Saturn as it's never been seen before (and as it really looks)

Go down

Saturn as it's never been seen before (and as it really looks) Empty Saturn as it's never been seen before (and as it really looks)

Post by Ben Reilly on Thu Oct 24, 2013 7:07 pm

These are constructed from Cassini photographs of Saturn taken about two weeks ago. They're in natural color; the only thing "artificial" that has been done with this top one is a seamless mosaic by Gordan Ugarkovic. Two notable things -- the hexagon-shaped blue storm in Saturn's north pole, and check out how bright it is on the night side of the planet thanks to copious "ringshine":

Saturn as it's never been seen before (and as it really looks) 20131016_saturn_20131010_f840

This one, put together by Val Klavans, gives a bit more detail of the hexagon storm:

Saturn as it's never been seen before (and as it really looks) A61939cc5b120d31be7da9fce67eff24

These are already being heralded as among the most amazing space photos ever produced.

- Willie Nelson
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly
Cowboy King. Dread Pirate of the Guadalupe. God of Thunder.

http://www.newsfixboard.com

Back to top Go down

Saturn as it's never been seen before (and as it really looks) Empty Re: Saturn as it's never been seen before (and as it really looks)

Post by Lurker on Thu Oct 24, 2013 10:09 pm

Fantastic!

Lurker

Back to top Go down

Saturn as it's never been seen before (and as it really looks) Empty Re: Saturn as it's never been seen before (and as it really looks)

Post by Ben Reilly on Thu Oct 24, 2013 10:48 pm

I know, right? It's almost impossible for me to look at those photos and conceive that I'm really looking at an object that's more than 95 times larger than Earth, without the rings!

- Willie Nelson
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly
Cowboy King. Dread Pirate of the Guadalupe. God of Thunder.

http://www.newsfixboard.com

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum