Teens From Frozen Lands get hotted up over bra straps?

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Teens From Frozen Lands get hotted up over bra straps? - Page 2 Empty Teens From Frozen Lands get hotted up over bra straps?

Post by veya_victaous on Tue Jun 03, 2014 4:48 am

First topic message reminder :

http://thinkprogress.org/health/2014/06/02/3443919/teen-girls-dress-code-bra-straps/

As temperatures heat up, teenage girls across Canada are being kicked out of school for their summer attire. Between 20 and 30 girls in the Newfoundland and Labrador province were sent home at the end of last week for wearing sleeveless shirts that exposed their bra straps — leading some of them to complain that administrators are unfairly targeting girls who just want to dress comfortably.

Menihek High School sent home a group of female students last week for wearing spaghetti strap shirts, saying that violates the institution’s dress code. Although a few male students were also asked to leave for wearing sleeveless shirts, the school district allegedly approached the issue slightly differently with female students because they’re specifically worried about girls’ bare skin becoming a distraction.

Emily Connors, one of the students who was sent home, told CBC News that the girls who were asked to leave were told it was “because of our bra straps, and that it was inappropriate because some of the male teachers, and male students found it distracting for them.” Other students told the National Post that the school has been explicit about the fact that their bare shoulders could “invite unneeded attention” from male students because “boys will be boys.”

“We were actually given a presentation at the beginning of every school year, and they were telling us, ‘Well, you can’t wear certain types of shirts because they’re afraid that male students will take it the wrong way,’” recounted 12th grader Danielle Matias, who wasn’t asked to go home last week but who is still opposed to the school’s dress code.

Some parents are frustrated with Menihek High School as well. Emily’s father, Gary Connors, said that the school’s reasoning is “outrageous” and “as far as I’m concerned, what a woman wears doesn’t give a guy a right to do anything to them [or] say anything to them.”

The female students say they weren’t trying to violate the dress code, but they wanted to dress appropriately for the Canadian province’s unseasonably warm weather. Temperatures reached nearly 70 degrees last week, which is “a virtual heat wave in the harsh subarctic city,” according to the National Post.

This has been an recurring issue in Canada this spring. Over the past month, several teen girls across different provinces have been sent home from school for wearing shorts and sleeveless shirts. Now, some of them are fighting back against what they perceive as sexist dress codes. Last week, a 14-year-old in Ottawa wore a spaghetti strap shirt specifically to protest her school’s policy. And a 15-year-old in Quebec recently started hanging up signs around her high school telling school administrators, “It’s hot outside. Instead of shaming girls for their bodies, teach boys that girls are not sexual objects.”

Dress code issues certainly aren’t specific to our neighbor to the north. Here in the United States, schools across the country work to police girls’ necklines and hemlines so they aren’t a “distraction” to their male peers. Girls have been kicked out of prom for wearing short skirts, banned from wearing leggings to class, and even photoshopped to appear as though they’re showing less skin in their yearbook photos. There’s a common thread running throughout these examples: The assumption that it’s young women’s responsibility to cover up their bodies because men just can’t help themselves. Dress code critics point out that’s the same cultural attitude that contributes to rape culture and the normalization of violence against women.

_________________
My job is to travel the world delivering Chaos and Candy.

We don't know the Questions... does that means we cannot seek the Answers?
veya_victaous
veya_victaous
The Mod Loki, Minister of Chaos & Candy, Emperor of the Southern Realms, Captain Kangaroo

Posts : 19095
Join date : 2013-01-23
Age : 36
Location : Australia

View user profile

Back to top Go down


Teens From Frozen Lands get hotted up over bra straps? - Page 2 Empty Re: Teens From Frozen Lands get hotted up over bra straps?

Post by Original Quill on Sat Jun 14, 2014 5:52 pm

lovedust wrote:
Original Quill wrote:

Admittedly, the aim is to formalise dress in both cases.  But the rationale in my case was not built on the premise that the opposite sex would be aroused without the restrictions.

In response to your second point...again, it was not alleged that boys in sleeveless shirts improperly aroused young girls.  So it was just a matter of decorum.

The point I believe you are missing is that it is unfair to blame one gender for the response in another gender.  It's reminiscent of the argument that a woman invites rape by the clothes she wears.  Blaming the victim is not a real solution for the problem.

It's fair to require pupils to dress formally in a formal setting, such as a school.

Showing one's underwear is an informal way to dress; it's quite reasonable for an educational estabishment to prohibit this IMHO.

I think you are right in that dress codes not premised upon sexual responses is fair. When it comes to underwear, there is a question of whether it is provocative or merely distasteful. But in this case, the school district made it clear that male teachers and students were "distracted" by the bra straps.

So the rule was not premised merely on distaste to all people, but upon the sexual responses of the opposite sex. That is impermissible sexism in the eyes of the law.

_________________
“Little thieves are hanged, but great thieves are praised.” — Old Russian proverb, offered by Vladimir Putin to Donald J. Trump, Helsinki, July, 2018.

"I don't stand by anything."  ― Donald Trump, interview with John Dickerson, 5.1.17...

Normal is broken.

“That's libertarians for you — anarchists who want police protection from their slaves.” ― Kim Stanley Robinson, Green Mars
Original Quill
Original Quill

Posts : 28371
Join date : 2013-12-19
Age : 54
Location : Northern California

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Teens From Frozen Lands get hotted up over bra straps? - Page 2 Empty Re: Teens From Frozen Lands get hotted up over bra straps?

Post by Guest on Sat Jun 14, 2014 9:15 pm


I think the accusation of distracting was quite possibly inappropriate. The emphasis should ultimately have been the equal application of the policy in a gender neutral way. But at the end of the day, it is a reasonable thing to ask of either sex.

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Teens From Frozen Lands get hotted up over bra straps? - Page 2 Empty Re: Teens From Frozen Lands get hotted up over bra straps?

Post by Original Quill on Sun Jun 15, 2014 5:06 am

I do believe that the distraction allegation was accurate. Just that it is not a justification for the dress action. Why should the girls have to anticipate the responses of men and boys.

The proper response would have been to tell the males to control their reactions. To tell the girls that they were responsible for the response in men was sexism at its core.

_________________
“Little thieves are hanged, but great thieves are praised.” — Old Russian proverb, offered by Vladimir Putin to Donald J. Trump, Helsinki, July, 2018.

"I don't stand by anything."  ― Donald Trump, interview with John Dickerson, 5.1.17...

Normal is broken.

“That's libertarians for you — anarchists who want police protection from their slaves.” ― Kim Stanley Robinson, Green Mars
Original Quill
Original Quill

Posts : 28371
Join date : 2013-12-19
Age : 54
Location : Northern California

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Teens From Frozen Lands get hotted up over bra straps? - Page 2 Empty Re: Teens From Frozen Lands get hotted up over bra straps?

Post by Ben Reilly on Sun Jun 15, 2014 8:23 am

Original Quill wrote:I do believe that the distraction allegation was accurate.  Just that it is not a justification for the dress action.  Why should the girls have to anticipate the responses of men and boys.

The proper response would have been to tell the males to control their reactions.  To tell the girls that they were responsible for the response in men was sexism at its core.

Indeed, that way lies the burqa ...

_________________
Happiness is when what you think, what you say and what you do are in harmony.

-Ghandi
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly
Cowboy King. Dread Pirate of the Guadalupe. Enemy of the American people.

Posts : 26386
Join date : 2013-01-19
Age : 44
Location : Tesco's

View user profile http://www.newsfixboard.com

Back to top Go down

The author of this message was banned from the forum - See the message

Teens From Frozen Lands get hotted up over bra straps? - Page 2 Empty Re: Teens From Frozen Lands get hotted up over bra straps?

Post by Guest on Sun Jun 15, 2014 2:28 pm

Lone Wolf wrote:
lovedust wrote:
I think the accusation of distracting was quite possibly inappropriate. The emphasis should ultimately have been the equal application of the policy in a gender neutral way. But at the end of the day, it is a reasonable thing to ask of either sex.

 lol! 

THE accusation by a handful of fuddy duddy wowsers on a school board ???

WHAT a load of bullshite on the part of those wowsers..

DID anyone survey the male students and teachers ? I'm willing to bet not..

IN THIS day and age, the great majority of memfolk are above such fripperies !!!



OVER here, overall dress standards for state schools are set by the state education boards, with school councils/P&Cs able to 'fine tune' within those parameters..

PRIVATE and church schools have their school boards/councils to define their own standards; which then tend to be more conservative, again. ::attn:: 

Fair point - the reasoning offered was demeaning to the students. But saying women's rights are being suppressed by not being allowed to bear underwear in a place of work? Please.

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

The author of this message was banned from the forum - See the message

Teens From Frozen Lands get hotted up over bra straps? - Page 2 Empty Re: Teens From Frozen Lands get hotted up over bra straps?

Post by Original Quill on Sun Jun 15, 2014 5:57 pm

Different framing, but good points Bee. The "official" reasoning that we need a dress code because all men are rapists, and all women are modest waifs is insulting to both. Not all young teachers and students are such letches; nor are the young women so helpless and virginal. To assume so is to insult both sides of the gender fence.

In this framing, it is the "officials" who are misguided. Or, to put it correctly, the old white men. Tories...damn their eyes.

_________________
“Little thieves are hanged, but great thieves are praised.” — Old Russian proverb, offered by Vladimir Putin to Donald J. Trump, Helsinki, July, 2018.

"I don't stand by anything."  ― Donald Trump, interview with John Dickerson, 5.1.17...

Normal is broken.

“That's libertarians for you — anarchists who want police protection from their slaves.” ― Kim Stanley Robinson, Green Mars
Original Quill
Original Quill

Posts : 28371
Join date : 2013-12-19
Age : 54
Location : Northern California

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Back to top


 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum