London revokes Uber's license, citing 14,000 unauthorized trips

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

London revokes Uber's license, citing 14,000 unauthorized trips - Page 2 Empty London revokes Uber's license, citing 14,000 unauthorized trips

Post by Ben Reilly on Mon Nov 25, 2019 8:18 pm

First topic message reminder :

London's transportation regulator has refused to renew Uber's license to operate in the U.K. capital, saying the company is not "fit and proper" to run a private ride-hiring service. The city says Uber's systems repeatedly allowed unauthorized drivers to pick up passengers.
"We think this decision is wrong and we will appeal," Uber's U.K. division says, adding that 3.5 million people use Uber's app and services in London. Uber's license was due to expire on Monday.
Transport for London says Uber's computer systems "allowed unauthorized drivers to upload their photos to other Uber driver accounts" and take on customers as if they were the Uber driver, something the regulator says happened on "at least 14,000 trips."
All of those rides, according to Transport for London, were uninsured as a result of the drivers' ability to manipulate Uber's systems. It adds that some of those drivers were unlicensed — and in one case, a driver whose license had been revoked by the agency used the security gap to pick up new passengers.

https://www.npr.org/2019/11/25/782559740/london-wont-renew-uber-s-license-saying-unauthorized-drivers-took-14-000-trips

Uber's always been a scam. It's billed as something that lets you make some money if someone happens to want a ride to a place you're already going, or somewhere along your route. But it's obvious that Uber's really a taxi service.
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly
Cowboy King. Dread Pirate of the Guadalupe. Robin Hood of Epping Forest. Fifty Shades of Cray.

http://www.newsfixboard.com

Back to top Go down

London revokes Uber's license, citing 14,000 unauthorized trips - Page 2 Empty Re: London revokes Uber's license, citing 14,000 unauthorized trips

Post by eddie on Wed Nov 27, 2019 1:31 am

Besides, you said I was right about Uber Cool

eddie
King of Beards. Keeper of the Whip. Top Chef. BEES!!!!!! Mushroom muncher. Spider aficionado!

Back to top Go down

London revokes Uber's license, citing 14,000 unauthorized trips - Page 2 Empty Re: London revokes Uber's license, citing 14,000 unauthorized trips

Post by Maddog on Wed Nov 27, 2019 2:20 am

Ben Reilly wrote:
Maddog wrote:

Yes I can

"During 2014 and 2015, 48 licensed drivers were charged with a TPH journey-related sexual offence against a passenger in London, 15 of these were booked through Uber London Ltd."

During two years, 33 reported assaults by non Uber drivers and 15 reported assaults from Uber drivers.

Look, man. When eddie's right, she's right and there's no reasoning with her Wink

Admit it, she's right even when she's wrong. That's how marriage works.

noun

The policy or practice on the part of people in positions of authority of restricting the freedom and responsibilities of those subordinate to them in the subordinates' supposed best interest.
Maddog
Maddog

Back to top Go down

Post by Thorin on Wed Nov 27, 2019 7:01 am

"It's going to hurt the tens of thousands of drivers, as @OwenJones84 points out, that are usually from the minority community, immigrants, who are going to struggle to get work and over three million frequent users of the cab."

https://twitter.com/iealondon/status/1199309381793439751

Video on link

Thorin

Back to top Go down

Post by Maddog on Wed Nov 27, 2019 3:43 pm

phildidge wrote:"It's going to hurt the tens of thousands of drivers, as @OwenJones84  points out, that are usually from the minority community, immigrants, who are going to struggle to get work and over three million frequent users of the cab."

Video on link

Of course it will. And then a corporation, capitalism or the free market will be blamed for the government going authoritarian.

noun

The policy or practice on the part of people in positions of authority of restricting the freedom and responsibilities of those subordinate to them in the subordinates' supposed best interest.
Maddog
Maddog

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Reilly on Wed Nov 27, 2019 4:22 pm

The way I see it is, if taxi companies don't like Uber, they should step up their game -- cut costs and make it easier to hire a cab. They need to sell the public on what makes them better than Uber, Lyft, etc. Explain how the Knowledge of London is better than a GPS. Explain that you can use an app to hire a black taxi, just like you can to hire an Uber (which I think is a big part of its appeal). Advertise.

Uber, on the other hand, should already have cracked down on the abuses that led to 14,000 unauthorized trips. They should do real background checks on drivers and use face recognition to ensure that unauthorized drivers aren't cheating their system.

Uber, like every other business, should not use the public to determine whether its service is safe. By this I mean, there shouldn't have to be a bunch of sexual assaults before Uber decides it's too lax in its hiring process.

I have more of a problem with Uber the company than I do with Uber the service. I've taken a few Uber rides and found them cheap and reliable. But the company treats its drivers like shit, is hoping to replace them all with robots, and doesn't take public concerns seriously enough.
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly
Cowboy King. Dread Pirate of the Guadalupe. Robin Hood of Epping Forest. Fifty Shades of Cray.

Back to top Go down

Post by Thorin on Wed Nov 27, 2019 4:34 pm

Maddog wrote:
phildidge wrote:"It's going to hurt the tens of thousands of drivers, as @OwenJones84  points out, that are usually from the minority community, immigrants, who are going to struggle to get work and over three million frequent users of the cab."

Video on link

Of course it will.  And then a corporation, capitalism or the free market will be blamed for the government going authoritarian.  

+1

Thorin

Back to top Go down

Post by Thorin on Wed Nov 27, 2019 4:35 pm

Ben Reilly wrote:The way I see it is, if taxi companies don't like Uber, they should step up their game -- cut costs and make it easier to hire a cab. They need to sell the public on what makes them better than Uber, Lyft, etc. Explain how the Knowledge of London is better than a GPS. Explain that you can use an app to hire a black taxi, just like you can to hire an Uber (which I think is a big part of its appeal). Advertise.

Uber, on the other hand, should already have cracked down on the abuses that led to 14,000 unauthorized trips. They should do real background checks on drivers and use face recognition to ensure that unauthorized drivers aren't cheating their system.

Uber, like every other business, should not use the public to determine whether its service is safe. By this I mean, there shouldn't have to be a bunch of sexual assaults before Uber decides it's too lax in its hiring process.

I have more of a problem with Uber the company than I do with Uber the service. I've taken a few Uber rides and found them cheap and reliable. But the company treats its drivers like shit, is hoping to replace them all with robots, and doesn't take public concerns seriously enough.

So basically all that should happens is the company needs to make some reforms?

Thorin

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Reilly on Wed Nov 27, 2019 4:48 pm

phildidge wrote:
Ben Reilly wrote:The way I see it is, if taxi companies don't like Uber, they should step up their game -- cut costs and make it easier to hire a cab. They need to sell the public on what makes them better than Uber, Lyft, etc. Explain how the Knowledge of London is better than a GPS. Explain that you can use an app to hire a black taxi, just like you can to hire an Uber (which I think is a big part of its appeal). Advertise.

It would be a good start, at least. What do you think should be done?
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly

Back to top Go down

Post by Thorin on Wed Nov 27, 2019 5:04 pm

Ben Reilly wrote:
phildidge wrote:

It would be a good start, at least. What do you think should be done?

No idea mate, but think this was a poor decision

I agree the company needs to reform

Thorin

Back to top Go down

Post by Maddog on Wed Nov 27, 2019 8:00 pm

And yet the public uses the hell out of them. Funny old world.

noun

Maddog
Maddog

Back to top Go down

Post by Maddog on Wed Nov 27, 2019 8:03 pm

London revokes Uber's license, citing 14,000 unauthorized trips - Page 2 How-go10

noun

Maddog
Maddog

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Reilly on Sat Nov 30, 2019 3:45 am

Maddog wrote:
Ben Reilly wrote:
Maddog wrote:

Yes I can

"During 2014 and 2015, 48 licensed drivers were charged with a TPH journey-related sexual offence against a passenger in London, 15 of these were booked through Uber London Ltd."

During two years, 33 reported assaults by non Uber drivers and 15 reported assaults from Uber drivers.

Look, man. When eddie's right, she's right and there's no reasoning with her Wink

Haha, just saw this but dude, you nailed it 😂
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly

Back to top Go down

Post by Thorin on Sat Nov 30, 2019 3:50 am

Maddog wrote:
Ben Reilly wrote:

London revokes Uber's license, citing 14,000 unauthorized trips - Page 2 1716015268

Thorin

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie on Sat Nov 30, 2019 9:30 pm

Ben Reilly wrote:
Maddog wrote:
Ben Reilly wrote:
Maddog wrote:

Yes I can

Yeah. He’s right under the thumb.
You poor men. Rolling Eyes

eddie
King of Beards. Keeper of the Whip. Top Chef. BEES!!!!!! Mushroom muncher. Spider aficionado!

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Reilly on Sat Nov 30, 2019 11:04 pm

eddie wrote:
Ben Reilly wrote:
Maddog wrote:
Ben Reilly wrote:
Maddog wrote:

Yes I can

Yeah. He’s right under the thumb.
You poor men. Rolling Eyes

We're not wrong  Laughing Laughing Laughing
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum