I worry about how dumb people are today.

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

I worry about how dumb people are today. - Page 2 Empty I worry about how dumb people are today.

Post by Guest on Mon May 19, 2014 8:45 am

First topic message reminder :

I was listening to the Editor of Cosmopolitan on Sky this morning about a survey they did on who women would vote for; they showed pictures of politicians and celebrities.  It seems most went for Barak Obama (didn't one think he was the Prime Minister once?), and some voted for Joey from some Essex programme.

But what worried me more was that the commentator used the word hyperbole in the interview, but she pronounced it "hyper-bowl" - and she's the Editor of a famous magazine!  How many more people in powerful positions appear professional but are actually dumb-asses and got their jobs on their looks and/or personalities alone?  What's happened to our values nowadays?

Finally, listening to some quiz shows, I actually feel shocked when simple questions that would have been answered by primary school kids years ago are met with dumb confusion, and answered with embarrassing stupidity by adults.  What a downward spiral society's travelling on.

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down


I worry about how dumb people are today. - Page 2 Empty Re: I worry about how dumb people are today.

Post by Guest on Mon May 19, 2014 5:20 pm

Tesses point was not bullying - however you seem to be on-board the current trend celebrating or at the very least excusing failure.

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

I worry about how dumb people are today. - Page 2 Empty Re: I worry about how dumb people are today.

Post by Guest on Mon May 19, 2014 5:26 pm

sphinx wrote:Tesses point was not bullying - however you seem to be on-board the current trend celebrating or at the very least excusing failure.


Failure, you mean what you constitute as failure?
She was bullying, she condescended many people off the back of pronunciation and on knowledge as if she is the fountain of all knowledge in the first place.
I argue well my points on subjects I study, hence why some people here get such an arse, I do not group collectively people as stupid or dumb because they may spell something wrong, or miss pronounce, when the person claiming that is like I stated without knowledge on certain fields herself, so using your logic all people are failures at many things they have no knowledge of.
It is an absurd view point.

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

I worry about how dumb people are today. - Page 2 Empty Re: I worry about how dumb people are today.

Post by Guest on Mon May 19, 2014 5:33 pm

Didge wrote:
Tesstacious wrote:
Actually Quill, hidden in my scathing post there is serious social criticism, re the increase in the gap between rich and poor.  I do seriously believe the very rich are getting more powerful and the masses are getting dumbed down, by the education system (though some don't agree) and by the Soma of the masses, i.e. X-box games, Facebook, Big Brother... It really is getting like Brave New World.


We have one of the best education system s in the world, it is also very mocking to people in general in society, who I imagine would take issue with your view points.
There is a problem between a rich and poor divide, that does not mean are in anyway less intelligent but who holds the monopoly on industries etc


I worry about how dumb people are today. - Page 2 Fairyl12

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

I worry about how dumb people are today. - Page 2 Empty Re: I worry about how dumb people are today.

Post by Guest on Mon May 19, 2014 5:37 pm

Yes Andy, at least I do not need to use a spell check eh.


Ha Ha You exposed this when you spelt a name wrong using spell check which clearly did not have he correct spelling, so maybe you need that certificate mate.

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

I worry about how dumb people are today. - Page 2 Empty Re: I worry about how dumb people are today.

Post by Guest on Mon May 19, 2014 5:41 pm

Didge wrote:
sphinx wrote:Tesses point was not bullying - however you seem to be on-board the current trend celebrating or at the very least excusing failure.


Failure, you mean what you constitute as failure?
She was bullying, she condescended many people off the back of pronunciation and on knowledge as if she is the fountain of all knowledge in the first place.
I argue well my points on subjects I study, hence why some people here get such an arse, I do not group collectively people as stupid or dumb because they may spell something wrong, or miss pronounce, when the person claiming that is like I stated without knowledge on certain fields herself, so using your logic all people are failures at many things they have no knowledge of.
It is an absurd view point.

Failure in my books is not meeting standards that favourite of the legal system the average man would expect a person in the same position to meet.

In other words for someone heading a world renowned magazine to know how to pronoun the words she chooses to use.

We are not talking a random member of the public picked off the street here.

Next you will be telling me Sharon Shoesmith did not fail and her sacking was unfair.

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

I worry about how dumb people are today. - Page 2 Empty Re: I worry about how dumb people are today.

Post by Guest on Mon May 19, 2014 5:44 pm

Didge wrote:Yes Andy, at least I do not need to use a spell check eh.


Ha Ha You exposed this when you spelt a name wrong using spell check which clearly did not have he correct spelling, so maybe you need that certificate mate.

So while Tess is totally in the wrong, and a bully and goodness knows what else for pointing out someone on a 6 figure salary screwed up their pronunciation that second coming of Jesus called didge is not doing anything bad when he lets loose on a simple forum user for using spell check.

I would call you a hypocrite Didge but the word is not strong enough and you are so far up your own ass you dont even realize it applies to you.

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

I worry about how dumb people are today. - Page 2 Empty Re: I worry about how dumb people are today.

Post by Guest on Mon May 19, 2014 5:46 pm

sphinx wrote:
Didge wrote:Yes Andy, at least I do not need to use a spell check eh.


Ha Ha You exposed this when you spelt a name wrong using spell check which clearly did not have he correct spelling, so maybe you need that certificate mate.

So while Tess is totally in the wrong, and a bully and goodness knows what else for pointing out someone on a 6 figure salary screwed up their pronunciation that second coming of Jesus called didge is not doing anything bad when he lets loose on a simple forum user for using spell check.

I would call you a hypocrite Didge but the word is not strong enough and you are so far up your own ass you dont even realize it applies to you.


He's nothing but a bully - i'm very embarrassed by this and extremely upset.

I thought we were friends - he's just mocking my dyslexia - he knows i have an acute form - i told him via PM - he acted all concerned.

B4st4rd!

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

I worry about how dumb people are today. - Page 2 Empty Re: I worry about how dumb people are today.

Post by Guest on Mon May 19, 2014 5:47 pm

sphinx wrote:
Didge wrote:


Failure, you mean what you constitute as failure?
She was bullying, she condescended many people off the back of pronunciation and on knowledge as if she is the fountain of all knowledge in the first place.
I argue well my points on subjects I study, hence why some people here get such an arse, I do not group collectively people as stupid or dumb because they may spell something wrong, or miss pronounce, when the person claiming that is like I stated without knowledge on certain fields herself, so using your logic all people are failures at many things they have no knowledge of.
It is an absurd view point.

Failure in my books is not meeting standards that favourite of the legal system the average man would expect a person in the same position to meet.

In other words for someone heading a world renowned magazine to know how to pronoun the words she chooses to use.

We are not talking a random member of the public picked off the street here.

Next you will be telling me Sharon Shoesmith did not fail and her sacking was unfair.

So failures is based again what you perceive as a view of the average man and not a woman now, that is interesting, it seems that sexist view of UKIP is really paying dividends from all those afternoon Mother and toddler UKIP tea parties.
I do not think it matters one jot, I know some people who have left school without any qualifications and are appalling at grammar and have made a fortune, as they are good at business and grammar or pronunciation count for didley squat unless you are as seen very pedantic over something so minuscule. I think you have a very low opinion of people in general, that to me speaks more about you than it does about other people, and it takes a better person to look at themselves first before they collectively judge others.
I suggest you look at your own failures, before preaching to the world n others

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

I worry about how dumb people are today. - Page 2 Empty Re: I worry about how dumb people are today.

Post by Original Quill on Mon May 19, 2014 5:51 pm

Tesstacious wrote:
Original Quill wrote:

Well, first of all I wouldn't have commented in the first place if I didn't know you could do better than that.

Second, I felt the criticism is a little bit unfair.  Judging people on how they pronounce syllables??  We all have our foibles.  I constantly--unconsciously--write 'their' when I mean 'they're' or 'there' and I've got two doctorate degrees.  I mean, c'mon...stick to your better side.  You are good at social criticism.

Well, even my time is wasted commenting here.
Actually Quill, hidden in my scathing post there is serious social criticism, re the increase in the gap between rich and poor.  I do seriously believe the very rich are getting more powerful and the masses are getting dumbed down, by the education system (though some don't agree) and by the Soma of the masses, i.e. X-box games, Facebook, Big Brother... It really is getting like Brave New World.

Why do you have to hide it? Afraid of something? Can you even talk about it?

_________________
“Little thieves are hanged, but great thieves are praised.” — Old Russian proverb, offered by Vladimir Putin to Donald J. Trump, Helsinki, July, 2018.

"I don't stand by anything."  ― Donald Trump, interview with John Dickerson, 5.1.17...

Normal is broken.

“That's libertarians for you — anarchists who want police protection from their slaves.” ― Kim Stanley Robinson, Green Mars
Original Quill
Original Quill

Posts : 28392
Join date : 2013-12-19
Age : 54
Location : Northern California

View user profile

Back to top Go down

I worry about how dumb people are today. - Page 2 Empty Re: I worry about how dumb people are today.

Post by Guest on Mon May 19, 2014 6:08 pm

Didge wrote:
sphinx wrote:

Failure in my books is not meeting standards that favourite of the legal system the average man would expect a person in the same position to meet.

In other words for someone heading a world renowned magazine to know how to pronoun the words she chooses to use.

We are not talking a random member of the public picked off the street here.

Next you will be telling me Sharon Shoesmith did not fail and her sacking was unfair.

So failures is based again what you perceive as a view of the average man and not a woman now, that is interesting, it seems that sexist view of UKIP is really paying dividends from all those afternoon Mother and toddler UKIP tea parties.
I do not think it matters one jot, I know some people who have left school without any qualifications and are appalling at grammar and have made a fortune, as they are good at business and grammar or pronunciation count for didley squat unless you are as seen very pedantic over something so minuscule. I think you have a very low opinion of people in general, that to me speaks more about you than it does about other people, and it takes a better person to look at themselves first before they collectively judge others.
I suggest you look at your own failures, before preaching to the world n others

Aww ickle Didge trying to bait someone again cause he dont like them having their own world view.

As I am sure you are well aware (you do at least seem to be intelligent enough to do research) the use of the word "man" can be used to refer to species (human)as well as gender and UKIP supports this distinction as do I myself - thus you have chair(hu)man sales(hu)man etc and also average (hu)man.

Yes in lots of areas where people can make fortunes grammar, pronunciation, etc do count for squat - however visual and verbal media is not such an area.

As for people in general - I dont bother. I take them as individuals. Unlike yourself who is only ever concerned with defending failure at the individual level by demonstrating group characteristics.

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

I worry about how dumb people are today. - Page 2 Empty Re: I worry about how dumb people are today.

Post by Guest on Mon May 19, 2014 6:14 pm

sphinx wrote:
Didge wrote:

So failures is based again what you perceive as a view of the average man and not a woman now, that is interesting, it seems that sexist view of UKIP is really paying dividends from all those afternoon Mother and toddler UKIP tea parties.
I do not think it matters one jot, I know some people who have left school without any qualifications and are appalling at grammar and have made a fortune, as they are good at business and grammar or pronunciation count for didley squat unless you are as seen very pedantic over something so minuscule. I think you have a very low opinion of people in general, that to me speaks more about you than it does about other people, and it takes a better person to look at themselves first before they collectively judge others.
I suggest you look at your own failures, before preaching to the world n others

Aww ickle Didge trying to bait someone again cause he dont like them having their own world view.

As I am sure you are well aware (you do at least seem to be intelligent enough to do research) the use of the word "man" can be used to refer to species (human)as well as gender and UKIP supports this distinction as do I myself - thus you have chair(hu)man sales(hu)man etc and also average (hu)man.

Yes in lots of areas where people can make fortunes grammar, pronunciation, etc do count for squat - however visual and verbal media is not such an area.

As for people in general - I dont bother.  I take them as individuals.  Unlike yourself who is only ever concerned with defending failure at the individual level by demonstrating group characteristics.


Nothing to do with bait but exposing your poor views Sphinx, you used man, and not men and women, that is another view that is poor about UKIP how utterly sexist they are. So no I do not buy the use of the word man to describe people in society as a whole who have views, and you go on about correct grammar when the word "average person" would have been more apt and applicable.
Again who is defending failure, when it is you defining failure of which I do not agree with how you define it using your pedantic low view of the world. People are human and make errors even on the TV, yet you seem to take some holier than holy view that they all must be as perfect as you.

At least you got there in the end correctly using people in general in your last sentence and miss the irony when you are pulled up for what you are doing to others.

Lesson learnt?

I doubt it

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

I worry about how dumb people are today. - Page 2 Empty Re: I worry about how dumb people are today.

Post by Guest on Mon May 19, 2014 6:18 pm

Didge wrote:
sphinx wrote:

Aww ickle Didge trying to bait someone again cause he dont like them having their own world view.

As I am sure you are well aware (you do at least seem to be intelligent enough to do research) the use of the word "man" can be used to refer to species (human)as well as gender and UKIP supports this distinction as do I myself - thus you have chair(hu)man sales(hu)man etc and also average (hu)man.

Yes in lots of areas where people can make fortunes grammar, pronunciation, etc do count for squat - however visual and verbal media is not such an area.

As for people in general - I dont bother.  I take them as individuals.  Unlike yourself who is only ever concerned with defending failure at the individual level by demonstrating group characteristics.


Nothing to do with bait but exposing your poor views Sphinx, you used man, and not men and women, that is another view that is poor about UKIP how utterly sexist they are. So no I do not buy the use of the word man to describe people in society as a whole who have views, and you go on about correct grammar when the word "average person" would have been more apt and applicable.
Again who is defending failure, when it is you defining failure of which I do not agree with how you define it using your pedantic low view of the world. People are human and make errors even on the TV, yet you seem to take some holier than holy view that they all must be as perfect as you.

At least you got there in the end correctly using people in general in your last sentence and miss the irony when you are pulled up for what you are doing to others.

Lesson learnt?

I doubt it

If you can be assed look up the definition of man in the dictionary.

Then see if you can work out who is sexist - the one who needs to separate genders and talk about men and women or the one who thinks about them as a whole species without need to separate.


Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

I worry about how dumb people are today. - Page 2 Empty Re: I worry about how dumb people are today.

Post by Guest on Mon May 19, 2014 6:21 pm

sphinx wrote:
Didge wrote:


Nothing to do with bait but exposing your poor views Sphinx, you used man, and not men and women, that is another view that is poor about UKIP how utterly sexist they are. So no I do not buy the use of the word man to describe people in society as a whole who have views, and you go on about correct grammar when the word "average person" would have been more apt and applicable.
Again who is defending failure, when it is you defining failure of which I do not agree with how you define it using your pedantic low view of the world. People are human and make errors even on the TV, yet you seem to take some holier than holy view that they all must be as perfect as you.

At least you got there in the end correctly using people in general in your last sentence and miss the irony when you are pulled up for what you are doing to others.

Lesson learnt?

I doubt it

If you can be assed look up the definition of man in the dictionary.

Then see if you can work out who is sexist - the one who needs to separate genders and talk about men and women or the one who thinks about them as a whole species without need to separate.


You know I am right on this because you next used "people in general"
You see it is easy to expose how UKIP downgrades women to now only a view of a man that matters, that is evident.
You see you get very defensive when I pull up your faults and still the lesson is not learnt onto you.

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

I worry about how dumb people are today. - Page 2 Empty Re: I worry about how dumb people are today.

Post by Guest on Mon May 19, 2014 6:34 pm

Didge wrote:
sphinx wrote:

If you can be assed look up the definition of man in the dictionary.

Then see if you can work out who is sexist - the one who needs to separate genders and talk about men and women or the one who thinks about them as a whole species without need to separate.


You know I am right on this because you next used "people in general"
You see it is easy to expose how UKIP downgrades women to now only a view of a man that matters, that is evident.
You see you get very defensive when I pull up your faults and still the lesson is not learnt onto you.

You might want to look up context.

I referred to average man as the legal fiction as used by the law courts in which man is used by the second dictionary definition of man
man/
noun
noun: man; plural noun: men; noun: Man; noun: the Man

1.
an adult human male.
"a small man with mischievous eyes"

2.
a human being of either sex; a person.

"God cares for all men"
synonyms: human being, human, person, mortal, individual, personage, soul

I then talked about people in general in the more relaxed conversational form.

Still seeing as this thread is about language etc and you are busy presenting the case for why it doesnt matter I suppose I am setting my expectations far too high in thinking you would understand the possibility of using both precise and conversational forms in the same post.

And you think I have a problem with low expectations.
Bless.

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

I worry about how dumb people are today. - Page 2 Empty Re: I worry about how dumb people are today.

Post by Guest on Mon May 19, 2014 6:42 pm

sphinx wrote:
Didge wrote:

You know I am right on this because you next used "people in general"
You see it is easy to expose how UKIP downgrades women to now only a view of a man that matters, that is evident.
You see you get very defensive when I pull up your faults and still the lesson is not learnt onto you.

You might want to look up context.

I referred to average man as the legal fiction as used by the law courts in which man is used by the second dictionary definition of man
man/
noun
noun: man; plural noun: men; noun: Man; noun: the Man

   1.
   an adult human male.
   "a small man with mischievous eyes"
 
   2.
   a human being of either sex; a person.

   "God cares for all men"
   synonyms: human being, human, person, mortal, individual, personage, soul

I then talked about people in general in the more relaxed conversational form.

Still seeing as this thread is about language etc and you are busy presenting the case for why it doesnt matter I suppose I am setting my expectations far too high in thinking you would understand the possibility of using both precise and conversational forms in the same post.

And you think I have a problem with low expectations.
Bless.


PMSL never seen such a poor defense to what you really meant Sphinx and we both knwo it so much so you proved so by having to defend a claim against you proving even more what you constitute as failure when reversed from me leaves you so wound up and you still you learn nothing from this because you have such an ignorant view of people, because you think you are though holier than holy spending days sat behind a PC able to study the web at will whilst most people work.

I have no problem with expectations, because I have a job and have worked all my life Sphinx, I also recognise my faults and do not look to be critical of people collectively for their own failings, because at the end of the day we are all human and do make mistakes. It is you using the view to be pedantic and rather nasty in your view of others, this clearly stems from the derisive language taught by UKIP.

It does not matter grammar or pronunciation, it only matters to people with too much time on their hands to sit and judge others for what they seem to think is some outrage.

It is nothing short of pathetic

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

I worry about how dumb people are today. - Page 2 Empty Re: I worry about how dumb people are today.

Post by Guest on Mon May 19, 2014 6:51 pm

Ah yes the famous didge "I am a mind reader and so know exactly what other people mean even when the words they post imply something completely different" statement

Along with his "I am winding you up" statement

Both of which seem to be designed in the hope that some people reading are so thick they cannot work out for themselves who is saying what and getting wound up.

I do notice the upping of the ante with the subtle jibes about working and the implication I am a lazy whatnot faking scrounger. Probably would have had more impact if I had actually been clearly around on a computer in the recent past but I am guessing you think others are too dumb to notice this is the first extended session I have been on in a while.

Does your recognition of your own faults include noticing when you lowering the quality of your responses in the deliberate attempt to hurt so as to be able to continue with your Mittyesque dreams of being right all the time?

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

I worry about how dumb people are today. - Page 2 Empty Re: I worry about how dumb people are today.

Post by Guest on Mon May 19, 2014 7:01 pm

sphinx wrote:Ah yes the famous didge "I am a mind reader and so know exactly what other people mean even when the words they post imply something completely different" statement

Along with his "I am winding you up" statement

Both of which seem to be designed in the hope that some people reading are so thick they cannot work out for themselves who is saying what and getting wound up.

I do notice the upping of the ante with the subtle jibes about working and the implication I am a lazy whatnot faking scrounger.  Probably would have had more impact if I had actually been clearly around on a computer in the recent past but I am guessing you think others are too dumb to notice this is the first extended session I have been on in a while.

Does your recognition of your own faults include noticing when you lowering the quality of your responses in the deliberate attempt to hurt so as to be able to continue with your Mittyesque dreams of being right all the time?



You still do not get the point do you, my view was to show how easily it is for me to find fault in something you said and again this is lost on you to the point you go t so wound up you even had to find the dictionary definition, for you to be right and you bemoan that of me. What I am showing is that people have different views as to what constitutes failures, but your view over grammar and pronunciation are pedantic beyond belief. The fact is you were wound up by your replies and all I am doing is teaching you a valuable life lesson not to judge people collectively so, this again is of course lost on you to the point you now seek to drag others into this because you are wound up by now claiming I think many people are thick, which is again something I do not think of all posters here, each have their own abilities, though some go in over their head on subjects. I am not even trying to wind you up, your words not mine, you have done that all by yourself

Never claimed you were a scrounger, I know you have an illness, so your words not mine, it does mean though you do have more time on your hands than most to research the web of which you do, that is no lie but a factual statement, to the point it is you hurling insults now and me I have done no such thing but expose poor views you hold. Never stated you are even fit to work which I know you are not, I am not lowering anything but attempting to show the hypocrisy of your view, where clearly the light bulb has not lit yet to this point.   

The fact is as seen you hold a very pedantic point about people using grammar and pronunciation, as if it is some big failing, sorry it is not.
So would you say people who need to take 4 driving tests are failures?
Are people failures if they do not get a promotion?
Are people failures if they do not get married?


Failure is what people constitute it to be themselves, I do not hold the view people are failures or take the view any of the points above are failures, you though have a holy than holier view as to think you think things in life are failures, when people make mistakes it is about learning from them, but grammar is not something I think people need to really learn from or concern themselves over.

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

I worry about how dumb people are today. - Page 2 Empty Re: I worry about how dumb people are today.

Post by Guest on Mon May 19, 2014 7:14 pm

I did not get the point because there was not one - other than the obvious "didge disagees with me". You did not find a fault because there was not one - not unless I was actually thinking what you wanted me to be thinking and claim I was thinking, unfortunately for you I was thinking exactly what I explained - although I am sure in your world you will take this as evidence that actually I am thinking what you say and not what I tell people because after all the great didge always knows what I am thinking better than I do.

Now as for calling me a scrounger no you did not - you used snide insinuations about my extra free time. As for studying the web - if you mean that statement in the form that I am gaining skills for use in possible employment then yes I have indeed chosen to do that. If you mean it in the terms of I go around looking up facts like the definition of man uh sorry you are wrong - I learned that over 20 years ago at school before the web even existed.

Your last statement simply supports my earlier point that you support the current contention that personal failure is unimportant and should be ignored. You may consider me pedantic for being of the mindset that the captain goes down with his ship and on the job failure should result in resignation of the person - but I am not sure that is quite what pedantic means.

Oh and as for my personal standards - yes they are that high. If I was in that job and made that error I would be screwed up with shame and probably offering my resignation. I certainly would not be moaning about the flack flying at me because I would thoroughly deserve it.

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

I worry about how dumb people are today. - Page 2 Empty Re: I worry about how dumb people are today.

Post by Guest on Mon May 19, 2014 7:23 pm

sphinx wrote:I did not get the point because there was not one - other than the obvious "didge disagees with me".  You did not find a fault because there was not one - not unless I was actually thinking what you wanted me to be thinking and claim I was thinking, unfortunately for you I was thinking exactly what I explained - although I am sure in your world you will take this as evidence that actually I am thinking what you say and not what I tell people because after all the great didge always knows what I am thinking better than I do.


Now as for calling me a scrounger no you did not - you used snide insinuations about my extra free time.  As for studying the web - if you mean that statement in the form that I am gaining skills for use in possible employment then yes I have indeed chosen to do that.  If you mean it in the terms of I go around looking up facts like the definition of man uh sorry you are wrong - I learned that over 20 years ago at school before the web even existed.

Your last statement simply supports my earlier point that you support the current contention that personal failure is unimportant and should be ignored.  You may consider me pedantic for being of the mindset that the captain goes down with his ship and on the job failure should result in resignation of the person - but I am not sure that is quite what pedantic means.

Oh and as for my personal standards - yes they are that high.  If I was in that job and made that error I would be screwed up with shame and probably offering my resignation.  I certainly would not be moaning about the flack flying at me because I would thoroughly deserve it.



Never used any insinuation, I stated you do no work, of which you do not and others do and that you thus have more time on your hands, the rest is your own paranoia Sphinx

Second, your view as seen is a pedantic view on failures as if you wish to castigate what you view as a failure and hound people, of which I really find not only pathetic but very poor when no doubt you have your own failings

Third you are still missing the point on me pulling up your use of the word man, still showing how wound up you up you are and thus clouding any sense to the debate, the point again being lost on you even after being explained.

People with too high an expectation lead themselves up to big falls, because most people have a reasonable expectation of themselves, not only that we are also human and do make mistakes, to be perfect is a something that is not even a reality, to obtain perfection in life is not a reality either and thus place a greater burden than is necessary on oneself in life. What does matter is believing in yourself, you do not need expectations for that. So if you screwed up, as people do daily, I would not accept your resignation, because to me you had made an error and would hope you learnt from this and would sit down and walk through where it went wrong but not treat you as a failure but as someone I would hope could see they could offer much to the company. If everyone took your view to fail people on their first mistake, countless people would be without a job. Some jobs have critical failures which lead to death, but this is not the norm for most people and hence why such jobs takes years of training and practice, but as stated in most jobs you help people see past a mistake, where again grammar is not the be all and end all within life.

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

I worry about how dumb people are today. - Page 2 Empty Re: I worry about how dumb people are today.

Post by Guest on Mon May 19, 2014 7:25 pm

Didge wrote:
sphinx wrote:I did not get the point because there was not one - other than the obvious "didge disagees with me".  You did not find a fault because there was not one - not unless I was actually thinking what you wanted me to be thinking and claim I was thinking, unfortunately for you I was thinking exactly what I explained - although I am sure in your world you will take this as evidence that actually I am thinking what you say and not what I tell people because after all the great didge always knows what I am thinking better than I do.


Now as for calling me a scrounger no you did not - you used snide insinuations about my extra free time.  As for studying the web - if you mean that statement in the form that I am gaining skills for use in possible employment then yes I have indeed chosen to do that.  If you mean it in the terms of I go around looking up facts like the definition of man uh sorry you are wrong - I learned that over 20 years ago at school before the web even existed.

Your last statement simply supports my earlier point that you support the current contention that personal failure is unimportant and should be ignored.  You may consider me pedantic for being of the mindset that the captain goes down with his ship and on the job failure should result in resignation of the person - but I am not sure that is quite what pedantic means.

Oh and as for my personal standards - yes they are that high.  If I was in that job and made that error I would be screwed up with shame and probably offering my resignation.  I certainly would not be moaning about the flack flying at me because I would thoroughly deserve it.



Never used any insinuation, I stated you do no work, of which you do not and others do and that you thus have more time on your hands, the rest is your own paranoia Sphinx

Second, your view as seen is a pedantic view on failures as if you wish to castigate what you view as a failure and hound people, of which I really find not only pathetic but very poor when no doubt you have your own failings

Third you are still missing the point on me pulling up your use of the word man, still showing how wound up you up you are and thus clouding any sense to the debate, the point again being lost on you even after being explained.

People with too high an expectation lead themselves up to big falls, because most people have a reasonable expectation of themselves, not only that we are also human and do make mistakes, to be perfect is a something that is not even a reality, to obtain perfection in life is not a reality either and thus place a greater burden than is necessary on oneself in life. What does matter is believing in yourself, you do not need expectations for that. So if you screwed up, as people do daily, I would not accept your resignation, because to me you had made an error and would hope you learnt from this and would sit down and walk through where it went wrong but not treat you as a failure but as someone I would hope could see they could offer much to the company. If everyone took your view to fail people on their first mistake, countless people would be without a job. Some jobs have critical failures which lead to death, but this is not the norm for most people and hence why such jobs takes years of training and practice, but as stated in most jobs you help people see past a mistake, where again grammar is not the be all and end all within life.


May i be so bold eddie?


BURGER!

I worry about how dumb people are today. - Page 2 Fairyl14

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

I worry about how dumb people are today. - Page 2 Empty Re: I worry about how dumb people are today.

Post by David on Mon May 19, 2014 7:27 pm


Oh dear oh dear HYPERBOLE is Greek  study lol! 
David
David

Posts : 748
Join date : 2013-12-13
Age : 49

View user profile

Back to top Go down

I worry about how dumb people are today. - Page 2 Empty Re: I worry about how dumb people are today.

Post by Guest on Mon May 19, 2014 7:28 pm

lol trying to ruin debates Andy again ha ha ha


You need to give yourself an award


Bigot of the year 2014

You have now won it nine years running


 ::D::

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

I worry about how dumb people are today. - Page 2 Empty Re: I worry about how dumb people are today.

Post by Guest on Mon May 19, 2014 7:33 pm

Ah right so now expressing my opinion about something is "hounding people"

I did not know that. Gosh didge you are are right you do provide an education.

I also thought that if I was wound up about I something I would get stuck on it and keep trying to prove to you I was right rather than merely providing the reasoning behind my thinking for others who may be reading.

Thats 2 things you have taught me in one post. I am hounding people when I express an opinion, and I wound up. Wow.

Obviously your definition of reasonable and mine are different. My opinion that this was a failure is limited to this person in this position on this occasion. I do not expect jockys, supermarket workers, or gardeners to know the pronunciation of hyperbole (although many probably do) however I do expect the head of a world renowned magazine using it while being filmed to know it. This is the same as not expecting the bus passengers to know the law on reversing of buses, or the height of the vehicle, but still expecting the driver to know these things. You no doubt would be instantly ready to forgive the bus driver for crashing into a bridge because he did not know the height of his vehicle. You no doubt consider expecting lowly bus drivers to know the height of their vehicle to be too high an expectation.

Gosh this having my expectations of people too low is bitch isnt it?

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

I worry about how dumb people are today. - Page 2 Empty Re: I worry about how dumb people are today.

Post by Guest on Mon May 19, 2014 7:35 pm

David wrote:
Oh dear oh dear HYPERBOLE is Greek  study lol! 

Yeah but admitting that would have prevented didge from being able to dig at tess over her education so he could make the point that people should not be proud of knowing things and getting them right because that is not fair to those who were not taught them.

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

I worry about how dumb people are today. - Page 2 Empty Re: I worry about how dumb people are today.

Post by Guest on Mon May 19, 2014 7:35 pm

Didge wrote:lol trying to ruin debates Andy again ha ha ha


You need to give yourself an award


Bigot of the year 2014

You have now won it nine years running


 ::D::

This isn't a debate - it's a car crash.

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

I worry about how dumb people are today. - Page 2 Empty Re: I worry about how dumb people are today.

Post by Guest on Mon May 19, 2014 7:40 pm

sphinx wrote:Ah right so now expressing my opinion about something is "hounding people"

I did not know that.  Gosh didge you are are right you do provide an education.

I also thought that if I was wound up about I something I would get stuck on it and keep trying to prove to you I was right rather than merely providing the reasoning behind my thinking for others who may be reading.

Thats 2 things you have taught me in one post.  I am hounding people when I express an opinion, and I wound up.  Wow.

Obviously your definition of reasonable and mine are different.  My opinion that this was a failure is limited to this person in this position on this occasion.  I do not expect jockys, supermarket workers, or gardeners to know the pronunciation of hyperbole (although many probably do) however I do expect the head of a world renowned magazine using it while being filmed to know it.  This is the same as not expecting the bus passengers to know the law on reversing of buses, or the height of the vehicle, but still expecting the driver to know these things.  You no doubt would be instantly ready to forgive the bus driver for crashing into a bridge because he did not know the height of his vehicle.  You no doubt consider expecting lowly bus drivers to know the height of their vehicle to be too high an expectation.

Gosh this having my expectations of people too low is bitch isnt it?  



You did get stuck in by banging on about the definition to them posting it trying to prove you were right did you not Sphinx? You see I find the irony so funny of what people excuse me of when many posters here try to prove they are right but my point on this was more to do with what you excuse people of and hence why this point was sadly lost on you. It shows when the shoe is on the other foot you do not  like it and yet hence the lesson was not learnt.

Your view is her position and to obtain such a position you now claim they should have perfect grammar all over one word?

That is utter baloney, you have to high an expectation and that is where your problem does lie and hence why you will lead yourself up to many disappointments. Not saying this is the case for you but it is a massive reason why many relationships fail, because of placing to high an expectation onto people. It is why also people actually fail at work, because they place such a high expectation on themselves they never deliver in many cases, because they are too wrapped up in what they think they should achieve when the reality is they may not be able to achieve because some roles are beyond some people. You then use the poor avenue, use extreme situations where already I stated some things cost lives with mistakes, even then the better person would and has been the case for some people forgive those who make such mistakes, are you saying now anyone who does forgive such people are idiots now for doing so?

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

I worry about how dumb people are today. - Page 2 Empty Re: I worry about how dumb people are today.

Post by Guest on Mon May 19, 2014 7:43 pm

Oh right now I have a high expectation.

Could have sworn earlier you told me my problem was of low expectations.


Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

I worry about how dumb people are today. - Page 2 Empty Re: I worry about how dumb people are today.

Post by Guest on Mon May 19, 2014 7:45 pm

sphinx wrote:Oh right now I have a high expectation.

Could have sworn earlier you told me my problem was of low expectations.




You stated you have expectations, talk about now again trying to divert the debate.


You set yourself up for big falls by having such high expectations, but if you wish to bow out gracefully from the debate as seen, be my guest!

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

I worry about how dumb people are today. - Page 2 Empty Re: I worry about how dumb people are today.

Post by Guest on Mon May 19, 2014 7:53 pm

David wrote:
Oh dear oh dear HYPERBOLE is Greek  study lol! 
Now I get why he asked about my Latin. Wondered what the f**k that had to do with anything! Didn't connect the two.

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

I worry about how dumb people are today. - Page 2 Empty Re: I worry about how dumb people are today.

Post by Guest on Mon May 19, 2014 7:56 pm

Tesstacious wrote:
David wrote:
Oh dear oh dear HYPERBOLE is Greek  study lol! 
Now I get why he asked about my Latin.  Wondered what the f**k that had to do with anything!  Didn't connect the two.


Nope that was not the point, you need to read back!


But it is ironic that the word Hyperbole does fit nicely your view of people.

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

I worry about how dumb people are today. - Page 2 Empty Re: I worry about how dumb people are today.

Post by Guest on Mon May 19, 2014 9:35 pm

Didge wrote:
sphinx wrote:Oh right now I have a high expectation.

Could have sworn earlier you told me my problem was of low expectations.




You stated you have expectations, talk about now again trying to divert the debate.


You set yourself up for big falls by having such high expectations, but if you wish to bow out gracefully from the debate as seen, be my guest!

I dont know if bored with the same old "I am right and everyone else is wrong because I say so" is bowing out gracefully - then again I can leave the debate without needing to announce I am going to the pub or out or somewhere before failing to go out and carrying on posting regardless.

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

I worry about how dumb people are today. - Page 2 Empty Re: I worry about how dumb people are today.

Post by Guest on Mon May 19, 2014 9:41 pm

Tesstacious wrote:
Original Quill wrote:

Is this all you've got to worry about?  Haven't you got a book to write?  And industry to build?  A child to raise?  My god, woman: hyperbole and how it's pronounced?!

If this is your Peter Principle level, you could become someone's secretary.
Been there - done that.  And no this isn't all I've got to worry about - as you can see from my serious threads about the state of the world, which get totally ignored.  This forum isn't about serious concerns, so the threads about the annoying little things like people's lack of grammar/intelligence seem to get more notice, dontchathink?

 Twisted Evil Wink 

The thread didn't get ignored by all Tess.

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

I worry about how dumb people are today. - Page 2 Empty Re: I worry about how dumb people are today.

Post by Original Quill on Tue May 20, 2014 3:50 am

Go back to the discussion on Internet making people more apt to become combative. Because I just saw a TV show on how people may be naturally becoming addictive...such that booze and drugs are a "natural" need for the body...like, say, food and water.

Don't know if I'm making sense, but I do think there is something there.

Anyway, nite. Chat in AM.

_________________
“Little thieves are hanged, but great thieves are praised.” — Old Russian proverb, offered by Vladimir Putin to Donald J. Trump, Helsinki, July, 2018.

"I don't stand by anything."  ― Donald Trump, interview with John Dickerson, 5.1.17...

Normal is broken.

“That's libertarians for you — anarchists who want police protection from their slaves.” ― Kim Stanley Robinson, Green Mars
Original Quill
Original Quill

Posts : 28392
Join date : 2013-12-19
Age : 54
Location : Northern California

View user profile

Back to top Go down

I worry about how dumb people are today. - Page 2 Empty Re: I worry about how dumb people are today.

Post by Ben Reilly on Tue May 20, 2014 4:31 am

Original Quill wrote:Go back to the discussion on Internet making people more apt to become combative.  Because I just saw a TV show on how people may be naturally becoming addictive...such that booze and drugs are a "natural" need for the body...like, say, food and water.

Don't know if I'm making sense, but I do think there is something there.

Anyway, nite.  Chat in AM.

Makes sense to me, it's just like how people become such assholes in their cars when they feel isolated from the other drivers. And ... anger is addictive, it increases adrenaline and creates a sort of "high."

I don't know that the perception that people are more dumb than they used to be is any more valid, though, than the perception that there's more violence, more natural disasters, etc. than there used to be. Media reporting can warp your perception that way, where because things are reported on more than they used to be, we falsely perceive them as happening more often than before.

_________________
Happiness is when what you think, what you say and what you do are in harmony.

-Ghandi
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly
Cowboy King. Dread Pirate of the Guadalupe. Enemy of the American people.

Posts : 26411
Join date : 2013-01-19
Age : 44
Location : Tesco's

View user profile http://www.newsfixboard.com

Back to top Go down

I worry about how dumb people are today. - Page 2 Empty Re: I worry about how dumb people are today.

Post by veya_victaous on Tue May 20, 2014 4:45 am

I am also concerned by the lack on intellect of some people... also the refusal to accept knowledge, or denying something is true while accepting all the benefits that can only occur if the thing they deny is true.....

People that Generalise and Group things, people that take a few cases and then actually believe that they can extrapolate that to make a judgement on all of a Large Multi-subset group.....


Also So few people properly understand statistical mathematics  Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad 

_________________
My job is to travel the world delivering Chaos and Candy.

We don't know the Questions... does that means we cannot seek the Answers?
veya_victaous
veya_victaous
The Mod Loki, Minister of Chaos & Candy, Emperor of the Southern Realms, Captain Kangaroo

Posts : 19095
Join date : 2013-01-23
Age : 36
Location : Australia

View user profile

Back to top Go down

I worry about how dumb people are today. - Page 2 Empty Re: I worry about how dumb people are today.

Post by veya_victaous on Tue May 20, 2014 4:49 am

Ben_Reilly wrote:
Original Quill wrote:Go back to the discussion on Internet making people more apt to become combative.  Because I just saw a TV show on how people may be naturally becoming addictive...such that booze and drugs are a "natural" need for the body...like, say, food and water.

Don't know if I'm making sense, but I do think there is something there.

Anyway, nite.  Chat in AM.

Makes sense to me, it's just like how people become such assholes in their cars when they feel isolated from the other drivers. And ... anger is addictive, it increases adrenaline and creates a sort of "high."

I don't know that the perception that people are more dumb than they used to be is any more valid, though, than the perception that there's more violence, more natural disasters, etc. than there used to be. Media reporting can warp your perception that way, where because things are reported on more than they used to be, we falsely perceive them as happening more often than before.

Well we do get smarter on standardised tests, it is called the Flynn effect

http://www.princeton.edu/~achaney/tmve/wiki100k/docs/Flynn_effect.html

And statistically violent crime has gone gown in the western world

_________________
My job is to travel the world delivering Chaos and Candy.

We don't know the Questions... does that means we cannot seek the Answers?
veya_victaous
veya_victaous
The Mod Loki, Minister of Chaos & Candy, Emperor of the Southern Realms, Captain Kangaroo

Posts : 19095
Join date : 2013-01-23
Age : 36
Location : Australia

View user profile

Back to top Go down

I worry about how dumb people are today. - Page 2 Empty Re: I worry about how dumb people are today.

Post by eddie on Tue May 20, 2014 8:07 am

sphinx wrote:
Didge wrote:Yes Andy, at least I do not need to use a spell check eh.


Ha Ha You exposed this when you spelt a name wrong using spell check which clearly did not have he correct spelling, so maybe you need that certificate mate.

So while Tess is totally in the wrong, and a bully and goodness knows what else for pointing out someone on a 6 figure salary screwed up their pronunciation that second coming of Jesus called didge is not doing anything bad when he lets loose on a simple forum user for using spell check.

I would call you a hypocrite Didge but the word is not strong enough and you are so far up your own ass you dont even realize it applies to you.


Classic symptoms http://iseeautisticpeople.com/argumentative-asd-symptom/

_________________
I left my soul there
Down by the sea
I lost control here
Living free
- Morcheeba
eddie
eddie
King of Beards. Keeper of the Whip. Top Chef. BEES!!!!!! Mushroom muncher. Spider aficionado!

Posts : 38252
Join date : 2013-07-28
Age : 49
Location : England

View user profile

Back to top Go down

I worry about how dumb people are today. - Page 2 Empty Re: I worry about how dumb people are today.

Post by eddie on Tue May 20, 2014 8:09 am

sphinx wrote:
Didge wrote:



You stated you have expectations, talk about now again trying to divert the debate.


You set yourself up for big falls by having such high expectations, but if you wish to bow out gracefully from the debate as seen, be my guest!

I dont know if bored with the same old "I am right and everyone else is wrong because I say so" is bowing out gracefully - then again I can leave the debate without needing to announce I am going to the pub or out or somewhere before failing to go out and carrying on posting regardless.


http://iseeautisticpeople.com/argumentative-asd-symptom/

I'm not kidding

_________________
I left my soul there
Down by the sea
I lost control here
Living free
- Morcheeba
eddie
eddie
King of Beards. Keeper of the Whip. Top Chef. BEES!!!!!! Mushroom muncher. Spider aficionado!

Posts : 38252
Join date : 2013-07-28
Age : 49
Location : England

View user profile

Back to top Go down

I worry about how dumb people are today. - Page 2 Empty Re: I worry about how dumb people are today.

Post by Guest on Tue May 20, 2014 8:09 am

And its 08:09 and eddie is off and running, place your bets please.

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

I worry about how dumb people are today. - Page 2 Empty Re: I worry about how dumb people are today.

Post by Guest on Tue May 20, 2014 8:11 am

Ben_Reilly wrote:
Original Quill wrote:Go back to the discussion on Internet making people more apt to become combative.  Because I just saw a TV show on how people may be naturally becoming addictive...such that booze and drugs are a "natural" need for the body...like, say, food and water.

Don't know if I'm making sense, but I do think there is something there.

Anyway, nite.  Chat in AM.

Makes sense to me, it's just like how people become such assholes in their cars when they feel isolated from the other drivers. And ... anger is addictive, it increases adrenaline and creates a sort of "high."

I don't know that the perception that people are more dumb than they used to be is any more valid, though, than the perception that there's more violence, more natural disasters, etc. than there used to be. Media reporting can warp your perception that way, where because things are reported on more than they used to be, we falsely perceive them as happening more often than before.


It is abundant the collective arguments portrayed on here Ben and the media is one of the worst for playing up to people's fear, we see this daily.
It shows people are sadly led by fear but as stated this does rise after recessions.

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

I worry about how dumb people are today. - Page 2 Empty Re: I worry about how dumb people are today.

Post by Ben Reilly on Tue May 20, 2014 8:15 am

Didge wrote:
Ben_Reilly wrote:
Original Quill wrote:Go back to the discussion on Internet making people more apt to become combative.  Because I just saw a TV show on how people may be naturally becoming addictive...such that booze and drugs are a "natural" need for the body...like, say, food and water.

Don't know if I'm making sense, but I do think there is something there.

Anyway, nite.  Chat in AM.

Makes sense to me, it's just like how people become such assholes in their cars when they feel isolated from the other drivers. And ... anger is addictive, it increases adrenaline and creates a sort of "high."

I don't know that the perception that people are more dumb than they used to be is any more valid, though, than the perception that there's more violence, more natural disasters, etc. than there used to be. Media reporting can warp your perception that way, where because things are reported on more than they used to be, we falsely perceive them as happening more often than before.


It is abundant the collective arguments portrayed on here Ben and the media is one of the worst for playing up to people's fear, we see this daily.
It shows  people are sadly led by fear but as stated this does rise after recessions.

And it makes sense if you understand the media industry. If you look at that industry, all the media -- TV, radio, newspapers, and yes even websites -- are fighting for a diminishing share of the market. If you could make an addictive product and get away with it (and you had no scruples), it would only make sense that you'd do what the news media does to maximize profits. And yeah, I've been a member of it for, God, 18 years now. But I report on kids playing sports Smile

_________________
Happiness is when what you think, what you say and what you do are in harmony.

-Ghandi
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly
Cowboy King. Dread Pirate of the Guadalupe. Enemy of the American people.

Posts : 26411
Join date : 2013-01-19
Age : 44
Location : Tesco's

View user profile http://www.newsfixboard.com

Back to top Go down

I worry about how dumb people are today. - Page 2 Empty Re: I worry about how dumb people are today.

Post by Guest on Tue May 20, 2014 8:18 am

Ben_Reilly wrote:
Didge wrote:


It is abundant the collective arguments portrayed on here Ben and the media is one of the worst for playing up to people's fear, we see this daily.
It shows  people are sadly led by fear but as stated this does rise after recessions.

And it makes sense if you understand the media industry. If you look at that industry, all the media -- TV, radio, newspapers, and yes even websites -- are fighting for a diminishing share of the market. If you could make an addictive product and get away with it (and you had no scruples), it would only make sense that you'd do what the news media does to maximize profits. And yeah, I've been a member of it for, God, 18 years now. But I report on kids playing sports Smile


Sport though to me brings about passion, excitement, heartache and many other fascinating aspects of following sport and even can in many cases inspire. Sadly it is tarnish sometimes with problems, but is one area of the media I enjoy and like

 ::D:: 

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

I worry about how dumb people are today. - Page 2 Empty Re: I worry about how dumb people are today.

Post by Ben Reilly on Tue May 20, 2014 8:22 am

Didge wrote:
Ben_Reilly wrote:
Didge wrote:


It is abundant the collective arguments portrayed on here Ben and the media is one of the worst for playing up to people's fear, we see this daily.
It shows  people are sadly led by fear but as stated this does rise after recessions.

And it makes sense if you understand the media industry. If you look at that industry, all the media -- TV, radio, newspapers, and yes even websites -- are fighting for a diminishing share of the market. If you could make an addictive product and get away with it (and you had no scruples), it would only make sense that you'd do what the news media does to maximize profits. And yeah, I've been a member of it for, God, 18 years now. But I report on kids playing sports Smile


Sport though to me brings about passion, excitement, heartache and many other fascinating aspects of following sport and even can in many cases inspire. Sadly it is tarnish sometimes with problems, but is one area of the media I enjoy and like

 ::D:: 

I do like it quite a bit. We did a story on a softball player a few years ago -- sort of like baseball for girls? -- and her mother wrote me afterward. She said her daughter had become more confident after the story was published, started playing even better, and ended up winning a university scholarship.

Not to be a sap or anything, but I'd probably have traded 10 paychecks for that Smile

_________________
Happiness is when what you think, what you say and what you do are in harmony.

-Ghandi
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly
Cowboy King. Dread Pirate of the Guadalupe. Enemy of the American people.

Posts : 26411
Join date : 2013-01-19
Age : 44
Location : Tesco's

View user profile http://www.newsfixboard.com

Back to top Go down

I worry about how dumb people are today. - Page 2 Empty Re: I worry about how dumb people are today.

Post by Guest on Tue May 20, 2014 8:27 am

Ben_Reilly wrote:
Didge wrote:


Sport though to me brings about passion, excitement, heartache and many other fascinating aspects of following sport and even can in many cases inspire. Sadly it is tarnish sometimes with problems, but is one area of the media I enjoy and like

 ::D:: 

I do like it quite a bit. We did a story on a softball player a few years ago -- sort of like baseball for girls? -- and her mother wrote me afterward. She said her daughter had become more confident after the story was published, started playing even better, and ended up winning a university scholarship.

Not to be a sap or anything, but I'd probably have traded 10 paychecks for that Smile


That is what I love most Ben, inspirational stories, they give you a buss and also great joy others can benefit so much from great words of encouragement, even more so when printed in the press. Sport does give way more stories to me of joy, dependent on the winners of course, but more so than your average daily news or like yours when they inspire. I also think if more people followed sport they would enjoy far greater happiness with the joys it brings, though also have to deal with its bangs at losses, but they go part and parcel in the great thrill that sports does bring. I have hated my team lose to their rivals Spurs, to be laughing and joking with my mates who support them later, taking all the barracking and mick take which is part of the fun.


Hold my hand up to you for that as just to inspire one person is monumental and an achievement to be very proud of mate. Hats off to you Sir.

 ::D::

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

I worry about how dumb people are today. - Page 2 Empty Re: I worry about how dumb people are today.

Post by Ben Reilly on Tue May 20, 2014 8:48 am

Didge wrote:
Ben_Reilly wrote:
Didge wrote:


Sport though to me brings about passion, excitement, heartache and many other fascinating aspects of following sport and even can in many cases inspire. Sadly it is tarnish sometimes with problems, but is one area of the media I enjoy and like

 ::D:: 

I do like it quite a bit. We did a story on a softball player a few years ago -- sort of like baseball for girls? -- and her mother wrote me afterward. She said her daughter had become more confident after the story was published, started playing even better, and ended up winning a university scholarship.

Not to be a sap or anything, but I'd probably have traded 10 paychecks for that Smile


That is what I love most Ben, inspirational stories, they give you a buss and also great joy others can benefit so much from great words of encouragement, even more so when printed in the press. Sport does give way more stories to me of joy, dependent on the winners of course, but more so than your average daily news or like yours when they inspire. I also think if more people followed sport they would enjoy far greater happiness with the joys it brings, though also have to deal with its bangs at losses, but they go part and parcel in the great thrill that sports does bring. I have hated my team lose to their rivals Spurs, to be laughing and joking with my mates who support them later, taking all the barracking and mick take which is part of the fun.


Hold my hand up to you for that as just to inspire one person is monumental and an achievement to be very proud of mate. Hats off to you Sir.

 ::D::

 cheers  cheers  cheers 

Thanks! And I think you're right, following a team through good times and bad and having friends who hate your team is good practice for everything else. Not to mention a good way for people to unite around things; I even remember back when the Dallas Cowboys were winning championships, seeing racists come around on the fact that several of our best players were black -- they couldn't be as hateful toward black people when Emmit Smith pulled out a game-changing play. I do think sport does way more good than harm.

_________________
Happiness is when what you think, what you say and what you do are in harmony.

-Ghandi
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly
Cowboy King. Dread Pirate of the Guadalupe. Enemy of the American people.

Posts : 26411
Join date : 2013-01-19
Age : 44
Location : Tesco's

View user profile http://www.newsfixboard.com

Back to top Go down

I worry about how dumb people are today. - Page 2 Empty Re: I worry about how dumb people are today.

Post by Ben Reilly on Tue May 20, 2014 8:50 am

Also should mention a great part of that whole thing with the softball player is that we never set out to do that -- we were just doing our jobs, then we found out we'd had this unintended impact. That might be my favorite part of the story Smile

_________________
Happiness is when what you think, what you say and what you do are in harmony.

-Ghandi
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly
Cowboy King. Dread Pirate of the Guadalupe. Enemy of the American people.

Posts : 26411
Join date : 2013-01-19
Age : 44
Location : Tesco's

View user profile http://www.newsfixboard.com

Back to top Go down

I worry about how dumb people are today. - Page 2 Empty Re: I worry about how dumb people are today.

Post by Guest on Tue May 20, 2014 8:51 am

Ben_Reilly wrote:Also should mention a great part of that whole thing with the softball player is that we never set out to do that -- we were just doing our jobs, then we found out we'd had this unintended impact. That might be my favorite part of the story Smile


Blimey, then even more so, makes it that much more special and must make the job very worth while.

Happy days

 cheers 

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

I worry about how dumb people are today. - Page 2 Empty Re: I worry about how dumb people are today.

Post by Guest on Tue May 20, 2014 8:55 am

Ben_Reilly wrote:
Didge wrote:


That is what I love most Ben, inspirational stories, they give you a buss and also great joy others can benefit so much from great words of encouragement, even more so when printed in the press. Sport does give way more stories to me of joy, dependent on the winners of course, but more so than your average daily news or like yours when they inspire. I also think if more people followed sport they would enjoy far greater happiness with the joys it brings, though also have to deal with its bangs at losses, but they go part and parcel in the great thrill that sports does bring. I have hated my team lose to their rivals Spurs, to be laughing and joking with my mates who support them later, taking all the barracking and mick take which is part of the fun.


Hold my hand up to you for that as just to inspire one person is monumental and an achievement to be very proud of mate. Hats off to you Sir.

 ::D::

 cheers  cheers  cheers 

Thanks! And I think you're right, following a team through good times and bad and having friends who hate your team is good practice for everything else. Not to mention a good way for people to unite around things; I even remember back when the Dallas Cowboys were winning championships, seeing racists come around on the fact that several of our best players were black -- they couldn't be as hateful toward black people when Emmit Smith pulled out a game-changing play. I do think sport does way more good than harm.


The same thing helped here in this country with black players, at first they received bad abuse, but when they started to score great goals and their teams win, those prejudices tended to fade away, not completely, but many saw past how they were and changed.

Another big plus for Sports, how it can help change perceptions.

Anyway over the moon because Arsenal won the FA Cup.

 cheers 


Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

I worry about how dumb people are today. - Page 2 Empty Re: I worry about how dumb people are today.

Post by Ben Reilly on Tue May 20, 2014 9:09 am

Didge wrote:
Ben_Reilly wrote:
Didge wrote:


That is what I love most Ben, inspirational stories, they give you a buss and also great joy others can benefit so much from great words of encouragement, even more so when printed in the press. Sport does give way more stories to me of joy, dependent on the winners of course, but more so than your average daily news or like yours when they inspire. I also think if more people followed sport they would enjoy far greater happiness with the joys it brings, though also have to deal with its bangs at losses, but they go part and parcel in the great thrill that sports does bring. I have hated my team lose to their rivals Spurs, to be laughing and joking with my mates who support them later, taking all the barracking and mick take which is part of the fun.


Hold my hand up to you for that as just to inspire one person is monumental and an achievement to be very proud of mate. Hats off to you Sir.

 ::D::

 cheers  cheers  cheers 

Thanks! And I think you're right, following a team through good times and bad and having friends who hate your team is good practice for everything else. Not to mention a good way for people to unite around things; I even remember back when the Dallas Cowboys were winning championships, seeing racists come around on the fact that several of our best players were black -- they couldn't be as hateful toward black people when Emmit Smith pulled out a game-changing play. I do think sport does way more good than harm.


The same thing helped here in this country with black players, at first they received bad abuse, but when they started to score great goals and their teams win, those prejudices tended to fade away, not completely, but many saw past how they were and changed.

Another big plus for Sports, how it can help change perceptions.

Anyway over the moon because Arsenal won the FA Cup.

 cheers 


I bet! I've always felt like something of a fraud for cheering on any Premier League team, being from Texas, but I've always sort of supported Liverpool, because of the Beatles Smile

_________________
Happiness is when what you think, what you say and what you do are in harmony.

-Ghandi
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly
Cowboy King. Dread Pirate of the Guadalupe. Enemy of the American people.

Posts : 26411
Join date : 2013-01-19
Age : 44
Location : Tesco's

View user profile http://www.newsfixboard.com

Back to top Go down

I worry about how dumb people are today. - Page 2 Empty Re: I worry about how dumb people are today.

Post by Guest on Tue May 20, 2014 12:12 pm

Ben_Reilly wrote:
Didge wrote:


The same thing helped here in this country with black players, at first they received bad abuse, but when they started to score great goals and their teams win, those prejudices tended to fade away, not completely, but many saw past how they were and changed.

Another big plus for Sports, how it can help change perceptions.

Anyway over the moon because Arsenal won the FA Cup.

 cheers 


I bet! I've always felt like something of a fraud for cheering on any Premier League team, being from Texas, but I've always sort of supported Liverpool, because of the Beatles Smile


They did blow it in the end Liverpool, they had it for the taking and then I guess pressure got to them in the last few games, though am sure they will take much from the season and learn from it.

This makes a good what if which makes an interesting debate followed by another article whether we should have teams with half born home talent:


Man City would have been relegated if only goals scored by English players counted

http://www.101greatgoals.com/blog/if-the-only-goals-that-counted-were-the-ones-scored-by-english-players-manchester-city-would-have-been-relegated-ny-times/



[size=32]Premier League 'Half-English' Rule Would Seriously Damage Division's Reputation[/size]

http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/joe-difford/premier-league-rules_b_5323275.html

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Back to top


 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum