How scared of Spiders are You?

Go down

How scared of Spiders are You?

Post by veya_victaous on Mon Aug 11, 2014 6:44 am

Come on Scaredy cats
give it a go
http://www.buzzfeed.com/alanwhite/how-scared-of-spiders-are-you-actually



I'm gonna put it out there that this one is fake.
it is very big for a jumper type and all spiders squish easily and definitely do not have the force to knock a human down (except out of terror) Suspect Suspect Suspect 

_________________
My job is to travel the world delivering Chaos and Candy.

We don't know the Questions... does that means we cannot seek the Answers?
avatar
veya_victaous
The Mod Loki, Minister of Chaos & Candy, Emperor of the Southern Realms, Captain Kangaroo

Posts : 18657
Join date : 2013-01-23
Age : 35
Location : Australia

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: How scared of Spiders are You?

Post by Lone Wolf on Mon Aug 11, 2014 7:10 am

::D:: 


_________________
"When all the trees have been cut down,   when all the animals have been hunted,
when all the waters are polluted,   when all the air is unsafe to breathe,
Only then will you discover you cannot eat money."
avatar
Lone Wolf

Posts : 2994
Join date : 2014-03-07
Age : 60
Location : Backwoods and Beyond

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: How scared of Spiders are You?

Post by *THE Ben Reilly* on Mon Aug 11, 2014 7:17 am

It's weird, it looks fake at first, and more realistic on repeated viewings. I mean how its back right leg moves as our hero closes in with knife, bowl and helmet ...

Probably fake, but the leg moving is a nice touch Smile

_________________
“She's a well thought-out plan and I don't know how it happened.”

Eli Young
avatar
*THE Ben Reilly*
Cowboy King. Dread Pirate of the Guadalupe. Enemy of the American people.

Posts : 24630
Join date : 2013-01-19
Age : 43
Location : Jamás Bese el Culo Del Jefe, Texas

View user profile http://www.newsfixboard.com

Back to top Go down

Re: How scared of Spiders are You?

Post by Lone Wolf on Mon Aug 11, 2014 7:24 am

veya_victaous wrote:
Come on Scaredy cats
give it a go
http://www.buzzfeed.com/alanwhite/how-scared-of-spiders-are-you-actually



I'm gonna put it out there that this one is fake.
it is very big for a jumper type and all spiders squish easily and definitely do not have the force to knock a human down (except out of terror) Suspect Suspect Suspect 

 Cool 

DEFINITELY a fake...

LOOKS like one of those sticky_rubber spiders that you can buy for a couple of $$$ at toyshops and newsagents..

FOR that video stunt, they could have stuck it on the wall with double-sided tape or rubber cement ~ and then used a fine monofilament fishing line to yank it back (possibly why a leg moved - that's where they attached the thread..) and make it look like it's jumping at that doofus "attacking" it.    Smile

_________________
"When all the trees have been cut down,   when all the animals have been hunted,
when all the waters are polluted,   when all the air is unsafe to breathe,
Only then will you discover you cannot eat money."
avatar
Lone Wolf

Posts : 2994
Join date : 2014-03-07
Age : 60
Location : Backwoods and Beyond

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: How scared of Spiders are You?

Post by Guest on Mon Aug 11, 2014 10:05 am

How Scared Of Spiders Are You Actually?

You got: I’m not scared of spiders!
Come on people. GET A GRIP.

Wasn't that from the film Arachnapobia?

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Re: How scared of Spiders are You?

Post by eddie on Mon Aug 11, 2014 11:14 am

I don't need to do a quiz. I hate them and when they're in my house they get killed.
Simple.

_________________
INTELLIGENCE - “Not because you think you know everything without questioning, but rather because you question everything you think you know.”

Word. Cool
avatar
eddie
King of Beards. Keeper of the Whip. Top Chef. BEES!!!!!! Mushroom muncher. Spider aficionado!

Posts : 36006
Join date : 2013-07-28
Age : 48
Location : England

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: How scared of Spiders are You?

Post by Guest on Mon Aug 11, 2014 11:24 am

eddie wrote:I don't need to do a quiz. I hate them and when they're in my house they get killed.
Simple.

In which case, you will have to learn to deal with the flies they would have killed for you lol

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Re: How scared of Spiders are You?

Post by Lone Wolf on Mon Aug 11, 2014 11:32 am

eddie wrote:
I don't need to do a quiz. I hate them and when they're in my house they get killed.
Simple.

 affraid 

YOU environmental vandal, You !!!

MAY you be infested with 10,000 cockroaches and hordes of flies ~ that would have otherwise been swiftly dispatched by said [late] spiders..

 :🚪

_________________
"When all the trees have been cut down,   when all the animals have been hunted,
when all the waters are polluted,   when all the air is unsafe to breathe,
Only then will you discover you cannot eat money."
avatar
Lone Wolf

Posts : 2994
Join date : 2014-03-07
Age : 60
Location : Backwoods and Beyond

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: How scared of Spiders are You?

Post by Fred Moletrousers on Mon Aug 11, 2014 11:35 am

Lone Wolf wrote:
eddie wrote:
I don't need to do a quiz. I hate them and when they're in my house they get killed.
Simple.

 affraid 

YOU environmental vandal, You !!!

MAY you be infested with 10,000 cockroaches and hordes of flies ~ that would have otherwise been swiftly dispatched by said [late] spiders..

 :🚪

I don't think our puny little Anglospiders would be able to tackle yer average cockroach. I'm assuming that in Oz you have spiders the size of dinner plates that eat koala bears for breakfast.
avatar
Fred Moletrousers
MABEL, THE GREAT ZOG

Posts : 2111
Join date : 2014-01-23

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: How scared of Spiders are You?

Post by Guest on Mon Aug 11, 2014 11:42 am

Fred Moletrousers wrote:
Lone Wolf wrote:
 affraid 

YOU environmental vandal, You !!!

MAY you be infested with 10,000 cockroaches and hordes of flies ~ that would have otherwise been swiftly dispatched by said [late] spiders..

 :🚪

I don't think our puny little Anglospiders would be able to tackle yer average cockroach. I'm assuming that in Oz you have spiders the size of dinner plates that eat koala bears for breakfast.

They can tackle flies though, and Eddie hates flies.

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Re: How scared of Spiders are You?

Post by eddie on Mon Aug 11, 2014 11:58 am

Sassy wrote:
Fred Moletrousers wrote:
Lone Wolf wrote:
 affraid 

YOU environmental vandal, You !!!

MAY you be infested with 10,000 cockroaches and hordes of flies ~ that would have otherwise been swiftly dispatched by said [late] spiders..

 :🚪

I don't think our puny little Anglospiders would be able to tackle yer average cockroach. I'm assuming that in Oz you have spiders the size of dinner plates that eat koala bears for breakfast.

They can tackle flies though, and Eddie hates flies.

That's true. I clearly didn't think it through  Shocked 

_________________
INTELLIGENCE - “Not because you think you know everything without questioning, but rather because you question everything you think you know.”

Word. Cool
avatar
eddie
King of Beards. Keeper of the Whip. Top Chef. BEES!!!!!! Mushroom muncher. Spider aficionado!

Posts : 36006
Join date : 2013-07-28
Age : 48
Location : England

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: How scared of Spiders are You?

Post by nicko on Mon Aug 11, 2014 12:27 pm

G et a cat, my cat kills spiders and stalks flies and kills them by jumping up and "clapping" them between his paws. Only drawback is he eats em!!
avatar
nicko

Posts : 10241
Join date : 2013-12-07
Age : 77
Location : rainbow bridge

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: How scared of Spiders are You?

Post by Lone Wolf on Mon Aug 11, 2014 12:33 pm

Fred Moletrousers wrote:
Lone Wolf wrote:
 affraid 

YOU environmental vandal, You !!!

MAY you be infested with 10,000 cockroaches and hordes of flies ~ that would have otherwise been swiftly dispatched by said [late] spiders..

 :🚪

I don't think our puny little Anglospiders would be able to tackle yer average cockroach. I'm assuming that in Oz you have spiders the size of dinner plates that eat koala bears for breakfast.

 Smile 

THAT brown Huntsman spider in the photo' that I took above, could be about double or more that size in real life..

_________________
"When all the trees have been cut down,   when all the animals have been hunted,
when all the waters are polluted,   when all the air is unsafe to breathe,
Only then will you discover you cannot eat money."
avatar
Lone Wolf

Posts : 2994
Join date : 2014-03-07
Age : 60
Location : Backwoods and Beyond

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: How scared of Spiders are You?

Post by Raggamuffin on Mon Aug 11, 2014 2:25 pm

I used to be scared of them, but I cured myself. I'm still not keen on them, but I can put them out of the house now without getting hysterical. I would never kill them.

_________________

"It ain't over 'til it's over"
avatar
Raggamuffin

Posts : 31233
Join date : 2014-02-10

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: How scared of Spiders are You?

Post by Guest on Mon Aug 11, 2014 6:01 pm

nicko wrote:G et a cat,   my cat kills spiders and stalks flies and kills them by jumping up and "clapping" them between his paws.  Only drawback is he eats em!!

My cat used to eat flies too Nicko, even the big ones

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Re: How scared of Spiders are You?

Post by Fred Moletrousers on Mon Aug 11, 2014 6:38 pm

Lone Wolf wrote:
Fred Moletrousers wrote:

I don't think our puny little Anglospiders would be able to tackle yer average cockroach. I'm assuming that in Oz you have spiders the size of dinner plates that eat koala bears for breakfast.

 Smile 

THAT brown Huntsman spider in the photo' that I took above, could be about double or more that size in real life..

Damn! Too big to suck up the dust tube of my vacuum cleaner, then...
avatar
Fred Moletrousers
MABEL, THE GREAT ZOG

Posts : 2111
Join date : 2014-01-23

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: How scared of Spiders are You?

Post by Fred Moletrousers on Mon Aug 11, 2014 6:52 pm

Years ago, when I was treading the amateur boards (you lot never knew that ol' Moletrousers was once Baron Hardup and on another ocassion the Sheriff of Nottingham, did you?) we were doing the pantomime Little Miss Muffett directed by a semi pro female acress who was terrified of spiders.

The spider that sat down beside Miss Muffett in the original nursery rhyme was a cute child actor and the director had no problems with that, but on the last night the mischievous stage hands lowered a big hairy and very realistic looking toy spider from the auditorium ceiling right onto the director's lap where she was sitting on the front row.

The poor girl actually screamed and fainted and the show had to be stopped while a nurse who lived in the village looked after her.

She was still pale and shaking when she was presented with the traditional bouquet of flowers after the final curtain.
avatar
Fred Moletrousers
MABEL, THE GREAT ZOG

Posts : 2111
Join date : 2014-01-23

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: How scared of Spiders are You?

Post by eddie on Mon Aug 11, 2014 11:36 pm

Fred Moletrousers wrote:Years ago, when I was treading the amateur boards (you lot never knew that ol' Moletrousers was once Baron Hardup and on another ocassion the Sheriff of Nottingham, did you?) we were doing the pantomime Little Miss Muffett directed by a semi pro female acress who was terrified of spiders.

The spider that sat down beside Miss Muffett in the original nursery rhyme was a cute child actor and the director had no problems with that, but on the last night the mischievous stage hands lowered a big hairy and very realistic looking toy spider from the auditorium ceiling right onto the director's lap where she was sitting on the front row.

The poor girl actually screamed and fainted and the show had to be stopped while a nurse who lived in the village looked after her.

She was still pale and shaking when she was presented with the traditional bouquet of flowers after the final curtain.

Well,that's just plain mean  Evil or Very Mad 

_________________
INTELLIGENCE - “Not because you think you know everything without questioning, but rather because you question everything you think you know.”

Word. Cool
avatar
eddie
King of Beards. Keeper of the Whip. Top Chef. BEES!!!!!! Mushroom muncher. Spider aficionado!

Posts : 36006
Join date : 2013-07-28
Age : 48
Location : England

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: How scared of Spiders are You?

Post by veya_victaous on Tue Aug 12, 2014 1:06 am

Fred Moletrousers wrote:
Lone Wolf wrote:
eddie wrote:
I don't need to do a quiz. I hate them and when they're in my house they get killed.
Simple.

 affraid 

YOU environmental vandal, You !!!

MAY you be infested with 10,000 cockroaches and hordes of flies ~ that would have otherwise been swiftly dispatched by said [late] spiders..

 :🚪

I don't think our puny little Anglospiders would be able to tackle yer average cockroach. I'm assuming that in Oz you have spiders the size of dinner plates that eat koala bears for breakfast.

size of dinner Plates Yes, but none eat Koalas  Wink .... Koalas eat too much Eucalyptus making them virtually inedible / mildly poisonous  Cool 

the Huntsmen Like Wolf posted are regularly plate sized and top notch roach killers

_________________
My job is to travel the world delivering Chaos and Candy.

We don't know the Questions... does that means we cannot seek the Answers?
avatar
veya_victaous
The Mod Loki, Minister of Chaos & Candy, Emperor of the Southern Realms, Captain Kangaroo

Posts : 18657
Join date : 2013-01-23
Age : 35
Location : Australia

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: How scared of Spiders are You?

Post by Guest on Tue Aug 12, 2014 11:57 pm

Vid clip in OP

ok lets assume that the pillow was 30cm away when te spider jumped
let su also assume for the sake of the discussion that the guy holding the pillow does so with his arms ridgid, and that the pillow has NO "give"

let us assume that the guy weighs about 10 stone...63.5Kg
let us also assume that he is driven back 1 meter by the collision and that he is driven back at a rate of 1m/second

this implies a force of 63.5kg.m

let us assume the spider weighs 500g
and that it takes 0.1 second to cover the distance from the wall to the pillow

to attain a force of 63.5kg/m it implies that the spider is travelling at 63500/500 = 127m/second on impact

to attain that over 30 cm its acceleration is 127/0.1 or 1270m.second^2

NOW the force acting on the spider in accelerating at 1270m.s^2 is (F=mass x acceleration) .5 (kg)x 1270 = 635Kg/m/s

thats 635/9.8 =64 g

A soider that accelerated witha force of 64 g would firstly squish
secondly its legs would fall off

thirdly it couldnt harm anyone...spiders are NOT meant to execute 64g manoevers

moreover at 127m/s which is 127x60x60 = 457Km/hour air resistance would rip its legs off

so there...........



Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Re: How scared of Spiders are You?

Post by Sponsored content


Sponsored content


Back to top Go down

Back to top


 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum