Teacher Katie Mulrennan rejected from South Korea job due to 'alcoholism nature of the Irish'

Go down

Teacher Katie Mulrennan rejected from South Korea job due to 'alcoholism nature of the Irish'  Empty Teacher Katie Mulrennan rejected from South Korea job due to 'alcoholism nature of the Irish'

Post by Guest on Fri Nov 07, 2014 12:23 am

An Irish school teacher was turned away from a position in South Korea due to the "alcoholism nature of [her] kind".

Katie Mulrennan, from County Kerry, had applied for a job in the capital Seoul after seeing the role advertised on Craigslist.
However, the 26-year-old received a rejection email telling her that she would not be offered the work because, as the stereotype goes, Irish people are drunks.
A screen grab of the email, which has since gone viral, reads: "I am sorry to inform you that my client does not hire Irish people due to the alcoholism nature of your kind".
Mulrennan has said she was shocked by the content of the message.

Teacher Katie Mulrennan rejected from South Korea job due to 'alcoholism nature of the Irish'  Email She told the BBC: "When I got the email, it was so abrupt and short. I actually laughed when I read it initially.
She added: "In the end I took a deep breath and sent back a reply that was a little bit sarcastic as I couldn't believe the email I had received. But I haven't heard anything back since."
She said she has reported the incident and has since found a new job in Seoul.
"I was annoyed about it. But I can also see it was a little bit hilarious as well."

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/asia/teacher-katie-mulrennan-rejected-from-south-korea-job-due-to-alcoholism-nature-of-the-irish-9844597.html

Shocked

Back to top Go down

Teacher Katie Mulrennan rejected from South Korea job due to 'alcoholism nature of the Irish'  Empty Re: Teacher Katie Mulrennan rejected from South Korea job due to 'alcoholism nature of the Irish'

Post by Ben Reilly on Fri Nov 07, 2014 12:33 am

Very ill-informed -- alcohol just gives Irish people superpowers. I thought that was common knowledge ...

-Ghandi
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly
Cowboy King. Dread Pirate of the Guadalupe. Enemy of the American people.

View user profile http://www.newsfixboard.com

Back to top Go down

Teacher Katie Mulrennan rejected from South Korea job due to 'alcoholism nature of the Irish'  Empty Re: Teacher Katie Mulrennan rejected from South Korea job due to 'alcoholism nature of the Irish'

Post by Guest on Fri Nov 07, 2014 12:58 am

Ben_Reilly wrote:Very ill-informed -- alcohol just gives Irish people superpowers. I thought that was common knowledge ...

lol!

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Reilly on Fri Nov 07, 2014 1:02 am

Righto, chap! Seriously, though, it's sad to see that kind of prejudice persisting. Particularly when, let's face it, alcoholism is tragic and nothing to take lightly.

Then again, I have read things about the attitudes of Koreans (both north and south). They can be quite racist, from what I've heard. Going back to the Korean War, apparently their women are considered "unclean" if they've been with a black man. Their racism against black people is a lot less influential than some white Americans' is, but it's maybe even more hateful ... Sad

-Ghandi
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggamuffin on Fri Nov 07, 2014 2:13 am

I'm sorry but I found that rather amusing. Laughing

I do hope the lady finds a nice job elsewhere though.

"I could be wrong now, but I don't think so!
Raggamuffin
Raggamuffin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Reilly on Fri Nov 07, 2014 2:24 am

Raggamuffin wrote:I'm sorry but I found that rather amusing. Laughing

Hey, she herself is reported as LOL'ing when she got the news ...

-Ghandi
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggamuffin on Fri Nov 07, 2014 2:25 am

Ben_Reilly wrote:
Raggamuffin wrote:I'm sorry but I found that rather amusing. Laughing

Hey, she herself is reported as LOL'ing when she got the news ...

Good for her. Laughing

"I could be wrong now, but I don't think so!
Raggamuffin
Raggamuffin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Original Quill on Fri Nov 07, 2014 9:20 am

Ben_Reilly wrote:Very ill-informed -- alcohol just gives Irish people superpowers. I thought that was common knowledge ...

Listen, I'm serious. Look at nationalities and art-type and you will see: French and Dutch -- painting. Italians -- food. Russians -- ballet. Irish -- fiction.

It's gotta be true. Most drunks I know are the best bullshitters in the world.

"I don't stand by anything."  ― Donald Trump, interview with John Dickerson, 5.1.17...

Normal is broken.

“That's libertarians for you — anarchists who want police protection from their slaves.” ― Kim Stanley Robinson, Green Mars
Original Quill
Original Quill

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Fri Nov 07, 2014 9:25 am

Original Quill wrote:

Listen, I'm serious.  Look at nationalities and art-type and you will see: French and Dutch -- painting.  Italians -- food.  Russians -- ballet.  Irish -- fiction.  

It's gotta be true.  Most drunks I know are the best bullshitters in the world.

http://www.bestmastersdegrees.com/drunken-geniuses/

Back to top Go down

Post by Original Quill on Fri Nov 07, 2014 10:01 am

Brasidas wrote:
Original Quill wrote:

Listen, I'm serious.  Look at nationalities and art-type and you will see: French and Dutch -- painting.  Italians -- food.  Russians -- ballet.  Irish -- fiction.  

It's gotta be true.  Most drunks I know are the best bullshitters in the world.

Lov it. lol!

"I don't stand by anything."  ― Donald Trump, interview with John Dickerson, 5.1.17...

Normal is broken.

“That's libertarians for you — anarchists who want police protection from their slaves.” ― Kim Stanley Robinson, Green Mars
Original Quill
Original Quill

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Fri Nov 07, 2014 10:09 am

Original Quill wrote:
Brasidas wrote:

Lov it. lol!

Though you might.

Laughing

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Fri Nov 07, 2014 1:11 pm

Yeah its funny this is innit?

and yet......

If any of our institutions did something like this you lefty lot would be screaming (and rightly) to have em shut down

of course it is PERFECTLY (in your lefty poisonous world) OK for a FOREIGN place to do this....

you wouldnt THINK of condemning them for it would you....

perhaps you are more racist than you like to admit

" we have to forgive them, theyre foreigners"

Back to top Go down

Post by Original Quill on Sat Nov 08, 2014 9:26 am

victorisnotamused wrote:Yeah its funny this is innit?

and yet......

If any of our institutions did something like this you lefty lot would be screaming (and rightly) to have em shut down

of course it is PERFECTLY (in your lefty poisonous world) OK for a FOREIGN place to do this....

I don't think it's even a lefty-righty thing.  You guys squeal like stuck pigs when you perceive discrimination against whites.

It's just these guys are being introduced into the modern world, and they fuck up big time.  Like this...they're dazed, they had no idea.  Then, a worldwide media, covers it and everybody knows about it instantly.

It's the same thing with rural, backward Islamists and their views on women.  Only **blink** suddenly a light turns onto them, and they are exposed to the world.  They look like fools at best, and criminals at the worst.  And they're like, wha th' fook hoppen?

Normal is broken.

Original Quill
Original Quill

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Reilly on Sat Nov 08, 2014 1:16 pm

and yet......

Wait a minute, maybe this is some false memory or something, but I could have SWORN I actually did condemn them ... no? Any help here?

-Ghandi
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Sat Nov 08, 2014 1:32 pm

Ben_Reilly wrote:

and yet......

Wait a minute, maybe this is some false memory or something, but I could have SWORN I actually did condemn them ... no? Any help here?

Agreed, there is nothing worse than poor stereotypes that people perceive based off some people they meet or what else they read.
It has all the hallmarks of a fallacy argument when stereotypes are applied, as thy fail to factor in many points and views people have

Back to top Go down

Post by Eilzel on Sat Nov 08, 2014 8:57 pm

and yet......

Well we can't exactly do much about racism/xenophobia/dumb stereotypes is South Korea now can we vic?

The reaction is a mix of condemnation and laughing at their backward views in any case. Which is pretty bad for South Korea from an image standpoint. But we can hardly 'shut them down' can we Wink

Racism and xenophobia are actually quite prominent in much of East Asia, although oddly it is beneficial for 'white English speaking people' (with the exception of Ireland apparently haha). These are however developing places, even with amazing technological advancement they are still behind on a lot of social issues.

"The beginning of wisdom is the definition of terms" Socrates
Eilzel
Eilzel
Speaker of the House

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum