Touching Mirror Experiment Proves That 'You're Enough Just The Way You Are'

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Touching Mirror Experiment Proves That 'You're Enough Just The Way You Are' - Page 2 Empty Touching Mirror Experiment Proves That 'You're Enough Just The Way You Are'

Post by Guest on Sat May 24, 2014 4:40 pm

First topic message reminder :

[ltr]Mirrors are devious, lying fixtures that should never be trusted to give an honest opinion.[/ltr]
[ltr]That's the general takeaway from "What Do Strangers Think Of You?", a BuzzFeed video that set individuals in front of a mirror, then asked them to honestly describe themselves. At the same time, and unbeknownst to them, strangers in another room were asked to offer their opinions of the individual.[/ltr]
[ltr]As is often the case, the people judging themselves were their harshest critics. Even more surprising: What they described as a "flaw" either went unnoticed by the stranger, or was perceived as a strength.[/ltr]
[ltr]The video is reminiscent of the Dove's "Real Beauty Sketches" campaign, which used a similar tactic to promote the tagline, "You are more beautiful than you think."[/ltr]

[ltr]http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/05/23/mirror-self-image-beauty-video_n_5381732.html?utm_hp_ref=good-news[/ltr]

Back to top Go down

Touching Mirror Experiment Proves That 'You're Enough Just The Way You Are' - Page 2 Empty Re: Touching Mirror Experiment Proves That 'You're Enough Just The Way You Are'

Post by Raggamuffin on Sun May 25, 2014 11:10 am

Didge wrote:
Raggamuffin wrote:

I was not replying to you. Read my posts properly.

I did read your post where you are stating Fluffy decides women are not allowed to be themselves, hence why I do not stop you from having negative views, all I do is encourage you not to hold negative views, you yourself decide though, not me.

What? I said that Fluffy had decided that she wasn't allowed to be herself, not all women.

"There never was an Aaron, counselor".
Raggamuffin
Raggamuffin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Touching Mirror Experiment Proves That 'You're Enough Just The Way You Are' - Page 2 Empty Re: Touching Mirror Experiment Proves That 'You're Enough Just The Way You Are'

Post by Guest on Sun May 25, 2014 11:11 am

Raggamuffin wrote:
Didge wrote:

I did read your post where you are stating Fluffy decides women are not allowed to be themselves, hence why I do not stop you from having negative views, all I do is encourage you not to hold negative views, you yourself decide though, not me.

What? I said that Fluffy had decided that she wasn't allowed to be herself, not all women.

She can be herself but you are not helping that with such negative views all the time.

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggamuffin on Sun May 25, 2014 11:12 am

Anyway, people watching that video won't feel better about themselves because they'll just think that those people are nice looking or whatever - they won't apply it to themselves. I'm not sure that so many people are insecure about the way they look anyway - perhaps that is something that's exaggerated by the media too.

Raggamuffin
Raggamuffin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggamuffin on Sun May 25, 2014 11:13 am

Didge wrote:
Raggamuffin wrote:

She can be herself but you are not helping that with such negative views all the time.

I never said she couldn't - she implied that she couldn't. I asked her why.

Raggamuffin
Raggamuffin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by FluffyBunny on Sun May 25, 2014 11:14 am

Didge wrote:
Raggamuffin wrote:

So you think that anyone who puts their photo online has low self esteem?

Nope, I think some do, others are very comfortable with their looks and have no issue with placing their photo online, a good example of this is Eddie. I am showing about those who do have low self esteem

I can only speak for myself and before any of this started my self esteem was poor but at the same time I definatly had the attitude 'this is me,you can like it or lump it'.

Because the comments directed towards me were so hostile in their content and so persistent any sense of self I had crumbled. I could of handled normal insults but not being told I was the strangest person I had ever seen,I started to worry there was something terribly wrong with me.

But again,people with a normal healthy sense of self would not have believed that nonsense for a second so the blame does sit with me.

FluffyBunny

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Sun May 25, 2014 11:14 am

Raggamuffin wrote:Anyway, people watching that video won't feel better about themselves because they'll just think that those people are nice looking or whatever - they won't apply it to themselves. I'm not sure that so many people are insecure about the way they look anyway - perhaps that is something that's exaggerated by the media too.

People though did feel better about themselves, including more so the people actually involved, which is the point you miss. It shows that actually many people do have different levels of insecurities, based around perceptions of negativity given off by others. That is how such insecurities start.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Sun May 25, 2014 11:16 am

FluffyBunny wrote:
Didge wrote:

Nope, I think some do, others are very comfortable with their looks and have no issue with placing their photo online, a good example of this is Eddie. I am showing about those who do have low self esteem

I can only speak for myself and before any of this started my self esteem was poor but at the same time I definatly had the attitude 'this is me,you can like it or lump it'.

Because the comments directed towards me were so hostile in their content and so persistent any sense of self I had crumbled. I could of handled normal insults but not being told I was the strangest person I had ever  seen,I started to worry there was something terribly wrong with me.

But again,people with a normal healthy sense of self would not have believed that nonsense for a second so the blame does sit with me.

Fluffy I hold you taking the view to post your own picture as very positive and a positive start to tackling your own fears. It actually shows you are willing to take on negative perceptions that have plagued your life so far, that is very encouraging to me.

Every little step you take, has courage and should be as stated encouraged further.

Back to top Go down

Post by FluffyBunny on Sun May 25, 2014 11:18 am

Didge wrote:
Raggamuffin wrote:Anyway, people watching that video won't feel better about themselves because they'll just think that those people are nice looking or whatever - they won't apply it to themselves. I'm not sure that so many people are insecure about the way they look anyway - perhaps that is something that's exaggerated by the media too.

People though did feel better about themselves, including more so the people actually involved, which is the point you miss. It shows that actually many people do have different levels of insecurities, based around perceptions of negativity given off by others. That is how such insecurities start.

Everyone has insecurities and those who claim they have none are fibbing.The pressure by the media on women in particular is staggering and it is also creeping into young men's culture also.

I think those people in the video were very obviously relieved to hear a kind word,which shows how cruel people can be to themselves.

FluffyBunny

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggamuffin on Sun May 25, 2014 11:18 am

FluffyBunny wrote:
Didge wrote:

Because the comments directed towards me were so hostile in their content and so persistent any sense of self I had crumbled. I could of handled normal insults but not being told I was the strangest person I had ever  seen,I started to worry there was something terribly wrong with me.

So why did you put up photos and videos of yourself if you have low esteem? Such things have been said about others too.

Raggamuffin
Raggamuffin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Sun May 25, 2014 11:19 am

FluffyBunny wrote:
Didge wrote:

Everyone has insecurities and those who claim they have none are fibbing.The pressure by the media on women in particular is staggering and it is also creeping into young men's culture also.

I think those people in the video were very obviously relieved to hear a kind word,which shows how cruel people can be to themselves.

Indeed many people do have insecurities but on different levels, that is why positive views go a long way to combating negative ones.

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggamuffin on Sun May 25, 2014 11:20 am

Didge wrote:

I didn't miss that point at all. My point is - why do they need others to tell them they're attractive? People worry far too much about what others think of them, and I would like to know why.

Raggamuffin
Raggamuffin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Sun May 25, 2014 11:22 am

Raggamuffin wrote:
Didge wrote:

I didn't miss that point at all. My point is - why do they need others to tell them they're attractive? People worry far too much about what others think of them, and I would like to know why.

People do worry because these worries have been brought about by negative views, it only takes one negative view of how a person looks to start this. 
So you are missing the point.

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggamuffin on Sun May 25, 2014 11:23 am

FluffyBunny wrote:
Didge wrote:

Where would someone get the idea that dimples were unattractive though? I think that anything which is different about themselves is what makes people feel insecure at a young age. For example, if they don't know any other young girls with dimples, they might perceive dimples as being "wrong". If everyone they knew had dimples, they wouldn't think that.

Raggamuffin
Raggamuffin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggamuffin on Sun May 25, 2014 11:24 am

Didge wrote:
Raggamuffin wrote:

People do worry because these worries have been brought about by negative views, it only takes one negative view of how a person looks to start this. 

It's you who is missing the point. Why would someone react to one negative view from another person?

Raggamuffin
Raggamuffin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by FluffyBunny on Sun May 25, 2014 11:26 am

Raggamuffin wrote:
FluffyBunny wrote:

So why did you put up photos and videos of yourself if you have low esteem? Such things have been said about others too.

You know what I used to do for a living,so I had to put videos of myself online.But I still believed something was wrong with me,even though I was never told that until recently.

FluffyBunny

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggamuffin on Sun May 25, 2014 11:26 am

I think that young women worry about their weight because of the way excess weight looks. When they get older, they worry about how it feels - the pressure on joints, etc.

Raggamuffin
Raggamuffin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggamuffin on Sun May 25, 2014 11:27 am

FluffyBunny wrote:
Raggamuffin wrote:

You know what I used to do for a living,so I had to put videos of myself online.But I still believed something was wrong with me,even though I was never told that until recently.

So why did you link to the videos on forums which were nothing to do with what you did for a living?

Raggamuffin
Raggamuffin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Sun May 25, 2014 11:28 am

Raggamuffin wrote:
Didge wrote:

It's you who is missing the point. Why would someone react to one negative view from another person?

Because they already hold such a fear deep within them, which is is then opened by such a negative view

Do you even understand what fear is?

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Sun May 25, 2014 11:29 am

Raggamuffin wrote:I think that young women worry about their weight because of the way excess weight looks. When they get older, they worry about how it feels - the pressure on joints, etc.

No, many worry about their weight because of how they wish others to look upon them

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggamuffin on Sun May 25, 2014 11:30 am

Didge wrote:
Raggamuffin wrote:I think that young women worry about their weight because of the way excess weight looks. When they get older, they worry about how it feels - the pressure on joints, etc.

No, many worry about their weight because of how they wish others to look upon them

Not so much when they're older. They also know about the health risks of being fat - young people tend not to worry about that.

Raggamuffin
Raggamuffin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggamuffin on Sun May 25, 2014 11:31 am

Didge wrote:
Raggamuffin wrote:

Because they already hold such a fear deep within them, which is is then opened by such a negative view

Where has that fear come from? Babies don't think about how they look, and neither do toddlers - as I pointed out before.

Raggamuffin
Raggamuffin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Sun May 25, 2014 11:31 am

Raggamuffin wrote:
Didge wrote:

Not so much when they're older. They also know about the health risks of being fat - young people tend not to worry about that.

Again it is all about looks for those who fear, not any health risks, because many women starve themselves to look better ignoring the health risks involved when they do so.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Sun May 25, 2014 11:32 am

Raggamuffin wrote:
Didge wrote:

Where has that fear come from? Babies don't think about how they look, and neither do toddlers - as I pointed out before.

Babies and toddlers fear things, and it does start very young, with how parents will make a point on how their child looks, how they dress them ect, so it does start very young

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggamuffin on Sun May 25, 2014 11:33 am

Didge wrote:
Raggamuffin wrote:

Again it is all about looks for those who fear, not any health risks, because many women starve themselves to look better ignoring the health risks involved when they do so.

When they're young, yes. Of course some women do starve themselves when they're older, but it's mostly young women. When you get older, excess weight has more impact on joints and that kind of thing. There's also the issue of Type II diabetes, etc.

Raggamuffin
Raggamuffin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by FluffyBunny on Sun May 25, 2014 11:34 am

Raggamuffin wrote:
FluffyBunny wrote:

So why did you link to the videos on forums which were nothing to do with what you did for a living?

I have absolutely no idea.Because that's all I knew I suppose.

FluffyBunny

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggamuffin on Sun May 25, 2014 11:34 am

Didge wrote:
Raggamuffin wrote:

Babies and toddlers fear things, and it does start very young, with how parents will make a point on how their child looks, how they dress them ect, so it does start very young

They don't worry about how they look though, do they? That's what we're talking about here. When they get a little older they do start to think about it. Do you think that's the fault of their parents?

Raggamuffin
Raggamuffin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggamuffin on Sun May 25, 2014 11:35 am

FluffyBunny wrote:
Raggamuffin wrote:

You still use an avatar which is presumably a still from one of those videos. Why do you not have one of you smiling in a normal way or something?

Raggamuffin
Raggamuffin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Sun May 25, 2014 11:36 am

Raggamuffin wrote:
Didge wrote:

When they're young, yes. Of course some women do starve themselves when they're older, but it's mostly young women. When you get older, excess weight has more impact on joints and that kind of thing. There's also the issue of Type II diabetes, etc.

Yes it is mainly young women but again it is about looks, not health

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Sun May 25, 2014 11:37 am

Raggamuffin wrote:
Didge wrote:

They don't worry about how they look though, do they? That's what we're talking about here. When they get a little older they do start to think about it. Do you think that's the fault of their parents?  

Yes it does stem from parents in many cases, but also very much within groups of other children and their parents and how they dress their children.

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggamuffin on Sun May 25, 2014 11:46 am

Didge wrote:
Raggamuffin wrote:

No it's not. How would you know? You're a man.

Raggamuffin
Raggamuffin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Sun May 25, 2014 11:47 am

Raggamuffin wrote:
Didge wrote:

So you are saying men do not hold such views also?

Wow

I have studied this I may not understand the feeling of that individual, but can certainly understand what makes people feel such views

Back to top Go down

Post by FluffyBunny on Sun May 25, 2014 11:49 am

Raggamuffin wrote:
FluffyBunny wrote:

You still use an avatar which is presumably a still from one of those videos. Why do you not have one of you smiling in a normal way or something?

Ragga,why are you telling me what avatar to have here? No one has been critical of me here

FluffyBunny

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggamuffin on Sun May 25, 2014 11:52 am

FluffyBunny wrote:
Raggamuffin wrote:

Ragga,why are you telling me what avatar to have here? No one has been critical of me here

I'm not telling you what avatar to have here. I'm just curious because the way you presented yourself on other forums led to the criticism in the first place. It wasn't the way you looked - it was the posing.

Raggamuffin
Raggamuffin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggamuffin on Sun May 25, 2014 11:52 am

Didge wrote:
Raggamuffin wrote:

Wow

I have studied this I may not understand the feeling of that individual, but can certainly understand what makes people feel such views

I don't know what views men have when they get older. I only know that weight issues are not just about looks when women get older.

Raggamuffin
Raggamuffin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Sun May 25, 2014 11:57 am

Raggamuffin wrote:
Didge wrote:

Wow

I don't know what views men have when they get older. I only know that weight issues are not just about looks when women get older.

Men worry about how they look, more so muscular wise, hence why some men become addicted to training.
In fact some very muscular men you will find some of them with the biggest insecurities.

Back to top Go down

Post by FluffyBunny on Sun May 25, 2014 12:53 pm

Raggamuffin wrote:
FluffyBunny wrote:

I'm not telling you what avatar to have here. I'm just curious because the way you presented yourself on other forums led to the criticism in the first place. It wasn't the way you looked - it was the posing.

I didn't know that.I was going to say if other people feel I look like a man(the most repeated insult I received) surely it doesn't matter what picture I would put up,a posing one or a more casual one,they would still think I looked like a man.

FluffyBunny

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Sun May 25, 2014 4:15 pm

FluffyBunny wrote:
Raggamuffin wrote:

I didn't know that.I was going to say if other people feel I look like a man(the most repeated insult I received) surely it doesn't matter what picture I would put up,a posing one or a more casual one,they would still think I looked like a man.

Not on the ones wit your baps out surely?!

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Sun May 25, 2014 4:23 pm

Why is this generation SO bloody self-obsessed? All you see on the kids' facebook is endless selfies, all they go on about is how they look...

It's not just looks, it's just the total selfishness I see and hear nowadays. Watching those silly quiz programmes on TV, when they ask "how much would you like to win", the older ones might say "oh anything's more than I arrived with" or something, but the younger ones all say they want £100,000 or they want the lot. Such selfishness everywhere.

Back to top Go down

Post by FluffyBunny on Sun May 25, 2014 5:08 pm

Nems wrote:
FluffyBunny wrote:

Not on the ones wit your baps out surely?!

I never used a picture with my 'baps out' as an avatar,ever.I use this pic mostly.

FluffyBunny

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by FluffyBunny on Sun May 25, 2014 5:14 pm

Tesstacious wrote:Why is this generation SO bloody self-obsessed?  All you see on the kids' facebook is endless selfies, all they go on about is how they look...

It's not just looks, it's just the total selfishness I see and hear nowadays.  Watching those silly quiz programmes on TV, when they ask "how much would you like to win", the older ones might say "oh anything's more than I arrived with" or something, but the younger ones all say they want £100,000 or they want the lot.  Such selfishness everywhere.

You are seeing this the wrong way round.

Society is dictating women look a certain way.look at music video's now,Miley Cyrus twerking and gyrating.Did female singers have to be good looking in generations past? No.Now they do,fact.If their face doesn't fit a music video and they can't fit into some hotpants no one cares how good their voice is. Literally one artist bucks this trend and that's Adele,I can't think of any other single female in the charts who doesn't fit the stereotypical mould.

Teenagers see these videos and there is a standard expected of how these girls should look. Botox,breast enlargements,nose jobs...did these things happen in your grandparents day? Nope. Women were allowed to be imperfect.Now everyone is expected to attain a physical ideal or if not they can expect ridicule.

Selfies are merely young girls attempting to validate themselves in a society full of pressure and standards they can't possibly realistically meet.

FluffyBunny

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum