PM Abbott - How to win friends and Influence people NOT

Go down

PM Abbott - How to win friends and Influence people NOT

Post by veya_victaous on Thu May 22, 2014 1:08 am

the Prime Minsiter of Australia thought the following question on ABC radio was smirkworthy and worth winking at:

"I work on an adult sex line to make ends meet, that’s the only way I can do it. And I've worked out - and my maths isn’t crash hot - that it's going to cost me at least an extra $850 a year with the increases in medical visits and medication. I'm on a number of different medications that may probably increase as my conditions deteriorate. What do you suggest I cut out Mr. Abbott? Food, electricity, firewood, Christmas [and] birthday presents to my grandchildren? Or should we all just die and get out of your way?"

Now, there are a couple of alternative interpretations of what this video shows for the first 20 seconds before your Prime Minister (and minister for women) realises there’s a camera on him, visibly thinks “oh, fuck” and regains his composure.

One is that he thinks that a sick, elderly woman doing phone sex to keep her head above water is hilarious and a bit sexy. That’s probably not the correct one.

Another one is that he’s smirking and winking at the producer because this is an elaborate radio code that indicates that the person on the line is worthy of respect and acknowledgement. That’s more or less what his office are currently claiming, incidentally, and it’s also not what’s going on.

Another interpretation - the correct one - is that the wink might indeed have been to indicate that he's happy with host John Faine not jumping in, but the smirk is because he thinks the situation is bullshit and is mocking this whining dame and her wah-wah sob story. Which is also not the best response to get from the nation's minister for women, who also happens to be the PM.

See, here’s the thing. Smirking at someone expressing their fears or concerns is - in any circumstance - an arsehole move.

If you visibly smirk at someone in your capacity as a civilian going about your daily business who is approached for help by a complete stranger to whom you have no responsibility beyond a shared experience as humans on this planet then you, sir or madam, are still a complete prick

If, on the other hand, you have specifically gone into a situation where you have deliberately invited people to call in and speak to you about their concerns - say, by going on national radio and inviting people to call in with regard to the budget your government just handed down - and you respond with such childish contempt, then you’re not a complete prick. You transcend prickery and move into some sort of Platonic ideal of pricksmanship for which mere language becomes inadequate.

We don't know the Questions... does that means we cannot seek the Answers?
veya_victaous
The Mod Loki, Minister of Chaos & Candy, Emperor of the Southern Realms, Captain Kangaroo

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: PM Abbott - How to win friends and Influence people NOT

Post by Raggamuffin on Thu May 22, 2014 8:50 am

It was only a little wink.  Laughing 

"It ain't over 'til it's over"
Raggamuffin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Lone Wolf on Thu May 22, 2014 8:43 pm

Cool 

A little wink from our littlest creepy twink...

Lone Wolf

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down