What's happened to the smilies?

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

What's happened to the smilies?

Post by eddie on Tue Sep 30, 2014 8:28 pm

The bottom few aren't working properly and not even showing in threads?

King of Beards. Keeper of the Whip. Top Chef. BEES!!!!!! Mushroom muncher. Spider aficionado!

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: What's happened to the smilies?

Post by Original Quill on Tue Sep 30, 2014 8:32 pm

I know...I just discovered that myself. Instead, there are all y'all's names. Wassup wi' dat?

"I don't stand by anything."  ― Donald Trump, interview with John Dickerson, 5.1.17...

“That's libertarians for you — anarchists who want police protection from their slaves.” ― Kim Stanley Robinson, Green Mars
Original Quill

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Mothafuckin' Reilly on Tue Sep 30, 2014 8:34 pm

Not sure -- I think there's probably a Forummotion glitch going on, as I lost my avatar too and didn't get the "upload your avatar" option.

Or maybe they've drastically reduced the storage for our images?

I'll check into it ...

- nicko
Ben Mothafuckin' Reilly
Cowboy King. Enemy of the American People. Slimebag Worm, No Moral Bag of Shit

View user profile http://www.newsfixboard.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Original Quill on Tue Sep 30, 2014 8:35 pm

Everyone's avatar is gone.

"I don't stand by anything."  ― Donald Trump, interview with John Dickerson, 5.1.17...

“That's libertarians for you — anarchists who want police protection from their slaves.” ― Kim Stanley Robinson, Green Mars
Original Quill

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Mothafuckin' Reilly on Tue Sep 30, 2014 8:39 pm

There have been no administrative actions that have caused this, so it must be a site glitch. I'm going to open a thread about it on the Help forum.

It's also not letting me upload smilies to replace the broken ones. Sounds like a server went down or something similar.

- nicko
Ben Mothafuckin' Reilly

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Mothafuckin' Reilly on Tue Sep 30, 2014 8:42 pm

Actually, they have a big public announcement on the front page of the Help forum, posted today, which reads:

Dear Forumotion members

In order to perform our service and to have more stable forums, we have decided to change our datacenter. In parallel with the datacenter change, we will also replace some old servers for new, more powerful servers.

The technical studies are now over. So, this project is currently in the testing phase in order to finalize the last details before the forums migration on new servers and the new Datacenter.

During the migration, there are some risks of whitepages, slowdows, or forums not available. That is normal
Do not fear, everything is simply under control of our technical team . They are doing their best to make the migration fast and easy..

http://help.forumotion.com/

- nicko
Ben Mothafuckin' Reilly

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Tue Sep 30, 2014 8:44 pm

One of the problems with having a free host - at least on ADO I control when the upgrades are and can make sure people know before hand rather than after there are issues.

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Mothafuckin' Reilly on Tue Sep 30, 2014 8:47 pm

It's what I hear time and time again. I wonder if we could ever migrate off of FM? I'd hate to lose all the content, though ...

- nicko
Ben Mothafuckin' Reilly

Back to top Go down

Post by Original Quill on Tue Sep 30, 2014 8:48 pm

That explains the slow-downs, too.

Original Quill

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Mothafuckin' Reilly on Tue Sep 30, 2014 8:49 pm

Just noticed that LW and Veya's avatars are still up. I think they must be on a different server than the others, which makes sense with them in Australia.

- nicko
Ben Mothafuckin' Reilly

Back to top Go down

Post by Original Quill on Tue Sep 30, 2014 8:55 pm

Actually, over here in California they are down as well. Just checked.

Original Quill

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Tue Sep 30, 2014 8:59 pm

Ben_Reilly wrote:It's what I hear time and time again. I wonder if we could ever migrate off of FM? I'd hate to lose all the content, though ...

Trust me forumotion will not let you have the database (which is the content on a forum). Years ago there were some scripts that would try and crawl it for you to try and get the content but I imagine they were defended against long ago. Also if the domain is one you "won" off forumotion as opposed to paid cash for you will have a fight on your hands to keep it - as I know all too well having got ADO off them......eventually.

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Mothafuckin' Reilly on Tue Sep 30, 2014 10:32 pm

sphinx wrote:
Ben_Reilly wrote:It's what I hear time and time again. I wonder if we could ever migrate off of FM? I'd hate to lose all the content, though ...

Trust me forumotion will not let you have the database (which is the content on a forum).  Years ago there were some scripts that would try and crawl it for you to try and get the content but I imagine they were defended against long ago.  Also if the domain is one you "won" off forumotion as opposed to paid cash for you will have a fight on your hands to keep it - as I know all too well having got ADO off them......eventually.

I was actually thinking, if push came to shove what we could do is start NF again with a slightly different URL elsewhere, then get "pioneers" to start building up the content (like me, the other admins and anybody else who wanted), with a few weeks of overlap before this site was closed. That's about the best way I could think to go about migrating the site without anybody at FM being able to do anything about it ...

- nicko
Ben Mothafuckin' Reilly

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie on Tue Sep 30, 2014 11:01 pm

Forumotion suck!
It explains why the site is slow tonight though.

King of Beards. Keeper of the Whip. Top Chef. BEES!!!!!! Mushroom muncher. Spider aficionado!

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by veya_victaous on Wed Oct 01, 2014 12:10 am

looks normal to me????

Don't worry Quill I can still see your beautiful profile pic :ashmmmas:

We don't know the Questions... does that means we cannot seek the Answers?
veya_victaous
The Mod Loki, Minister of Chaos & Candy, Emperor of the Southern Realms, Captain Kangaroo

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Original Quill on Wed Oct 01, 2014 3:29 am

Really veya? Everyone's is gone over here. No avatars t'all.

Original Quill

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by veya_victaous on Wed Oct 01, 2014 4:29 am

Yeah, I Still can see them Neutral

Wolf Can you see them?

veya_victaous
The Mod Loki, Minister of Chaos & Candy, Emperor of the Southern Realms, Captain Kangaroo

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Lone Wolf on Wed Oct 01, 2014 5:43 am

Ben_Reilly wrote:
sphinx wrote:
Trust me forumotion will not let you have the database (which is the content on a forum).  Years ago there were some scripts that would try and crawl it for you to try and get the content but I imagine they were defended against long ago.  Also if the domain is one you "won" off forumotion as opposed to paid cash for you will have a fight on your hands to keep it - as I know all too well having got ADO off them......eventually.

I was actually thinking, if push came to shove what we could do is start NF again with a slightly different URL elsewhere, then get "pioneers" to start building up the content (like me, the other admins and anybody else who wanted), with a few weeks of overlap before this site was closed. That's about the best way I could think to go about migrating the site without anybody at FM being able to do anything about it ...

pirat

IF you one day decided to move this forum to a self-supported website, maybe even stored on your own server (a lot more affordable too these days then it was only a decade or so ago ~ and the way that HD capacities and modem speeds are increasing by the month..), if you could raise enough advertising revenue (or alternatively, had your own business(es) to promote - and linked your forum to that..) to support the costs of your own DSL connections, you could always start planning a few weeks ahead...

AND have a few regulars archive a few of their favourite threads and files, and upload them back onto the rebooted forum, to give it a bit of a kick along, and some familiarity from the beginnings..

FORUMATION may hold rights over the presentation and appearance, the "intellectual copyright" of the site itself, and the "content" ~ but they'd have bugger all chance of enforcing "ownership" of others' essays, comments and photo's. Especially if they try to fight someone with the originals still in our own possession, all the way from their company HQ over in France ? Would they consider that worth the costs ?

"THERE'S more than one way to skin a cat." Basketball

Lone Wolf

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Lone Wolf on Wed Oct 01, 2014 5:52 am

veya_victaous wrote:
Yeah, I Still can see them Neutral

Wolf Can you see them?

cyclops

I can see everyone's avatars here today..

The only glitches I've noticed in the last couple of days have been smilies occasionally disappearing, images taking a while to show up, and occasionally letters and even words disappearing during my postings..

ANY OTHER time I could also suspect Internet connections and traffic might be responsible - it's only when others have similar problems, like now, that my suspicions turn to Forumation.

UPDATE !!!

MY avvie just disappeared a minute or two ago ! affraid

AND I just checked the smilies ~ about 3/4 aren't available at the moment,,

Last edited by Lone Wolf on Wed Oct 01, 2014 5:56 am; edited 1 time in total

Lone Wolf

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Original Quill on Wed Oct 01, 2014 5:55 am

Still no avatars.

Original Quill

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Lone Wolf on Wed Oct 01, 2014 5:59 am

Suspect

UPDATE !!!

MY avvie just disappeared a few minutes ago !      affraid

AND I just checked the smilies ~ about 3/4 aren't available at the moment !!

"WE'RE  melting  !!!"

P.S. I can still see most other's avatars ~ only a few are missing.

SO far....

Lone Wolf

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by veya_victaous on Wed Oct 01, 2014 6:04 am

Ok refreshed and I got No Avatars either now Sad Sad Sad Sad
and most of the similes are broken.

veya_victaous

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Mothafuckin' Reilly on Wed Oct 01, 2014 8:16 am

Lone Wolf wrote:
Ben_Reilly wrote:
sphinx wrote:

pirat

IF you one day decided to move this forum to a self-supported website, maybe even stored on your own server (a lot more affordable too these days then it was only a decade or so ago ~ and the way that HD capacities and modem speeds are increasing by the month..), if you could raise enough advertising revenue (or alternatively, had your own business(es) to promote - and linked your forum to that..) to support the costs of your own DSL connections, you could always start planning a few weeks ahead...

AND have a few regulars archive a few of their favourite threads and files, and upload them back onto the rebooted forum, to give it a bit of a kick along, and some familiarity from the beginnings..

FORUMATION may hold rights over the presentation and appearance, the "intellectual copyright" of the site itself, and the "content" ~ but they'd have bugger all chance of enforcing "ownership" of others' essays, comments and photo's. Especially if they try to fight someone with the originals still in our own possession, all the way from their company HQ over in France ? Would they consider that worth the costs ?

"THERE'S more than one way to skin a cat."    Basketball

That's really something to chew on, thanks LW Smile

- nicko
Ben Mothafuckin' Reilly

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Mothafuckin' Reilly on Wed Oct 01, 2014 8:18 am

veya_victaous wrote:Ok refreshed and I got No Avatars either now Sad Sad Sad Sad
and most of the similes are broken.

What's weird, is LW's avatar is still showing for me, but it's pretty much the only one ... I guess FM likes wolf pictures.

FM? Or Phil, Andrea, whoever? Please stop fucking with us, we're peace-loving weirdos who just want a little tech support. :D

- nicko
Ben Mothafuckin' Reilly

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Mothafuckin' Reilly on Wed Oct 01, 2014 8:55 am

What makes me sad is, I worked hard to rip off those smilies from other sites and upload them here.

OK, not really that hard.

- nicko
Ben Mothafuckin' Reilly

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Wed Oct 01, 2014 10:36 am

Ben_Reilly wrote:
sphinx wrote:

Yeah I tried that lol.

If you are going ahead and want some help with anything including choice of forum software let me know. I would not look at going dedicated or even virtual server to start with as honestly you will not need the resources at first and those are a fair bit of money if things dont work out. I mean I am on shared hosting with half a dozen sites up (OK a couple of the sites are experimental and get zip in the way of traffic) and dont get close to my resources. Even when running one of my busier sites like the Longleat one or opinionswappers I was not hitting limits and its a lot easier to find $10 -15 a month for shared hosting than it is $120 for a dedicated server or $80(ish) for a virtual.

One thing not to consider though is getting your own server at home - I do have them (or rather my OH does) and they are far more involved than you think. Server technology is growing at a rate behind the scenes and when you pay a service you are effectively paying for there to be someone with half a dozen different languages on hand caring for the hardware 24/7. It used to be worth hosting at home - now I would not bother.

Back to top Go down

Post by Original Quill on Wed Oct 01, 2014 3:53 pm

Wednesday morning and still no avvies.

Original Quill

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Lone Wolf on Wed Oct 01, 2014 6:09 pm

WOE is me !   Smilies have vanished altogether !!!

IT'S all an ISIS/ISIL payback for my renaming them to "Dogshit" last week..

NO doubt they hired a merry band of Chinese hackers to bring down Forumation around our ears !

I just had a look across some random threads == I can see avvies for veya, Sphinx, Quill, Elizel, eddie, Irn Bru..    Maybe 40% of those members that had posted on those threads...

WE'RE all doomed  ☞  'the end of the world as we know it !'

P.S. I just noticed that I have smilies on the "Edit" panes, but not the "Post" window ! Weird or wot ? scratch

lol!

Lone Wolf

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Original Quill on Wed Oct 01, 2014 6:19 pm

OZ is blessed. Nevil Shute was right.

Original Quill

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie on Wed Oct 01, 2014 7:19 pm

Know what I think?
Andrea Borgman has sneaked in and stolen them.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by veya_victaous on Wed Oct 01, 2014 11:55 pm

Ok I can see Quill's and My Avatar now???

Did others of you go and try and add/change and avatar when it was missing?

I can also see all the smilies again

veya_victaous

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Cass on Thu Oct 02, 2014 12:59 am

ya'll show up as teeny tiny question marks

Cool

the Nerd Queen of Nerds, the Lover of Books who Cooks

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Cass on Thu Oct 02, 2014 1:00 am

Cass wrote:ya'll show up as teeny tiny question marks

Cool

that one showed up cause I typed it in

Smile Rolling Eyes afro

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by veya_victaous on Thu Oct 02, 2014 1:08 am

I can See Snoopy too ::D::

veya_victaous

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Cass on Thu Oct 02, 2014 1:14 am

veya_victaous wrote:I can See Snoopy too ::D::

that's cause I'm awesome

seriously I cant see jack Sad

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Mothafuckin' Reilly on Thu Oct 02, 2014 2:17 am

I let FM know about it, on the thread, a lot of sites are reporting stuff like this. I've had some avatars display/some not, seen some smilies but not others, and on my profile I don't have the option to upload my own avatar to the site (and when I try linking it from another, it doesn't work).

I may cry.

- nicko
Ben Mothafuckin' Reilly

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Mothafuckin' Reilly on Thu Oct 02, 2014 2:21 am

Just noticed, our little "NF" tab icon is gone, too. D:

- nicko
Ben Mothafuckin' Reilly

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Thu Oct 02, 2014 11:09 am

Well I could see avatars and smilies yesterday - but no avatars today. That is UK based windows machine using firefox as browser.

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie on Thu Oct 02, 2014 3:59 pm

As the person who actually discovered the smilies were missing.....and started this scintillating thread where we moan and watch our avatars and smilies disappear in front of our eyes.......

Do I get like, an award, or a hat...or something?

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Original Quill on Thu Oct 02, 2014 4:00 pm

Woke up this morning. No avvies.

Original Quill

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Thu Oct 02, 2014 4:32 pm

eddie wrote:As the person who actually discovered the smilies were missing.....and started this scintillating thread where we moan and watch our avatars and smilies disappear in front of our eyes.......

Invited for a guest appearance on a certain someones next youtube video?

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Mothafuckin' Reilly on Thu Oct 02, 2014 6:17 pm

eddie wrote:As the person who actually discovered the smilies were missing.....and started this scintillating thread where we moan and watch our avatars and smilies disappear in front of our eyes.......

I'd give you a fancy title but it might not display properly ... how does "King of Beers" strike you?

- nicko
Ben Mothafuckin' Reilly

Back to top Go down

Post by Lone Wolf on Thu Oct 02, 2014 6:21 pm

eddie wrote:
As the person who actually discovered the smilies were missing.....and started this scintillating thread where we moan and watch our avatars and smilies disappear in front of our eyes.......

clown

I COULD always put all of my spider and snake photo's together into a special presentation album for you, eddie !!!

I don't know if anyone can top that idea ?

Lone Wolf

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie on Thu Oct 02, 2014 6:35 pm

@sphinx erm no thanks. It might mean I'll have to actually sit next to it!!

@Ben that sounds kinda cool.
Edit: oh sorry, I thought you'd said King of Beards...

@Wolf you,wouldn't!!
I will be very very nice to you if you don't......

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Mothafuckin' Reilly on Thu Oct 02, 2014 6:40 pm

OK, I was just able to re-upload my avatar -- I'm about to go to work on restoring the smilies.

You guys should try uploading your avvies again, por favor ...

- nicko
Ben Mothafuckin' Reilly

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Mothafuckin' Reilly on Thu Oct 02, 2014 6:49 pm

Trying something out real quick: http://illiweb.com/fa/i/avatars/31-65.jpg

- nicko
Ben Mothafuckin' Reilly

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Mothafuckin' Reilly on Thu Oct 02, 2014 6:50 pm

Nope, doesn't work ...

- nicko
Ben Mothafuckin' Reilly

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Thu Oct 02, 2014 7:33 pm

Seriously all the uploaded avatars should still be on the server - what has broken is the software path telling the computer to get the picture from such and such a place and display it here.
This is a software problem and forumotion should be sorting it out pronto. If I were you I would start firing off some very sharp complaints. If you had access to the servers you could pay someone to do it for you or even do it yourself but you do not have that sort of access with forumotion.
You could look on the admin controls and see if there is a specified path for avatars - cant remember if that is available or not.

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Mothafuckin' Reilly on Thu Oct 02, 2014 7:36 pm

I got fed up with them and started re-uploading our smilies. Not all of them were accepted, but we have pretty much the whole set back.

- nicko
Ben Mothafuckin' Reilly

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Mothafuckin' Reilly on Thu Oct 02, 2014 7:38 pm

And I looked -- doesn't look like there's a way to redefine the URL path to our avatars. I'd recommend everyone just upload their own again ... and maybe then the healing process can begin ...

- nicko
Ben Mothafuckin' Reilly

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next