Ventriloquist told to shut-up!

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Ventriloquist told to shut-up!

Post by Original Quill on Wed Nov 12, 2014 6:36 pm

South African puppeteer to challenge gag order against his puppet

Comedian Conrad Koch, who is the ventriloquist for the puppet named Chester Missing, says that he will fight the gag order filed against his puppet by a singer in court. The singer, Steve Hofmeyr, accuses Missing of Tweeting racist comments about him.

JOHANNESBURG — Chester Missing's broad brown face is familiar on South African television where he is known for provocative, funny comments on politics and racial issues. Missing asks South African politicians questions that few others would dare.

Now he has been gagged by a court order to stop challenging a white singer.

Chester Missing is a puppet.

Comedian Conrad Koch, who is the ventriloquist for Missing, says that he will fight the gag order against his puppet in court.

The white comedian strongly denies allegations that tweets criticizing the singer Steve Hofmeyr amount to hate speech.

The singer said the tweets, which came from the Twitter account of the puppet, accused him of racism. He said he obtained a court order barring the ventriloquist and his puppet from making any statements about him in public or on social media.

The ventriloquist said he would not comment directly on the order, "out of respect for court processes."

"I don't admit to the allegations and will be opposing them strongly, very strongly," he said. The case will be heard in a Johannesburg magistrate's court on Nov. 27, according to a statement from the singer.

The singer had tweeted to about 121,000 followers on Nov. 3 that the ruling African National Congress is victimizing white South Africans. In a related Facebook statement where he discussed the merits of segregation under apartheid, the singer wrote: "Apartheid was cruel, unfortunate and unsustainable, but WHAT inspired that maddening segregation?"

In response, the ventriloquist began a campaign calling on sponsors to remove their support from the singer and asking South Africans to boycott any commercial brand associated with him. A local car dealership said it removed the singer's sponsored car. One of South Africa's largest supermarket chains said in a statement that while it "rejects Steve Hofmeyr's comments on apartheid," it will not revoke sponsorship of a festival where Hofmeyr is to perform.

The ventriloquist and his popular puppet, known for controversial political commentary, still perform on South African television and on stage. Nevertheless, he said the court order has affected his act.

"I do feel like I'm cautious about what I say," he said. "I talk about race and culture all the time."

As a kid I practiced the art of ventriloquism. I never moved my lips, and to be told to shut up is an insult.

Terrorism: "..many fine people, on many sides" ― Donald Trump, Charlottesville, 8.15.17

"Work for America to fail whenever the other party is in power."
― Republican Senator Majority Leader Mitch McConnell
Original Quill

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Ventriloquist told to shut-up!

Post by eddie on Thu Nov 13, 2014 7:49 am

Well. I've heard it all now.
What next? Shove his comments up his arse?

~ Charles F. Kettering
eddie
king of beards. Keeper of the Whip. head cook and bottle washer. Senior mushroom muncher

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Reilly on Thu Nov 13, 2014 8:52 am

Ah, the good old "chilling effect." How dare a man make a puppet speak out about important issues? Free speech for this; nay, for all, puppets!

Those of you with Twitter accounts -- you know what to do.

“If there is consent on both or all three or all four, however many are involved in the sex act, it's perfectly fine. Whatever it is. But if the left ever senses and smells that there's no consent in part of the equation, then here come the rape police."

- Rush Limbaugh, America's most influential right-wing commentator.
Ben Reilly
Cowboy King. Dread Pirate of the Guadalupe. Enemy of the American People.

View user profile http://www.newsfixboard.com

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie on Thu Nov 13, 2014 10:10 am

Ben_Reilly wrote:
Those of you with Twitter accounts -- you know what to do.

Get s life? study

~ Charles F. Kettering
eddie
king of beards. Keeper of the Whip. head cook and bottle washer. Senior mushroom muncher

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Irn Bru on Fri Nov 14, 2014 12:22 am

It would be absolutely priceless if this court case resulted if the ventriloquist ended up giving evidence through the mouth of Chester. People shouldn't be so critical of what Chester say's - he doesn't have a wooden heart you know.

Gottle o' geer anyone?

Friedrich Hayek

In other words a bunch of cap-doffers and forelock tuggers.
Irn Bru
The Tartan terror. Keeper of the royal sporran. Chief Haggis Hunter

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie on Fri Nov 14, 2014 8:31 am

Irn Bru wrote:It would be absolutely priceless if this court case resulted if the ventriloquist ended up giving evidence through the mouth of Chester. People shouldn't be so critical of what Chester say's - he doesn't have a wooden heart you know.

Gottle o' geer anyone?

lol!

~ Charles F. Kettering
eddie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum