That's not Bar-B-Que

View previous topic View next topic Go down

That's not Bar-B-Que

Post by Original Quill on Sun May 11, 2014 4:46 am

Today is mother's day, traditional day of the backyard Bar-B-Que meal.  So I thought I'd comment.

Bar-B-Qued hamburgers?  Hamburgers?  I just saw a sign as such.  Bar-B-Que meat is smoked.  Hamburgers are grilled.  How could they confuse the two?  Well, I'll tell you.

Bar-B-Que was originally pork.  It came from around the Virginia/North Carolina Appalachian region.  Originally they smoked the whole hog in a vinegar-based sauce.  Subsequently it moved to Memphis, where it was served as pulled pork shoulder, doused in sweet tomato-based sauce and eaten on its own or as a sandwich.

But then the Texas cows entered the picture.  The old cattle drives ended it Kansas City, or perhaps Dodge City and environs, and the meat for Bar-B-Que became beef.  Kansas City is still the steak capitol of the world.  But they love Beef ribs cooked in a dry rub.  That's a Kansas City Bar-B-Que.

Then there's Texas:

Time wrote:Texans dig beef. Eastern Texas' relative proximity to Tennessee puts it in the pulled-pork camp, but in the western segment of the Lone Star State, you're likely to find mesquite-grilled "cowboy-style" brisket. Locals defend their region's cooking style with the sort of fierce loyalty usually reserved for die-hard sports fans.

But grillin' ain't Bar-B-Que.  I think Texas is where they confused the two.  Because they would prepare relatively cheap meats--usually brisket of beef--by smoking it or beef ribs, then go ahead and grill it, it became the Texas Bar-B-Que.

But grillin' ain't Bar-B-Que and someone ought to set them Texas dudes straight. Bar-B-Que is smokin'...grillin' is, well, grillin'.

Terrorism: "..many fine people, on many sides" ― Donald Trump, Charlottesville, 8.15.17

"Work for America to fail whenever the other party is in power."
― Republican Senator Majority Leader Mitch McConnell
Original Quill

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: That's not Bar-B-Que

Post by Ben Reilly on Sun May 11, 2014 6:46 am

Tomato, to-MAH-toe Smile Let's eat!

Cory Doctorow, Walkaway
Ben Reilly
Cowboy King. Dread Pirate of the Guadalupe. Enemy of the American People.

View user profile http://www.newsfixboard.com

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie on Sun May 11, 2014 7:17 am

Happy Mother's Day to all the USA mothers!

~ Charles F. Kettering
eddie
king of beards. Keeper of the Whip. head cook and bottle washer. Senior mushroom muncher

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Reilly on Sun May 11, 2014 7:22 am

eddie wrote:Happy Mother's Day to all the USA mothers!

I'm really hoping I can pull off the surprise I plan for my mom tomorrow. Hint -- it entails work that is better left to a licensed electrician. I may die.

OK, probably not, but I may get shocked Smile

Cory Doctorow, Walkaway
Ben Reilly

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie on Sun May 11, 2014 7:25 am

Ben_Reilly wrote:

I'm really hoping I can pull off the surprise I plan for my mom tomorrow. Hint -- it entails work that is better left to a licensed electrician. I may die.

Whatever it is I hope she enjoys it and has a lovely day.
Good Mums are important.

~ Charles F. Kettering
eddie
king of beards. Keeper of the Whip. head cook and bottle washer. Senior mushroom muncher

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Reilly on Sun May 11, 2014 7:26 am

eddie wrote:
Ben_Reilly wrote:

Whatever it is I hope she enjoys it and has a lovely day.
Good Mums are important.

Agreed! Here's a Mother's Day vid from one of my favorite YouTubers, I thought it was quite heartwarming:

Cory Doctorow, Walkaway
Ben Reilly

Back to top Go down

Post by Irn Bru on Sun May 11, 2014 8:48 am

How is it that most times at a Bar 'B' Que it is a man wearing an apron who is in charge and doing the cooking and running around with his spatula and his tongs in his hands as if it was an everyday event inside the kitchen as well Laughing

Anyway, happy Mums day to all Mums in America.

Friedrich Hayek

In other words a bunch of cap-doffers and forelock tuggers.
Irn Bru
The Tartan terror. Keeper of the royal sporran. Chief Haggis Hunter

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Sun May 11, 2014 11:12 am

Yep, happy Mum's Day to all Mums in America, Cass being the most important one!

Back to top Go down

Post by Cass on Sun May 11, 2014 3:39 pm

Sassy wrote:Yep, happy Mum's Day to all Mums in America, Cass being the most important one!

Aww sniff...cheers lovey.....got my flowers last night since I will be at work and 2 yes 2 boxes of ferrero crochet...ive also been promised another charm for my bracelet....I'm a lucky gal....apart from sitting here trying to wake up gently and Liverpool are losing.....cant wait to hug my own mum soon.

To all the mums on here have a glorious day xxx

Now quill about this BBQ.....thanks a bunch cause I will be drooling all day. Hmph.

Nerd Queen
Nerd Queen

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie on Sun May 11, 2014 3:40 pm

Cass wrote:
Sassy wrote:Yep, happy Mum's Day to all Mums in America, Cass being the most important one!

Aww sniff...cheers lovey.....got my flowers last night since I will be at work and 2 yes 2 boxes of ferrero crochet...ive also been promised another charm for my bracelet....I'm a lucky gal....apart from sitting here trying to wake up gently and Liverpool are losing.....cant wait to hug my own mum soon.

Now quill about this BBQ.....thanks a bunch cause I will be drooling all day. Hmph.

What bracelet do you have Cass? I'm mad about bracelets lol

Happy Mother's Day to you and your mum xxx

Bet she gets some bloody cookies though grumble grumble..... Evil or Very Mad 

~ Charles F. Kettering
eddie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Cass on Sun May 11, 2014 3:52 pm

eddie wrote:
Cass wrote:

Pandora eds.....I have a bride & groom, footieball, doubledecker bus with union jack, crown and a daisy ball. Its lovely. The only bracelet I want to or ever have worn on a regular basis.

Happy mothers day to you....hope your mum is doing good now (hint that means update lady)

Nah my mum gets Yorkshires instead of cookies Smile xxx

Nerd Queen
Nerd Queen

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Sun May 11, 2014 4:02 pm

Cass wrote:

Happy Mothers Day !
Im going to have an unhappy lad coming home

Im a fan of the Toon so what can I say

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie on Sun May 11, 2014 4:05 pm

Cass wrote:
eddie wrote:

Pandora eds.....I have a bride & groom, footieball,  doubledecker bus with union jack, crown and a daisy ball. Its lovely. The only bracelet I want to or ever have worn on a regular basis.

Happy mothers day to you....hope your mum is doing good now (hint that means update lady)

Nah my mum gets Yorkshires instead of cookies :)xxx

I have pandora too  cheers 

Check out Annie Haak jewellery, it's beautiful!

Mum is doing Much better thanks, she's slowly getting there, her eating is much better though she has a constant sweet taste in her mouth?

~ Charles F. Kettering
eddie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Sun May 11, 2014 4:06 pm

Cass wrote:
eddie wrote:

Pandora eds.....I have a bride & groom, footieball,  doubledecker bus with union jack, crown and a daisy ball. Its lovely. The only bracelet I want to or ever have worn on a regular basis.

I bought daughter one of those they are gorgeous bracelets she has a couple of lovely ones.

Poor Edds still cookie less
 Razz 

Back to top Go down

Post by David on Sun May 11, 2014 4:35 pm

Yes Happy Mothers Day in the USA xxxx

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie on Sun May 11, 2014 4:41 pm

Nems wrote:
Cass wrote:

I bought daughter one of those they are gorgeous bracelets she has a couple of lovely ones.

Razz 

Well that's not nice is it? Mocking the cookie-less people  Sad 

~ Charles F. Kettering
eddie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Sun May 11, 2014 4:49 pm

eddie wrote:
Nems wrote:

Razz 

Im sorry Edds I should have realised some wounds run deep and being deprived of ones cookie quota is just not on x

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie on Sun May 11, 2014 5:03 pm

Nems wrote:
eddie wrote:

Im sorry Edds I should have realised some wounds run deep and being deprived of ones cookie quota is just not on x

S'not fair nems  Sad 

~ Charles F. Kettering
eddie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Sun May 11, 2014 5:06 pm

eddie wrote:
Nems wrote:

S'not fair nems   Sad 

S'not at all, but Cass is refusing to budge and your pleas have fallen on stony ground  Sad 

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie on Sun May 11, 2014 5:38 pm

Nems wrote:
eddie wrote:

S'not fair nems   Sad 

S'not at all, but Cass is refusing to budge and your pleas have fallen on stony ground  Sad 

Gonna stalk her
Don't tell her  Suspect 

~ Charles F. Kettering
eddie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Sun May 11, 2014 6:01 pm

eddie wrote:
Nems wrote:

Gonna stalk her
Don't tell her  Suspect 

Back to top Go down

Post by David on Sun May 11, 2014 6:22 pm

Nems wrote:
eddie wrote:

Gonna stalk her
Don't tell her  Suspect 

HAHAHAHA you are funny lol  lol! 
David

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Original Quill on Sun May 11, 2014 7:09 pm

First, happy mother's day right back at ya, England, Scotland, Wales and even ye Irish, upper and lower.  Lov mothers...couldn't live without 'em.  (duh)

Second, Irn, it's because Bar-B-Que is so misunderstood that I speak up to correct the injustice.  It simply ain't Bar-B-Que if it hasn't been smoked between 12 - 15 hours.  Smokin' is all ya need...period.  Whether it's pork or beef, is up to you I guess.

The tradition started in Buck Towns (African neighborhoods) in the South.  Because they were poor, they bought the poorer cuts of meat....especially pork.  But poorer cuts could only be made edible by lengthy smoking, and that's the reason why Bar-B-Que is inevitably smoked meat.

Originally, the Bar-B-Que was cooked in the ground, by digging big pits, filling them with hot coals, and putting the meat cuts on top...covering the whole thing with corrugated tin.  It was usually home cooked, but then in Memphis the Black restaurants began appearing, with in-ground pits in the back yard.  Enter the health department.

Then came the age of the smoke ovens, and bigger and bigger restaurants opened up.  Then someone had the great idea of taking spherical floats from war-surplus stores, cutting them in half, putting legs on one half and inventing the Weber outdoor stove.  The other half of the float was fitted on the top and...voila, a portable smoker.  Unfortunately, it also served very well and a grill.  That's where the problems began.

Texans came along with their big, bodacious beefstakes.  Originally, they still smoked them first.  The better restaurants in Dallas/Ft. Worth, San Antonio, Austin and Houston (El Paso is a New Mexico town) still smoke the meat before grillin.  Plus, smoked beef still needs a good grillin.

So the Texas Bar-B-Que was invented.  That's where the guy with a red-n-white gingham apron, tongs and a spatula came from.

Grillin' smoked meat may be a part of the equation, but grillin' without smokin' is a no-no.

Terrorism: "..many fine people, on many sides" ― Donald Trump, Charlottesville, 8.15.17

Original Quill

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Sun May 11, 2014 8:12 pm

Ben_Reilly wrote:

what with that wussey 120v supply YOU guys call electricity  :aspffftas: 

Back to top Go down

Post by Cass on Sun May 11, 2014 9:09 pm

Nems wrote:
Cass wrote:

Razz 

Shush you. Happy Mother's Day xx

Nerd Queen
Nerd Queen

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Cass on Sun May 11, 2014 9:13 pm

eddie wrote:
Nems wrote:

Gonna stalk her
Don't tell her  Suspect 

Ohhh yay....just what I've always wanted....catch me if you can.....I'm a bit slow today cause of all the cookies I've eaten....tra la la

Nerd Queen
Nerd Queen

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Cass on Sun May 11, 2014 9:15 pm

David wrote:Yes Happy Mothers Day in the USA xxxx

Mercy buckets ma fromage x

Nerd Queen
Nerd Queen

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Sun May 11, 2014 9:16 pm

Cass wrote:
eddie wrote:

Gonna stalk her
Don't tell her  Suspect 

Ohhh yay....just what I've always wanted....catch me if you can.....I'm a bit slow today cause of all the cookies I've eaten....tra la la

Back to top Go down

Post by Cass on Sun May 11, 2014 9:18 pm

^^^quill cut it OUT. I have only a measly ham sandwich for lunch. Hmph. That does it the boys are taking me to the roadhouse for some fried pickles , a HUGE margarita and some pulled pork and ribs and its all your fault.

Nerd Queen
Nerd Queen

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Sun May 11, 2014 9:26 pm

Cass wrote:^^^quill cut it OUT. I have only a measly ham sandwich for lunch. Hmph. That does it the boys are taking me to the roadhouse for some fried pickles , a HUGE margarita and some pulled pork and ribs and its all your fault.

What, in the name of Keith Floyd is a fried pickle?

Back to top Go down

Post by Cass on Sun May 11, 2014 9:41 pm

Nems wrote:
Cass wrote:^^^quill cut it OUT. I have only a measly ham sandwich for lunch. Hmph. That does it the boys are taking me to the roadhouse for some fried pickles , a HUGE margarita and some pulled pork and ribs and its all your fault.

Only a slice of heaven deep fried. Google it. Trust me. It's bliss. Would I lie to you? About food? Nevair x

Nerd Queen
Nerd Queen

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Sun May 11, 2014 9:43 pm

Cass wrote:
Nems wrote:

Only a slice of heaven deep fried. Google it. Trust me. It's bliss. Would I lie to you? About food? Nevair x

mmmmm not convinced lol!

Back to top Go down

Post by Cass on Sun May 11, 2014 9:47 pm

Nems wrote:
Cass wrote:

mmmmm not convinced lol!

Peasant. Did yer boy come home happy or sad? Junior cheered up a bit before I left so don't know the scores....only know that Les is out drinking the bar dry somewhere bless him. X

Nerd Queen
Nerd Queen

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Original Quill on Mon May 12, 2014 4:37 am

So, is that the Texas Roadhouse on W. Irvington Rd.? Then get their cinnamon buttered rolls.

Original Quill

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by gerber on Mon May 12, 2014 11:00 am

Had a phone call yesterday from middle son at uni. He was panicking and very worried. Had he missed Mothers'Day ?

I told him yes............... being the loving helpfull mummy  ::D:: 

He was so apologetic and promised to make it up to me when he comes home for the summer....... I let him dig deeper for a few more minutes and then explained it was only in the US and he had rememered mine.

Son not happy....... I had fun though.... cheers 

Just shows that social media messages need to read a little more carefully

Hope you all in the US had a good one.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Mon May 12, 2014 11:25 am

Cass wrote:
Nems wrote:

mmmmm not convinced lol!

Peasant. Did yer boy come home happy or sad? Junior cheered up a bit before I left so don't know the scores....only know that Les is out drinking the bar dry somewhere bless him. X

He was a bit sad bless him lol

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Mon May 12, 2014 11:27 am

gerber wrote:Had a phone call yesterday from middle son at uni.  He was panicking and very worried.  Had he missed Mothers'Day ?

I told him yes...............  being the loving helpfull mummy   ::D:: 

He was so apologetic and promised to make it up to me when he comes home for the summer.......  I let him dig deeper for a few more minutes and then explained it was  only in the US and he had rememered mine.

Son not happy....... I had fun though.... cheers 

Just shows that social media messages need to read a little more carefully

Hope you all in the US had a good one.

lol! 

My kind of parenting!

Back to top Go down

Post by Cass on Mon May 12, 2014 6:29 pm

Original Quill wrote:

So, is that the Texas Roadhouse on W. Irvington Rd.?  Then get their cinnamon buttered rolls.

Yeah that place but not that branch. Margarita and fried pickles were outstanding but they screwed up my order so while waiting I ate too many of the rolls....oh those rolls. When senior lived at home he would go there and get bags of them from his friends who just loved his accent! Hey whatever it takes!

Nerd Queen
Nerd Queen

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Original Quill on Tue May 13, 2014 3:48 am

Haha...that accent.  How much money is that accent worth on this side of the pond?

Remind me to tell you how Hispanics feel about that.

Original Quill

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum