My dog DOES NOT HAVE CANCER!!!!!

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

My dog DOES NOT HAVE CANCER!!!!!

Post by Ben Reilly on Fri Apr 17, 2015 9:29 pm

Just found out, stage III canine lymphoma.

I'm probably not going to be around as much for a while, this is devastating.

Sending blood samples for confirmation showed that she does not have cancer at all! Instead, the vet thinks she either has an infection (we're getting medication for that in a few minutes) or perhaps was stung or bitten by something poisonous.

Such an incredible relief

Last edited by Ben_Reilly on Tue Apr 21, 2015 7:18 pm; edited 1 time in total

Cory Doctorow, Walkaway
Ben Reilly
Cowboy King. Dread Pirate of the Guadalupe. Enemy of the American People.

View user profile http://www.newsfixboard.com

Back to top Go down

Re: My dog DOES NOT HAVE CANCER!!!!!

Post by Guest on Fri Apr 17, 2015 9:32 pm

sorry to hear this Ben, its horrible to deal with i have been through it with my cat i had her for 19 years and nursed her until the end, but you need to be with your dog .

take care

Back to top Go down

Post by Irn Bru on Fri Apr 17, 2015 9:36 pm

Sorry to hear that Ben. They're one of the family and always sad to lose a friend.

Friedrich Hayek

In other words a bunch of cap-doffers and forelock tuggers.
Irn Bru
The Tartan terror. Keeper of the royal sporran. Chief Haggis Hunter

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by sassy on Fri Apr 17, 2015 9:42 pm

Oh Ben, I'm so sorry, it's awful when you have a much loved dog, who is your family, ill and getting to the end of their lives. Been there, will be thinking of you xx

The Left want to make life easier for as many people as possible, The Right want to make life easier for themselves and fuck everyone else.
sassy
Convicted Hex Offender

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by sassy on Fri Apr 17, 2015 9:44 pm

Just in case this helps http://www.advancedveterinarycarecenter.com/canine-lymphoma2.html

Seems he still has a chance, hope you have pet insurance.

The Left want to make life easier for as many people as possible, The Right want to make life easier for themselves and fuck everyone else.
sassy
Convicted Hex Offender

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Fri Apr 17, 2015 9:47 pm

thats awful Ben, so sorry for you ....

Back to top Go down

Post by captain on Fri Apr 17, 2015 10:39 pm

Ben all of the above. Sad

If only we could obtain some things or more knowledge we could do so much more. Some people have it sussed and can cure many of these things. Our pet's are so special.
captain

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Fri Apr 17, 2015 11:49 pm

Ben_Reilly wrote:

Oh god mate i am so sorry to hear that
know my thoughts are with you and your wee pal Sad

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie on Sat Apr 18, 2015 12:44 am

Ah Ben, so so sorry. Dogs are our best friends, loyal to the end.

Thinking of you xxx

~ Charles F. Kettering
eddie
king of beards. Keeper of the Whip. head cook and bottle washer. Senior mushroom muncher

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Cass on Sat Apr 18, 2015 12:48 am

Oh hon....how awful for you and him. Be with him, play with him, make good memories for yourself and make him happy and comfortable. He knows that he is loved xxxxx

Nerd Queen
Nerd Queen

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Original Quill on Sat Apr 18, 2015 2:11 am

Peace ben...hope for the best.

Terrorism: "..many fine people, on many sides" ― Donald Trump, Charlottesville, 8.15.17

"Work for America to fail whenever the other party is in power."
― Republican Senator Majority Leader Mitch McConnell
Original Quill

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Eilzel on Sat Apr 18, 2015 2:49 am

Sorry to hear that Ben, take care.

"People who fear demons see demons everywhere"

Eilzel
Speaker of the House

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by feelthelove on Sat Apr 18, 2015 10:11 am

That's terrible news, I'm so sorry Ben. Take care, we'll all be thinking of you and your little one xxx

Queen of Smilies

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by nicko on Sat Apr 18, 2015 11:16 am

Ben, when he goes over "rainbow bridge" remember, he will be waiting for you on the other side fit and well.
nicko

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Sat Apr 18, 2015 11:52 am

Ben, its all been said.
I know what he means to you.
You are both in my thoughts xxx

Back to top Go down

Post by nicko on Sat Apr 18, 2015 3:04 pm

I had one cat put to sleep in my arms, another put to sleep when I wasn't there. the worst of the lot, my little Jack Russel put to sleep in my arms after a Heart attack.

You don't really get over them, certain things bring the memories back.

Ben, you have my deepest sympathy.
nicko

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by sassy on Sat Apr 18, 2015 3:10 pm

You're so right Nicko, had three dogs put to sleep while I held them over the years, and although you tell yourself that you have done you best for them and they have had a good life and have been loved to bits, it still breaks your heart because they are the best friends you ever have, and they are family.

sassy
Convicted Hex Offender

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by feelthelove on Sat Apr 18, 2015 4:10 pm

Ben_Reilly wrote:

Ben I've been reading up a bit on this and it seems that dogs who are in stage III respond well to chemo.  It doesn't cure it but can put the cancer into remission for 9-14 months.  They can also have another lot of chemo but the second is not generally as successful and doesn't last as long.

On the plus side as vets are aiming for remission only they use lower doses of chemo than in humans so most dogs feel well during the treatment.  As Sassy says, if you have pet insurance it might be something to think about.  I guess the treatment is expensive Sad

Thinking of you both, heartbreaking news xxx

Queen of Smilies

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by sassy on Sat Apr 18, 2015 11:24 pm

I'm off for two weeks Ben, I hope that things go ok and you have better news, you and your dog take care xx

sassy
Convicted Hex Offender

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Reilly on Sat Apr 18, 2015 11:33 pm

Thanks, everyone. What we're looking at now is a possible brain tumor along with cancer in several of her lymph nodes; she's been given a prognosis of about half a year without treatment. The reason for suspecting a brain tumor is she's been having seizures a few times per day, so we've got some medicine for that as well. It doesn't appear she's actually suffering and she still has her appetite, and when not seizing she's pretty much her normal, playful self.

It's very tough but so many people have simply lost their pets (I had a dog as a kid that ran away and disappeared), or that have been killed by vehicles -- at least with this, it won't be that out-of-the-blue trauma.

We might very well decide to try a chemo treatment (thanks for the information, FTL), but we probably won't try more than one session. We really just want her to be as happy and comfortable as can be for whatever time she has left. She's nearly 10 and we've had her for most of her life, so we're just trying to appreciate the time we've had with her and whatever might be left.

It's been striking me lately how we all logically know that something like this is waiting for all of us and everyone and thing that we love, yet it's basically impossible to just accept it ... Sad

Cory Doctorow, Walkaway
Ben Reilly

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Sat Apr 18, 2015 11:35 pm

i just had to rush up to the vets with jack today thought he had broken his ankle/wrist ........bottom part of his foot jumping of the couch
i have to admit to being a bit panicky after what happened last year
fortunately it looks like all it was was a very bad knock

but the emotions that run through at time like this are intense

wouldn't wish that on anybody

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Sat Apr 18, 2015 11:42 pm

Ben_Reilly wrote:Thanks, everyone. What we're looking at now is a possible brain tumor along with cancer in several of her lymph nodes; she's been given a prognosis of about half a year without treatment. The reason for suspecting a brain tumor is she's been having seizures a few times per day, so we've got some medicine for that as well. It doesn't appear she's actually suffering and she still has her appetite, and when not seizing she's pretty much her normal, playful self.

It's very tough but so many people have simply lost their pets (I had a dog as a kid that ran away and disappeared), or that have been killed by vehicles -- at least with this, it won't be that out-of-the-blue trauma.

We might very well decide to try a chemo treatment (thanks for the information, FTL), but we probably won't try more than one session. We really just want her to be as happy and comfortable as can be for whatever time she has left. She's nearly 10 and we've had her for most of her life, so we're just trying to appreciate the time we've had with her and whatever might be left.

It's been striking me lately how we all logically know that something like this is waiting for all of us and everyone and thing that we love, yet it's basically impossible to just accept it ... Sad
just accepting it is never going to happen ben all you can do is your best
i still have a tear or two for bella now and again even after a year i guess i always will and i hold on to that
but the love the trust and the friendship they give you never dies it is part of you it always will be and i hold on to that she was my girl always will be
shit have a tear in my eye and shivers up my spine as i write

Back to top Go down

Post by harvesmom on Sat Apr 18, 2015 11:56 pm

Really sorry about your little dog Ben, I can't even think about how I would feel when anything happens to my dog Harvey. The awful thing about having animals is that they are never going to have the life span that we have, we are all going to face this, the only thing you can do is to give them the best possible life whilst they are with us.

My Uncle had Chemo on his little terrier last year, in the form of pills. To be fair it gave him an extra 6 months and didn't have any adverse effects on his dog. Sadly his health declined just before Christmas and he had to make the best decision for him when the pills were no longer having an effect. But it stalled it for 6 months, maybe as people have suggested its worth a try.

Also, and I know this sounds random but I looked it up at the time, he was feeding him turmeric in his food... some research has shown that this slows down the growth of cancer cells, but it depends on whether you believe in alternative medicine or not. Something else to consider anyway.
harvesmom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie on Sun Apr 19, 2015 12:27 am

Turmeric is an anti-inflammatory
Asian people use it a lot for aches and pains and colds.
I'd give alternative mess a go rather than chemo personally.

Lots of love to you Ben .

~ Charles F. Kettering
eddie
king of beards. Keeper of the Whip. head cook and bottle washer. Senior mushroom muncher

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Sun Apr 19, 2015 12:33 am

eddie wrote:Turmeric is an anti-inflammatory

Lots of love to you  Ben .
i would also say cannabis could have a positive effect as well
but i am not a vet and not sure how a dog would react to it
but something to maybe look in to

Back to top Go down

Post by harvesmom on Sun Apr 19, 2015 12:37 am

If you google cancer and turmeric in dogs, loads of stuff comes up. I researched it last year, I believe some people are of the opinion it can help with breast cancer in humans too.... I think alternative medicine has a place, personally I would use it in addition to Chemo, but again it depends upon personal beliefs.
harvesmom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by veya_victaous on Sun Apr 19, 2015 2:45 am

My Deepest Sympathies Ben Sad Sad Sad Sad Sad

And she is so cute
I have a Jack Russel and Maltese Cross and both are about 10 too

We don't know the Questions... does that means we cannot seek the Answers?
veya_victaous
The Mod Loki, Minister of Chaos & Candy, Emperor of the Southern Realms, Captain Kangaroo

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by captain on Sun Apr 19, 2015 3:06 am

harvesmom wrote:

If you google cancer and turmeric in dogs, loads of stuff comes up. I researched it last year, I believe some people are of the opinion it can help with breast cancer in humans too.... I think alternative medicine has a place, personally I would use it in addition to Chemo, but again it depends upon personal beliefs.
Thanks harvesmom

So sorry I should have mentioned that. I throw turmeric into the ginger tea which my lad just loves, he likes black pepper to. He had a lot of shoulder and head pain these all combined really helps. Also it helped to clear his ear infection. Then I have this tonic that I rub on his eyes each night, worth its weight in gold to us, his left eye had a blue film over it and this has now cleared. Camomile flowered tea I found is a another way to ease pain and aid in a better sleep. My old boy loved all of the above, I am sure we had him at least 3 plus years longer because of turmeric, and also Ben please try a tiny bit of garlic, if he has lose stools or tummy pain. To you and your little one.
captain

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by captain on Sun Apr 19, 2015 10:46 pm

One more little thing.. My old boy did not get on with my tonic for his eyes, but a small amount of himalayan salt, in boiled filtered water soothed his sore eyes every time.
captain

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Original Quill on Mon Apr 20, 2015 5:09 am

captainJane wrote:One more little thing.. My old boy did not get on with my tonic for his eyes, but a small amount of himalayan salt, in boiled filtered water soothed his sore eyes every time.

Wow...where did you learn about that?

Terrorism: "..many fine people, on many sides" ― Donald Trump, Charlottesville, 8.15.17

Original Quill

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by captain on Mon Apr 20, 2015 5:24 am

@Quill Wink

Maybe my old ancestors have contacted me somehow. Seriously, the most natural fruits of our planet really does work the best. Going to try and obtain a couple of blocks of this salt, to attach onto my garden fence. I read a lot of creatures from the wild likes to lick salt, it may be of some help to them.
captain

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by harvesmom on Mon Apr 20, 2015 11:30 pm

captainJane wrote:
harvesmom wrote:

Thanks harvesmom

So sorry I should have mentioned that. I throw turmeric into the ginger tea which my lad just loves, he likes black pepper to. He had a lot of shoulder and head pain these all combined really helps. Also it helped to clear his ear infection. Then I have this tonic that I rub on his eyes each night, worth its weight in gold to us, his left eye had a blue film over it and this has now cleared. Camomile flowered tea I found is a another way to ease pain and aid in a better sleep. My old boy loved all of the above, I am sure we had him at least 3 plus years longer because of turmeric, and also Ben please try a tiny bit of garlic, if he has lose stools or tummy pain. To you and your little one.

Yes Garlic is excellent too, we mix some into our horses feed, the old pony especially because its anti inflammatory and it keeps her stiff old legs moving. Also keeps the flies away in the summer! With a Citronella spray that we make up ourselves.

I've only ever used boiled water (obviously cooled) with salt for eye infections for horses, dog and rabbit, or a tea bag. And for ear infections I swear by Thornit canker powder. Harvey is a West Highland Terrier and they get ear infections, can't tell you how much money I spent a the vets before I discovered that.

Sorry Ben, I was talking about Turmeric but I strayed a little there.

harvesmom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Reilly on Tue Apr 21, 2015 7:19 pm

Ben_Reilly wrote:

Sending blood samples for confirmation showed that she does not have cancer at all! Instead, the vet thinks she either has an infection (we're getting medication for that in a few minutes) or perhaps was stung or bitten by something poisonous.

Cory Doctorow, Walkaway
Ben Reilly

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Tue Apr 21, 2015 7:20 pm

Glad and happy to hear for you.

That must be a great relief.

Back to top Go down

Post by feelthelove on Tue Apr 21, 2015 7:27 pm

Ben_Reilly wrote:
Ben_Reilly wrote:

Oh my god!!!!!!! That is the best news Ben, I'm so happy for you and your little one I love you xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Queen of Smilies

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Reilly on Tue Apr 21, 2015 7:28 pm

feelthelove wrote:
Ben_Reilly wrote:
Ben_Reilly wrote:

Oh my god!!!!!!! That is the best news Ben, I'm so happy for you and your little one I love you xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Cory Doctorow, Walkaway
Ben Reilly

Back to top Go down

Post by feelthelove on Tue Apr 21, 2015 7:34 pm

Ben_Reilly wrote:
feelthelove wrote:

I can't believe it, you must be ecstatic.  Most of us seem to have dogs so know exactly how heartbreaking that news must have been.  I'm so pleased they were wrong  xxx

Queen of Smilies

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Angry Andy on Tue Apr 21, 2015 7:53 pm

Fantastic news, Ben, a dog's love is unconditional, all they ask for is food, water, love, affection and walkies. When they hurt, they want a cuddle.
They expect nothing more - yet we care for them as much as we do for our kids.

Go and celebrate with a big steak saving some juicy leftovers for your little chum. cheers sunny flower relieved

Angry Andy
Poet Laureate & Traveling Bard of NewsFix

Location : Getting banned is a badge of honour in the fight against far rw extremists.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by feelthelove on Tue Apr 21, 2015 8:01 pm

Handy Andy wrote:Fantastic news, Ben, a dog's love is unconditional, all they ask for is food, water, love, affection and walkies. When they hurt, they want a cuddle.
They expect nothing more - yet we care for them as much as we do for our kids.

Go and  celebrate with a big steak saving some juicy leftovers for your little chum. cheers  sunny  flower    relieved

Mine is my kid Andy you can't explain the love you have for a pet unless you've experienced it I love you I love you I love you xxx

We love them, we lose them.  It never gets any easier and yet we do it again and again, life feels incomplete without them Sad

Queen of Smilies

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Tue Apr 21, 2015 9:17 pm

GREAT NEWS BEN....soooo pleased for you (and your hairy pal)

lets hope the meds get him back to normal quickly ....

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie on Tue Apr 21, 2015 10:33 pm

Fantastic news! Really pleased xxx
Give him a big fat juicy bone cheers

~ Charles F. Kettering
eddie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Reilly on Tue Apr 21, 2015 11:09 pm

Thanks guys, between my dog not having cancer and me not getting sacked today, today's been a remarkably good one considering it's really the absence of traumatic events Smile

Cory Doctorow, Walkaway
Ben Reilly

Back to top Go down

Post by captain on Wed Apr 22, 2015 12:17 am

So pleased for you Ben. Maybe with all the ace advice your friends here has left you, he will live until he is a very old man. Smile
captain

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Cass on Wed Apr 22, 2015 1:46 am

Fanbloodytastic news....i shed a little tear seriously...so damn happy for you both xxxx

ps. what's this nonsense about you almost being sacked????

Nerd Queen
Nerd Queen

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Reilly on Wed Apr 22, 2015 4:43 am

Cass wrote:Fanbloodytastic news....i shed a little tear seriously...so damn happy for you both xxxx

Thanks! Tonight she's very tired but acting a lot more like herself. I guess I didn't really nearly get sacked, but the big wig called everyone in the newsroom to a meeting today (announced yesterday) and wouldn't say what it was about -- the jerk -- turns out they're doing another round of voluntary buy-outs, but like hell am I going to volunteer to lose my job, and I have been led to believe they might not accept it anyway if I signed up, because I do an awful lot for the company (not to brag or anything!).

It's actually a little tempting to apply, though -- I'd get over four months of severance pay. But it doesn't really strike me as a great time to be a 40-year-old sports journalist looking for work Smile

Cory Doctorow, Walkaway
Ben Reilly

Back to top Go down

Post by Original Quill on Wed Apr 22, 2015 7:07 am

Ben_Reilly wrote:

Well, that's wonderful news...so far as it goes. But keep after whatever it is.

Original Quill

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by feelthelove on Wed Apr 22, 2015 4:28 pm

Ben_Reilly wrote:
Cass wrote:Fanbloodytastic news....i shed a little tear seriously...so damn happy for you both xxxx

Thanks! Tonight she's very tired but acting a lot more like herself. I guess I didn't really nearly get sacked, but the big wig called everyone in the newsroom to a meeting today (announced yesterday) and wouldn't say what it was about -- the jerk -- turns out they're doing another round of voluntary buy-outs, but like hell am I going to volunteer to lose my job, and I have been led to believe they might not accept it anyway if I signed up, because I do an awful lot for the company (not to brag or anything!).

It's actually a little tempting to apply, though -- I'd get over four months of severance pay. But it doesn't really strike me as a great time to be a 40-year-old sports journalist looking for work Smile

It sounds like a lot of money and it's fine if you can walk straight into another job. I would get 4 weeks pay for each of the 25 years I've worked for the Company, plus 1 months notice of notice and 3 months paid notice. As you say it's tempting but only if you have a back up plan or a job offer on the horizon alien x

Queen of Smilies

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Original Quill on Wed Apr 22, 2015 7:31 pm

Ben_Reilly wrote:

It's a really difficult time for the print news industry. Four months doesn't impress me that much. I would hang on to the support while thinking real hard about options. Forty or not, you are going to land on your feet.

There was an article I once read in some magazine about being fired being a blessing in disguise. It got the person moving, and he ended up being his boss's boss 6-months later. Keep on truckin' ben.

Original Quill

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Irn Bru on Wed Apr 22, 2015 9:10 pm

Great news Ben and a lot of your mind. Really pleased to hear it.

Friedrich Hayek

In other words a bunch of cap-doffers and forelock tuggers.
Irn Bru
The Tartan terror. Keeper of the royal sporran. Chief Haggis Hunter

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Reilly on Wed Apr 22, 2015 9:17 pm

Original Quill wrote:
Ben_Reilly wrote:

It's a really difficult time for the print news industry.  Four months doesn't impress me that much.  I would hang on to the support while thinking real hard about options.  Forty or not, you are going to land on your feet.

There was an article I once read in some magazine about being fired being a blessing in disguise.  It got the person moving, and he ended up being his boss's boss 6-months later.  Keep on truckin' ben.

I have been thinking about that; the only problem is that in my position right now, I get so much autonomy -- I'm really lucky. I get to decide where I'm going to be and what I'm going to be working on every day besides the day we go to press with our weekly editions. I can take the mornings off and sleep late if I'm going to have to be at a game until 10 p.m. I get to work with creative people and tell interesting stories, and I dress however I want Smile I go days without communicating with my supervisor. The pay isn't bad for my location and industry, either.

I think my job is relatively secure thanks to how much I do for the weekly editions. They're performing much better than most print newspapers thanks to their lower overhead and community focus, which tends to attract a lot of advertisers who don't need the whole DFW metroplex to know about their businesses. And people tend to read our papers more because the content is just what's going on in their backyards rather than the whole state or country.

Cory Doctorow, Walkaway
Ben Reilly

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum