WATER, water everywhere...

Go down

WATER, water everywhere...

Post by Lone Wolf on Thu Apr 23, 2015 12:16 pm

affraid

AAAARRRGGHH..........
WE'RE drowning....

HAS veya gone under yet ???   ANYBODY seen him over the last day or two..

THE Hunter and Central Coast regions of NSW have been lashed by storms for much of this weak;  with the tail end of the flooding rains hitting northern and southern parts of the Sydney Basin a couple of days later..
(Fortunately, I haven't been flooded (I am 15 metres above sea level here..), but I also do have kayak, wetsuit and skindiving gear at the ready !)   drunken

READ more @  http://www.theherald.com.au/story/3029944/aerial-view-captures-the-extent-of-storm-devastation/?cs=305
http://www.theherald.com.au/story/3032922/thousands-may-be-isolated-by-floodwater-for-days/?cs=305

SOME Sydney-centric media sources are trying to label this as the "Sydney Storm" of 2015, but don't believe it folks !

THE proper designation should be the 'Dungog' (or Dungog-Maitland..) Floods, or even the Lower Hunter floods ~  NO WAY should the Sydney mafia be allowed to steal 'our' storm, when they only copped the tail-end !
Sydney's a good 2->3 hours drive South of the storm centre !   tongue

Lone Wolf

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: WATER, water everywhere...

Post by Original Quill on Thu Apr 23, 2015 4:58 pm

Wow!  Lake Mac is being hit hard.  We've got the exact opposite problem.

Is this El Niño?

"I don't stand by anything."  ― Donald Trump, interview with John Dickerson, 5.1.17...

“That's libertarians for you — anarchists who want police protection from their slaves.” ― Kim Stanley Robinson, Green Mars

Someone is above the rule of law in America.
Original Quill

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by veya_victaous on Thu Apr 23, 2015 10:47 pm

umm wolf it is flooded all the way to Kiama
a good 2-3 hours south of Sydney thus Sydney is actually the centre of the storm

I was lucky and didn't lose power, few leaks but the roof stayed on, we are the top the hill so generally don't get flooded. I took 2 days off work though buggered if I was going to try to catch the train into the city, I have about a km walk to the office and my umbrella died on the way home Monday... really any excuse will do Wink

@quill
it seem to just be 2 large storm cells meeting on the coast.

We don't know the Questions... does that means we cannot seek the Answers?
veya_victaous
The Mod Loki, Minister of Chaos & Candy, Emperor of the Southern Realms, Captain Kangaroo

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by veya_victaous on Thu Apr 23, 2015 10:51 pm

Parramatta river was the highest anyone has seen it
Ferry wharf completely under

We don't know the Questions... does that means we cannot seek the Answers?
veya_victaous
The Mod Loki, Minister of Chaos & Candy, Emperor of the Southern Realms, Captain Kangaroo

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Lone Wolf on Fri Apr 24, 2015 7:26 am

Suspect  

LAKE MACQUARIE has had higher rainfall than any points anywhere south of Wyong...

DUNGOG has had double the rainfall of areas around LMCC and Newcastle council areas...

DUNGOG and MAITLAND have been confirmed the worst hit areas in the State by :
the Government;
the State Emergency Service;
the State Fire and Rescue brigade;
the Department of Meteorology..

THE storm first hit the coast just north of Newcastle, more than a day ahead of Sydney...    Neutral

HAVE a look at the weather map for Tuesday above, and by the rainfall you can see where the two storms were centred over Dungog and Southern Lake Macquarie..

THAT photo' of the Parramatta River is what the creek here looked like back in 2007 and earlier in 1974 !

OVER 60% of the damage reported so far has been in the Lower Hunter Valley and on the Central Coast..

OF the 7 people reported dead so far, there have been 3 in Dungog, 2 in Singleton, 1 outside Maitland at Gillieston Heights, and 1 at Gosford ~ none (yet) south of the Hawkesbury.

AREAS south of the Georges River have seen bugger all, compared with around here ~ only need to look at the weather maps !   Arrow

Lone Wolf

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Fri Apr 24, 2015 7:56 pm

ya never right are you wolfie....

this time last year you were cooking.....

Back to top Go down

Post by WhoseYourWolfie on Sun Oct 01, 2017 9:21 am

Arrow

2015 Dungog Storm : Update --

Last week, the NSW State Coroner's Court released it's conclusions and recommendations into the storm...

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-09-29/fatal-flash-flood-hunter-valley-could-not-have-been-predicted/9001418

http://www.theherald.com.au/story/4882889/inquest-into-dungog-superstorm-deaths/

Henry David Thoreau
WhoseYourWolfie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by smelly-bandit on Sun Oct 01, 2017 10:16 am

Because climate change

Now pay me

“Sometimes people hold a core belief that is very strong. When they are presented with evidence that works against that belief, the new evidence cannot be accepted. It would create a feeling that is extremely uncomfortable, called cognitive dissonance. And because it is so important to protect the core belief, they will rationalize,ignore and even deny anything that doesn't fit in with the core belief."

- Frantz Fanon
--------------------------------------

IT'S OK TO BE.

smelly-bandit

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Sun Oct 01, 2017 10:27 am

smelly-bandit wrote:Because climate change

Now pay me

Or you could stop being in denial and actually read the scientific evidence you fear so much.

Back to top Go down

Post by nicko on Sun Oct 01, 2017 11:23 am

What happens to your Bees Wolfie>?
nicko

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by WhoseYourWolfie on Sun Oct 01, 2017 1:11 pm

nicko wrote:
What happens to your Bees Wolfie>?

Smile

They were high and dry at the time; and far enough away from the actual flood areas..

Henry David Thoreau
WhoseYourWolfie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by nicko on Sun Oct 01, 2017 1:15 pm

Interested, if the flowers are under water can they be fed on sugared water?
nicko

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by WhoseYourWolfie on Mon Oct 02, 2017 3:01 am

nicko wrote:
Interested,    if the flowers are under water can they be fed on sugared water?

Smile

I can give both a short and a long answer to that question...

First, the easy and direct answer :
If there is a dearth of flowers for the bees, then they can be fed on sugar syrup for up to several weeks, maybe a couple of months --  as a substitute for the nectar..
After the first couple of weeks, they will also need a source of protein (normally found in the pollen that they collect from flowers..) for feeding bee larvae and for nurse bees to produce Royal Jelly..   Pollen supplements are available, using the likes of soy "flour" and powdered milk to provide the protein, but for longer use collected/stored pollen needs to be added to make an effective pollen "substitute".

However, as in most of these nutritional matters, "natural is always better" over the long term..

Hence, my 'longer' second answer :

While it would be quite possible --  and essential for some beekeepers under certain conditions --  to feed the beehives when natural nectar and pollen sources aren't available,  my first preference would be to move those hives to 'greener pastures', preferably to somewhere with good pollen and nectar supplies for recovery and rebuilding...

Protein from pollen is fed to developing larvae, as well as carboydrates from nectar (Honey is the result of processing nectar by bees (via removing moisture and adding enzymes..) to allow 'surplus' honey to be stored within the hive for leaner periods..) --  the conditions under which the larvae are fed contributes totally to the bees body protein levels (as worker bees only feed on nectar once they have hatched out..).   Poor conditions will mean both lower populations in hives, and shorter-lived bees over subsequent generations.

The main flowering plants that might go underwater from this perspective could be things like pasture spp. like clovers and lucerne/alfalfa, and flowering crops the likes like canola, mustard, turnips, buckwheat (grain crops such as wheat, barley, oats, maize, aren't dependent on honeybees for pollination..).

(Out on floodplains where clover, alfalfa, canola and such might be grown as irrigated crops, hives might be drowned or carried away at the same time if situated low enough, but I've never had hives in such situations myself..).

Most of the time around here, there may be other floral sources up on higher ground and hillsides to tide bees over.

In some places, some trees that don't mind 'wet feet' -- such as River Red Gums, melaleucas, mangroves, tea trees, Swamp Mahogany -- can keep on flowering while floodwaters are lapping their trunks -- so as long as the hives are sitting up on higher ground, they might still be able to work some such species..

flower

Henry David Thoreau
WhoseYourWolfie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by nicko on Mon Oct 02, 2017 6:12 am

Thanks for the info, always been interested in Bees, since stung on the arse while having a dump !
nicko

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down