London revokes Uber's license, citing 14,000 unauthorized trips

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

London revokes Uber's license, citing 14,000 unauthorized trips Empty London revokes Uber's license, citing 14,000 unauthorized trips

Post by Ben Reilly on Mon Nov 25, 2019 8:18 pm

London's transportation regulator has refused to renew Uber's license to operate in the U.K. capital, saying the company is not "fit and proper" to run a private ride-hiring service. The city says Uber's systems repeatedly allowed unauthorized drivers to pick up passengers.
"We think this decision is wrong and we will appeal," Uber's U.K. division says, adding that 3.5 million people use Uber's app and services in London. Uber's license was due to expire on Monday.
Transport for London says Uber's computer systems "allowed unauthorized drivers to upload their photos to other Uber driver accounts" and take on customers as if they were the Uber driver, something the regulator says happened on "at least 14,000 trips."
All of those rides, according to Transport for London, were uninsured as a result of the drivers' ability to manipulate Uber's systems. It adds that some of those drivers were unlicensed — and in one case, a driver whose license had been revoked by the agency used the security gap to pick up new passengers.

https://www.npr.org/2019/11/25/782559740/london-wont-renew-uber-s-license-saying-unauthorized-drivers-took-14-000-trips

Uber's always been a scam. It's billed as something that lets you make some money if someone happens to want a ride to a place you're already going, or somewhere along your route. But it's obvious that Uber's really a taxi service.
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly
Cowboy King. Dread Pirate of the Guadalupe. Robin Hood of Epping Forest. Fifty Shades of Cray.

http://www.newsfixboard.com

Back to top Go down

London revokes Uber's license, citing 14,000 unauthorized trips Empty Re: London revokes Uber's license, citing 14,000 unauthorized trips

Post by eddie on Mon Nov 25, 2019 8:50 pm

Good. About time Uber was seen as the corrupt “business” that it is.

eddie
King of Beards. Keeper of the Whip. Top Chef. BEES!!!!!! Mushroom muncher. Spider aficionado!

Back to top Go down

London revokes Uber's license, citing 14,000 unauthorized trips Empty Re: London revokes Uber's license, citing 14,000 unauthorized trips

Post by Maddog on Tue Nov 26, 2019 12:19 am

Uber worked too well. Governments had to go and fuck it up.

Who's business is it, if I want to ride share with someone?

noun

The policy or practice on the part of people in positions of authority of restricting the freedom and responsibilities of those subordinate to them in the subordinates' supposed best interest.
Maddog
Maddog

Back to top Go down

Post by 'Wolfie on Tue Nov 26, 2019 7:37 am

Maddog wrote:Uber worked too well.  Governments had to go and fuck it up.  

Rolling Eyes

Uber isn't genuine "ride sharing", though...

It's essentially a formalised and feral "taxi pirating" criminal operation, not only usurping local transport services (taxis, buses --  those carrying insurance and paying taxes..), but also giving rapists and thieves wider access to potential victims..

"Libertarian" fuckwit.

The international parent 'Uber' company --  those organising the unlicensed Uber drivers --  should be recognised for the non-tax paying and unregulated criminal operation that it is..

Henry David Thoreau
'Wolfie
'Wolfie

Back to top Go down

Post by Original Quill on Tue Nov 26, 2019 4:19 pm

A "feral taxi" service. Very colorful...so apt. Have a alien!

Laughing

"I don't stand by anything."  ― Donald Trump, interview with John Dickerson, 5.1.17...

Normal is broken.

“That's libertarians for you — anarchists who want police protection from their slaves.” ― Kim Stanley Robinson, Green Mars
Original Quill
Original Quill

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie on Tue Nov 26, 2019 7:52 pm

'Wolfie wrote:
Maddog wrote:Uber worked too well.  Governments had to go and fuck it up.  

Rolling Eyes

It's essentially a formalised and feral "taxi pirating" criminal operation, not only usurping local transport services (taxis, buses --  those carrying insurance and paying taxes..), but also giving rapists and thieves wider access to potential victims..

"Libertarian" fuckwit.

The international parent 'Uber' company --  those organising the unlicensed Uber drivers --  should be recognised for the non-tax paying and unregulated criminal operation that it is..

Totally agree and well said. alien

eddie
King of Beards. Keeper of the Whip. Top Chef. BEES!!!!!! Mushroom muncher. Spider aficionado!

Back to top Go down

Post by Maddog on Tue Nov 26, 2019 9:37 pm

eddie wrote:
'Wolfie wrote:
Rolling Eyes

"Libertarian" fuckwit.

If you don't like Uber, don't use it.

I love it and it provides a great service to me, and I don't need a daddy making sure I'm OK.

See how pro choice I can be?

noun

The policy or practice on the part of people in positions of authority of restricting the freedom and responsibilities of those subordinate to them in the subordinates' supposed best interest.
Maddog
Maddog

Back to top Go down

Post by Maddog on Tue Nov 26, 2019 9:39 pm

It's sorta like drinking non pasteurized milk. It's not anyone's business if someone wants to drink it.

noun

Maddog
Maddog

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie on Tue Nov 26, 2019 9:40 pm

Maddog wrote:
eddie wrote:
'Wolfie wrote:
Rolling Eyes

"Libertarian" fuckwit.

I love it and it provides a great service to me, and I don't need a daddy making sure I'm OK.

You don’t know the effect Uber has had on London. Go and google it.

eddie

Back to top Go down

Post by Maddog on Tue Nov 26, 2019 9:41 pm

eddie wrote:
Maddog wrote:

Is Uber regulated in London?

noun

Maddog
Maddog

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Reilly on Tue Nov 26, 2019 9:49 pm

Uber has also taken a big bite out of the yellow cab business in New York City, to be fair.
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly
Cowboy King. Dread Pirate of the Guadalupe. Robin Hood of Epping Forest. Fifty Shades of Cray.

Back to top Go down

Post by Maddog on Tue Nov 26, 2019 9:53 pm

Maddog wrote:
eddie wrote:

I'll answer my own question.

Yes, like every damn thing you can imagine including cutlery.

It's not regulated here. Ben could be driving for Uber by tomorrow if he wanted (assuming he can pass the background check, and I don't doubt that he can't).

And oddly enough, it's not a problem here. People order a car, get in, and they go where they like for a very reasonable price. And somehow I'm supposed to have an issue with that?

noun

Maddog
Maddog

Back to top Go down

Post by Maddog on Tue Nov 26, 2019 9:53 pm

Ben Reilly wrote:Uber has also taken a big bite out of the yellow cab business in New York City, to be fair.

Fords took a bite out of horse drawn wagons.

noun

Maddog
Maddog

Back to top Go down

Post by Maddog on Tue Nov 26, 2019 9:54 pm

Ben Reilly wrote:Uber has also taken a big bite out of the yellow cab business in New York City, to be fair.

Calculators destroyed the abacus business.

noun

Maddog
Maddog

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie on Tue Nov 26, 2019 9:59 pm

Maddog wrote:
Maddog wrote:
eddie wrote:

It's not regulated here. Ben could be driving for Uber by tomorrow if he wanted (assuming he can pass the background check, and I don't doubt that he can't).

And oddly enough, it's not a problem here. People order a car, get in, and they go where they like for a very reasonable price. And somehow I'm supposed to have an issue with that?      

I only asked you to google something. Google it, or don’t.

eddie

Back to top Go down

Post by Maddog on Tue Nov 26, 2019 10:00 pm

eddie wrote:
Maddog wrote:

I only asked you to google something. Google it, or don’t.

And I'm telling you what the problem is. Believe it or don't.

noun

Maddog
Maddog

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Reilly on Tue Nov 26, 2019 10:02 pm

Maddog wrote:
Maddog wrote:
eddie wrote:

You don't doubt that I can't pass a background check?  Laughing Laughing Laughing

My car's too old for Uber, they don't want my 10-year-old Aveo tarnishing their brand.

Anyway, I think eddie's arguing that Uber is more detrimental to society than it is positive, which should be an important thing to consider as well.

Last edited by Ben Reilly on Tue Nov 26, 2019 10:05 pm; edited 1 time in total
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie on Tue Nov 26, 2019 10:03 pm

It isn’t regulated here. I find that a problem. You can be as hippy as you like about it, but until you see there’s a problem, you can remain ignorant.

I wouldn’t let my teen daughter take an Uber.

eddie

Back to top Go down

Post by Maddog on Tue Nov 26, 2019 10:05 pm

Ben Reilly wrote:
Maddog wrote:

You don't doubt that I can't pass a background check?  Laughing Laughing Laughing

My car's too old for Uber, they don't want my 10-year-old Aveo tarnishing their brand.

Don't you speak Texan?

You're good. I've rode in a few beaters. Didn't bother me. Got me where I wanted to go.

https://www.uber.com/drive/dallas/vehicle-requirements/

noun

Maddog
Maddog

Back to top Go down

Post by Maddog on Tue Nov 26, 2019 10:07 pm

eddie wrote:It isn’t regulated here. I find that a problem. You can be as hippy as you like about it, but until you see there’s a problem, you can remain ignorant.

How can they revoke a license if it isn't regulated? Wink

My daughters have taken hundreds of trips. An Uber is every bit as safe as a taxi or a bus.

noun

Maddog
Maddog

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Reilly on Tue Nov 26, 2019 10:09 pm

Maddog wrote:
Ben Reilly wrote:
Maddog wrote:

Don't you speak Texan?

You're good. I've rode in a few beaters. Didn't bother me. Got me where I wanted to go.

Wow, I didn't realize their regulations were that loose. When I checked a few years ago, I could swear they wouldn't accept a vehicle more than five to seven years old.

But I also have a decent-sized dent in the driver door, so they still probably wouldn't accept it. And I couldn't put other people through the horror of riding in it anyway.

Plus, their ownership is evil.
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie on Tue Nov 26, 2019 10:11 pm

Maddog wrote:
eddie wrote:It isn’t regulated here. I find that a problem. You can be as hippy as you like about it, but until you see there’s a problem, you can remain ignorant.

How can they revoke a license if it isn't regulated?  Wink  

My daughters have taken hundreds of trips. An Uber is every bit as safe as a taxi or a bus.  

Like I said. Google London uber.
Or don’t. And keep talking.

eddie

Back to top Go down

Post by Maddog on Tue Nov 26, 2019 10:13 pm

Ben Reilly wrote:
Maddog wrote:

Don't you speak Texan?

Wow, I didn't realize their regulations were that loose. When I checked a few years ago, I could swear they wouldn't accept a vehicle more than five to seven years old.

But I also have a decent-sized dent in the driver door, so they still probably wouldn't accept it. And I couldn't put other people through the horror of riding in it anyway.

You would be fine, just take a picture of the car in the shadows.

It's not a bad side hustle for someone trying to make a little money on the side, on their own time, when ever they feel like working.

noun

Maddog
Maddog

Back to top Go down

Post by Maddog on Tue Nov 26, 2019 10:15 pm

eddie wrote:
Maddog wrote:

I'm familiar with the problems, and the problems are cause by your government. But they have replaced the church in the minds of many, so I doubt most Londoners will hold them responsible. Sorta like Catholics and their priests.

noun

Maddog
Maddog

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Reilly on Tue Nov 26, 2019 10:16 pm

Maddog wrote:
Ben Reilly wrote:
Maddog wrote:

Don't you speak Texan?

You would be fine, just take a picture of the car in the shadows.

It's not a bad side hustle for someone trying to make a little money on the side, on their own time, when ever they feel like working.

Actually I'm doing great with TaskRabbit, Favor and freelance writing, but thanks.
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie on Tue Nov 26, 2019 10:18 pm

Maddog wrote:
eddie wrote:
Maddog wrote:

I'm familiar with the problems, and the problems are cause by your government. But they have replaced the church in the minds of many, so I doubt most Londoners will hold them responsible. Sorta like Catholics and their priests.  

Your reply is like a nothing reply. I’m done with answering you.

eddie

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie on Tue Nov 26, 2019 10:19 pm

eddie wrote:
Maddog wrote:
eddie wrote:
Maddog wrote:

And. If you’d googled it, you’d know that the people aren’t taking it lightly. So I know you haven’t googled it.

eddie

Back to top Go down

Post by Maddog on Tue Nov 26, 2019 10:21 pm

eddie wrote:
eddie wrote:

And. If the googled it, you’d know that the people aren’t taking it lightly. So I know you haven’t googled it.

I'm sure the indoctrinated aren't taking it well. The thought of Uber probably horrifies them.

noun

Maddog
Maddog

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie on Tue Nov 26, 2019 10:22 pm

Maddog wrote:
eddie wrote:
eddie wrote:

And. If the googled it, you’d know that the people aren’t taking it lightly. So I know you haven’t googled it.

I'm sure the indoctrinated aren't taking it well. The thought of Uber probably horrifies them.

Who are the indoctrinated? And how do you know when you haven’t googled the subject of London Uber, that well?

eddie

Back to top Go down

Post by Maddog on Tue Nov 26, 2019 10:23 pm

"London's regulator has previously moved to cancel Uber's license, most notably in 2017. A judge overruled the agency's decision in the summer of 2018 — but then reissued the license for only 15 months, to see if the company made good on its promises to change. At the time, Transport for London said Uber's methods for handling background checks and reporting criminal offenses were flawed. It also accused the company's drivers of using software called "Greyball" to connect with users in cities where the app and ride service are banned."

^ This is the problem. Over regulation and banning of a service, to protect an outdated industry.

noun

Maddog
Maddog

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie on Tue Nov 26, 2019 10:24 pm

Ah so you have the time to google an article that supports your view, but didn’t google what I asked.

That’s okay. I understand.

eddie

Back to top Go down

Post by Maddog on Tue Nov 26, 2019 10:26 pm

eddie wrote:Ah so you have the time to google an article that supports your view, but didn’t google what I asked.

That was from the OP. Wink

noun

Maddog
Maddog

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie on Tue Nov 26, 2019 10:29 pm

Maddog wrote:
eddie wrote:Ah so you have the time to google an article that supports your view, but didn’t google what I asked.

That was from the OP. Wink

But I didn’t ask you to find a clip from the OP.

Stop it now. It’s boring. I asked you to google something, you won’t, or can’t, and that’s fine.

But I can’t discuss a topic with you when you aren’t even talking about the same thing as me.

eddie

Back to top Go down

Post by Maddog on Tue Nov 26, 2019 10:32 pm

https://www.bbc.com/news/business-50547981

How's this?

I'm not sure what I'm supposed to find that I don't already know.

noun

Maddog
Maddog

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie on Tue Nov 26, 2019 10:36 pm

Try again. Like you mean it.

Maddog, stop trying to be different. It’s like you have become like all those you hate.

I’ll help you, it’s my last effort because I hate it when intelligent people refuse to be intelligent

Google: sexual assaults London Uber, London Uber unregulated, Uber London and the black taxi trade

Don’t be lazy.

eddie

Back to top Go down

Post by Maddog on Tue Nov 26, 2019 10:38 pm

eddie wrote:Try again. Like you mean it.

Maddog, stop trying to be different. It’s like you have become like all those you hate.

I’ll help you,  it it’s my last effort because I hate it when intelligent people refuse to be intelligent

Google: sexual assaults London Uber, London Uber unregulated, Uber London and the black taxi trade

Don’t be lazy.

In line with the Mayor's commitment in the Taxi and Private Hire (TPH) Action Plan, TfL and the police now publish annual data on the number of drivers that have been charged with or summonsed to court for a TPH-journey related sexual offence. The official figures are published annually here: https://tfl.gov.uk/corporate/safety-and-security/security-on-the-network/tph-related-sexual-offences.

During 2014 and 2015, 48 licensed drivers were charged with a TPH journey-related sexual offence against a passenger in London, 15 of these were booked through Uber London Ltd. As of October 2016 five of these had been convicted of sexual assault (not rape), six had been found not guilty and four were awaiting a court outcome.

Figures for 2016 will be published in September this year.

https://www.london.gov.uk/questions/2017/2283

noun

Maddog
Maddog

Back to top Go down

Post by Maddog on Tue Nov 26, 2019 10:41 pm

And stop saying it's unregulated there. It's regulated. Just like all Taxis.

noun

Maddog
Maddog

Back to top Go down

Post by Original Quill on Tue Nov 26, 2019 10:45 pm

Ben Reilly wrote:
Maddog wrote:

Don't you speak Texan?

Curb service, they get in on the other side.  They'll never see the dent.

BTW, a nice young lady (meh, +/- 40) walked up to me in the Safeway parking lot today and asked if she could drive me home.  I could've taken the bus, but I said yes.

Is that like Uber?  She didn't charge anything, but gave me a hug instead.  Laughing

"I don't stand by anything."  ― Donald Trump, interview with John Dickerson, 5.1.17...

Normal is broken.

“That's libertarians for you — anarchists who want police protection from their slaves.” ― Kim Stanley Robinson, Green Mars
Original Quill
Original Quill

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie on Tue Nov 26, 2019 10:51 pm

Maddog wrote:And stop saying it's unregulated there. It's regulated. Just like all Taxis.

Then you didn’t google it properly.
I’m bored now. And I don’t like to keep repeating myself.

Thanks for the insight into your mind. Wink

eddie

Back to top Go down

Post by Maddog on Tue Nov 26, 2019 11:13 pm

eddie wrote:
Maddog wrote:And stop saying it's unregulated there. It's regulated. Just like all Taxis.

Damn woman, I googled "uber sexual assaults London" and posted a link from the government agency that regulates Uber and all taxi companies.

I'm not sure what else I can do.

noun

Maddog
Maddog

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie on Tue Nov 26, 2019 11:17 pm

You can admit that there’s a hell of a lot of sexual assaults on women.

Damn man. Can’t you do that without being a “hippy”?

Laters.

eddie

Back to top Go down

Post by Maddog on Tue Nov 26, 2019 11:19 pm

From the Mayor of London......

"Uber London Limited (ULL) is registered as a private hire operator in London, having met the same pre-licensing requirements in 2012 as any other applicant for an operator's licence and is subject to all legislation which applies to private hire operators in the capital.

It did not take until October 2016 for TfL to discuss with ULL how its booking process worked. TfL had previously engaged extensively with Uber to fully understand their business model, in particular the mechanisms by which bookings are invited and accepted.

As the regulatory and licensing authority in London, TfL keeps all operator licences under review to ensure they continue to meet the requirements for licensing in London."

noun

Maddog
Maddog

Back to top Go down

Post by Maddog on Tue Nov 26, 2019 11:21 pm

eddie wrote:You can admit that there’s a hell of a lot of sexual assaults on women.

Laters.

Yes I can

"During 2014 and 2015, 48 licensed drivers were charged with a TPH journey-related sexual offence against a passenger in London, 15 of these were booked through Uber London Ltd."

During two years, 33 reported assaults by non Uber drivers and 15 reported assaults from Uber drivers.

noun

Maddog
Maddog

Back to top Go down

Post by gelico on Wed Nov 27, 2019 12:27 am

Maddog wrote:

lest we forget

video killed the radio star

Cool

gelico

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie on Wed Nov 27, 2019 12:36 am

gelico wrote:
Maddog wrote:

lest we forget

Cool

Je vais au lit Razz

eddie

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie on Wed Nov 27, 2019 12:52 am

Mais non. Nous apprenons tous

eddie

Back to top Go down

Post by 'Wolfie on Wed Nov 27, 2019 1:00 am

gelico wrote:
Maddog wrote:Calculators destroyed the abacus business.

lest we forget

Cool
Basketball

Pocket knives and slide rules still work efficently --  despite all those 'high tech' alternatives..

And their batteries don't run flat.

Henry David Thoreau
'Wolfie
'Wolfie

Back to top Go down

Post by 'Wolfie on Wed Nov 27, 2019 1:05 am

Maddog wrote:
eddie wrote:

Damn woman, I googled "uber sexual assaults London" and posted a link from the government agency that regulates Uber and all taxi companies.  

I'm not sure what else I can do.  
Rolling Eyes

Break it down into relative proportions, and report the assaults on a 'pro rata' basis...

See how many rapes&assaults/100,000 drivers for each sector..

If your pathetic redneck 3rd world education can handle that  ?

Henry David Thoreau
'Wolfie
'Wolfie

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Reilly on Wed Nov 27, 2019 1:07 am

Maddog wrote:
eddie wrote:You can admit that there’s a hell of a lot of sexual assaults on women.

Laters.

Yes I can

"During 2014 and 2015, 48 licensed drivers were charged with a TPH journey-related sexual offence against a passenger in London, 15 of these were booked through Uber London Ltd."

During two years, 33 reported assaults by non Uber drivers and 15 reported assaults from Uber drivers.

Look, man. When eddie's right, she's right and there's no reasoning with her Wink
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie on Wed Nov 27, 2019 1:29 am

Ben Reilly wrote:
Maddog wrote:

Laters.

Yes I can

Look, man. When eddie's right, she's right and there's no reasoning with her Wink

He knows a sexy Brit when he sees one. Razz

eddie

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum