Japanese plant experts produce 10,000 lettuce heads a day in LED-lit indoor farm

Go down

Japanese plant experts produce 10,000 lettuce heads a day in LED-lit indoor farm Empty Japanese plant experts produce 10,000 lettuce heads a day in LED-lit indoor farm

Post by Guest on Sat Jul 12, 2014 6:29 pm

Could this be the future of agriculture?

A physiologist has turned a former semiconductor factory into one of the world’s largest indoor farm, cultivating lettuces with LED lights.

At almost half the size of a football pitch, the farm, which opened in Japan in July, is already churning out 10,000 lettuce heads a day, the brains behind it say.

Plant physiologist Shigeharu Shimamura wanted to explore ways that man could keep up with the ever-increasing food demand while bypassing the risks brought on by drought, crop disease and natural disasters.

“I knew how to grow good vegetables biologically and I wanted to integrate that knowledge with hardware to make things happen,” Mr Shimamura said.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/science/japanese-plant-experts-produce-10000-lettuces-a-day-in-ledlit-indoor-farm-9601844.html

Back to top Go down

Japanese plant experts produce 10,000 lettuce heads a day in LED-lit indoor farm Empty Re: Japanese plant experts produce 10,000 lettuce heads a day in LED-lit indoor farm

Post by Ben Reilly on Sat Jul 12, 2014 6:47 pm

The upside? Amazing how much food is being produced. The downside? It's lettuce ...

- Willie Nelson
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly
Cowboy King. Dread Pirate of the Guadalupe. God of Thunder.

http://www.newsfixboard.com

Back to top Go down

Japanese plant experts produce 10,000 lettuce heads a day in LED-lit indoor farm Empty Re: Japanese plant experts produce 10,000 lettuce heads a day in LED-lit indoor farm

Post by Guest on Sat Jul 12, 2014 6:48 pm

I'd like to know if they have tested them for nutritional value.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Sat Jul 12, 2014 6:50 pm

Ben_Reilly wrote:The upside? Amazing how much food is being produced. The downside? It's lettuce ...

Well, add some burger buns, a whopping burger in the middle, with some sauce, cheese, onions and Gherkins.

::D:: 

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum