Squirrels take cues from birds when it comes to danger, study shows

Go down

Squirrels take cues from birds when it comes to danger, study shows Empty Squirrels take cues from birds when it comes to danger, study shows

Post by Ben Reilly on Fri Sep 06, 2019 10:01 pm

Grey squirrels eavesdrop on the chatter of birds to to work out when it is safe to sneak past, a study has found.

The animals wait and listen for when the birds feel safe enough to tweet casually after issuing an earlier predator call, say scientists.

Only once they hear the more relaxed bird calls are the squirrels reassured enough to come off high alert, the US research team observed.

The suggestion comes after experts in Ohio saw how 54 wild eastern grey squirrels responded to threats in public parks and residential areas.

https://inews.co.uk/news/uk/squirrels-eavesdrop-birds-chatter-danger-environment-nature-science-news/

I love stories like this Smile

- Ryan Adams
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly
Cowboy King. Dread Pirate of the Guadalupe. Enemy of the American people.

http://www.newsfixboard.com

Back to top Go down

Squirrels take cues from birds when it comes to danger, study shows Empty Re: Squirrels take cues from birds when it comes to danger, study shows

Post by Original Quill on Sat Sep 07, 2019 5:09 am

I first heard about this with meerkats.

"I don't stand by anything."  ― Donald Trump, interview with John Dickerson, 5.1.17...

Normal is broken.

“That's libertarians for you — anarchists who want police protection from their slaves.” ― Kim Stanley Robinson, Green Mars
Original Quill
Original Quill

Back to top Go down

Squirrels take cues from birds when it comes to danger, study shows Empty Re: Squirrels take cues from birds when it comes to danger, study shows

Post by nicko on Sat Sep 07, 2019 10:36 am

Same in the Jungle, if it goes quiet, look out . Nothing new in that !
nicko
nicko

Back to top Go down

Post by Maddog on Sat Sep 07, 2019 2:32 pm

Anyone who has spent some time in the woods knows that animals pay attention to each other.

That's why hunters can use a decoy of a different species to attract game.

noun

The policy or practice on the part of people in positions of authority of restricting the freedom and responsibilities of those subordinate to them in the subordinates' supposed best interest.
Maddog
Maddog

Back to top Go down

Post by nicko on Sat Sep 07, 2019 5:00 pm

+1
nicko
nicko

Back to top Go down