After a Latina author's speech about navigating a predominantly white society, students burned her books

Go down

After a Latina author's speech about navigating a predominantly white society, students burned her books Empty After a Latina author's speech about navigating a predominantly white society, students burned her books

Post by Ben Reilly on Sat Oct 12, 2019 5:54 pm

On Wednesday night, students at Georgia Southern University (GSU) ripped and burned copies of a Latina author’s book about a woman of color navigating life at a predominately white university.

The burning happened after Jennine Capó Crucet, author of Make Your Home Among Strangers and a professor at the University of Nebraska, spoke at the university about the book and her personal experiences. Make Your Home Among Strangers follows a young Cuban woman who has to balance the needs of her family with being a minority at a predominately white elite university.

Crucet’s book was assigned to incoming freshman at GSU who each go through a “first-year experience” course, and the university had invited her to speak about it at their campus. Several students who spoke with BuzzFeed on the condition of anonymity said attending the discussion was mandatory. GSU did not immediately respond to TIME’s request for clarification.

After reading from the book and sharing some personal anecdotes, Crucet took questions from the audience. She received a contentious question from a student who took issue with her opinions on white privilege.

“I noticed that you made a lot of generalizations about the majority of white people being privileged,” the student asked, according to GSU student newspaper The George-Anne. “What makes you believe that it’s okay to come to a college campus, like this, when we are supposed to be promoting diversity on this campus, which is what we’re taught. I don’t understand what the purpose of this was.”

https://time.com/5698850/jennine-crucet-book-burning-georgia-white-privilege/

You know, in the name of freedom of expression, which the right claims to value so much these days ...

Hard to imagine a more effective way of keeping her ideas from the public than literally burning her words.

- Ryan Adams
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly
Cowboy King. Dread Pirate of the Guadalupe. Enemy of the American people.

http://www.newsfixboard.com

Back to top Go down

After a Latina author's speech about navigating a predominantly white society, students burned her books Empty Re: After a Latina author's speech about navigating a predominantly white society, students burned her books

Post by phildidge on Sat Oct 12, 2019 6:47 pm

Ben Reilly wrote:
On Wednesday night, students at Georgia Southern University (GSU) ripped and burned copies of a Latina author’s book about a woman of color navigating life at a predominately white university.

The burning happened after Jennine Capó Crucet, author of Make Your Home Among Strangers and a professor at the University of Nebraska, spoke at the university about the book and her personal experiences. Make Your Home Among Strangers follows a young Cuban woman who has to balance the needs of her family with being a minority at a predominately white elite university.

Crucet’s book was assigned to incoming freshman at GSU who each go through a “first-year experience” course, and the university had invited her to speak about it at their campus. Several students who spoke with BuzzFeed on the condition of anonymity said attending the discussion was mandatory. GSU did not immediately respond to TIME’s request for clarification.

After reading from the book and sharing some personal anecdotes, Crucet took questions from the audience. She received a contentious question from a student who took issue with her opinions on white privilege.

“I noticed that you made a lot of generalizations about the majority of white people being privileged,” the student asked, according to GSU student newspaper The George-Anne. “What makes you believe that it’s okay to come to a college campus, like this, when we are supposed to be promoting diversity on this campus, which is what we’re taught. I don’t understand what the purpose of this was.”

https://time.com/5698850/jennine-crucet-book-burning-georgia-white-privilege/

You know, in the name of freedom of expression, which the right claims to value so much these days ...

Hard to imagine a more effective way of keeping her ideas from the public than literally burning her words.

Its disgusting behaviour by the students and I am surprised they are not being repremanded over this
I certainly can understand how some students will and do feel like being white now is seen as somehow wrong, but this is not the way to confront beliefs and experinces that other people go through. What should happen is open dialogue with the writer. Understand her experinces but also the students express their concerns, without this leading to antagonising and clearly later hate with the book burning.

phildidge

Back to top Go down

After a Latina author's speech about navigating a predominantly white society, students burned her books Empty Re: After a Latina author's speech about navigating a predominantly white society, students burned her books

Post by eddie Yesterday at 3:24 am

Have we any way of knowing what the author said that antagonised the students?
Because I find I can’t comment on a half-story when I don’t know the full story, and what she said that antagonised these students, is the crux of the story for me.

Please stop saying "You can't joke about anything anymore". You can. You can joke about whatever the fuck you like. And some people won't like it and they will tell you they don't like it. And then it's up to you whether you give a fuck or not. And so on. It's a good system. ~ Ricky Gervais
eddie
eddie
King of Beards. Keeper of the Whip. Top Chef. BEES!!!!!! Mushroom muncher. Spider aficionado!

Back to top Go down

Post by 'Wolfie Today at 3:09 am

afro

I have to laugh at a lot of so-called "Latina" and "Latino" activists and agitators in the Americas who often label themselves as "black" on the basis of having one dark-skinned ancestor --  even though they themselves are often much "whiter" than me and some of my relo's...

Doesn't surprise me at all, to find yet another Latina agitator putting their foot in it, trying a bit of  "me too !" blarney, trying to hitch themselves to the American Negroes discrimination wagon..

As for the 'latino' and 'latina' labels, it often appears like they themselves often forget that the "latin" in their ethnicity comes from Spanish and Portuguese ancestry (i.e. country of origin, via 'Latin America' colonies..) --  and not from any "blacks" they have in there.

Henry David Thoreau
'Wolfie
'Wolfie

Back to top Go down

Post by Original Quill Today at 3:44 am

'Wolfie wrote:afro

I have to laugh at a lot of so-called "Latina" and "Latino" activists and agitators in the Americas who often label themselves as "black" on the basis of having one dark-skinned ancestor --  even though they themselves are often much "whiter" than me and some of my relo's...

Doesn't surprise me at all, to find yet another Latina agitator putting their foot in it, trying a bit of  "me too !" blarney, trying to hitch themselves to the American Negroes discrimination wagon..

As for the 'latino' and 'latina' labels, it often appears like they themselves often forget that the "latin" in their ethnicity comes from Spanish and Portuguese ancestry (i.e. country of origin, via 'Latin America' colonies..) --  and not from any "blacks" they have in there.

We often ran into these questions in school desegregation cases, particularly in the Southwest. The white power structure would tell them, why side with them, as you are more like us?

I would answer, instead of driving a wedge in between ethnic groups, try focusing on who makes them feel like second and third class citizens. It is the whites who try to hold back blacks, as well as Hispanics, and are responsible for defining and discriminating against both groups.

Color doesn't exist, until someone makes it significant. Whites started this. We wouldn't have any discrimination if it weren't for white people.

"I don't stand by anything."  ― Donald Trump, interview with John Dickerson, 5.1.17...

Normal is broken.

“That's libertarians for you — anarchists who want police protection from their slaves.” ― Kim Stanley Robinson, Green Mars
Original Quill
Original Quill

Back to top Go down

Post by nicko Today at 5:58 am

Bullshit !
nicko
nicko

Back to top Go down