New Zealand to hold referendum on new (and more original-looking) national flag.

Go down

New Zealand to hold referendum on new (and more original-looking) national flag.

Post by *THE Ben Reilly* on Tue Mar 11, 2014 4:26 am

Seriously, it looks just like Australia's:

New Zealand is to hold a referendum on whether to change the national flag, Prime Minister John Key has announced.

Mr Key, who on Monday called an election for 20 September, said the vote would be held within three years.

The current flag shows the Southern Cross constellation and includes the Union Jack - the UK's national flag - in one corner.

Mr Key said the flag represented a period of history from which New Zealand had moved on.

"It's my belief... that the design of the New Zealand flag symbolises a colonial and post-colonial era whose time has passed," he said in a speech at Victoria University.

"The flag remains dominated by the Union Jack in a way that we ourselves are no longer dominated by the United Kingdom."

"I am proposing that we take one more step in the evolution of modern New Zealand by acknowledging our independence through a new flag."

Mr Key said that he liked the silver fern - popularised by national teams including the All Blacks - as an option, saying efforts by New Zealand's athletes gave "the silver fern on a black background a distinctive and uniquely New Zealand identity".

But he said he was open to all ideas and that retaining the current flag was "a very possible outcome of this process".

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-26524132

Jay-Z
*THE Ben Reilly*
Cowboy King. Dread Pirate of the Guadalupe. Enemy of the American people.

View user profile http://www.newsfixboard.com

Back to top Go down

Re: New Zealand to hold referendum on new (and more original-looking) national flag.

Post by Lone Wolf on Tue Mar 11, 2014 9:42 am

Cool 

Replace the Blue Ensign ('Union Jack') with a brown or silver stylised Kiwi.

Easily done !

tongue

Or, for something a bit more extravagant :

Surprised

Lone Wolf

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: New Zealand to hold referendum on new (and more original-looking) national flag.

Post by *THE Ben Reilly* on Tue Mar 11, 2014 3:19 pm

I don't know, the silhouette of the kiwi looks vaguely alien -- I'd favor the fern option Smile

Jay-Z
*THE Ben Reilly*

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Tue Mar 11, 2014 3:27 pm

Tis only a little island off the coast of Australia anyway - I think they should become Australians.

Back to top Go down

Post by *THE Ben Reilly* on Tue Mar 11, 2014 3:32 pm

BigAndy9 wrote:Tis only a little island off the coast of Australia anyway - I think they should become Australians.

Then they'd have to deal with Tony Abbott, and I don't think we wish that on anybody, do we?

Jay-Z
*THE Ben Reilly*

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Tue Mar 11, 2014 3:36 pm

Ben_Reilly wrote:
BigAndy9 wrote:Tis only a little island off the coast of Australia anyway - I think they should become Australians.

Then they'd have to deal with Tony Abbott, and I don't think we wish that on anybody, do we?

"Oh what an atmosphere"

:-:cawg:-:  

Back to top Go down

Post by *THE Ben Reilly* on Tue Mar 11, 2014 3:37 pm

BigAndy9 wrote:
Ben_Reilly wrote:

"Oh what an atmosphere"

Why do you use references that I have Google?

Jay-Z
*THE Ben Reilly*

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Tue Mar 11, 2014 3:39 pm

Ben_Reilly wrote:
BigAndy9 wrote:

"Oh what an atmosphere"

What?

Back to top Go down

Post by *THE Ben Reilly* on Tue Mar 11, 2014 3:41 pm

BigAndy9 wrote:
Ben_Reilly wrote:
BigAndy9 wrote:

"Oh what an atmosphere"

What?

I had to Google that to find out you were referencing some singing comedian's single, released across the Atlantic from me when I was nine.

Jay-Z
*THE Ben Reilly*

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Tue Mar 11, 2014 3:47 pm

Ben_Reilly wrote:
BigAndy9 wrote:

What?

I had to Google that to find out you were referencing some singing comedian's single, released across the Atlantic from me when I was nine.

Oh.

The thing is Ben, and I've told a few people this over the years (Sassy and Lovedust, maybe BigMama, possibly others) - I don't post for your satisfaction, I post for mine.

That's not me being offensive or trying to have a go at you, it's just that I don't need others to laugh, I'm happy enough to find it funny myself.

There could well be a thread about that - why do you come on here? Are you more bothered about what others think about your posting etc etc.

Back to top Go down

Post by *THE Ben Reilly* on Tue Mar 11, 2014 3:53 pm

BigAndy9 wrote:
Ben_Reilly wrote:
BigAndy9 wrote:

What?

Oh.

The thing is Ben, and I've told a few people this over the years (Sassy and Lovedust, maybe BigMama, possibly others) - I don't post for your satisfaction, I post for mine.

That's not me being offensive or trying to have a go at you, it's just that I don't need others to laugh, I'm happy enough to find it funny myself.

There could well be a thread about that - why do you come on here?  Are you more bothered about what others think about your posting etc etc.

OK, so it's sort of like you're choking your chicken here, that's fine. I was just curious as to why you wouldn't write to be understood by a wide audience.

Jay-Z
*THE Ben Reilly*

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Tue Mar 11, 2014 3:55 pm

Ben_Reilly wrote:
BigAndy9 wrote:

Oh.

There could well be a thread about that - why do you come on here?  Are you more bothered about what others think about your posting etc etc.

OK, so it's sort of like you're choking your chicken here, that's fine. I was just curious as to why you wouldn't write to be understood by a wide audience.

I should think every poster bar the outsiders would know what I'm talking about.

We're British, get over it!

Wink 

Back to top Go down

Post by *THE Ben Reilly* on Tue Mar 11, 2014 3:57 pm

BigAndy9 wrote:
Ben_Reilly wrote:
BigAndy9 wrote:

Oh.

I should think every poster bar the outsiders would know what I'm talking about.

Wink 

And that's the thing, I'm not an outsider; I started this forum.

Jay-Z
*THE Ben Reilly*

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Tue Mar 11, 2014 4:01 pm

Ben_Reilly wrote:
BigAndy9 wrote:

Wink 

The fact of the matter is most of your posters are British.

I noticed you said something recently about feeling left out - nobody is chatting in code on purpose.

Back to top Go down

Post by *THE Ben Reilly* on Tue Mar 11, 2014 4:05 pm

BigAndy9 wrote:
Ben_Reilly wrote:
BigAndy9 wrote:

Wink 

I noticed you said something recently about feeling left out - nobody is chatting in code on purpose.

Well, they might consider that while many of the posters here are British, many of them -- including me, Veya, Lurker, groomsy, jaded fox, DrSchool, Original Quill, Lone Wolf and others -- are not British. I for one avoid writing things in a way that wouldn't be understood by our British and Australian members -- just out of courtesy.

Jay-Z
*THE Ben Reilly*

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Tue Mar 11, 2014 4:07 pm

Ben_Reilly wrote:
BigAndy9 wrote:

Well, they might consider that while many of the posters here are British, many of them -- including me, Veya, Lurker, groomsy, jaded fox, DrSchool, Original Quill, Lone Wolf and others -- are not British. I for one avoid writing things in a way that wouldn't be understood by our British and Australian members -- just out of courtesy.

Are you serious?

Are you having a hissy-fit over the way a few people speak on here?

FFS!

Back to top Go down

Post by *THE Ben Reilly* on Tue Mar 11, 2014 4:11 pm

BigAndy9 wrote:
Ben_Reilly wrote:
BigAndy9 wrote:

Are you serious?

FFS!

I'm asking you to be considerate of the fact that this isn't a British-only website, no hissy fit. I'm saying on a site with English speakers from around the world it's polite to make an effort to communicate clearly.

Jay-Z
*THE Ben Reilly*

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Tue Mar 11, 2014 4:19 pm

Ben_Reilly wrote:
BigAndy9 wrote:

Are you serious?

FFS!

I'm asking you to be considerate of the fact that this isn't a British-only website, no hissy fit. I'm saying on a site with English speakers from around the world it's polite to make an effort to communicate clearly.

I do, very clearly!

When jokes are made, they may very well be related to a certain part of the world.

Now, if you want unclear English - go and have a squirrel in JD's, Iron's, didge's lug-hole, guv.

Back to top Go down

Post by *THE Ben Reilly* on Tue Mar 11, 2014 4:20 pm

Should have added, the whole leaving others out thing isn't just about slang, it's largely about people carrying over their petty squabbles from other sites.

Look at it from my perspective -- somebody here creates a new topic and it gets 200-plus replies full of references to things that happened years ago, that you don't know or care about, many of the replies written in slang and references you have to Google just to translate.

Who of the eight people I listed above (and I left out Caution, by the way) are going to give a fuck about it? It's alienating.

Then somebody PMs you: "Right, then, are you going to have a look-in about all this bippity-boppity or are you just going to be a right swotty bumpster and ignore it when your friends are taking the gumpety-humps?"

Jay-Z
*THE Ben Reilly*

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Tue Mar 11, 2014 4:28 pm

I couldn't agree more.

Although having a bit of social banter is necessary. Not squabbles, but banter.

Me personally, I like to stick to British topics.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Tue Mar 11, 2014 4:33 pm

BigAndy9 wrote:I couldn't agree more.

Although having a bit of social banter is necessary.  Not squabbles, but banter.

Of course you do, you poor insular little thing you.    Twisted Evil   ::D::

Back to top Go down

Post by *THE Ben Reilly* on Tue Mar 11, 2014 4:47 pm

Although having a bit of social banter is necessary.  Not squabbles, but banter.

I'm just sick of being called a swotty bumpster.

Jay-Z
*THE Ben Reilly*

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Tue Mar 11, 2014 4:48 pm

Ben_Reilly wrote:

Who has called you a swotty bumpster?  ::lightsab:: ::lightsab:: ::lightsab:: 

://?roflmao?/: 

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Tue Mar 11, 2014 4:49 pm

Ben_Reilly wrote:

Say what?  afro 

Back to top Go down

Post by *THE Ben Reilly* on Tue Mar 11, 2014 4:51 pm

Jes' funnin', y'all.  ::D:: 

Jay-Z
*THE Ben Reilly*

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Tue Mar 11, 2014 5:01 pm

Ben_Reilly wrote:Jes' funnin', y'all.  ::D:: 

Wink 

Back to top Go down

Post by Original Quill on Tue Mar 11, 2014 5:30 pm

Lone Wolf wrote:Cool 

Replace the Blue Ensign ('Union Jack') with a brown or silver stylised Kiwi.

Easily done !

tongue

Or, for something a bit more extravagant :

Surprised

I was disappointed when Canada came up with the maple leaf back in the 60's. I remember at the time, it was proposed that their flag show nine beavers beating on a frog.

"I don't stand by anything."  ― Donald Trump, interview with John Dickerson, 5.1.17...

“That's libertarians for you — anarchists who want police protection from their slaves.” ― Kim Stanley Robinson, Green Mars

Someone is above the rule of law in America.
Original Quill

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by gerber on Tue Mar 11, 2014 6:01 pm

Did the Di[/strike[strike]lodo not die in NZ......

Could be a first on a flag.   Smile

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Lone Wolf on Tue Mar 11, 2014 6:22 pm

BigAndy9 wrote:...........................

...I don't post for your satisfaction, I post for mine.

Arrow 

WISE MEN say, that those wannabe clowns and other buffoons who always have to laugh at their own juvenle attempts at "humour", will most usually do so because they know in their hearts that no halfway-decent persons will be amused by their unfunny comments.    cyclops

Lone Wolf

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by *THE Ben Reilly* on Tue Mar 11, 2014 9:35 pm

This site has some interesting (and horrifying) reader-submitted proposed flags. I don't know, I kind of like the ones that are black and white with the fern and stars ... too many of the more colorful ones look like sports-team logos. And no national flag should EVER incorporate the name of the country on it!

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/image.cfm?c_id=1&gal_cid=1&gallery_id=109084#6823387

Here's one I like:

Jay-Z
*THE Ben Reilly*

Back to top Go down

Post by veya_victaous on Tue Mar 11, 2014 10:25 pm

We if we become one nation they can keep their flag just change the Stars to white and we'd have to change the 1 star we have different as it has as many points as states (and no other meaning)

I propose this as our combined flag

Anzac Unite

We don't know the Questions... does that means we cannot seek the Answers?
veya_victaous
The Mod Loki, Minister of Chaos & Candy, Emperor of the Southern Realms, Captain Kangaroo

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Eilzel on Tue Mar 11, 2014 10:58 pm

lol! NZ is bigger geographically than Britain- more so if the Scots break off  Wink 

I like your thinking though, since we are a little island off the coast of Europe anyway, we should definitely seek further integration with the European Union  Cool

Last edited by Eilzel on Tue Mar 11, 2014 11:06 pm; edited 1 time in total

"The beginning of wisdom is the definition of terms"
Socrates
Eilzel
Speaker of the House

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Tue Mar 11, 2014 11:01 pm

Clever Les, very clever!  lol! 

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Wed Mar 19, 2014 11:10 am

Referendums are against international law according to Obama and Europe

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggamuffin on Wed Mar 19, 2014 11:14 am

Laughing 

It's actually quite a long way from Australia. It's not like nipping over to France from England.  Laughing 

"It ain't over 'til it's over"
Raggamuffin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Wed Mar 19, 2014 11:23 am

I guess the union flag will eventually disappear ..

Back to top Go down

Post by Lone Wolf on Wed Mar 19, 2014 4:36 pm

Raggamuffin wrote:
BigAndy9 wrote:
Tis only a little island off the coast of Australia anyway - I think they should become Australians.

Laughing 

It's actually quite a long way from Australia. It's not like nipping over to France from England.  Laughing 
 Razz 

MORE like nipping over to Germany or Italy...

IT'S still remains less than a four hour flight from Newcastle Airport...

Auckland, Wellington and Christchurch are closer to Sydney, Brisbane and Melbourne than what Perth is..

New Zealand sits on the same continental/seismic/geological plate as Australia, Lord Howe and Norfolk Islands, and New Guinea and West Papua/'Irian Jaya' , Bouganville and the Solomon Islands ~ making it part of the greater "Australasia" region.

Aussies and Kiwis also have a lot of shared history and similar cultures.  Like the Americans and Canadians ~ or the Irish and the Scots..    ::pnchy::

Lone Wolf

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down