New York Court to Weigh Legal Rights of Chimps

Go down

New York Court to Weigh Legal Rights of Chimps Empty New York Court to Weigh Legal Rights of Chimps

Post by Guest on Thu Oct 09, 2014 3:02 pm

ALBANY N.Y. (Reuters) - A New York appeals court will consider this week whether chimpanzees are entitled to "legal personhood" in what experts say is the first case of its kind.

For Steven Wise, the lawyer behind the case involving a chimp named Tommy, it is the culmination of three decades of seeking to extend rights historically reserved for humans to other intelligent animals.

On Wednesday, a mid-level state appeals court in Albany will hear the case of the 26-year-old Tommy, who is owned by a human and lives alone in what Wise describes as a "dark, dank shed" in upstate New York.

http://www.scientificamerican.com/article/new-york-court-to-weigh-legal-rights-of-chimps/

Back to top Go down

New York Court to Weigh Legal Rights of Chimps Empty Re: New York Court to Weigh Legal Rights of Chimps

Post by Raggamuffin on Thu Oct 09, 2014 3:53 pm

Why do they need to do that? It's obviously wrong to keep an animal in those conditions.

"I could be wrong now, but I don't think so!
Raggamuffin
Raggamuffin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

New York Court to Weigh Legal Rights of Chimps Empty Re: New York Court to Weigh Legal Rights of Chimps

Post by Original Quill on Thu Oct 09, 2014 8:02 pm

This is the story about Tommy, innit? Saw a show on him on TV. The way he walks is....well, different.

"I don't stand by anything."  ― Donald Trump, interview with John Dickerson, 5.1.17...

Normal is broken.

“That's libertarians for you — anarchists who want police protection from their slaves.” ― Kim Stanley Robinson, Green Mars
Original Quill
Original Quill

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum