Edds is back from holiday with a pressie for you all

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Edds is back from holiday with a pressie for you all

Post by eddie on Sun Sep 07, 2014 8:59 pm

Here it is:

:aspukeas:

That's what I've been doing all last night and today.

Bloody Spanish stomach bugs :aspffftas:

~ Charles F. Kettering
eddie
king of beards. Keeper of the Whip. head cook and bottle washer. Senior mushroom muncher

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Edds is back from holiday with a pressie for you all

Post by Guest on Sun Sep 07, 2014 9:01 pm

eddie wrote:Here it is:

:aspukeas:

That's what I've been doing all last night and today.

Bloody Spanish stomach bugs :aspffftas:

Sorry to hear Eddie, hope you feel better soon.x

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie on Sun Sep 07, 2014 9:02 pm

Feeling better now didge, can't face food at the moment so I hope Cass isn't cooking tonight.

Was a very weird bug; my joints hurt so much!

~ Charles F. Kettering
eddie
king of beards. Keeper of the Whip. head cook and bottle washer. Senior mushroom muncher

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Sun Sep 07, 2014 9:12 pm

eddie wrote:Feeling better now didge, can't face food at the moment so I hope Cass isn't cooking tonight.

Glad to hear Eddie you are better, so food by Cass maybe what the doctor ordered. ::D::

Catch you later

Back to top Go down

Post by feelthelove on Sun Sep 07, 2014 9:20 pm

eddie wrote:Feeling better now didge, can't face food at the moment so I hope Cass isn't cooking tonight.

Welcome home Eddie I love you x

Sounds awful, have you been to the Dr? Had a similar thing years ago in the Dom Rep, was in quarantine for a couple of weeks after our return and took a good 2 months to recover; highly infectious Sad

Queen of Smilies

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie on Sun Sep 07, 2014 10:02 pm

feelthelove wrote:

Sounds awful, have you been to the Dr? Had a similar thing years ago in the Dom Rep, was in quarantine for a couple of weeks after our return and took a good 2 months to recover; highly infectious Sad

Hi FTL xxxx

it was awful! I am not prone to stomach bugs normally, but I had no chance with all three of my family puking everywhere lol

It was the joint pain that was worse!! I've never known pain like it!!

~ Charles F. Kettering
eddie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Cass on Mon Sep 08, 2014 1:07 am

you're lucky lady - cause Mr. C and I have been shampooing carpets, rugs and sofas we're ordering pizza tonight.

I will pass on the present thanks. if you aren't better by tomorrow get to the docs xx

Nerd Queen
Nerd Queen

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Lone Wolf on Mon Sep 08, 2014 11:15 am

Idea  

WITH those 'GFC' basket cases like Spain, Greece and Italy fast approaching the status of 3rd World countries (with the notable exception of Greece, which has already reached the unenviable position of a "4th World" country, shared with the likes of North Korea, Rwanda and Somalia..); allied with the galloping climate changes inflicting much of the "civilised" world (I've seen 'The Day After Tomorrow', I'll have y'all know..); the chances of catching some formerly unheard-of rare tropical and remote area diseases must be shooting up in some kind of corresponding exponential growth curve ?

Q Fever
Ross River virus
Swine flu
Viral meningitis
Dengue fever
Barmah Forest virus
Screw Worm flies
Tuberculosis
Yellow fever
Ebola virus
The Plague
Rocky Mountain fever

PROBABLY NOT likely to be Giardia or Crypto', though - as they normally take something like 4-6 weeks to show up after drinking the water - though there's a thousand other ways of contracting a dose of the old "Montezuma's Revenge"..    cyclops

Last edited by Lone Wolf on Mon Sep 08, 2014 7:53 pm; edited 1 time in total

Lone Wolf

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie on Mon Sep 08, 2014 11:53 am

Cass wrote:

you're lucky lady - cause Mr. C and I have been shampooing carpets, rugs and sofas we're ordering pizza tonight.

I will pass on the present thanks. if you aren't better by tomorrow get to the docs xx

Feel slightly better Cass thanks x
The thought of your pizza made me gag pale

~ Charles F. Kettering
eddie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie on Mon Sep 08, 2014 11:54 am

Lone Wolf wrote:Idea  

WITH those 'GFC' basket cases like Spain, Greece and Italy fast approaching the status of 3rd World countries (with the notable exception of Greece, which has already reached the unenviable position of a "4th World" country, shared with the likes of North Korea, Rwanda and Somalia..); allied with the galloping climate changes inflicting much of the "civilised" world (I've seen 'The Day After Tomorrow', I'll have y'all know..); the chances of catching some formerly unheard-of rare tropical and remote area diseases must be shooting up in some kind of corresponding exponential growth curve ?

Q Fever
Ross River virus
Swine flu
Viral meningitis
Dengue fever
Barmah Forest virus
Screw Worm flies
Tuberculosis
Yellow fever
Ebola virus
The Plague
Rocky Mountain fever

PROBABLY NOT likely to be Giardia or Chlamydia, though - as they normally take something like 4-6 weeks to show up after drinking the water - though there's a thousand other ways of contracting a dose of the old "Montezuma's Revenge"..    cyclops

Erm, thanks wolf, I feel erm....ever so much better after reading that..... Shocked

~ Charles F. Kettering
eddie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by feelthelove on Mon Sep 08, 2014 7:06 pm

eddie wrote:
feelthelove wrote:

Hi FTL xxxx

it was awful! I am not prone to stomach bugs normally, but I had no chance with all three of my family puking everywhere lol

How are you feeling today Eddie?  You should go to the Doctor if you are not any better.  We had cryptosporidium and had Environmental Health on the phone, the whole nine yards as it's a notifiable disease.

Best to get yourselves checked out, these things can be highly infectious and can be passed in all kinds of ways Sad x

Queen of Smilies

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Lone Wolf on Mon Sep 08, 2014 7:49 pm

eddie wrote:

Q Fever
Ross River virus
Swine flu
Viral meningitis
Dengue fever
Barmah Forest virus
Screw Worm flies
Tuberculosis
Yellow fever
Ebola virus
The Plague
Rocky Mountain fever

PROBABLY NOT likely to be those parasites like Giardia or Crypto', though - as they normally take something like 4-6 weeks to show up after drinking the water - though there's a thousand other ways of contracting a dose of the old "Montezuma's Revenge"..    cyclops

Erm, thanks wolf, I feel erm....ever so much better after reading that..... Shocked

clown

NO worries, eddie..

That's what I'm here for ! tongue

Lone Wolf

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by David on Mon Sep 08, 2014 8:11 pm

feelthelove wrote:
eddie wrote:

Hi FTL xxxx

How are you feeling today Eddie?  You should go to the Doctor if you are not any better.  We had cryptosporidium and had Environmental Health on the phone, the whole nine yards as it's a notifiable disease.

Best to get yourselves checked out, these things can be highly infectious and can be passed in all kinds of ways Sad x
Good advice FTL x

Hope you feel better edds x

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie on Mon Sep 08, 2014 8:22 pm

Lone Wolf wrote:
eddie wrote:

Q Fever
Ross River virus
Swine flu
Viral meningitis
Dengue fever
Barmah Forest virus
Screw Worm flies
Tuberculosis
Yellow fever
Ebola virus
The Plague
Rocky Mountain fever

PROBABLY NOT likely to be those parasites like Giardia or Crypto', though - as they normally take something like 4-6 weeks to show up after drinking the water - though there's a thousand other ways of contracting a dose of the old "Montezuma's Revenge"..    cyclops

clown

NO worries, eddie..

That's what I'm here for !    tongue

::rfth::

~ Charles F. Kettering
eddie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie on Mon Sep 08, 2014 8:24 pm

David wrote:
feelthelove wrote:
eddie wrote:

Hi FTL xxxx

Good advice FTL x

Hope you feel better edds x

I don't think we have anything as bad as that FTL, we are all better except our stomachs are a little "weak" xxx

Thanks David x
I won't breathe on you...... lol!

~ Charles F. Kettering
eddie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Lone Wolf on Mon Sep 08, 2014 8:48 pm

Cool

GIARDIA and CRYPTOSORIDIUM are water-borne parasites [an amoeba and a protozoa, respectively], picked up from streams and drinking holes where animals defaecate, feed and die...

IT is a characteristic of such infestations that it takes weeks for signs to show - and if people come down sick in a matter of days from their exposure, than you know that it's not one of these, but more likely due to another bacteria, viruses or actual poisoning..

ALSO note, that because they are not bacteria, antibiotics don't affect them ~ treatment is by specific poisons against the invasive species, injected into your bloodstream..   pirat

Lone Wolf

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by feelthelove on Mon Sep 08, 2014 8:59 pm

Lone Wolf wrote:Cool

GIARDIA and CRYPTOSORIDIUM are water-borne parasites [an amoeba and a protozoa, respectively], picked up from streams and drinking holes where animals defaecate, feed and die...

IT is a characteristic of such infestations that it takes weeks for signs to show - and if people come down sick in a matter of days from their exposure, than you know that it's not one of these, but more likely due to another bacteria, viruses or actual poisoning..

ALSO note, that because they are not bacteria, antibiotics don't affect them ~ treatment is by specific poisons against the invasive species, injected into your bloodstream..   pirat

Hi Bee x

We developed symptoms the day before we came home from a two week holiday in the Dominican Republic and had confirmed diagnosis Sad There is no treatment, just time.

Not nice No

Queen of Smilies

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie on Mon Sep 08, 2014 10:22 pm

feelthelove wrote:
Lone Wolf wrote:Cool

Hi Bee x

We developed symptoms the day before we came home from a two week holiday in the Dominican Republic and had confirmed diagnosis Sad There is no treatment, just time.

Not nice No

I'm sure we dint have that though FTL? As we are all pretty much better x
What happened to you then? X

~ Charles F. Kettering
eddie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Cass on Mon Sep 08, 2014 11:45 pm

eddie wrote:
Cass wrote:

Feel slightly better Cass thanks x
The thought of your pizza made me gag pale

sorry chick. sounds as is you are recovering albeit slowly....drink sweet tea or Gatorade and toast to start you off.

Nerd Queen
Nerd Queen

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Original Quill on Tue Sep 09, 2014 5:29 am

eddie wrote:
feelthelove wrote:

Hi Bee x

Not nice No

Where were you, Eds? Spain?

There's a lot of difference between Spain and the Dominican Republic.

Terrorism: "..many fine people, on many sides" ― Donald Trump, Charlottesville, 8.15.17

"Work for America to fail whenever the other party is in power."
― Republican Senator Majority Leader Mitch McConnell
Original Quill

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie on Tue Sep 09, 2014 7:29 am

Actually Majorca Quill, yes.

We all came down with it 48 hours apart so it wasn't something we ingested - (we only drank bottled water as we do here anyway.)

It's obviously a horrible stomach bug but as we are all otherwise very healthy, I'm sure we just caught a bug we'd never had before.

I think my OH got it from the hospital he visited two days before with my son as my son hurt his foot and had it x-rayed (just a slight sprain fortunately)

All in all and lovely albeit sickly holiday!!

Btw we are looking to go to Dominican Republic in April actually.

~ Charles F. Kettering
eddie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Frazzled on Tue Sep 09, 2014 8:43 am

Some of those bugs are so contagious all it takes is a tiny lapse in hand hygiene to pass it on.  I always take an antibac hand gel away with me and use it religiously after a nasty case of Tutankhamen's Revenge some years ago.  Glad you're on the mend.
Frazzled

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Tue Sep 09, 2014 9:21 am

Q Fever
Ross River virus
Swine flu
Viral meningitis
Dengue fever
Barmah Forest virus
Screw Worm flies
Tuberculosis
Yellow fever
Ebola virus
The Plague
Rocky Mountain fever

PROBABLY NOT likely to be Giardia or Crypto', though - as they normally take something like 4-6 weeks to show up after drinking the water - though there's a thousand other ways of contracting a dose of the old "Montezuma's Revenge"..    cyclops

I got Montezuma's Revenge in Acapulco. Revenge is definitely the right word for it!
pale

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Tue Sep 09, 2014 9:23 am

eddie wrote:Actually Majorca Quill, yes.

We all came down with it 48 hours apart so it wasn't something we ingested - (we only drank bottled water as we do here anyway.)

It's obviously a horrible stomach bug but as we are all otherwise very healthy, I'm sure we just caught a bug we'd never had before.

I think my OH got it from the hospital he visited two days before with my son as my son hurt his foot and had it x-rayed (just a slight sprain fortunately)

You don't have the best luck abroad do you flower?!

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie on Tue Sep 09, 2014 3:36 pm

Nems wrote:

Now what makes you say that nems? :ashmmmas:

~ Charles F. Kettering
eddie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Original Quill on Tue Sep 09, 2014 5:32 pm

You don't typically associate Palma with bugs.  It's a modern, first-world country.

When I lived there I used to spend a lot of time in Menorca...Mahón and environs.  Modern medicine everywhere.  Do they know what you contracted?

Terrorism: "..many fine people, on many sides" ― Donald Trump, Charlottesville, 8.15.17

"Work for America to fail whenever the other party is in power."
― Republican Senator Majority Leader Mitch McConnell
Original Quill

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Tue Sep 09, 2014 5:42 pm

eddie wrote:
Nems wrote:

Lol where were you when you tripped and ended up in hostipal?!

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie on Tue Sep 09, 2014 5:50 pm

Nems wrote:
eddie wrote:
Nems wrote:

Bulgaria. Full of pot holes the size of Bulgaria.

~ Charles F. Kettering
eddie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie on Tue Sep 09, 2014 5:51 pm

Original Quill wrote:

You don't typically associate Palma with bugs.  It's a modern, first-world country.

When I lived there I used to spend a lot of time in Menorca...Mahón and environs.  Modern medicine everywhere.  Do they know what you contracted?

Not sure Quill. Still don't feel entirely "right", not eating much tbh.

I'm sure it was just a nasty bug that I'd never come across before. I'm usually pretty immune to stomach bugs.

~ Charles F. Kettering
eddie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Tue Sep 09, 2014 5:55 pm

eddie wrote:
Nems wrote:

Bulgaria. Full of pot holes the size of Bulgaria.

Ah it must be twinned with Liverpool

Back to top Go down

Post by feelthelove on Tue Sep 09, 2014 7:29 pm

eddie wrote:
feelthelove wrote:

Hi Bee x

Not nice No

Glad you are feeling better Eddie I love you x

We both developed very upset stomachs, so bad we couldn't leave the room.  Terrible pain, nothing we took seemed to help.  Fortunately we only developed symptoms 36 hours before we were due to come home  Sad

Once we were home we were tested and that's when we had the health authorities on the phone worried we'd been in swimming pools or other situations when others could become infected. We hadn't of course. I believe we were infected after some heavy rainfall when a pond where animals bathed and drank mixed with the sea as the sand was washed away.

It took us a good couple of months to pick up again.  I don't think it's all that common

Didn't go back to the Dominican for some years though No

Queen of Smilies

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie on Tue Sep 09, 2014 9:22 pm

feelthelove wrote:
eddie wrote:
feelthelove wrote:

Hi Bee x

Not nice No

We both developed very upset stomachs, so bad we couldn't leave the room.  Terrible pain, nothing we took seemed to help.  Fortunately we only developed symptoms 36 hours before we were due to come home  Sad

Once we were home we were tested and that's when we had the health authorities on the phone worried we'd been in swimming pools or other situations when others could become infected. We hadn't of course. I believe we were infected after some heavy rainfall when a pond where animals bathed and drank mixed with the sea as the sand was washed away.

It took us a good couple of months to pick up again.  I don't think it's all that common

Wow. Poor you!!! Xx
I've just asked you on another thread if you could recommend anywhere nice in the dom rep?
Would you advise against taking children?

~ Charles F. Kettering
eddie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by feelthelove on Wed Sep 10, 2014 7:50 pm

eddie wrote:
feelthelove wrote:

Wow. Poor you!!! Xx
I've just asked you on another thread if you could recommend anywhere nice in the dom rep?
Would you advise against taking children?

Hi Eddie x

OK, I've been to the Dom Rep a few times now.  The first time in 2002, second in 2003 when we fell ill so we took a break for a good few years pale  Off the top of my head.................

Luxury Bahia Principe Cayo Levantado Don Pablo Collection

Absolutely loved this the first time we went there, heaven on earth  I love you  One hotel on an island, the beach, the views, the service second to none.

Went back a second time and the entertainment let them down but still in my top three places I've ever been.  This is a perfect couples destination, romantic, beautiful.

Excellence Punta Cana

Loved the complex, the food, the rooms, the hot tubs.  Only minus was the rough sea and I love to swim in the sea.  Dangerous to the point that you couldn't go out far without the lifeguards rushing to save you. My parents went too at a later date and experienced the same.

Riu Mambo,  Puerto Plata

We adored this, three hotels in one.  The Bachata, Mambo and Merengue. Lots going on and if you were bored you could move on to the next hotel in the evenings.  Great entertainment for kids, although I don't have any I do love to watch them at the kiddies disco.  

This is where we fell ill though and haven't been back since, even so it was a fun and lively place.  If we hadn't been so ill I'm sure we'd have been back again.

Grand Bahia Principe Punta Cana

We were disappointed here, obvious signs of prostitution.  Weird, we would never go back pale

Like most things you get what you pay for.  If you are considering the Dom Rep I would recommend nothing less that a 4*+   The Dom Rep is very reasonably priced compared to much of the Caribbean.  Have you anywhere in mind?

Queen of Smilies

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie on Wed Sep 10, 2014 8:41 pm

Punta Cana was somewhere we were looking at actually.... (Btw, we stayed at a place in Bulgaria that was a bit "porno" not far from the hotel...bit wrong IMO)
After reading all your reviews (you should do it professionally!) I'd say I like the place you fell ill....simply because we need something for the children, otherwise they will be bored.

Thank you so much. Going to read this to my Oh on Sunday where he's off, as that's when we are looking to book.
Appreciate it FTL xxxx

~ Charles F. Kettering
eddie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by feelthelove on Thu Sep 11, 2014 6:35 pm

eddie wrote:Punta Cana was somewhere we were looking at actually.... (Btw, we stayed at a place in Bulgaria that was a bit "porno" not far from the hotel...bit wrong IMO)
After reading all your reviews (you should do it professionally!) I'd say I like the place you fell ill....simply because we need something for the children, otherwise they will be bored.

Thank you so much. Going to read this to my Oh on Sunday where he's off, as that's when we are looking to book.
Appreciate it FTL xxxx

You are welcome Eddie, good luck.  You will find that the Riu Mambo is very reasonably priced.  I would go for this over the Bachata although this is the newest hotel the buildings are larger and higher.  The Merengue is the oldest of the three hotels.  The Mambo was my favourite but perhaps it was because I was staying there?

We haven't been there since 2003 so check out the reviews on Trip Advisor.  It's a large resort with plenty of bars and restaurants. The Dom Rep is not the sort of place you can leave the hotel and pop off to a local restaurant if you get bored.  You are pretty much on the resort apart from trips so it's important that you have enough to do if you're that way inclined.

Me? I'm happy with my iPod and Kindle so it's perfect for me   x

Queen of Smilies

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie on Thu Sep 11, 2014 7:22 pm

Thanks,FTL x
I have someone else helping me with some choices - a professional as it were lol

~ Charles F. Kettering
eddie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by feelthelove on Thu Sep 11, 2014 7:29 pm

eddie wrote:Thanks,FTL x
I have someone else helping me with some choices - a professional as it were lol

I thought you might lol!

Queen of Smilies

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie on Thu Sep 11, 2014 7:54 pm

feelthelove wrote:
eddie wrote:Thanks,FTL x

I thought you might lol!

HAHAHAHAHA x

~ Charles F. Kettering
eddie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum