I read Noddy to my son, am I a racist?

Go down

I read Noddy to my son, am I a racist? Empty I read Noddy to my son, am I a racist?

Post by eddie on Mon Jun 30, 2014 11:51 am

This is he post Philagain wrote about me, forget all the drink-related ramblings around the edges (it was made at four in the morning), the part I'm interested in is the middle section regarding "Golliwogs"
He is referring to the fact I said I'd read Noddy books to my son and saw nothing wrong with them.
So am I a racist for thinking Noddy is just a children's book and enjoying the stories?

=================Philagain wrote:
You breed....You are very ugly....Your kids are going to be the same way as you.

This hate thread is allowed to continue.

You have admitted on another thread, that you read golliwog stories to your kids.....That is very hateful.

I hope that you send your klds to a good a school that would combat your nasty racism....Better still, they should be taken away from you, you dog ugly RW racist bigot.

======================================================

Please discuss.

Living free
- Morcheeba
eddie
eddie
King of Beards. Keeper of the Whip. Top Chef. BEES!!!!!! Mushroom muncher. Spider aficionado!

View user profile

Back to top Go down

I read Noddy to my son, am I a racist? Empty Re: I read Noddy to my son, am I a racist?

Post by Raggamuffin on Mon Jun 30, 2014 11:57 am

Well obviously, yes. I have some Noddy shower gel.  Embarassed 

"I could be wrong now, but I don't think so!
Raggamuffin
Raggamuffin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

I read Noddy to my son, am I a racist? Empty Re: I read Noddy to my son, am I a racist?

Post by Guest on Mon Jun 30, 2014 12:03 pm

::smthg:: 

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie on Mon Jun 30, 2014 12:06 pm

Joy Division wrote:::smthg:: 

I know. Strange little man, isn't he?
And I'm not talking about Noddy.

Living free
- Morcheeba
eddie
eddie
King of Beards. Keeper of the Whip. Top Chef. BEES!!!!!! Mushroom muncher. Spider aficionado!

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Mon Jun 30, 2014 12:17 pm

Now we know who Andy Pandy, I mean Handy Andy, reported Flap to:

I read Noddy to my son, am I a racist? Plod10

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Mon Jun 30, 2014 12:28 pm

Tesstacious wrote:Now we know who Andy Pandy, I mean Handy Andy, reported Flap to:

I read Noddy to my son, am I a racist? Plod10

cheers 

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Mon Jun 30, 2014 1:13 pm

eddie wrote:This is he post Philagain wrote about me, forget all the drink-related ramblings around the edges (it was made at four in the morning), the part I'm interested in is the middle section regarding "Golliwogs"
He is referring to the fact I said I'd read Noddy books to my son and saw nothing wrong with them.
So am I a racist for thinking Noddy is just a children's book and enjoying the stories?

You breed....You are very ugly....Your kids are going to be the same way as you.

You have admitted on another thread, that you read golliwog stories to your kids.....That is very hateful.

I hope that you send your klds to a good a school that would combat your nasty racism....Better still, they should be taken away from you, you dog ugly RW racist bigot.

Please discuss.

I see he is bringing into this your children into this again, which proves what a pathetic low life he is.

As I stated yesterday, there is nothing wrong with reading the books, however I would also point out when a child is mature enough to understand that the Golliwog was created as a poor derogative stereotype representation of black people. I mean imagine your horror when called to school if your child had starting calling black children golliwogs? The same way we would teach a child about any poor stereotype made about women, homosexuals etc.

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggamuffin on Mon Jun 30, 2014 1:18 pm

I didn't equate golliwogs with black people when I was a kid. Actually, I didn't really encounter golliwogs very much. I had some dolls made of wool in a variety of colours though.

Come to think of it, I didn't read Noddy books either.  Laughing 

"I could be wrong now, but I don't think so!
Raggamuffin
Raggamuffin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Mon Jun 30, 2014 1:18 pm

eddie wrote:This is he post Philagain wrote about me, forget all the drink-related ramblings around the edges (it was made at four in the morning), the part I'm interested in is the middle section regarding "Golliwogs"

Please discuss.

Thankfully Philagain and his partner are of the type that cannot breed children , but they do Breed hatred.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Mon Jun 30, 2014 1:22 pm

Raggamuffin wrote:I didn't equate golliwogs with black people when I was a kid. Actually, I didn't really encounter golliwogs very much. I had some dolls made of wool in a variety of colours though.

Come to think of it, I didn't read Noddy books either.  Laughing 

The point is though they were designed in a poor racial stereotype of black people, in a time when people do look more badly upon black people, thankfully times have changed, but to me reading such books it is important to point out these things, as stated the last thing you want is for a child to think it is okay then to call a black kid a Golliwog!

Back to top Go down

Post by Eilzel on Mon Jun 30, 2014 1:50 pm

What a tool. No Eds as always no idea what he is on about Sad

"The beginning of wisdom is the definition of terms" Socrates
Eilzel
Eilzel
Speaker of the House

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie on Mon Jun 30, 2014 2:06 pm

As Raggs has said, I didn't equate golliwogs with black people either when I was a child, but then, I never saw anything wrong with Baa Baa Black Sheep either!

So I assume then, what I'm not classed as a racist just because I innocently read Noddy books to my son?
And actually, come to think of it, I cannot recall seeing a Golliwog in any of the five Noddy books we had?

Living free
- Morcheeba
eddie
eddie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by nicko on Mon Jun 30, 2014 2:45 pm

I don't recall the Japanese complaining about "a nip in the air" or, the Chinese complaining about " a chink in the curtain" there could be others?
nicko
nicko

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie on Mon Jun 30, 2014 2:49 pm

nicko wrote:I don't recall the Japanese complaining about  "a nip in the air" or,  the Chinese complaining about " a chink in the curtain" there could be others?

Tbh Nicko I'm not even sure that it was black people that complained about the word "blackboard" or the song about a black sheep.
All I know, is that as a classroom assistant and when I ran a pre-school singing and action club, we weren't allowed to sing Baa Baa Black Sheep.
But we did anyway. No complaints either, from parents of any colour!

Living free
- Morcheeba
eddie
eddie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Cass on Mon Jun 30, 2014 4:04 pm

just the fact that you read to your kids should be applauded. nothing wrong with noddy but we were more Postman Pat people in our house....I think pat had the hits for Mrs. Goggins.

I never did like Enid Blyton for some reasons - and lashings of ginger beer! oh pulease

the Nerd Queen of Nerds, the Lover of Books who Cooks

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Cass on Mon Jun 30, 2014 4:06 pm

just the fact that you read to your kids should be applauded. nothing wrong with noddy but we were more Postman Pat people in our house....I think pat had the hits for Mrs. Goggins.

I never did like Enid Blyton for some reasons - and lashings of ginger beer! oh pulease

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Original Quill on Mon Jun 30, 2014 4:50 pm

Never heard of Noddy and the galliwogs. I assume children books?

"I don't stand by anything."  ― Donald Trump, interview with John Dickerson, 5.1.17...

Normal is broken.

“That's libertarians for you — anarchists who want police protection from their slaves.” ― Kim Stanley Robinson, Green Mars
Original Quill
Original Quill

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie on Mon Jun 30, 2014 5:10 pm

Original Quill wrote:Never heard of Noddy and the galliwogs. I assume children books?

I have Never once seen a Golliwog in any of the books I read to my son.
Perhaps they were later additions and were taken out?

Who knows?

Living free
- Morcheeba
eddie
eddie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Mon Jun 30, 2014 8:13 pm

Cass wrote:just the fact that you read to your kids should be applauded. nothing wrong with noddy but we were more Postman Pat people in our house....I think pat had the hits for Mrs. Goggins.

Did you like the Comic Strip version!?

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Mon Jun 30, 2014 8:27 pm

Cass wrote:just the fact that you read to your kids should be applauded. nothing wrong with noddy but we were more Postman Pat people in our house....I think pat had the hits for Mrs. Goggins.

I'm with you on that, didn't mind The Famous Five but preferred Swallows and Amazons.

Back to top Go down

Post by Irn Bru on Mon Jun 30, 2014 8:53 pm

I remember Robertson's Jam when I was a bairn and thought nothing of it at the time. The age of innocence.

https://aipetcher.wordpress.com/tag/robertsons-jam/

Friedrich Hayek

In other words a bunch of cap-doffers and forelock tuggers.
Irn Bru
Irn Bru
The Tartan terror. Keeper of the royal sporran. Chief Haggis Hunter

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Mon Jun 30, 2014 9:03 pm

Re: Outrage As Notorious WHITE Member of UK Pedophile Gang Back On The Streets

Post by eddie Yesterday at 22:46

victorisnotamused wrote:NODDY was removed from the shelves bcause the golliwogs were baddies and kinapped noddy and bigears...

so Enid Blyton was thenceforth a raving racist....

See that's where I hate this PC bollocks!
Ridiculous

I'd still,read this to my children .

eddie

View user profile Send private message

......You also don't think that SB is racist and homophobic, that's because you are a closet racist at the very least.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Mon Jun 30, 2014 9:13 pm

Philagain wrote:    Reply with quote

Re: Outrage As Notorious WHITE Member of UK Pedophile Gang Back On The Streets

Post by eddie Yesterday at 22:46

victorisnotamused wrote:NODDY was removed from the shelves bcause the golliwogs were baddies and kinapped noddy and bigears...

so Enid Blyton was thenceforth a raving racist....

See that's where I hate this PC bollocks!
Ridiculous

I'd still,read this to my children .

eddie

View user profile Send private message

......You also don't think that SB is racist and homophobic, that's because you are a closet racist at the very least.

Comparison of loons

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Mon Jun 30, 2014 9:14 pm

Eilzel wrote:What a tool. No Eds as always no idea what he is on about Sad

You are the tool with no kind of dress sense.  Laughing 

You know that dreddie said that she doesn't think that SB is racist and homophobic, you pulled her up over it.

You didn't say anything because she's part of your yawn clique.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Mon Jun 30, 2014 9:18 pm

Whats a lawn clique?

Back to top Go down

Post by veya_victaous on Mon Jun 30, 2014 11:01 pm

this is one of those thing where it sucks that they stop Aussies saying golliwog (they got rid of the Biscuits)
I read Noddy to my son, am I a racist? 355493_large

The People most associated with the Golliwog tag around here are the Papu New Guinea natives that also go by the name 'fuzzy wuzzy angels' so not exactly a negative stereotype helping our soldiers in WW2 the fight against the Japanese.
I read Noddy to my son, am I a racist? 250px-Buna
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fuzzy_Wuzzy_Angels

We don't know the Questions... does that means we cannot seek the Answers?
veya_victaous
veya_victaous
The Mod Loki, Minister of Chaos & Candy, Emperor of the Southern Realms, Captain Kangaroo

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Tue Jul 01, 2014 12:18 am

Nems wrote:Whats a lawn clique?

PNG Veya eh!

Probably one of the most undiscovered and interesting counties in the world!!

Ive always wanted to go there, but danger apparently lurks everywhere there...more so for foreigners.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Tue Jul 01, 2014 12:22 am

People should watch some of the cartoons within and see how badly black people were stereotyped.

Back to top Go down

Post by veya_victaous on Tue Jul 01, 2014 12:41 am

Joy Division wrote:
Nems wrote:Whats a lawn clique?

PNG Veya eh!

Probably one of the most undiscovered and interesting counties in the world!!

Ive always wanted to go there, but danger apparently lurks everywhere there...more so for foreigners.

It's not so undiscovered to Aussies it is our closet geographic neighbour, the interior is less 'civilised' (for lack a better term) and may still have head hunters but the coasts have contact/trade with outside world and stuff.

along the Kokoda track things are also 'civilised' and is popular with Aussies as it was a big part of the our ww2 campaign
http://www.kokodatrail.com.au/
And they now employ the grandchildren of the Fuzzy Wuzzy Angels as guides
http://www.kokodatrail.com.au/fuzzywuzzyangel.html

Fuzzy Wuzzy Angels

Many a mother in Australia when the busy day is done
Sends a prayer to the Almighty for the keeping of her son
Asking that an angel guide him and bring him safely back
Now we see those prayers are answered on the Owen Stanley Track.

For they haven't any halos only holes slashed in their ears
And their faces worked by tattoos with scratch pins in their hair
Bringing back the badly wounded just as steady as a horse
Using leaves to keep the rain off and as gentle as a nurse

Slow and careful in the bad places on the awful mountain track
They look upon their faces would make you think Christ was black
Not a move to hurt the wounded as they treat him like a saint
It's a picture worth recording that an artist's yet to paint

Many a lad will see his mother and husbands see their wives
Just because the fuzzy wuzzy carried them to save their lives
From mortar bombs and machine gun fire or chance surprise attacks
To the safety and the care of doctors at the bottom of the track

May the mothers of Australia when they offer up a prayer
Mention those impromptu angels with their fuzzy wuzzy hair.

- Bert Beros

We don't know the Questions... does that means we cannot seek the Answers?
veya_victaous
veya_victaous
The Mod Loki, Minister of Chaos & Candy, Emperor of the Southern Realms, Captain Kangaroo

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Cass on Tue Jul 01, 2014 3:49 am

Nems wrote:

that vaguely reminds me of something.....hmmm google time Smile

^sassy - quite! I admit I was an reader of adult books way before my actual age.....I read gone with the wind at 12!!! 13 was Winds of War and Shogun Smile......all thanks to mini Tv series and the movie.

I just wish I had married a reader....he doesn't get that I actually feel a physical withdrawal if I don't read ever day!

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Tue Jul 01, 2014 2:28 pm

Cass wrote:
Nems wrote:

^sassy - quite! I admit I was an reader of adult books way before my actual age.....I read gone with the wind at 12!!! 13 was Winds of War and Shogun Smile......all thanks to mini Tv series and the movie.

I just wish I had married a reader....he doesn't get that I actually feel a physical withdrawal if I don't read ever day!

I was like you, started out with Wind in the Willows, Robert Louis Stevenson's A Child's Garden of Verses, Bambi (not the film, mush) and then grew to love Dickens. Although I also had a great fondness for the 'What Katy Did' series and Little Women, Jo's Boys etc. I've said before, I can hear the collective sigh, The Ragged Trousered Philanthropists changed by life at about 14/15. I'll never stop reading and my local library goes 'not you again' when I go in! Luckily OH is a reader as well, the shelves are groaning again and we are going to have to take some to my charity shop and I hate giving them up!

Back to top Go down

Post by Cass on Tue Jul 01, 2014 3:48 pm

Sassy wrote:
Cass wrote:

I was like you, started out with Wind in the Willows, Robert Louis Stevenson's A Child's Garden of Verses, Bambi (not the film, mush) and then grew to love Dickens. Although I also had a great fondness for the 'What Katy Did' series and Little Women, Jo's Boys etc. I've said before, I can hear the collective sigh, The Ragged Trousered Philanthropists changed by life at about 14/15. I'll never stop reading and my local library goes 'not you again' when I go in! Luckily OH is a reader as well, the shelves are groaning again and we are going to have to take some to my charity shop and I hate giving them up!

I cant give them away - even if I haven't read them in years I just cant. going back to postman pat we still have the 6 mini board book set that we would have to read senior junior every night.....sometimes twice! he got them for his 1st birthday so they are 22 years old......I can still quote by heart "today is granny's birthday, she's waiting by the gate, when pat arrives with parcels, at exactly half past eight."

just finished a fabulous biography of Edith Roosevelt Longworth - teddy's daughter - she was the IT girl of her day.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Tue Jul 01, 2014 8:26 pm

Cass wrote:
Sassy wrote:

I was like you, started out with Wind in the Willows, Robert Louis Stevenson's A Child's Garden of Verses, Bambi (not the film, mush) and then grew to love Dickens.   Although I also had a great fondness for the 'What Katy Did' series and Little Women, Jo's Boys etc.   I've said before, I can hear the collective sigh, The Ragged Trousered Philanthropists changed by life at about 14/15.   I'll never stop reading and my local library goes 'not you again' when I go in!    Luckily OH is a reader as well, the shelves are groaning again and we are going to have to take some to my charity shop and I hate giving them up!

I cant give them away - even if I haven't read them in years I just cant. going back to postman pat we still have the 6 mini board book set that we would have to read senior junior every night.....sometimes twice! he got them for his 1st birthday so they are 22 years old......I can still quote by heart "today is granny's birthday, she's waiting by the gate, when pat arrives with parcels, at exactly half past eight."

just finished a fabulous biography of Edith Roosevelt Longworth - teddy's daughter - she was the IT girl of her day.

It's an old book, but have you read 'Consider These Women' by Hebe Elsna, about the women in the life of Charles Dickens. I found it facinating and it's one of the books I definitely will never get rid off.

Back to top Go down

Post by Cass on Tue Jul 01, 2014 9:33 pm

^no but its on my list - thanks!

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Tue Jul 01, 2014 9:41 pm

Cass wrote:^no but its on my list - thanks!

It's done as a novel, but I loved it.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Tue Jul 01, 2014 10:06 pm

I cant C&P thepage but heres a link

http://enidblytonsociety.co.uk/book-details.php?id=334&title=Here+Comes+Noddy+Again

PC turned the golliwogs into.....goblins  ://?roflmao?/:

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Tue Jul 01, 2014 10:08 pm

Tintin and the savages.

Sorry, African tribesmen  Smile 

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Tue Jul 01, 2014 10:09 pm

Can't say as I care, Enid Blyton was a very strange woman.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Tue Jul 01, 2014 10:14 pm

well you CLEARLY dont realise how subversive and pervasive PC is

You DO realise dont you why Jeremy the sugar puff bear was made redundant and replaced with the honey monster???

consider this...That changeover occured at the same point in time that it was revealed that Jeremy Thorpe was also a "sugar puff bear"....

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Tue Jul 01, 2014 10:16 pm

actually...I dont think nestle could have withstood the jokes......

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Tue Jul 01, 2014 10:23 pm

I don't care about Enid Blyton books Victor, because I don't happen to think they are very good. Now, I do care about the fact they have messed about with Huckleberry Finn, one of my favourites, because they have changed the story, and Jim was one of the most important characters, and right for the time. And that to me is the difference, Jim was right for the time and taught us something about how negroes were treated. I can remember 'gollies' on jam jars and thought, even as a child, that there was something odd about them, maybe because I grew up, for some of the time, abroad. They have no relevance today and a goblin is simply something that children associate with a being that is nasty, so in fact, has more relevance today.

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum