What do you know -- you shouldn't plug a USB drive into your computer without knowing where it came from

View previous topic View next topic Go down

What do you know -- you shouldn't plug a USB drive into your computer without knowing where it came from

Post by Ben Reilly on Thu Oct 02, 2014 5:14 pm

Don't plug strange USB sticks into your computers. Don't do it. A pair of hackers just made public the code for super scary malware that takes advantage of a fundamental flaw in USB firmware. They didn't do this to be mean, but you can be sure some evil hackers will use it to be mean.

The malware in question is very similar to the so-called BadUSB attack we saw a couple of months ago. Security researchers Karsten Nohl and Jakob Lell basically reversed engineered USB firmware so that they could create virtually undetectable malware that can't be patched. In brief, BadUSB can "be installed on a USB device to completely take over a PC, invisibly alter files installed from the memory stick, or even redirect the user's internet traffic."

Given the tremendous danger of this kind of thing getting out into the wild—literally, any computer with a USB port would be an easy target—Nohl and Lell opted to keep the code a secret. But now, researchers Adam Caudill and Brandon Wilson have more or less copied the BadUSB attack and uploaded the code to GitHub for all to download. This sounds very scary, but it might actually be a good thing.

http://gizmodo.com/now-anyone-can-get-the-malware-that-exploits-usbs-funda-1641821985

Cory Doctorow, Walkaway
Ben Reilly
Cowboy King. Dread Pirate of the Guadalupe. Enemy of the American People.

View user profile http://www.newsfixboard.com

Back to top Go down

Re: What do you know -- you shouldn't plug a USB drive into your computer without knowing where it came from

Post by Cass on Thu Oct 02, 2014 8:30 pm

no sheeyet........

but I am still waiting for that nice prince in Africa to send me the money he is trying to get out......I noticed my credit card has been debited.....many times in fact.......he seemed so nice from his emails.....

Nerd Queen
Nerd Queen

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: What do you know -- you shouldn't plug a USB drive into your computer without knowing where it came from

Post by Ben Reilly on Thu Oct 02, 2014 8:31 pm

Cass wrote:no sheeyet........

but I am still waiting for that nice prince in Africa to send me the money he is trying to get out......I noticed my credit card has been debited.....many times in fact.......he seemed so nice from his emails.....

Yea, MC Frontalot!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NNkp95oINYQ

Cory Doctorow, Walkaway
Ben Reilly
Cowboy King. Dread Pirate of the Guadalupe. Enemy of the American People.

View user profile http://www.newsfixboard.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Cass on Thu Oct 02, 2014 8:34 pm

hahahahaha......class

Nerd Queen
Nerd Queen

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie on Fri Oct 03, 2014 1:30 am

So........

Can I plug a USB thingy in to downlaod my pictures off my pooter?? scratch

king of beards. Keeper of the Whip. head cook and bottle washer. Senior mushroom muncher

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Fuzzy Zack on Fri Oct 03, 2014 7:24 am

A USB stick is like a penis. You should know where it's been before sticking it in. You never know what virus it's carrying.
Fuzzy Zack
The Japanese Lesbian Mermaid

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Fuzzy Zack on Fri Oct 03, 2014 7:28 am

I haven't tried this but one prevention is to disable auto play:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/967715
Fuzzy Zack
The Japanese Lesbian Mermaid

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Lone Wolf on Fri Oct 03, 2014 9:45 am

Surprised

"Karsten Nohl" and "Jakob Lell" !?!

Sounds like a couple of Israeli chaps to me..

SO, Mossad is getting into the serious hacking business, are they ~ going up against the Indians, Chinese, Russians, Yanks and Saudi's ?

Lone Wolf

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie on Fri Oct 03, 2014 3:05 pm

Fuzzy Zack wrote:A USB stick is like a penis. You should know where it's been before sticking it in. You never know what virus it's carrying.

lol!

king of beards. Keeper of the Whip. head cook and bottle washer. Senior mushroom muncher

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top