I Changed The Way I Spoke To Improve Myself

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

I Changed The Way I Spoke To Improve Myself - Page 2 Empty I Changed The Way I Spoke To Improve Myself

Post by Guest on Mon Mar 03, 2014 1:06 pm

First topic message reminder :

3rd March 2014

It's true - when I was around 15 I began speaking differently - I was terrible - "I fink" "I aven't got anythin" etc etc

I just heard a conversation on Radio 2 about it.

Is there anything wrong with wanting to improve yourself to get somewhere or something in life?

Please discuss.

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down


I Changed The Way I Spoke To Improve Myself - Page 2 Empty Re: I Changed The Way I Spoke To Improve Myself

Post by Eilzel on Sat Mar 08, 2014 6:09 pm

kevins58 wrote:
Eilzel wrote:I agree Andy. People speaking clearly is better all round; even if one has to make a concious effort to do so, with time ot would get easier.

It is particularly annoying when someone talks to a foreigner who has learned English well but then makes no effort to speak clearly- as if a foreigner is going to understand a broad northern accent...

I see a northern accent should be eliminated to make it easier for new arrivals to understand us!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I have a northern accent myself numpty (ask FtL she loves it haha). I see you failed basic understand at school- or perhaps an A* in how to twist and dramatize things  Rolling Eyes 

I didn't say that any accent should be eliminated; just that people should speak clearly when appropriate. Which anybody on the less dense side would have found obvious fromt'start  ::D:: 

_________________
"The reactionary is always willing to take a progressive attitude on any issue that is dead" Teddy Roosevelt

"The beginning of wisdom is the definition of terms" Socrates
Eilzel
Eilzel
Speaker of the House

Posts : 7723
Join date : 2013-12-12
Age : 33
Location : Lan Na

View user profile

Back to top Go down

I Changed The Way I Spoke To Improve Myself - Page 2 Empty Re: I Changed The Way I Spoke To Improve Myself

Post by Guest on Sat Mar 08, 2014 7:23 pm

kevins58 wrote:
Joy Division wrote:Thing about Sassy is that while she may have a posh accent, she thinks like an ordinary "one of the boys" and does not look down at folk.

And how do you know she has a posh accent?

Because Les has met me lol

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

I Changed The Way I Spoke To Improve Myself - Page 2 Empty Re: I Changed The Way I Spoke To Improve Myself

Post by Eilzel on Sat Mar 08, 2014 7:38 pm

Hi Sass, I have, and your voice is what I'd call posh (must be a southern thing eh FtL lol) however it was JD who Drinky responded too Razz

_________________
"The reactionary is always willing to take a progressive attitude on any issue that is dead" Teddy Roosevelt

"The beginning of wisdom is the definition of terms" Socrates
Eilzel
Eilzel
Speaker of the House

Posts : 7723
Join date : 2013-12-12
Age : 33
Location : Lan Na

View user profile

Back to top Go down

I Changed The Way I Spoke To Improve Myself - Page 2 Empty Re: I Changed The Way I Spoke To Improve Myself

Post by Guest on Sat Mar 08, 2014 7:46 pm

Eilzel wrote:Hi Sass, I have, and your voice is what I'd call posh (must be a southern thing eh FtL lol) however it was JD who Drinky responded too Razz

LOL, I was just making the point that there is collaboration for the fact thanks Les.  I never consider it 'posh', but everyone I meet seems to think it is, and my Dad would have been very cross in my youth if I had dropped my 'aitches' etc.   Funny thing is, he loves the accent my niece and nephew have who were born and brought up in Newcastle and are real Geordie.


Last edited by Sassy on Sat Mar 08, 2014 8:04 pm; edited 1 time in total

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

I Changed The Way I Spoke To Improve Myself - Page 2 Empty Re: I Changed The Way I Spoke To Improve Myself

Post by Eilzel on Sat Mar 08, 2014 7:54 pm

Fair does Sass, it is a lovely accent though Smile

_________________
"The reactionary is always willing to take a progressive attitude on any issue that is dead" Teddy Roosevelt

"The beginning of wisdom is the definition of terms" Socrates
Eilzel
Eilzel
Speaker of the House

Posts : 7723
Join date : 2013-12-12
Age : 33
Location : Lan Na

View user profile

Back to top Go down

I Changed The Way I Spoke To Improve Myself - Page 2 Empty Re: I Changed The Way I Spoke To Improve Myself

Post by Guest on Sat Mar 08, 2014 8:04 pm

Eilzel wrote:Fair does Sass, it is a lovely accent though Smile

I simply love the Geordie accent, even though I have a hard time understanding them sometimes!

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

I Changed The Way I Spoke To Improve Myself - Page 2 Empty Re: I Changed The Way I Spoke To Improve Myself

Post by Guest on Sat Mar 08, 2014 8:10 pm


I love Geordie. Geordie and Scots.

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

I Changed The Way I Spoke To Improve Myself - Page 2 Empty Re: I Changed The Way I Spoke To Improve Myself

Post by Original Quill on Sat Mar 08, 2014 8:15 pm

Sassy wrote:So Quill, backtracked quick when you realised it made you look racist and thought of an excuse.   What health and safety do announcers have anything to do with?

Hate America, nope, hate American policies that means America thinks it has the right to use the CIA to disrupt other governments because they don't like their policies, hate the fact they think they have the right to take over other countries and make life a misery for the inhabitants, can't stand the hypocrites who think they are non-racist by standing up for negroes but say foul things against Palestinians and Pakistanis.   Hate the fact that America thinks it's ok to take people without trial, hold them for years and torture them, and then has the gall to complain about what other countries do.  

Like most countries, a lot of it's citizens are lovely, a lot of the government stinks.   Only when the American government stinks, it tends to do it all over the world.

Still having problems with loose bowels, sassy?  You, Stephen and (odd grouping) Shady are the biggest America bashers on this site.  I have never heard you say one positive thing about America--something I chalk up to jealousy.  

I Changed The Way I Spoke To Improve Myself - Page 2 Sd-tour-1

When I wrote positively about the San Diego skyline (above), you went of a pages-long rant about how American cities are slums.  Then there's the fact that you hate America's friendship with Israel and support for the Jews.  (The fact that you're anti-Semitic is another matter we can deal with later.)  Same rant about the Irish in Boston.

You now have the audacity to deny it???


Last edited by Original Quill on Sat Mar 08, 2014 8:19 pm; edited 1 time in total

_________________
“Little thieves are hanged, but great thieves are praised.” — Old Russian proverb, offered by Vladimir Putin to Donald J. Trump, Helsinki, July, 2018.

"I don't stand by anything."  ― Donald Trump, interview with John Dickerson, 5.1.17...

Normal is broken.

“That's libertarians for you — anarchists who want police protection from their slaves.” ― Kim Stanley Robinson, Green Mars
Original Quill
Original Quill

Posts : 28366
Join date : 2013-12-19
Age : 54
Location : Northern California

View user profile

Back to top Go down

I Changed The Way I Spoke To Improve Myself - Page 2 Empty Re: I Changed The Way I Spoke To Improve Myself

Post by Guest on Sat Mar 08, 2014 8:16 pm

lovedust wrote:
I love Geordie. Geordie and Scots.

Me too, it was OH's Scots accent that first attracted me to him.

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

I Changed The Way I Spoke To Improve Myself - Page 2 Empty Re: I Changed The Way I Spoke To Improve Myself

Post by Guest on Sat Mar 08, 2014 8:22 pm

Original Quill wrote:
Sassy wrote:So Quill, backtracked quick when you realised it made you look racist and thought of an excuse.   What health and safety do announcers have anything to do with?

Hate America, nope, hate American policies that means America thinks it has the right to use the CIA to disrupt other governments because they don't like their policies, hate the fact they think they have the right to take over other countries and make life a misery for the inhabitants, can't stand the hypocrites who think they are non-racist by standing up for negroes but say foul things against Palestinians and Pakistanis.   Hate the fact that America thinks it's ok to take people without trial, hold them for years and torture them, and then has the gall to complain about what other countries do.  

Like most countries, a lot of it's citizens are lovely, a lot of the government stinks.   Only when the American government stinks, it tends to do it all over the world.

Still having problems with loose bowels, sassy?  You, Stephen and (oddly) Shady are the biggest America bashers on this site.  I have never heard you say one positive think about America--something I chalk up to jealousy.  

I Changed The Way I Spoke To Improve Myself - Page 2 Sd-tour-1

When I wrote positively about the San Diego skyline, you went of a pages-long rant about the slums in American cities.  Then there's the fact that you hate America's friendship with Israel and support for the Jews.  (The fact that you're anti-Semitic is another matter.)  Same rant about the Irish in Boston.

You now have the audacity to deny it???

Many, many people in this world don't like America's relationship with Israel, in fact it looks as it America is not liking it at the moment.   And to disagree with a government cannot be classed as being against a people.   Anyone with any intelligence at all can work that out.   That would make everyone who disagreed with the Republican Government anti American.  

Now, how about we get back to the point in hand.   Would you like to tell everyone that the Stephen you were saying was doing all those horrible things, is not Stephenmarra, because I would hate for anyone to get the wrong impression about him after your obsessive rants about the Stephen on FF, and the fact that you thought 'our' Stephen was the same person.

Oh, and I simply loved white water rafting down the Rio Grande, and already said I adored Santa Cruz.   The fact is, modern buildings a la San Diego leave me cold, give me something with character every time, which is why I prefer something like Tijuana or even the beautiful building in Virginia.   Modern is bland.

I'll overlook the loose bowels remark, as you are American after all LOL

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

I Changed The Way I Spoke To Improve Myself - Page 2 Empty Re: I Changed The Way I Spoke To Improve Myself

Post by eddie on Sat Mar 08, 2014 8:45 pm

Joy Division wrote:Thing about Sassy is that while she may have a posh accent, she thinks like an ordinary "one of the boys" and does not look down at folk.


Erm JD? Are you trying to earn some brownie points or something????  Shocked 

_________________
I left my soul there
Down by the sea
I lost control here
Living free
- Morcheeba
eddie
eddie
King of Beards. Keeper of the Whip. Top Chef. BEES!!!!!! Mushroom muncher. Spider aficionado!

Posts : 38243
Join date : 2013-07-28
Age : 49
Location : England

View user profile

Back to top Go down

I Changed The Way I Spoke To Improve Myself - Page 2 Empty Re: I Changed The Way I Spoke To Improve Myself

Post by stardesk on Sat Mar 08, 2014 8:46 pm

Very much like Sassy, I was born and bred in Suffolk and had a strong Suffolk accent, but my mother's family were Norfolk, so my accent really was like a country yokel. Over the years, and because of work and colleagues, my accents lessened and I spoke/and speak without hardly any accent, but, when in local company I automatically speak local, it just comes out like that without conscious effort. So I speak according to the company I'm in.

JD, unlike the slogan on B. Matthews' lorries we don't pronounce beautiful as 'bootiful.' Agh, hell no, we pronounce it Bewtiful, emphasis on the 'ew.'

_________________
Theodosius Dobzhansky: 'Nothing in biology makes sense except in the light of evolution.'
stardesk
stardesk

Posts : 948
Join date : 2013-12-13

View user profile

Back to top Go down

I Changed The Way I Spoke To Improve Myself - Page 2 Empty Re: I Changed The Way I Spoke To Improve Myself

Post by Guest on Sun Mar 09, 2014 6:22 pm

Eilzel wrote:
kevins58 wrote:

I see a northern accent should be eliminated to make it easier for new arrivals to understand us!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I have a northern accent myself numpty (ask FtL she loves it haha). I see you failed basic understand at school- or perhaps an A* in how to twist and dramatize things  Rolling Eyes 

I didn't say that any accent should be eliminated; just that people should speak clearly when appropriate. Which anybody on the less dense side would have found obvious fromt'start  ::D:: 

I Changed The Way I Spoke To Improve Myself - Page 2 Ashame64 You got me Les I love you x

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Back to top


 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum