HER name is Lady Gaga-ntuan and she was definitely born this way.

Go down

HER name is Lady Gaga-ntuan and she was definitely born this way.

Post by veya_victaous on Tue Mar 11, 2014 2:12 am

http://www.townsvillebulletin.com.au/news/australias-longest-stick-insect-found-near-cairns/story-fnjfzs4b-1226851062539

Scientists from the Museum of Victoria have rediscovered Australia’s longest stick insect near Cairns, during an expedition into the rainforest in January.

Measuring half a metre long, the insect is only the third female Gargantuan Stick Insect (Ctenomorpha gargantua) specimen to ever be found.

Museum Victoria live exhibits keeper Maik Fiedel said the insect, dubbed ‘‘Lady Gaga-ntuan’’, was the Holy Grail of stick insects, with entomologists searching the rainforest high and low since the initial discovery of a large female specimen in 2005.

“Compared with other large stick insects, it’s like discovering a person who is almost 3m tall,’’ he said.

Stick insects have evolved to be extremely well camouflaged.

Mr Fiedel said it could take up to 20 minutes to find the animals on a small plant.

He said the strangest thing about Lady Gaga-ntuan, however, was that the insect had managed to stay hidden for so long despite its size.

“One theory is that it lives in the canopy of the rainforest,’’ he said.

“It’s likely Lady Gaga-ntuan fell from the canopy after a strong gust of wind.”

Since its collection, the long-limbed lady has died, however she still managed to lay 12 eggs which were expected to hatch in coming months.

The insects usually live for nine-12 months, suggesting Lady Gaga-ntuan was naturally near the end of her life at the time of her capture.

Her body is now part of the museum’s entomology collection, and will be the subject of future studies.

We don't know the Questions... does that means we cannot seek the Answers?
veya_victaous
The Mod Loki, Minister of Chaos & Candy, Emperor of the Southern Realms, Captain Kangaroo

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: HER name is Lady Gaga-ntuan and she was definitely born this way.

Post by Lone Wolf on Tue Mar 11, 2014 3:03 am

Surprised   The biggest giant stick insects that I have seen in my backyard here have been maybe 30-35 cm long. Or roughly 60-70% of the size of those "Gargantuan" monsters up in FNQ.

A lot more common though, are the average 10-20 cm long varieties of stick and leaf insects that many people would be more familiar with. The camouflage on them is so effective that oftentimes you can be right next to them and don't see 'em until they move..

The largest that I have encountered down here, that looked a lot like that chappie on that man's arm in the photo', have been on the outside of screen doors and window screens, where they were much more easier to see.  

Cool

Lone Wolf

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by >THE Ben Reilly< on Tue Mar 11, 2014 3:42 am

Holy shit, that name reminds me of some of the pseudonyms our beloved Texas roller-derby girls use ...  ::D:: (Nasty Pelosi, Eva Destruction, Jabba the Slut, Smashley Simpson, etc.)

“As man advances in civilization, and small tribes are united into larger communities, the simplest reason would tell each individual that he ought to extend his social instincts and sympathies to all members of the same nation, though personally unknown to him. This point being once reached, there is only an artificial barrier to prevent his sympathies extending to the men of all nations and races.”

Charles Darwin
>THE Ben Reilly<
Cowboy King. Dread Pirate of the Guadalupe. Enemy of the American people.

View user profile http://www.newsfixboard.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Lone Wolf on Tue Mar 11, 2014 6:32 am

Laughing 

Every 2 or 3 years those Roller Derby organisers send a couple of teams of those girls down here on a tour of he usual pubs, cubs and entertainment venues...

Never been to one of their shows, but like the wrestlers before them, still see more than enough on TV commercials and promotions..   pirat

Lone Wolf

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by veya_victaous on Tue Mar 11, 2014 8:49 pm

we have roller derby girls here, in Sydney and i know Wollongong has a good team too. One of my friends from high school is into it in a big way. I went and watched them play Wollongong  Cool 

We don't know the Questions... does that means we cannot seek the Answers?
veya_victaous
The Mod Loki, Minister of Chaos & Candy, Emperor of the Southern Realms, Captain Kangaroo

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by >THE Ben Reilly< on Tue Mar 11, 2014 8:58 pm

Yeah, I need to head down to Austin, visit my friend there and see if she'll go with me to a match Smile

On the OP, though -- when does a stick bug become a "branch bug?" Damn.

“As man advances in civilization, and small tribes are united into larger communities, the simplest reason would tell each individual that he ought to extend his social instincts and sympathies to all members of the same nation, though personally unknown to him. This point being once reached, there is only an artificial barrier to prevent his sympathies extending to the men of all nations and races.”

Charles Darwin
>THE Ben Reilly<
Cowboy King. Dread Pirate of the Guadalupe. Enemy of the American people.

View user profile http://www.newsfixboard.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down