Aussie style "Utes" -- 'pickup trucks' not available in USA..

Go down

Aussie style "Utes" --  'pickup trucks' not available in USA.. Empty Aussie style "Utes" -- 'pickup trucks' not available in USA..

Post by 'Wolfie on Mon Oct 21, 2019 8:20 am

Aussie style "Utes" --  'pickup trucks' not available in USA.. 3356277174

Here's a Russian-born American's take on the Noosa 'ute' and 4WD scene  :

https://youtu.be/PKZrblG3Bzc

I reckon Freddie, Victor and nicko should be just as interested in this as will our American members ?

Henry David Thoreau
'Wolfie
'Wolfie

Back to top Go down

Aussie style "Utes" --  'pickup trucks' not available in USA.. Empty Re: Aussie style "Utes" -- 'pickup trucks' not available in USA..

Post by nicko on Mon Oct 21, 2019 9:03 am

Wolfie, I'v driven Range Rovers, Disco's ,Land Cruisers , Ford Rangers and many other 4x4's. Not one of them can beat the humble Suzuki Jimny, it's not very big and it's suspension is rock hard, but put it in 4x4 low ratio and it'll go ANYWHERE !
nicko
nicko

Back to top Go down

Aussie style "Utes" --  'pickup trucks' not available in USA.. Empty Re: Aussie style "Utes" -- 'pickup trucks' not available in USA..

Post by 'Wolfie on Mon Oct 21, 2019 4:38 pm

nicko wrote:Wolfie, I'v driven Range Rovers, Disco's ,Land Cruisers , Ford Rangers and many other 4x4's. Not one of them can beat the humble Suzuki Jimny, it's not very big and it's suspension is rock hard, but put it in 4x4 low ratio and it'll go ANYWHERE !
Aussie style "Utes" --  'pickup trucks' not available in USA.. 3738099605

Do you know that the first Suzuki 4WDs (the LJ series) were upgraded and powered up for the Aussie market during the 1970s ?  Thanks to the Oz market and local conditions, the world got a little utility 4WD with more power and wider choice than what it would have had in  its Japanese home market alone..

https://www.globalsuzuki.com/automobile/history/

If it could stand up to Aussie conditions, it could handle the Americas and Africa.

Daihatsu (now part of Hino in the Toyota group..) and Subaru both bought out small 4WD 'utes' as well in the late 70s/early 1980s, to compete with Suzuki --  these days, none of those three have the small utility/cab chassis versions available in their model lineups down here..

Henry David Thoreau
'Wolfie
'Wolfie

Back to top Go down

Post by nicko on Mon Oct 21, 2019 6:14 pm

Thanks for that Wolfie,I forgot to mention I had two Vitara's both 2.0 auto's .They were good off road but the little Jimny was better ! [The comfort of the r/r was never beaten] !
nicko
nicko

Back to top Go down

Post by Fred Moletrousers on Mon Oct 21, 2019 6:35 pm

Thanks for that, Wolfie. Fascinating.
My attachment (addiction?) is to what I call real Land Rovers - the Series models with a history dating back to 1947 and the prototype Series 1 that was a direct descendant of the wartime Willys Jeep on which the design was based.
I actually learned to drive on an early 1950s Series 1, a beat-up old farm workhorse that my late wife and myself were unbelievably stupid enough to sell for fifty quid at the farm sale in the 70s!
I later had an ex-army Series 2, a long wheelbase (and very temperamental) Series 3 and finally, five years ago and wanting to own one more real Solihull Slugger before I became too decrepit to enjoy the ownership of the iconic marque, a fully-restored Series 2a County Station Wagon with a safari roof that cost me an arm and a leg to buy. And that's the one as my avatar pic.
She is 50 years old next year and, believe it or not, in concours condition. Fully restored in 2006 and professionally re-sprayed in her original paint colours in 2016.
Even the badge on the radiator grille and rear door are museum and collectors' items!
She's still an awesome beast off the road, though I have resisted every invitation from my Land Rover Club mates to join them on rallies on the grounds that she's irreplaceable....not to mention worth a hell of a lot more than the cars many people own!
Will I sell her (in spite of endless offers)? Not a hope in hell. She has been left to my grandson in my will and he will have to decide on her future, but to me (as a BMW driver for day-to-day motoring) she is perfection itself.
Fred Moletrousers
Fred Moletrousers
MABEL, THE GREAT ZOG

Back to top Go down