you want to discuss the disgusting media bias in the case of the shooting of Trayvon Martin?


Last edited by Raggamuffin on Thu May 28, 2015 8:43 am; edited 3 times in total

_________________

"I could be wrong now, but I don't think so!
Raggamuffin
Raggamuffin

Posts : 33171
Join date : 2014-02-10

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Waco 'brawlers' vs. Baltimore 'thugs' -- how the media portrayed violence differently on the basis of race - Page 2 Empty Re: Waco 'brawlers' vs. Baltimore 'thugs' -- how the media portrayed violence differently on the basis of race

Post by Raggamuffin on Thu May 28, 2015 8:28 am

Original Quill wrote:
Raggamuffin wrote:

It's all your fault Tommy - shame on you. Laughing

You don't pay your debts, tommy.  Coward.

Does he owe you money? Waco 'brawlers' vs. Baltimore 'thugs' -- how the media portrayed violence differently on the basis of race - Page 2 202592697

_________________

"I could be wrong now, but I don't think so!
Raggamuffin
Raggamuffin

Posts : 33171
Join date : 2014-02-10

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Back to top


 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum