Insomnia cure?

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Insomnia cure?

Post by eddie on Wed Apr 08, 2015 8:52 pm

I've just read an article about curing insomnia  it as I cant C&P due to this bloody stupid bloody ipad, I can't give you the article....( this takes cutting down on words to a whole new level, eh Didge and sassy?)
Anyhoo, it's called the 4-7-8 method.

It's basically slowing down your heartrate and everything else in your body, in order to "put your body to sleep".

What you do:

Breathe in for FOUR  seconds through your nose
Hold for SEVEN seconds
Breathe out over EIGHT seconds

If someone cares to google it and plonk the article and link here then thanks.

Oh and that's from memory so don't blame me if you die.

Oh and it's SECONDS not MINUTES. Shocked don't do mimutes or you probably will die.

king of beards. Keeper of the Whip. head cook and bottle washer. Senior mushroom muncher

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Insomnia cure?

Post by Guest on Wed Apr 08, 2015 10:22 pm

I once suggested to my ex's mother that in order to cure her hiccups she should hold her breath for 10 minutes
Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Reilly on Thu Apr 09, 2015 12:38 am

This is actually a pretty well-researched relaxation technique that I use sometimes -- I got into a really bad auto accident years ago and people driving recklessly can still really make my heart race. The breathing technique involves the same nerve that can make some people susceptible to fainting.

- Turnpike Troubadors
Ben Reilly
Cowboy King. Dread Pirate of the Guadalupe. Enemy of the American People.

View user profile http://www.newsfixboard.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Cass on Thu Apr 09, 2015 12:46 am

Nerd Queen
Nerd Queen

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by sassy on Thu Apr 09, 2015 12:46 am

Well on that note, I'm going to try it! Been a long day, hope I don't need it. Night.

The Left want to make life easier for as many people as possible, The Right want to make life easier for themselves and fuck everyone else.
sassy
Convicted Hex Offender

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Cass on Thu Apr 09, 2015 12:53 am

good night and good luck!

Nerd Queen
Nerd Queen

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by nicko on Thu Apr 09, 2015 5:57 am

Have no problem in going to sleep providing I go to bed at 10.30 pm, any later and i'll lie awake for hours. What I want to know is why I come instantly awake at around 2.30 to 3.30 am and lie there trying to go back to sleep for the rest of the night, I rarely can so I'm up very early. Then at around 10 am I'm trying to keep awake! I often go back to bed around 1 pm,i'll doze for an hour or two,[ with a cat curled up against me] then get up feeling knackered and wait for 10.30 pm to go to bed again! No life at all.
nicko

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie on Thu Apr 09, 2015 9:50 am

Nicko try the 4-7-8 technique when you wake up at 3am
See if it works and stick with it

king of beards. Keeper of the Whip. head cook and bottle washer. Senior mushroom muncher

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by sassy on Thu Apr 09, 2015 10:00 am

nicko wrote:Have no problem in going to sleep providing I go to bed at 10.30 pm,  any later and i'll lie awake for hours. What I want to know is why I come instantly awake at around 2.30 to 3.30 am and lie there trying to go back to sleep for the rest of the night, I rarely can so I'm up very early. Then at around 10 am I'm trying to keep awake! I often go back to bed around 1 pm,i'll doze for an hour or two,[ with a cat curled up against me] then get up feeling knackered and wait for 10.30 pm to go to bed again! No life at all.

Nicko, can I suggest that, no matter how much you feel like it, you try not going back to bed at 1 and then going to bed about 11. Your body has got itself into a rthymn and you have to break it, I now cos I've been there. I used to sleep for a couple of hours and then wake up for ages, then feel knackered in the afternoon. I've found that for me, going to bed about 1 or 2 (not suggesting you do the same lol) and then I sleep for 7 hours, get up as soon as I wake up and keep going all day. It was hard to do at first, but now when I wake up I've slept right through for the 7 hours, and never thought I would do that again.

The Left want to make life easier for as many people as possible, The Right want to make life easier for themselves and fuck everyone else.
sassy
Convicted Hex Offender

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by nicko on Thu Apr 09, 2015 10:41 am

This morning I got up at 3.40am, went down stairs made a cup of tea. AT 9am could not keep awake sitting in chair, Wife said go back to bed you might sleep. went back to bed just could not go to sleep, so got up again. Now sitting in chair typing this!
nicko

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Angry Andy on Thu Apr 09, 2015 11:52 am

I simply have an earth shattering shag.
2 minutes after I have erupted I am falling asleep.
Works for me.

Angry Andy
Poet Laureate & Traveling Bard of NewsFix

Location : Getting banned is a badge of honour in the fight against far rw extremists.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by nicko on Thu Apr 09, 2015 12:12 pm

Well that would only take about 2 minutes for you, nothing to get excited about!
nicko

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie on Thu Apr 09, 2015 3:38 pm

nicko wrote:Well that would only take about 2 minutes for you, nothing to get excited about!

lol!

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Thu Apr 09, 2015 5:15 pm

I also have a tried & tested method for ensuring sleep & I call it the 120-30 method.

Load up your rucksack with 120 pounds in weight & go for a 30 mile walk.

After that,you will sleep.

Back to top Go down

Post by Lone Wolf on Thu Apr 09, 2015 8:24 pm

SOME more Classic traditional "Tried and tested" Insomnia Cures :

* NONE of which I use, by the way... *

Lone Wolf

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by nicko on Thu Apr 09, 2015 8:30 pm

I ask a serious question and apart from a few all I get is jokey replies.
nicko

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by feelthelove on Thu Apr 09, 2015 8:49 pm

I'm having the strangest dreams at the moment; dreams inside dreams Sad

So intense and emotional, I'll awake from a dream only to find I'm still asleep and trying to make sense of the last connected dream while still dreaming.  Then I wake to find I'm trying to understand my dream inside a dream.  Make sense to anyone?

I had a full blown nightmare while I was away too, screaming the whole works

Queen of Smilies

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Reilly on Thu Apr 09, 2015 8:53 pm

nicko wrote:I  ask a serious question and apart from a few all I get is  jokey replies.

Here's a pretty good run-down of the basics. They should help most people who don't have an actual sleep disorder:

* Get some exercise in the late afternoon -- not so late you'll have adrenaline, but not so early that the endorphin high is gone.

* Don't overdo it at dinner; avoid taking in a lot of protein, which can rev you up.

* Obviously, avoid caffeine and nicotine. Also, don't drink too much alcohol, but one or two drinks won't hurt.

* Make your bed as comfortable as possible and your bedroom as dark as possible, and unless it distracts you, turn on something that generates white noise, like a fan.

* Don't worry about falling asleep. Read a book for a while and even if you end up staying awake longer than you wanted, you will eventually nod off. I didn't believe in this one until I woke up one morning with my reading light still on and my book still half in my hand -- I must have practically passed out Smile

If you can't fall asleep even doing these things, you should go to the doctor. There are also over-the-counter (at least in the U.S.) drugs and supplements such as diphenhydramine, doxylamine and melatonin that help me quite a bit.

- Turnpike Troubadors
Ben Reilly

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Reilly on Thu Apr 09, 2015 8:55 pm

feelthelove wrote:I'm having the strangest dreams at the moment; dreams inside dreams Sad

So intense and emotional, I'll awake from a dream only to find I'm still asleep and trying to make sense of the last connected dream while still dreaming.  Then I wake to find I'm trying to understand my dream inside a dream.  Make sense to anyone?

Is there any reason someone might be trying to make you think you came up with the idea of dissolving your father's company? Smile

- Turnpike Troubadors
Ben Reilly

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie on Thu Apr 09, 2015 9:04 pm

Ben_Reilly wrote:
nicko wrote:I  ask a serious question and apart from a few all I get is  jokey replies.

Here's a pretty good run-down of the basics. They should help most people who don't have an actual sleep disorder:

* Get some exercise in the late afternoon -- not so late you'll have adrenaline, but not so early that the endorphin high is gone.

* Don't overdo it at dinner; avoid taking in a lot of protein, which can rev you up.

* Obviously, avoid caffeine and nicotine. Also, don't drink too much alcohol, but one or two drinks won't hurt.

* Make your bed as comfortable as possible and your bedroom as dark as possible, and unless it distracts you, turn on something that generates white noise, like a fan.

* Don't worry about falling asleep. Read a book for a while and even if you end up staying awake longer than you wanted, you will eventually nod off. I didn't believe in this one until I woke up one morning with my reading light still on and my book still half in my hand -- I must have practically passed out Smile

If you can't fall asleep even doing these things, you should go to the doctor. There are also over-the-counter (at least in the U.S.) drugs and supplements such as diphenhydramine, doxylamine and melatonin that help me quite a bit.

And another trick is to keep,your eyes open; they get too heavy and tired to stay opne and will naturally shut
Let yourself get cold then cover yourself up - the act of "warming up" makes you feel sleepy

@FTL - are you worried about soemthing? Sad

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Thu Apr 09, 2015 11:01 pm

Failing the above,just read a couple of Rising suns posts & you'll be out for a week.

Back to top Go down

Post by feelthelove on Sun Apr 12, 2015 9:51 pm

eddie wrote:
Ben_Reilly wrote:

And another trick is to keep,your eyes open; they get too heavy and tired to stay opne and will naturally shut
Let yourself get cold then cover yourself up - the act of "warming up" makes you feel sleepy

@FTL - are you worried about soemthing? Sad

Sorry Eddie, missed this

No, I'm not worried about anything specific.  I've always dreamt very vividly but these false awakenings are a new thing

Queen of Smilies

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by nicko on Mon Apr 13, 2015 7:06 am

Doctor gave me some low dose Valium, I have been sleeping 6 hours straight through, but on waking don't know weather I'm coming or going, ache all over and still feel knackered.
nicko

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Lone Wolf on Mon Apr 13, 2015 12:00 pm

feelthelove wrote:
I'm having the strangest dreams at the moment; dreams inside dreams Sad

Idea

EATING Cheese and other Vitamin B-rich foods too close to bedtime is rumoured to produce weird and whacky dreams, such as those...

EVEN BETTER than simply avoiding such foods, might be not eating anything for an hour (or more, for some people..) before going to sleep..

Lone Wolf

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie on Mon Apr 13, 2015 1:39 pm

nicko wrote:Doctor gave me some low dose Valium, I have been sleeping 6 hours straight through, but on waking don't know weather I'm coming or going, ache all over and still feel knackered.

Nicky that is a "false" sleep
You're not going to wake up feeling refreshed.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Lone Wolf on Mon Apr 13, 2015 9:24 pm

eddie wrote:
nicko wrote:Doctor gave me some low dose Valium, I have been sleeping 6 hours straight through, but on waking don't know weather I'm coming or going, ache all over and still feel knackered.

Nicky that is a "false" sleep
You're not going to wake up feeling refreshed.
Idea

IN A normal and "natural" sleep, you go through three stages of sleep over an average of a 90 minute 'cycle' ("average" because it varies from person to person a few minutes either way..). Going through 4 or 5 of these 'cycles' in a normal night gives that total sleep period of usually 7.5, but sometimes 6 or 9, hours approximately, to leave 'one feeling refreshed and awake the next day..

USING drugs to aid sleeping usually works by 'knocking out' somebody, and keeping them in that one state for the duration ~ and hence that's why they can feel disoriented, knackered and still exhausted the next day ~ because they have missed out on the 'rejuvenating' benefits of that "natural" cycle..

WHICH is also a good reason to try and avoid using sleeping tablets for any more than a few, or even only a couple, of days at any one time.

AND why 'natural' and drug-free sleep methods, meditation, relaxation "exercises", even plain old 'hard work' are more useful and desirable over the long term..    Sleep

Lone Wolf

View user profile

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top