Welcome to Culture War 2.0: The Great Realignment

Go down

Welcome to Culture War 2.0: The Great Realignment Empty Welcome to Culture War 2.0: The Great Realignment

Post by Thorin on Sat Nov 09, 2019 9:55 am

This is where it gets bizarre.

For six decades or more, America’s political history has been driven by cultural warfare. This is usually traced to the social revolutions of the 1960s, but it began earlier. Culture War 1.0 began in the 1950s as religious enthusiasts sought to win hearts, minds, and souls for Christ in a society that was rapidly liberalizing and secularizing. That is the war that drifted to a whimpering end as recently as 2013, when the Supreme Court handed down culturally significant rulings bolstering the case for same-sex marriage. In 2015, the Court gave same-sex marriage its full endorsement, ruling in Obergefell v. Hodges that restrictions on same-sex marriages were unconstitutional.

By this point, Culture War 1.0 was over. This first culture war was mostly fought over issues of religious faith and morality, such as whether creationism was a viable alternative to the theory of biological evolution and whether limits should be placed on institutionalizing Christian values in the public sphere.

In Culture War 2.0, the supernatural, metaphysics, and even religion more broadly have become irrelevant. The demands of Christian faith and morality have been replaced by something far more threatening to a society founded on Enlightenment principles.

Culture War 2.0 rotates around three axes: 1) the new rules of engagement, 2) the correspondence theory of truth, and 3) the role intersectionality ought to play in everyone’s worldview. Let’s examine each of these features to see how Culture War 2.0 has made allies out of former ideological enemies. Call this The Great Realignment.

https://americanmind.org/essays/welcome-to-culture-war-2-0/

Thorin

Back to top Go down

Welcome to Culture War 2.0: The Great Realignment Empty Re: Welcome to Culture War 2.0: The Great Realignment

Post by 'Wolfie on Sat Nov 09, 2019 9:40 pm

Welcome to Culture War 2.0: The Great Realignment 3489511464

The dingus that wrote that copy for that "American Mind" blogsite doesn't even know the difference between the words "axes" and "axis" (at the beginning of the last paragraph..) -- and the two completely different meanings that they convey.

Henry David Thoreau
'Wolfie
'Wolfie

Back to top Go down

Welcome to Culture War 2.0: The Great Realignment Empty Re: Welcome to Culture War 2.0: The Great Realignment

Post by Original Quill on Sun Nov 10, 2019 8:22 am

I read the underlying full thesis yesterday, when first posted.  The guy seems to be working through a theory of his own, only he is not there yet.  For example, in his section on the correspondence theory of truth:

Culture War 2.0 is marked by one side’s turn toward understanding knowledge as determined by identity markers like race, gender, disability status, and sexual orientation.

It appears the guy has never read Eric Hoffer's The True Believer.  The epistemology hasn't changed; the participants have become more tribal.  The scientific tools to handle this (hypothesis, quantitative analysis, and the corrigibility of conclusion, etc.) are still there, but the writer seems to want to parlay his observations onto a new level.

The thing that I remember in graduate school, in a class on contemporary political theory, is: sure, you can craft a new theory, but the real question is, does it improve on the existing understanding?  This guy has stumbled on a new understanding of an old idea, and he doesn't or hasn't yet visited or understood the old.

"I don't stand by anything."  ― Donald Trump, interview with John Dickerson, 5.1.17...

Normal is broken.

“That's libertarians for you — anarchists who want police protection from their slaves.” ― Kim Stanley Robinson, Green Mars
Original Quill
Original Quill

Back to top Go down

Post by Thorin on Sun Nov 10, 2019 11:05 am

I have posted your views to him on twitter and he pissed himself laughing Quill

You could of course engage him there online, as i would love to see that.

Most of all how you failed to actually understand him

Would you like me to set this up for you?

Thorin

Back to top Go down

Post by Original Quill on Sun Nov 10, 2019 11:19 am

phildidge wrote:I have posted your views to him on twitter and he pissed himself laughing Quill

I doubt that. But, short answer, I lacked interest enough to even comment, until wolf posted on the thread.

You seem to have an affinity for ad populum arguments. You don't need a gang if your arguments are sound enough. If you lack the confidence in your own ideas, mend them.

"I don't stand by anything."  ― Donald Trump, interview with John Dickerson, 5.1.17...

Normal is broken.

“That's libertarians for you — anarchists who want police protection from their slaves.” ― Kim Stanley Robinson, Green Mars
Original Quill
Original Quill

Back to top Go down

Post by Thorin on Sun Nov 10, 2019 11:23 am

Original Quill wrote:
phildidge wrote:I have posted your views to him on twitter and he pissed himself laughing Quill

I doubt that.  But, short answer, I lacked interest enough to even comment, until wolf posted on the thread.

You seem to have an affinity for ad populum arguments.  You don't need a gang if your arguments are sound enough.  If you lack the confidence in your own ideas, mend them.

Ah so you wont debate him then

Smells like chicken shit to me

Thorin

Back to top Go down

Post by Original Quill on Sun Nov 10, 2019 7:24 pm

phildidge wrote:
Original Quill wrote:

I doubt that.  But, short answer, I lacked interest enough to even comment, until wolf posted on the thread.

You seem to have an affinity for ad populum arguments.  You don't need a gang if your arguments are sound enough.  If you lack the confidence in your own ideas, mend them.

Ah so you wont debate him then

Smells like chicken shit to me

I told you, I have no interest in the subject.  I only commented because Wolf entered his post.  Frankly, I have already sussed the issue out.  It's an old sang.

If he want's to come over here and post, I would like to see what he says on other matters.  Please, do extend an invitation to him.  But, short of that, what he has written is a non sequitur.

Normal is broken.

Original Quill
Original Quill

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum