Have you ever met a true Narcissist and how did you deal with them?

Go down

Have you ever met a true Narcissist and how did you deal with them? Empty Have you ever met a true Narcissist and how did you deal with them?

Post by FluffyBunny on Thu Jul 24, 2014 12:16 pm

Above is a video listing the sociopathic traits of true narcissists and how to try and distance yourself from their destructive behaviour.

People think or assume narcissism is merely excessive vanity.That is one trait but malignant narcissists are infact incapable of empathy and compassion and that is the characteristic that truly defines them.They need to have power and influence over other people in order to feel good,this is called 'narcissitic supply.'

I wondered if anyone has dealt with true narcissists and these will be people that adopt a fake 'nice' persona at first and then quickly become vicious and seemingly incapable of empathy,these people CANNOT understand the emotions of other people.They cannot relate to the distress of others,if anything they enjoy causing others distress and tend to 'hone in' on people they perceive as vulnerable.

Interestingly enough (to me at least!) narcissism is now so prevalent in today's western modern world it has been removed from the DSM list of mental disorders.To possess no empathy for others is now seen as the norm and is infact seen as a virtue in the cut throat occupations of high finance etc.

FluffyBunny

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Have you ever met a true Narcissist and how did you deal with them? Empty Re: Have you ever met a true Narcissist and how did you deal with them?

Post by eddie on Thu Jul 24, 2014 3:00 pm

Gerry McCann is one.
Just check out his interviews and listen to how he speaks.

Please stop saying "You can't joke about anything anymore". You can. You can joke about whatever the fuck you like. And some people won't like it and they will tell you they don't like it. And then it's up to you whether you give a fuck or not. And so on. It's a good system. ~ Ricky Gervais
eddie
eddie
King of Beards. Keeper of the Whip. Top Chef. BEES!!!!!! Mushroom muncher. Spider aficionado!

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Have you ever met a true Narcissist and how did you deal with them? Empty Re: Have you ever met a true Narcissist and how did you deal with them?

Post by gerber on Thu Jul 24, 2014 3:31 pm

I divorced the son of a............................

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by FluffyBunny on Thu Jul 24, 2014 3:50 pm

eddie wrote:Gerry McCann is one.

I'm not sure we have enough evidence to be able to decide if Gerry McCann is a narcissist.

They are incapable of having intimate relationships without being abusive. Unless his spouse is a co dependant she would not remain in that sort of hostile environment.Here are the traits properly listed-

An all-pervasive pattern of grandiosity (in fantasy or behaviour), need for admiration or adulation and lack of empathy, usually beginning by early adulthood and present in various contexts. Five (or more) of the following criteria must be met:

Feels grandiose and self-important (e.g., exaggerates achievements and talents to the point of lying, demands to be recognized as superior without commensurate achievements)

Is obsessed with fantasies of unlimited success, fame, fearsome power or omnipotence, unequalled brilliance (the cerebral narcissist), bodily beauty or sexual performance (the somatic narcissist), or ideal, everlasting, all-conquering love or passion

Firmly convinced that he or she is unique and, being special, can only be understood by, should only be treated by, or associate with, other special or unique, or high-status people (or institutions)

Requires excessive admiration, adulation, attention and affirmation - or, failing that, wishes to be feared and to be notorious (narcissistic supply)

Feels entitled. Expects unreasonable or special and favorable priority treatment. Demands automatic and full compliance with his or her expectations

Is "interpersonally exploitative", i.e., uses others to achieve his or her own ends

Devoid of empathy. Is unable or unwilling to identify with or acknowledge the feelings and needs of others

Constantly envious of others or believes that they feel the same about him or her

Arrogant, haughty behaviours or attitudes coupled with rage when frustrated, contradicted, or confronted
This is a more in depth look at malignant narcissism

FluffyBunny

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Thu Jul 24, 2014 4:02 pm

I don't know if I've ever met a "true" narcissist but I have met someone with those tendancies

"excessively preoccupied with personal adequacy, power, prestige and vanity, mentally unable to see the destructive damage they are causing to themselves and to others in the process."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Narcissistic_personality_disorder

I cut them out of my life completely; not healthy  No

Back to top Go down

Post by Andy on Thu Jul 24, 2014 4:04 pm

Hugh Jardon was one before his calamitous decision making got him barred.
Huge house, massive wealth, wonderful job paying a fortune for spending all day on a dull forum, splendid holidays and top of the range beamer.
He was the original great "I am".

Andy
Poet Laureate & Traveling Bard of NewsFix

Location : Winning the fight to drain the swamp of far right extremists.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by FluffyBunny on Thu Jul 24, 2014 5:17 pm

feelthelove wrote:I don't know if I've ever met a "true" narcissist but I have met someone with those tendancies

"excessively preoccupied with personal adequacy, power, prestige and vanity, mentally unable to see the destructive damage they are causing to themselves and to others in the process."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Narcissistic_personality_disorder

I cut them out of my life completely; not healthy  No

Yes,it is best to completely cut them out of your life because they do not experience genuine human empathy and cannot relate to someone else's distress at all.

it is apparently very draining for narcs to have to pretend to be interested in the plights of others,they don't understand why people cry at sad situations etc but understand it is the social norm and so have to adhere to it.They are just an empty shell.In a way I feel sorry for them because they can never just truly be themselves.

I am very interested in this.I have not met a genuine narcissist myself but as I stated earlier they are apparently very well suited to careers in high finance and many celebrities are supposed to be narcissistic. The desire to be the best,even if they ruin the lives of other people in the process is all that matters to them.

edit apparently i'm a narcissist  ::D:: 

People reading elsewhere need to take the time to actually read the proper definition and understand what malignant narcissism actually is,the checklist is above and also a video stating the traits.

Narcissists are virtually incapable of self deprication.
They prey on individuals they perceive as being vulnerable.

FluffyBunny

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by FluffyBunny on Thu Jul 24, 2014 5:36 pm

Handy Andy wrote:Hugh Jardon was one before his calamitous decision making got him barred.
Huge house, massive wealth, wonderful job paying a fortune for spending all day on  a dull forum, splendid holidays and top of the range beamer.

Narcissists will often construct fantasy lives of having beautiful homes,wonderful careers,cars,material possessions etc.

Unfortunately I have not had the pleasure of meeting...Hugh Jardon  Laughing 

FluffyBunny

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Andy on Thu Jul 24, 2014 5:40 pm

Trust me Fluffs, it isn't a pleasure.

Andy
Poet Laureate & Traveling Bard of NewsFix

Location : Winning the fight to drain the swamp of far right extremists.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Thu Jul 24, 2014 6:19 pm

FluffyBunny wrote:
Handy Andy wrote:Hugh Jardon was one before his calamitous decision making got him barred.
Huge house, massive wealth, wonderful job paying a fortune for spending all day on  a dull forum, splendid holidays and top of the range beamer.

Narcissists will often construct fantasy lives of having beautiful homes,wonderful careers,cars,material possessions etc.

Did have to laugh Fluff, pretty sure FTL was referring to me, the me thinking she was referring to me she would say was narcissistic, but me being able to take the piss out of the fact she thinks I am shows the opposite.   cheers cheers cheers  Now when you come to obsessives then I definitely know one:

Have you ever met a true Narcissist and how did you deal with them? Farty_10

Back to top Go down

Post by FluffyBunny on Thu Jul 24, 2014 6:26 pm

Sassy wrote:
FluffyBunny wrote:

Did have to laugh Fluff, pretty sure FTL was referring to me, the me thinking she was referring to me she would say was narcissistic, but me being able to take the piss out of the fact she thinks I am shows the opposite.   cheers cheers cheers  Now when you come to obsessives then I definitely know one:

Don't fret Sassy,I too am a narcissistic person by all accounts and jolly wonderful it is too  lol! 

Narcissists enjoy treating other people badly in order to make themselves feel a little bit better,that is not something I do and I know that.

I am however obsessed with chocolate  flower 

FluffyBunny

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Thu Jul 24, 2014 6:54 pm

Sassy wrote:
FluffyBunny wrote:

Have you ever met a true Narcissist and how did you deal with them? Off_to10 No it doesn't, it shows you are completely self obsessed and think every comment made by me is about you.  Now I'm sure you have more important things to worry about Have you ever met a true Narcissist and how did you deal with them? Get_a_10

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Thu Jul 24, 2014 7:10 pm

See Fluffs, she just has to, can't help herself lol

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Thu Jul 24, 2014 7:27 pm

Sassy wrote:See Fluffs, she just has to, can't help herself lol

No you jumped in on a comment I made which had nothing to do with you because either

a) you are self obsessed
b) you are narcissistic and in denial
c) you think every comment I make is about you
d) you just wanted to start a fight OR
e) you are still sore at me objecting to you wishing cancer on people last night

Leave me alone, I have nothing to say to you and you are taking over Fluffy's thread, something she is very interested in Have you ever met a true Narcissist and how did you deal with them? Get_on10

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie on Thu Jul 24, 2014 7:36 pm

FluffyBunny wrote:

I'm not sure we have enough evidence to be able to decide if Gerry McCann is a narcissist.

They are incapable of having intimate relationships without being abusive. Unless his spouse is a co dependant she would not remain in that sort of hostile environment.Here are the traits properly listed-

An all-pervasive pattern of grandiosity (in fantasy or behaviour), need for admiration or adulation and lack of empathy, usually beginning by early adulthood and present in various contexts. Five (or more) of the following criteria must be met:

Feels grandiose and self-important (e.g., exaggerates achievements and talents to the point of lying, demands to be recognized as superior without commensurate achievements)

Is obsessed with fantasies of unlimited success, fame, fearsome power or omnipotence, unequalled brilliance (the cerebral narcissist), bodily beauty or sexual performance (the somatic narcissist), or ideal, everlasting, all-conquering love or passion

Firmly convinced that he or she is unique and, being special, can only be understood by, should only be treated by, or associate with, other special or unique, or high-status people (or institutions)

Requires excessive admiration, adulation, attention and affirmation - or, failing that, wishes to be feared and to be notorious (narcissistic supply)

Feels entitled. Expects unreasonable or special and favorable priority treatment. Demands automatic and full compliance with his or her expectations

Is "interpersonally exploitative", i.e., uses others to achieve his or her own ends

Devoid of empathy. Is unable or unwilling to identify with or acknowledge the feelings and needs of others

Constantly envious of others or believes that they feel the same about him or her

Arrogant, haughty behaviours or attitudes coupled with rage when frustrated, contradicted, or confronted

Yes. Like I said.
Gerry McCann is one.

You've described him to a tee.

Please stop saying "You can't joke about anything anymore". You can. You can joke about whatever the fuck you like. And some people won't like it and they will tell you they don't like it. And then it's up to you whether you give a fuck or not. And so on. It's a good system. ~ Ricky Gervais
eddie
eddie
King of Beards. Keeper of the Whip. Top Chef. BEES!!!!!! Mushroom muncher. Spider aficionado!

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie on Thu Jul 24, 2014 7:39 pm

Sassy wrote:See Fluffs, she just has to, can't help herself lol

FTL didn't name you, so you have obviously jumped the gun a bit there sassy!

eddie
eddie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Thu Jul 24, 2014 7:40 pm

FluffyBunny wrote:

Absolutely agree, people who judge the McCanns seem to think that they either murdered the child or should just give up and go away rather than them trying to keep her in the public eye to find her. That's not narcissism, that's incredibly strength in the face of overwhelming odds.

I certainly know fantacists who are manipulative to the nth degree and get very upset if challenged and who use others to exploit their ends.

I would say there are a lot of people about who seem to be devoid of empathy, unless it's a situation they have actually experienced themselves. But then, that's the human race Fluff, not many who are perfect, not many who are evil, although I know some who show signs of that. Most people are a bit inbetween everything.

Back to top Go down

Post by FluffyBunny on Thu Jul 24, 2014 9:49 pm

Sassy wrote:
FluffyBunny wrote:

Absolutely agree, people who judge the McCanns seem to think that they either murdered the child or should just give up and go away rather than them trying to keep her in the public eye to find her.   That's not narcissism, that's incredibly strength in the face of overwhelming odds.

I certainly know fantacists who are manipulative to the nth degree and get very upset if challenged and who use others to exploit their ends.

I would say there are a lot of people about who seem to be devoid of empathy, unless it's a situation they have actually experienced themselves.   But then, that's the human race Fluff, not many who are perfect, not many who are evil, although I know some who show signs of that.   Most people are a bit inbetween everything.

I think that's a very astute post Sassy.

I just have alot of interest in psychopathology and the fact that psychopathic levels of narcissism are now so prevalent in modern society they are considered normal.

FluffyBunny

View user profile

Back to top Go down