Lynx to be reintroduced into wild in Britain after a 1,300-year absence

Go down

Lynx to be reintroduced into wild in Britain after a 1,300-year absence  Empty Lynx to be reintroduced into wild in Britain after a 1,300-year absence

Post by Guest on Mon Mar 09, 2015 10:06 am



Lynx are to be reintroduced into the wild in Britain after a 1,300-year absence, under an ambitious “rewilding” plan drawn up by a conservation charity.

The Lynx UK Trust would release up to 18 of the cats onto private estates in Aberdeenshire, Cumbria and Norfolk if the idea is given the go-ahead by Natural England and Scottish Natural Heritage.

The predators eat deer, rabbits and hares among other animals but are not considered a risk to people as they tend to stay away from humans.

Dr Paul O’Donoghue, who advises the trust, told The Sunday Times: “The lynx is one of the most enigmatic, beautiful cats on the planet. The British countryside is dying, and lynx will bring it back to life.”

Ecologists have increasingly begun to realise the importance of top predators for the whole of the ecosystem. For example, when wolves were released in Yellowstone National Park in the US, the make-up of the flowers in the area changed.

And, in the UK, there have been problems with the burgeoning numbers of deer, partly because of the lack of predators.

Tony Marmont, who wants to see lynx in Grumack Forest, which he owns, near Huntly, Aberdeenshire, told the Times: “Lynx will have an extremely beneficial effect on our forest ecosystems, both directly and as ambassadors for wider conservation projects.

“I also believe we should try to reintroduce an animal that humans made extinct here.”

http://www.independent.co.uk/environment/nature/lynx-to-be-reintroduced-into-the-wild-in-britain-after-a-1300year-absence-10094682.html

Oh Er Missus, my dad often gets muntjac deer in his garden from the Sandringham Estate forest, could I end up looking out the window and seeing one of these?

Lynx to be reintroduced into wild in Britain after a 1,300-year absence  Kitty_2573251b


Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Lynx to be reintroduced into wild in Britain after a 1,300-year absence  Empty Re: Lynx to be reintroduced into wild in Britain after a 1,300-year absence

Post by Guest on Mon Mar 09, 2015 2:20 pm

risingsun wrote:

Lynx are to be reintroduced into the wild in Britain after a 1,300-year absence, under an ambitious “rewilding” plan drawn up by a conservation charity.

The Lynx UK Trust would release up to 18 of the cats onto private estates in Aberdeenshire, Cumbria and Norfolk if the idea is given the go-ahead by Natural England and Scottish Natural Heritage.

The predators eat deer, rabbits and hares among other animals but are not considered a risk to people as they tend to stay away from humans.

Dr Paul O’Donoghue, who advises the trust, told The Sunday Times: “The lynx is one of the most enigmatic, beautiful cats on the planet. The British countryside is dying, and lynx will bring it back to life.”

Ecologists have increasingly begun to realise the importance of top predators for the whole of the ecosystem. For example, when wolves were released in Yellowstone National Park in the US, the make-up of the flowers in the area changed.

And, in the UK, there have been problems with the burgeoning numbers of deer, partly because of the lack of predators.

Tony Marmont, who wants to see lynx in Grumack Forest, which he owns, near Huntly, Aberdeenshire, told the Times: “Lynx will have an extremely beneficial effect on our forest ecosystems, both directly and as ambassadors for wider conservation projects.

“I also believe we should try to reintroduce an animal that humans made extinct here.”

http://www.independent.co.uk/environment/nature/lynx-to-be-reintroduced-into-the-wild-in-britain-after-a-1300year-absence-10094682.html

Oh Er Missus, my dad often gets muntjac deer in his garden from the Sandringham Estate forest, could I end up looking out the window and seeing one of these?

Lynx to be reintroduced into wild in Britain after a 1,300-year absence  Kitty_2573251b

what the pillocks caefully forgot to mention is that they also take lambs...so i guess, along with Mr foxy,  I will be looking at some of these down my rifle scope in the future.... Rolling Eyes


Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Lynx to be reintroduced into wild in Britain after a 1,300-year absence  Empty Re: Lynx to be reintroduced into wild in Britain after a 1,300-year absence

Post by Cass on Mon Mar 09, 2015 6:22 pm

we're having issues over here about the reintroduction and preservation of the Mexican Grey Wolf

http://www.fws.gov/southwest/es/mexicanwolf/


_________________
Do you think you'll be the guy - to make the Queen of the Angels sigh?
Cass
Cass
the Nerd Queen of Nerds, the Lover of Books who Cooks

Posts : 5954
Join date : 2014-01-19
Age : 51

Back to top Go down

Lynx to be reintroduced into wild in Britain after a 1,300-year absence  Empty Re: Lynx to be reintroduced into wild in Britain after a 1,300-year absence

Post by veya_victaous on Mon Mar 09, 2015 9:31 pm

British are such terrible farmers

oh no it takes a couple of lambs and we're such inefficient producers that will ruin us lets wipe out a species rather than become more efficient.

You can be replaced by a lama
Lynx to be reintroduced into wild in Britain after a 1,300-year absence  Watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=3fWhhAmKBt0

_________________
My job is to travel the world delivering Chaos and Candy.

We don't know the Questions... does that means we cannot seek the Answers?
veya_victaous
veya_victaous
The Mod Loki, Minister of Chaos & Candy, Emperor of the Southern Realms, Captain Kangaroo

Posts : 19095
Join date : 2013-01-23
Age : 36
Location : Australia

Back to top Go down

Lynx to be reintroduced into wild in Britain after a 1,300-year absence  Empty Re: Lynx to be reintroduced into wild in Britain after a 1,300-year absence

Post by veya_victaous on Mon Mar 09, 2015 9:34 pm


_________________
My job is to travel the world delivering Chaos and Candy.

We don't know the Questions... does that means we cannot seek the Answers?
veya_victaous
veya_victaous
The Mod Loki, Minister of Chaos & Candy, Emperor of the Southern Realms, Captain Kangaroo

Posts : 19095
Join date : 2013-01-23
Age : 36
Location : Australia

Back to top Go down

Lynx to be reintroduced into wild in Britain after a 1,300-year absence  Empty Re: Lynx to be reintroduced into wild in Britain after a 1,300-year absence

Post by nicko on Mon Mar 09, 2015 9:38 pm

British are such terrible farmers he says, on what do you base that remark on?
nicko
nicko

Posts : 12555
Join date : 2013-12-07
Age : 78
Location : rainbow bridge

Back to top Go down

Lynx to be reintroduced into wild in Britain after a 1,300-year absence  Empty Re: Lynx to be reintroduced into wild in Britain after a 1,300-year absence

Post by veya_victaous on Mon Mar 09, 2015 9:48 pm

nicko wrote:British are such terrible farmers he says, on what do you base that remark on?

the fact that it cost you twice as much to get a cow to market in the UK than an Aussie can get a cow to market IN THE UK so literally we can grow and transport a cow across the globe for half the cost of you can raise it and send it down the street.
Smile pretty sure that is inefficacy on British farmers part
all of Europe is 'bad' at farming.... except berries and a couple of fruit types Smile considering the quality of your soil your yields are terrible

_________________
My job is to travel the world delivering Chaos and Candy.

We don't know the Questions... does that means we cannot seek the Answers?
veya_victaous
veya_victaous
The Mod Loki, Minister of Chaos & Candy, Emperor of the Southern Realms, Captain Kangaroo

Posts : 19095
Join date : 2013-01-23
Age : 36
Location : Australia

Back to top Go down

Lynx to be reintroduced into wild in Britain after a 1,300-year absence  Empty Re: Lynx to be reintroduced into wild in Britain after a 1,300-year absence

Post by veya_victaous on Mon Mar 09, 2015 9:49 pm

also see alpaca video
you guys are finally copying some of the stuff we have been doing for years like Alpaca/Lama Guards

_________________
My job is to travel the world delivering Chaos and Candy.

We don't know the Questions... does that means we cannot seek the Answers?
veya_victaous
veya_victaous
The Mod Loki, Minister of Chaos & Candy, Emperor of the Southern Realms, Captain Kangaroo

Posts : 19095
Join date : 2013-01-23
Age : 36
Location : Australia

Back to top Go down

Lynx to be reintroduced into wild in Britain after a 1,300-year absence  Empty Re: Lynx to be reintroduced into wild in Britain after a 1,300-year absence

Post by nicko on Tue Mar 10, 2015 6:36 pm

You may be right Veya, I seem to take it personaly when I hear criticism of anything against England, deserved or not.
nicko
nicko

Posts : 12555
Join date : 2013-12-07
Age : 78
Location : rainbow bridge

Back to top Go down

Lynx to be reintroduced into wild in Britain after a 1,300-year absence  Empty Re: Lynx to be reintroduced into wild in Britain after a 1,300-year absence

Post by veya_victaous on Tue Mar 10, 2015 9:15 pm

nicko wrote:You may be right Veya,   I seem to take it personaly  when I hear criticism of anything against England,    deserved or not.

well to make you feel better England is still Better than France and Italy when it comes to progress over tradition in agriculture. Wink
Tradition is nice and all and sure keep a couple of quaint old style farms where the lower yield is augmented by tourism.
But to feed modern cities and population we need to maximise efficiency for industrial scale farming.
Really if we want to not stuff up too much of the planet it is best if we make the most of the land we have already converted to farm lands so we can leave some wild lands for nature.

_________________
My job is to travel the world delivering Chaos and Candy.

We don't know the Questions... does that means we cannot seek the Answers?
veya_victaous
veya_victaous
The Mod Loki, Minister of Chaos & Candy, Emperor of the Southern Realms, Captain Kangaroo

Posts : 19095
Join date : 2013-01-23
Age : 36
Location : Australia

Back to top Go down

Back to top


 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum