Russia is once again meddling in the United States' federal election, Facebook says

Go down

Russia is once again meddling in the United States' federal election, Facebook says  Empty Russia is once again meddling in the United States' federal election, Facebook says

Post by Ben Reilly on Tue Oct 22, 2019 1:39 pm

The Washington Post wrote:Facebook on Monday said it removed a network of Russian-backed accounts that posed as locals weighing in on political issues in swing states, praising President Trump and attacking former vice president Joe Biden — illustrating that the familiar threat of Russian interference looms over the next U.S. presidential race.

Facebook said the network bears the hallmark of the same Kremlin-backed group that interfered in the 2016 election by sowing social discord, seeking to boost Trump and attacking Democratic candidate Hillary Clinton. The new disinformation campaign appears to follow the same playbook.

This time, a coordinated group of Russian accounts that appears to show some links to the Internet Research Agency largely took to Facebook’s photo-sharing app, Instagram, to post content this year about U.S. politics and memes targeting Democratic presidential contenders.

The operation demonstrated a sophisticated understanding of the schisms within the Democratic Party as it labors to choose a nominee to face Trump in 2020. One Russian account, which portrayed itself as a black voter in Michigan, used the #BlackLivesMatter hashtag to hammer Biden for gaffes about racial issues. Some of the accounts boosted one of his rivals on the left, Sen. Bernie Sanders (I-Vt.).

- Willie Nelson
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly
Cowboy King. Dread Pirate of the Guadalupe. God of Thunder.

http://www.newsfixboard.com

Back to top Go down

Russia is once again meddling in the United States' federal election, Facebook says  Empty Re: Russia is once again meddling in the United States' federal election, Facebook says

Post by Maddog on Tue Oct 22, 2019 1:54 pm

Ben Reilly wrote:
The Washington Post wrote:Facebook on Monday said it removed a network of Russian-backed accounts that posed as locals weighing in on political issues in swing states, praising President Trump and attacking former vice president Joe Biden — illustrating that the familiar threat of Russian interference looms over the next U.S. presidential race.

Facebook said the network bears the hallmark of the same Kremlin-backed group that interfered in the 2016 election by sowing social discord, seeking to boost Trump and attacking Democratic candidate Hillary Clinton. The new disinformation campaign appears to follow the same playbook.

This time, a coordinated group of Russian accounts that appears to show some links to the Internet Research Agency largely took to Facebook’s photo-sharing app, Instagram, to post content this year about U.S. politics and memes targeting Democratic presidential contenders.

The operation demonstrated a sophisticated understanding of the schisms within the Democratic Party as it labors to choose a nominee to face Trump in 2020. One Russian account, which portrayed itself as a black voter in Michigan, used the #BlackLivesMatter hashtag to hammer Biden for gaffes about racial issues. Some of the accounts boosted one of his rivals on the left, Sen. Bernie Sanders (I-Vt.).

Of course they are. There are no doubt Russian operatives posing as Bob from Topeka.

Do you vote based on what Bob from Topeka posts on the Huffington Posts Facebook page?

noun

The policy or practice on the part of people in positions of authority of restricting the freedom and responsibilities of those subordinate to them in the subordinates' supposed best interest.
Maddog
Maddog

Back to top Go down

Russia is once again meddling in the United States' federal election, Facebook says  Empty Re: Russia is once again meddling in the United States' federal election, Facebook says

Post by nicko on Tue Oct 22, 2019 3:04 pm

Red's under the beds ?
nicko
nicko

Back to top Go down

Post by Maddog on Tue Oct 22, 2019 3:21 pm

nicko wrote:Red's under the beds ?

When folks fail, they often engage in 3 tactics. Minimize, deny or blame.

noun

The policy or practice on the part of people in positions of authority of restricting the freedom and responsibilities of those subordinate to them in the subordinates' supposed best interest.
Maddog
Maddog

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Reilly on Tue Oct 22, 2019 3:49 pm

Maddog wrote:
nicko wrote:Red's under the beds ?

When folks fail, they often engage in 3 tactics.  Minimize, deny or blame.  

What part of this is so hard to believe or understand?

Facebook has identified accounts originating in Russia that have been posing as American accounts and making divisive political posts, just like what happened in 2016.

Putin is counting on guys like you to minimize it or deny this fact -- or to blame the messenger Razz

- Willie Nelson
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly

Back to top Go down

Post by Maddog on Tue Oct 22, 2019 4:04 pm

Ben Reilly wrote:
Maddog wrote:

Facebook has identified accounts originating in Russia that have been posing as American accounts and making divisive political posts, just like what happened in 2016.

Putin is counting on guys like you to minimize it or deny this fact -- or to blame the messenger Razz

There's nothing hard to understand. I don't think Facebook posts from unknown individuals have that much effect.

They are kinda like Lurkers thread. Do you think that nonsense changes minds?

Maybe Lurker is a Putin asset too?

noun

Maddog
Maddog

Back to top Go down

Post by Original Quill on Tue Oct 22, 2019 4:49 pm

Ben Reilly wrote:

Having an agent, or at least a useful idiot in the White House doesn't hurt. If you want to manipulate opinion, what better way to do it than actually manipulating events?

Here we are in the last 13-months before an election (the "season"), and did you notice it's getting hotter? Ukraine? Syria? Doral? Saudi Arabia/Yemen?

"I don't stand by anything."  ― Donald Trump, interview with John Dickerson, 5.1.17...

Normal is broken.

“That's libertarians for you — anarchists who want police protection from their slaves.” ― Kim Stanley Robinson, Green Mars
Original Quill
Original Quill

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Reilly on Tue Oct 22, 2019 7:44 pm

Maddog wrote:
Ben Reilly wrote:
Maddog wrote:

There's nothing hard to understand. I don't think Facebook posts from unknown individuals have that much effect.  

They are kinda like Lurkers thread.  Do you think that nonsense changes minds?

I bet Facebook posts have some effect, otherwise I doubt Russia would spend so much time and energy on them.

- Willie Nelson
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly

Back to top Go down

Post by Maddog on Tue Oct 22, 2019 9:40 pm

Ben Reilly wrote:
Maddog wrote:

They are kinda like Lurkers thread.  Do you think that nonsense changes minds?

I bet Facebook posts have some effect, otherwise I doubt Russia would spend so much time and energy on them.

How much time and energy does it take to be an online pest or troll?

I wonder how many of these fake profiles are government sanctioned, and how many are just bored college kids in Moscow trolling Americans?

noun

Maddog
Maddog

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum