Woman Gets Photoshopped to Display Different Countries' Standard of Beauty

Go down

Woman Gets Photoshopped to Display Different Countries' Standard of Beauty Empty Woman Gets Photoshopped to Display Different Countries' Standard of Beauty

Post by Ben Reilly on Sat Jun 28, 2014 6:58 am

In the U.S. Photoshop has become a symbol of our society's unobtainable standards for beauty. My project, Before & After, examines how these standards vary across cultures on a global level.

Freelancing platforms, like Fiverr, have allowed me to contract nearly 40 individuals, from more than 25 countries such as Sri Lanka, Ukraine, The Philippines, and Kenya. Some are experts in their field, others are purely amateur.

With a cost ranging from five to thirty dollars, and the hope that each designer will pull from their personal and cultural constructs of beauty to enhance my unaltered image, all I request is that they ‘make me beautiful’.

Below is a selection from the resulting images thus far. They are intriguing and insightful in their own right; each one is a reflection of both the personal and cultural concepts of beauty that pertain to their creator.

U.S.:

Woman Gets Photoshopped to Display Different Countries' Standard of Beauty 785952142113321764

UK:

Woman Gets Photoshopped to Display Different Countries' Standard of Beauty Uk_zps42bad6c0

Morocco:

Woman Gets Photoshopped to Display Different Countries' Standard of Beauty 785963105818963600

Argentina:

Woman Gets Photoshopped to Display Different Countries' Standard of Beauty 785952142218446372

Pakistan:

Woman Gets Photoshopped to Display Different Countries' Standard of Beauty 785963106224186768

http://sploid.gizmodo.com/woman-photoshopped-to-fit-25-different-countries-defini-1596826608

_________________
Happiness is when what you think, what you say and what you do are in harmony.

-Ghandi
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly
Cowboy King. Dread Pirate of the Guadalupe. Enemy of the American people.

Posts : 26411
Join date : 2013-01-19
Age : 44
Location : Tesco's

View user profile http://www.newsfixboard.com

Back to top Go down

Woman Gets Photoshopped to Display Different Countries' Standard of Beauty Empty Re: Woman Gets Photoshopped to Display Different Countries' Standard of Beauty

Post by eddie on Sat Jun 28, 2014 8:03 am

Wow shows how some countries really prefer the heavier make-up!

Interestingly, only the Phillipines liked the hair down?

_________________
I left my soul there
Down by the sea
I lost control here
Living free
- Morcheeba
eddie
eddie
King of Beards. Keeper of the Whip. Top Chef. BEES!!!!!! Mushroom muncher. Spider aficionado!

Posts : 38252
Join date : 2013-07-28
Age : 49
Location : England

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Woman Gets Photoshopped to Display Different Countries' Standard of Beauty Empty Re: Woman Gets Photoshopped to Display Different Countries' Standard of Beauty

Post by Ben Reilly on Sat Jun 28, 2014 8:16 am

U.S. too, though we apparently prefer all of it over the left shoulder  ::D:: 

_________________
Happiness is when what you think, what you say and what you do are in harmony.

-Ghandi
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly
Cowboy King. Dread Pirate of the Guadalupe. Enemy of the American people.

Posts : 26411
Join date : 2013-01-19
Age : 44
Location : Tesco's

View user profile http://www.newsfixboard.com

Back to top Go down

Woman Gets Photoshopped to Display Different Countries' Standard of Beauty Empty Re: Woman Gets Photoshopped to Display Different Countries' Standard of Beauty

Post by Ben Reilly on Sat Jun 28, 2014 8:17 am

Oh, also in the U.S. one you can see her face is notably thinner. Interesting in a nation overrun by obesity!

_________________
Happiness is when what you think, what you say and what you do are in harmony.

-Ghandi
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly
Cowboy King. Dread Pirate of the Guadalupe. Enemy of the American people.

Posts : 26411
Join date : 2013-01-19
Age : 44
Location : Tesco's

View user profile http://www.newsfixboard.com

Back to top Go down

Woman Gets Photoshopped to Display Different Countries' Standard of Beauty Empty Re: Woman Gets Photoshopped to Display Different Countries' Standard of Beauty

Post by eddie on Sat Jun 28, 2014 8:21 am

Ben_Reilly wrote:Oh, also in the U.S. one you can see her face is notably thinner. Interesting in a nation overrun by obesity!

Yeah I noticed that, freakishly thin! And the hair over one shoulder? Perhaps all American women suffer from the left shoulder being fatter than the right?  :\\:[: 

_________________
I left my soul there
Down by the sea
I lost control here
Living free
- Morcheeba
eddie
eddie
King of Beards. Keeper of the Whip. Top Chef. BEES!!!!!! Mushroom muncher. Spider aficionado!

Posts : 38252
Join date : 2013-07-28
Age : 49
Location : England

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Woman Gets Photoshopped to Display Different Countries' Standard of Beauty Empty Re: Woman Gets Photoshopped to Display Different Countries' Standard of Beauty

Post by Ben Reilly on Sat Jun 28, 2014 8:25 am

eddie wrote:
Ben_Reilly wrote:Oh, also in the U.S. one you can see her face is notably thinner. Interesting in a nation overrun by obesity!

Yeah I noticed that, freakishly thin! And the hair over one shoulder? Perhaps all American women suffer from the left shoulder being fatter than the right?   :\\:[: 

They do, it's weird Smile

Though on second look, I'm wondering whether the mass of hair on her left shoulder merely makes her face look thinner, or if they really did Photoshop it to be thinner? It could be one of those optical illusions where something only looks to have changed sizes because of a change in perspective, kind of like how the moon on the horizon looks bigger than it does overhead.

_________________
Happiness is when what you think, what you say and what you do are in harmony.

-Ghandi
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly
Cowboy King. Dread Pirate of the Guadalupe. Enemy of the American people.

Posts : 26411
Join date : 2013-01-19
Age : 44
Location : Tesco's

View user profile http://www.newsfixboard.com

Back to top Go down

Woman Gets Photoshopped to Display Different Countries' Standard of Beauty Empty Re: Woman Gets Photoshopped to Display Different Countries' Standard of Beauty

Post by Ben Reilly on Sat Jun 28, 2014 8:29 am

Interesting side note -- here is American (of Japanese descent) YouTube personality Anna Akana before and after her on-camera make-up:

Woman Gets Photoshopped to Display Different Countries' Standard of Beauty Sddefault2337

Witchcraft!!!!

_________________
Happiness is when what you think, what you say and what you do are in harmony.

-Ghandi
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly
Cowboy King. Dread Pirate of the Guadalupe. Enemy of the American people.

Posts : 26411
Join date : 2013-01-19
Age : 44
Location : Tesco's

View user profile http://www.newsfixboard.com

Back to top Go down

Woman Gets Photoshopped to Display Different Countries' Standard of Beauty Empty Re: Woman Gets Photoshopped to Display Different Countries' Standard of Beauty

Post by Guest on Sat Jun 28, 2014 9:33 am

Well i looked at the link and all off the women and honestly there all pretty ok except the two ones that look way too cartoony

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Woman Gets Photoshopped to Display Different Countries' Standard of Beauty Empty Re: Woman Gets Photoshopped to Display Different Countries' Standard of Beauty

Post by Guest on Sat Jun 28, 2014 9:33 am

Ze German von is definitely the best.

They do like em whiter than white over there!

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Woman Gets Photoshopped to Display Different Countries' Standard of Beauty Empty Re: Woman Gets Photoshopped to Display Different Countries' Standard of Beauty

Post by Guest on Sat Jun 28, 2014 11:35 am

they like the slug eyebrow look in Pakistan it seems

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Woman Gets Photoshopped to Display Different Countries' Standard of Beauty Empty Re: Woman Gets Photoshopped to Display Different Countries' Standard of Beauty

Post by Guest on Sat Jun 28, 2014 1:37 pm

Less is more I think Woman Gets Photoshopped to Display Different Countries' Standard of Beauty Thumbs14

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Woman Gets Photoshopped to Display Different Countries' Standard of Beauty Empty Re: Woman Gets Photoshopped to Display Different Countries' Standard of Beauty

Post by Guest on Sat Jun 28, 2014 2:33 pm

Well in all of them I thought the original looked far more beautiful, with a face that showed character and personality.

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Woman Gets Photoshopped to Display Different Countries' Standard of Beauty Empty Re: Woman Gets Photoshopped to Display Different Countries' Standard of Beauty

Post by Guest on Sat Jun 28, 2014 7:09 pm

Ben_Reilly wrote:
In the U.S. Photoshop has become a symbol of our society's unobtainable standards for beauty. My project, Before & After, examines how these standards vary across cultures on a global level.

Freelancing platforms, like Fiverr, have allowed me to contract nearly 40 individuals, from more than 25 countries such as Sri Lanka, Ukraine, The Philippines, and Kenya. Some are experts in their field, others are purely amateur.

With a cost ranging from five to thirty dollars, and the hope that each designer will pull from their personal and cultural constructs of beauty to enhance my unaltered image, all I request is that they ‘make me beautiful’.

Below is a selection from the resulting images thus far. They are intriguing and insightful in their own right; each one is a reflection of both the personal and cultural concepts of beauty that pertain to their creator.

U.S.:

Woman Gets Photoshopped to Display Different Countries' Standard of Beauty 785952142113321764

UK:

Woman Gets Photoshopped to Display Different Countries' Standard of Beauty Uk_zps42bad6c0

Morocco:

Woman Gets Photoshopped to Display Different Countries' Standard of Beauty 785963105818963600

Argentina:

Woman Gets Photoshopped to Display Different Countries' Standard of Beauty 785952142218446372

Pakistan:

Woman Gets Photoshopped to Display Different Countries' Standard of Beauty 785963106224186768

http://sploid.gizmodo.com/woman-photoshopped-to-fit-25-different-countries-defini-1596826608

There are parts of Jamaica where women are so determined to put on weight that they take chicken pills.

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Back to top


 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum