Anybody noticing anything different?

Page 1 of 8 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Go down

Anybody noticing anything different?

Post by Ben Mothafuckin' Reilly on Sat Apr 26, 2014 6:53 am

If I did the update correctly tonight, you shouldn't have noticed much. But the site is now actually quite different, and I imagine we'll lose some new sign-ups as a consequence.

Basically, all the members should now be "Members in Good Standing" -- I did leave a few inactive members off that list, mainly because I had to do them one at a time and couldn't see a reason to upgrade people who haven't posted in a year, or ever, to MIGS status. Being in the MIGS group will mean that the site looks the way it always has to you -- but try logging out and and see how different it is, you can access practically nothing.

This goes in tandem with a new form of punishment here, restricted membership. If you run afoul of the rules, you could find yourself only able to post in "The Basement." If it works the way I tried to set it up (and that's a big "if"), if you got relegated to restricted membership, you would only be able to post in The Basement until you've served your time. MIGS should be able to post there as well, so you won't get too lonely if you get sent there, but you won't be able to post anywhere else. I find this way far preferable to outright banning, a few of which I'd take back if I could.

So, please let me know if you run into any bugs along the way. And as always, please: focus on the post, not the poster. That's the main reason this site was established -- to foster debate and to give everyone the opportunity to learn about how different people see the world.

I love you I love you I love you I love you

- nicko
Ben Mothafuckin' Reilly
Cowboy King. Enemy of the American People. Slimebag Worm, No Moral Bag of Shit

View user profile http://www.newsfixboard.com

Back to top Go down

Re: Anybody noticing anything different?

Post by Guest on Sat Apr 26, 2014 7:11 am

What happened to the Asian News?

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Sat Apr 26, 2014 7:19 am

Ben_Reilly wrote:If I did the update correctly tonight, you shouldn't have noticed much. But the site is now actually quite different, and I imagine we'll lose some new sign-ups as a consequence.

Basically, all the members should now be "Members in Good Standing" -- I did leave a few inactive members off that list, mainly because I had to do them one at a time and couldn't see a reason to upgrade people who haven't posted in a year, or ever, to MIGS status. Being in the MIGS group will mean that the site looks the way it always has to you -- but try logging out and and see how different it is, you can access practically nothing.

This goes in tandem with a new form of punishment here, restricted membership. If you run afoul of the rules, you could find yourself only able to post in "The Basement." If it works the way I tried to set it up (and that's a big "if"), if you got relegated to restricted membership, you would only be able to post in The Basement until you've served your time. MIGS should be able to post there as well, so you won't get too lonely if you get sent there, but you won't be able to post anywhere else. I find this way far preferable to outright banning, a few of which I'd take back if I could.

So, please let me know if you run into any bugs along the way. And as always, please: focus on the post, not the poster. That's the main reason this site was established -- to foster debate and to give everyone the opportunity to learn about how different people see the world.

Good call Ben, none of us want to see any banned and a cooling off period is what is needed for some.

Well done.

cheers cheers 

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Mothafuckin' Reilly on Sat Apr 26, 2014 7:22 am

Thanks, Didge! And Sassy, thanks for pointing out the Asia news problem; it should be fixed now.

- nicko
Ben Mothafuckin' Reilly

Back to top Go down

Post by Cass on Sat Apr 26, 2014 7:31 am

I is gonna grab a helmet and sit in the corner and watch the c*** fly

Good luck ben - trust me yer gonna need it baby x Cool

the Nerd Queen of Nerds, the Lover of Books who Cooks

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Mothafuckin' Reilly on Sat Apr 26, 2014 7:36 am

Cass wrote:I is gonna grab a helmet and sit in the corner and watch the c*** fly

Thanks, Cass. I have noticed that a number of members have been calling for better moderation, and I do hope this helps, as I really do aim to please. I'm always open to suggestions, though, and if something just isn't possible here I'll be happy to explain the limits of our Forumotion technology Smile

- nicko
Ben Mothafuckin' Reilly

Back to top Go down

Post by Cass on Sat Apr 26, 2014 7:39 am

Ben_Reilly wrote:
Cass wrote:I is gonna grab a helmet and sit in the corner and watch the c*** fly

Thanks, Cass. I have noticed that a number of members have been calling for better moderation, and I do hope this helps, as I really do aim to please. I'm always open to suggestions, though, and if something just isn't possible here I'll be happy to explain the limits of our Forumotion technology Smile

May the force be with you

Hey....who's up for an original star wars marathon? I want me a wookie for Xmas.....or a light sabre....I will also take the Millennium Falcon but only if Han is there.......

Ok seriously ......bed.....now...dammit...this is the most fun ive had in Ohhhhhhhhhhhh 15 minutes

the Nerd Queen of Nerds, the Lover of Books who Cooks

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Mothafuckin' Reilly on Sat Apr 26, 2014 7:50 am

Cass wrote:
Ben_Reilly wrote:

May the force be with you

Hey....who's up for an original star wars marathon? I want me a wookie for Xmas.....or a light sabre....I will also take the Millennium Falcon but only if Han is there.......

Ok seriously ......bed.....now...dammit...this is the most fun ive had in Ohhhhhhhhhhhh 15 minutes

In Texas we say, this is the most fun I've had since the pigs ate my little brother! Smile

- nicko
Ben Mothafuckin' Reilly

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Mothafuckin' Reilly on Sat Apr 26, 2014 7:58 am

Oh, should have added that you're in the mood for a SW marathon (most likely) because May the Fourth is next weekend! May the Fourth Be With You  ::lightsab:: 

- nicko
Ben Mothafuckin' Reilly

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Sat Apr 26, 2014 8:40 am

Ben_Reilly wrote:Thanks, Didge! And Sassy, thanks for pointing out the Asia news problem; it should be fixed now.

No Problem Ben, have noticed something though, you can still access any thread when offline, not sure if you meant this or not?????

Edit, no I am wrong, ha ha you cannot access, silly me

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Sat Apr 26, 2014 9:51 am

Oh, not sure about this.

When you're not logged in you can't see the forum any more - most of the time I have a quick look and read to see if there's anything that catches my eye.

So now any new posters will only come from recommendations from current members, therefore no new blood will ever join. It's becoming more and more like those other, closed forums.

I think that's bad.

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggamuffin on Sat Apr 26, 2014 10:02 am

So how do we report people who are breaking the rules or being disruptive? There's no point PMing any of the mods.

"It ain't over 'til it's over"
Raggamuffin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Sat Apr 26, 2014 10:04 am

Raggamuffin wrote:So how do we report people who are breaking the rules or being disruptive? There's no point PMing any of the mods.

Do as you normally do, stamp your feet and scream and scream and scream until you are sick

lol!

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Sat Apr 26, 2014 10:05 am

Raggamuffin wrote:So how do we report people who are breaking the rules or being disruptive? There's no point PMing any of the mods.

Well, if you're half way up their backside you reach out and press their male g-spot.  cheers 

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Sat Apr 26, 2014 10:05 am

Haven't you RWhinged about anyone yet then?  affraid

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggamuffin on Sat Apr 26, 2014 10:21 am

Didge wrote:

Do as you normally do, stamp your feet and scream and scream and scream until you are sick

lol!

Doesn't that negate the whole point of this exercise? It's supposed to stop histrionics.  Laughing 

Raggamuffin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by veya_victaous on Sat Apr 26, 2014 10:26 am

BigAndy9 wrote:

Well, if you're half way up their backside you reach out and press their male g-spot.     cheers 

you sound like you speak from experience  pale pale pale pale pale 

Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing 

We don't know the Questions... does that means we cannot seek the Answers?
veya_victaous
The Mod Loki, Minister of Chaos & Candy, Emperor of the Southern Realms, Captain Kangaroo

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Sat Apr 26, 2014 10:32 am

Ben_Reilly wrote:If I did the update correctly tonight, you shouldn't have noticed much. But the site is now actually quite different, and I imagine we'll lose some new sign-ups as a consequence.

Morning Ben  ::D:: 

I just wondered about the reasoning behind your decision to restrict the viewing of the majority of the Forum to members who are logged in?  

I agree with Andy on this one, I think an open board encourages new members but I do understand why you might want to keep "The Basement" hidden.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Sat Apr 26, 2014 10:34 am

feelthelove wrote:

I just wondered about the reasoning behind your decision to restrict the viewing of the majority of the Forum to members who are logged in?  

I agree with Andy on this one, I think an open board encourages new members but I do understand why you might want to keep "The Basement" hidden.

Thirded.

Why restrict the view of the forum  :\\:[: 

Back to top Go down

Post by veya_victaous on Sat Apr 26, 2014 10:39 am

feelthelove wrote:

I agree too, can you let people see everything but the basement when not logged in
Also make it so that naughty members can only post in the basement when in naughty corner and still let them read everything confused

veya_victaous
The Mod Loki, Minister of Chaos & Candy, Emperor of the Southern Realms, Captain Kangaroo

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by FluffyBunny on Sat Apr 26, 2014 10:47 am

I can't see anything different

Is that a good thing,I have sprained my ankle rather severely and it may have affected my perception  cheers 

FluffyBunny

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by FluffyBunny on Sat Apr 26, 2014 10:48 am

Didge wrote:

lol!

Fair play,that was good  lol! 

FluffyBunny

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by FluffyBunny on Sat Apr 26, 2014 10:50 am

BigAndy9 wrote:Oh, not sure about this.

When you're not logged in you can't see the forum any more - most of the time I have a quick look and read to see if there's anything that catches my eye.

So now any new posters will only come from recommendations from current members, therefore no new blood will ever join.  It's becoming more and more like those other, closed forums.

I think that's bad.

I don't,it stops non members who are just here to spy on people they have history with.

Its a good idea. cheers 

FluffyBunny

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by veya_victaous on Sat Apr 26, 2014 10:51 am

FluffyBunny wrote:I can't see anything different

Is that a good thing,I have sprained  my ankle rather severely and it may have affected my perception  cheers 

you only will if you log out  Wink  so no need to worry just stay logged in  cheers  cheers  cheers 

veya_victaous

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by FluffyBunny on Sat Apr 26, 2014 10:53 am

veya_victaous wrote:
FluffyBunny wrote:I can't see anything different

Is that a good thing,I have sprained  my ankle rather severely and it may have affected my perception  cheers 

you only will if you log out  Wink  so no need to worry just stay logged in  cheers  cheers  cheers 

Grand idea,that is what i must do ::cheerlead:: 

The Basement will become a cauldron of chaos if people who have been arguing are put in there together  lol! 

FluffyBunny

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggamuffin on Sat Apr 26, 2014 11:10 am

FluffyBunny wrote:
Didge wrote:

lol!

Well that's what you normally do.  ::D:: 

Raggamuffin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by FluffyBunny on Sat Apr 26, 2014 11:15 am

Raggamuffin wrote:
FluffyBunny wrote:

I thought you had me on Ignore? cheers 

FluffyBunny

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Sat Apr 26, 2014 11:22 am

Some good ideas Ben, can you just clarify how long banishings to the basement will be for. If they are not the same for everyone dummies will be spat.
Are the rules just what is on the about Newsfix? I cant find any others
Also I dont think having social issues open to view is going to create a positive image of the forum
Cheers  ::D:: 

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggamuffin on Sat Apr 26, 2014 12:08 pm

FluffyBunny wrote:
Raggamuffin wrote:

I thought you had me on Ignore? cheers 

I did last night, and I'll put you on it again if you become too annoying.

Carry on tag-teaming though.

Raggamuffin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Eilzel on Sat Apr 26, 2014 12:48 pm

Got to say I agree with others on not restricting the view Ben, you will put off potential new members but nothing else...

Btw, the scroll bar not appearing unless clicked on is a bit of an irritant, can you change that too by any chance?

"People who fear demons see demons everywhere"

Eilzel
Speaker of the House

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Sat Apr 26, 2014 5:00 pm

FluffyBunny wrote:

So now any new posters will only come from recommendations from current members, therefore no new blood will ever join.  It's becoming more and more like those other, closed forums.

I think that's bad.

I don't,it stops non members who are just here to spy on people they have history with.

Its a good idea. cheers 

For gods sake Fluffy - we know you have history but please can people stop going on about other forums, history and sh1tty years-long feuds!

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Sat Apr 26, 2014 5:18 pm

BigAndy9 wrote:
FluffyBunny wrote:

Its a good idea. cheers 

For gods sake Fluffy - we know you have history but please can people stop going on about other forums, history and sh1tty years-long feuds!

Big Andy who is FluffyBunny? Do we know him/her/it?

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Mothafuckin' Reilly on Sat Apr 26, 2014 5:26 pm

Made a clarification to the rules as well. They formerly read, in part:

Posts that are obviously engineered to insult or provoke other members are not acceptable (action or discipline subject to moderator discretion).

... which now that I look at it, makes little sense because right above it, it says:

It is accepted that discussions will become heated and that insults will be swapped between members

So here's the clarification edit, with another small addition at the end:

It is accepted that discussions will become heated and that insults will be swapped between members, but lines of common decency and propriety should not be crossed:

New topics that are obviously created to insult or provoke other members are not acceptable (action or discipline subject to moderator discretion). 

Likewise, posts that are racist, homophobic or otherwise contain hate speech, or that "dox" another member, are unacceptable, and those who create such posts are subject to discipline including permanent banning. 

- nicko
Ben Mothafuckin' Reilly

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Mothafuckin' Reilly on Sat Apr 26, 2014 5:30 pm

I think you should be able to now; overlooked a few things last night ...

- nicko
Ben Mothafuckin' Reilly

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Sat Apr 26, 2014 5:31 pm

Ben_Reilly wrote:Made a clarification to the rules as well. They formerly read, in part:

Posts that are obviously engineered to insult or provoke other members are not acceptable (action or discipline subject to moderator discretion).

... which now that I look at it, makes little sense because right above it, it says:

It is accepted that discussions will become heated and that insults will be swapped between members

It is accepted that discussions will become heated and that insults will be swapped between members, but lines of common decency and propriety should not be crossed:

New topics that are obviously created to insult or provoke other members are not acceptable (action or discipline subject to moderator discretion). 

Likewise, posts that are racist, homophobic or otherwise contain hate speech, or that "dox" another member, are unacceptable, and those who create such posts are subject to discipline including permanent banning. 

Well Ben with those new rules in mind,all we need is for you,Catman & Didge never to post again & the rules will be fine.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Sat Apr 26, 2014 5:33 pm

Shady wrote:
Ben_Reilly wrote:Made a clarification to the rules as well. They formerly read, in part:

Well Ben with those new rules in mind,all we need is for you,Catman & Didge never to post again & the rules will be fine.

Bless you still upset with not having anything to back you views.

HAR HAR HAR HAR HARD HARD INTERNET WARRIOR SHADY

:-:cawg:-: 

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Mothafuckin' Reilly on Sat Apr 26, 2014 5:34 pm

Shady wrote:

I don't know if you saw the incident, but that is basically the "Drinky's Fake Recipe" corollary Smile

- nicko
Ben Mothafuckin' Reilly

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Mothafuckin' Reilly on Sat Apr 26, 2014 5:41 pm

I think that's bad.

I don't like it either; I'm exploring ways that I can make the threads readable but not reply-able based on this and several other users' suggestions. Thanks!

- nicko
Ben Mothafuckin' Reilly

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Sat Apr 26, 2014 5:45 pm

Didge wrote:
Shady wrote:

And yet another Didge one liner...Brilliant stuff from the site Dept Speaker.HAR HAR HAR!

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Mothafuckin' Reilly on Sat Apr 26, 2014 5:52 pm

Haha, I think I did it!  cheers cheers cheers cheers cheers 

- nicko
Ben Mothafuckin' Reilly

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Sat Apr 26, 2014 5:55 pm

Ben_Reilly wrote:Haha, I think I did it!  cheers cheers cheers cheers cheers 

What did you do?

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Sat Apr 26, 2014 5:56 pm

Shady wrote:
Didge wrote:

And  yet another Didge one liner...Brilliant stuff from the site Dept Speaker.HAR HAR HAR!

Thank you again my little cherub

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Mothafuckin' Reilly on Sat Apr 26, 2014 5:57 pm

Shady wrote:
Ben_Reilly wrote:Haha, I think I did it!  cheers cheers cheers cheers cheers 

What did you do?

Now if you're logged out (or not a member yet) you should still be able to read the topics. I understand what FB was saying about spying, and it is a trade-off, but I'd rather keep the ability for people to look in and maybe take enough interest that they sign up.

I'm happy that it was a pretty simple thing to do. I have to say, this host offers a pretty nice set of forum-building tools.

- nicko
Ben Mothafuckin' Reilly

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Sat Apr 26, 2014 6:01 pm

Ben_Reilly wrote:
Shady wrote:

What did you do?

Now if you're logged out (or not a member yet) you should still be able to read the topics. I understand what FB was saying about spying, and it is a trade-off, but I'd rather keep the ability for people to look in and maybe take enough interest that they sign up.

I'm happy that it was a pretty simple thing to do. I have to say, this host offers a pretty nice set of forum-building tools.

I think that it's a good that we have the ability to view threads without actually logging in or signing up.As I've never understood this secrecy or spying thing.

Claiming that the site is being spied on is plain daft & what difference does it make if people are looking at the site?

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Sat Apr 26, 2014 6:02 pm

Ben_Reilly wrote:
Shady wrote:

What did you do?

Great news, thanks Ben  ::cheerlead::

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Mothafuckin' Reilly on Sat Apr 26, 2014 6:04 pm

Shady wrote:
Ben_Reilly wrote:
Shady wrote:

What did you do?

I think that it's a good that we have the ability to view threads without actually logging in or signing up.As I've never understood this secrecy or spying thing.

Claiming that the site is being spied on is plain daft & what difference does it make if people are looking at the site?

None, just gives some people something to gossip who enjoy that sort of thing ... no skin off my back Smile

- nicko
Ben Mothafuckin' Reilly

Back to top Go down

Post by Angry Andy on Sat Apr 26, 2014 6:08 pm

Didge wrote:
Shady wrote:

Shady is the Captain Pugwash of forums. Or seamen Staines, or Master Bates or Roger the cabin boy.

Angry Andy
Poet Laureate & Traveling Bard of NewsFix

Location : Getting banned is a badge of honour in the fight against far rw extremists.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Sat Apr 26, 2014 6:17 pm

Handy Andy wrote:
Didge wrote:

Shady is the Captain Pugwash of forums. Or seamen Staines, or Master Bates or Roger the cabin boy.

Well if it ain't the site grovel dog.

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggamuffin on Sat Apr 26, 2014 6:59 pm

Ben_Reilly wrote:

Able to what? Can we report posts now? I don't have that button.

Raggamuffin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Mothafuckin' Reilly on Sat Apr 26, 2014 7:03 pm

Raggamuffin wrote:
Ben_Reilly wrote:

Able to what? Can we report posts now? I don't have that button.

You should be able to PM mods now -- please let me know if that's still a problem.

Still looking into the reporting system ... I'll post here when I've decided whether I think it's worth trying it.

- nicko
Ben Mothafuckin' Reilly

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 8 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum