what is it
where is it

does it have one center

does it have many centres

yada yada yada

Back to top Go down

Gravity Empty Re: Gravity

Post by Guest on Sat Jan 24, 2015 12:25 am

Gravitation is most accurately described by the general theory of relativity (proposed by Einstein) which describes gravitation as a consequence of the curvature of spacetime

IMHO this makes more sense
the curvature of spacetime is a consequence gravitation

Last edited by korban dallas on Sat Jan 24, 2015 3:12 am; edited 1 time in total

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Sat Jan 24, 2015 3:09 am

Also on further thought space isn`t curverd ........its stretched

like for example a sheet of cling film being pulled along its x,y,z axises

Last edited by korban dallas on Sat Jan 24, 2015 3:52 am; edited 1 time in total

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Sat Jan 24, 2015 3:15 am

pretty sure this is wrong and misleading

Gravity Index11

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Reilly on Sat Jan 24, 2015 8:53 pm

korban dallas wrote:pretty sure this is wrong and misleading

Gravity Index11

That's what I always thought, but then, the topic is very confusing for me -- especially as it would seem that the theory of gravitons and gravitational waves conflicts with the theory of space-time curvature as the cause of gravity. Then again, I might just be refusing to see them as both simultaneously true, as a few big brains discuss over here: http://physics.stackexchange.com/questions/427/nature-of-gravity-gravitons-curvature-of-space-time-or-both

- Willie Nelson
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly
Cowboy King. Dread Pirate of the Guadalupe. God of Thunder.

http://www.newsfixboard.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Reilly on Sat Jan 24, 2015 8:57 pm

Gravity Index11

I always thought it would be better to illustrate that with the Earth suspended in gelatin Smile

- Willie Nelson
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Sat Jan 24, 2015 10:15 pm

Ben_Reilly wrote:

Gravity Index11

I always thought it would be better to illustrate that with the Earth suspended in gelatin Smile
the picture is fundementaly wrong because (i believe ) it dipicts the mass of the earth(in this case) distorting the fabric of space in the wrong direction because it is a 2d representaion along 1 axis

the problem is that space is not 2d and the picture shows distortion due to the objects mass (like a ball on a sheet ) but the force on spase is omnidirectional, like gravity which is a force of attraction
so space would be pulled towards it from every direction so instead of a picture showing the mass at the bottom of the well what it shoud show is the mass at the top of a dome created as space is pulled towards the mass  
Gravity Index210

kind of like this mannifold but in all direction

for example if you took a block of gelatin with a inflated balloon at its center then sucked out the air of that balloon.(simulating a gravitational force )
The surounding gelatin (space) would be pulled/streched  towards the centre of the void from every direction

Back to top Go down

Post by Original Quill on Sun Jan 25, 2015 4:44 am

Gravity Index11

Well, one problem is that the representation is two-dimensional.  But the bending of space/time thesis is questioned these days, my brother tells me.  (He is a physicist at Los Alamos.)

Einstein's distortion of space/time only begs the question for me.  The question I've always had is, what is the interaction (or dimension) that causes it?  If mass bends space/time, why...or how?

"I don't stand by anything."  ― Donald Trump, interview with John Dickerson, 5.1.17...

Normal is broken.

“That's libertarians for you — anarchists who want police protection from their slaves.” ― Kim Stanley Robinson, Green Mars
Original Quill
Original Quill

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Reilly on Sun Jan 25, 2015 6:59 am

That's way above my pay grade, Quill. As it stands, I'm nearly ready to accept Intelligent Falling:

http://www.theonion.com/articles/evangelical-scientists-refute-gravity-with-new-int,1778/

- Willie Nelson
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly

Back to top Go down

Post by Andy on Sun Jan 25, 2015 8:37 am

Gravity is a myth.

The earth sucks.

That is my theory.

Andy
Poet Laureate & Traveling Bard of NewsFix

Location : Winning the fight to drain the swamp of far right extremists.

Back to top Go down

Post by Original Quill on Sun Jan 25, 2015 5:02 pm

Handy Andy wrote:Gravity is a myth.

The earth sucks.

That is my theory.

Gravity Images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRFZ2LnRzu3fNp_EklxXXJerM9henxMpWjcU2bqLfKvVApgVgjMadFPLw It's settled, then.

"I don't stand by anything."  ― Donald Trump, interview with John Dickerson, 5.1.17...

Normal is broken.

“That's libertarians for you — anarchists who want police protection from their slaves.” ― Kim Stanley Robinson, Green Mars
Original Quill
Original Quill

Back to top Go down

The author of this message was banned from the forum - See the message

Post by Ben Reilly on Sun Jan 25, 2015 8:41 pm

Gotta love how the ISS had all the heating, oxygen and gravity-independent toilets for Sandy to float around like that Smile

- Willie Nelson
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly

Back to top Go down

Post by Original Quill on Sun Jan 25, 2015 8:54 pm

Ben_Reilly wrote:Gotta love how the ISS had all the heating, oxygen and gravity-independent toilets for Sandy to float around like that Smile

Haha...she held her water, and she was scared shitless.

Normal is broken.

Original Quill
Original Quill

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum