Australian teenagers held over alleged Melbourne terror plot

Go down

Australian teenagers held over alleged Melbourne terror plot

Post by Irn Bru on Sat Apr 18, 2015 6:37 pm

Police in Australia say they have foiled an Islamic State-inspired plot to carry out an attack at a World War One centenary event.

Police arrested five suspects, including two 18-year-olds being held for alleged terrorism-related offences.

They said the men were planning to target police at an Anzac memorial event in Melbourne next week.

About 200 police officers took part in the counter-terrorism operation in the city early on Saturday.

Acting Deputy Police Commissioner Neil Gaughan told reporters that evidence suggested the suspects had been influenced by Islamic State.

One of the men, Sevdet Besim, appeared in Melbourne Magistrates Court and was charged with conspiring to commit a terrorist act.

Police say a second man held on terrorism-related offences is also likely to be charged.

A third man, also 18, was arrested on weapons charges and two other teenagers, aged 18 and 19, were in custody and assisting with inquiries.

Officials referred to possible attacks using "edged weapons", but Mr Gaughan said there was no evidence to suggest there was "a planned beheading".


http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-australia-32361721

Good job the Australian cops caught this lot out. WWI commemorations FGS.


_________________
The conservative feels safe and content only if he is assured that some higher wisdom watches and supervises change, only if he knows that some authority is charged with keeping the change "orderly.

Friedrich Hayek

In other words a bunch of cap-doffers and forelock tuggers.
avatar
Irn Bru
The Tartan terror. Keeper of the royal sporran. Chief Haggis Hunter

Posts : 7719
Join date : 2013-12-12
Location : Edinburgh

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Back to top

- Similar topics

 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum