HOLY FUCKING SHIT: Scientists just might have managed to reverse the aging process

Go down

HOLY FUCKING SHIT: Scientists just might have managed to reverse the aging process Empty HOLY FUCKING SHIT: Scientists just might have managed to reverse the aging process

Post by Ben Reilly on Fri Sep 06, 2019 8:55 pm

A small clinical study in California has suggested for the first time that it might be possible to reverse the body’s epigenetic clock, which measures a person’s biological age.

For one year, nine healthy volunteers took a cocktail of three common drugs — growth hormone and two diabetes medications — and on average shed 2.5 years of their biological ages, measured by analysing marks on a person’s genomes. The participants’ immune systems also showed signs of rejuvenation.

The results were a surprise even to the trial organizers — but researchers caution that the findings are preliminary because the trial was small and did not include a control arm.

“I’d expected to see slowing down of the clock, but not a reversal,” says geneticist Steve Horvath at the University of California, Los Angeles, who conducted the epigenetic analysis. “That felt kind of futuristic.” The findings were published on 5 September in Aging Cell.

“It may be that there is an effect,” says cell biologist Wolfgang Wagner at the University of Aachen in Germany. “But the results are not rock solid because the study is very small and not well controlled.”

https://www.nature.com/articles/d41586-019-02638-w

Surely something that warrants further study!

- Ryan Adams
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly
Cowboy King. Dread Pirate of the Guadalupe. Enemy of the American people.

View user profile http://www.newsfixboard.com

Back to top Go down

HOLY FUCKING SHIT: Scientists just might have managed to reverse the aging process Empty Re: HOLY FUCKING SHIT: Scientists just might have managed to reverse the aging process

Post by Andy on Fri Sep 06, 2019 9:04 pm

Which will lead to hugely increased numbers of elderly people, lower early mortality rates and a massive and unsustainable increase in the human population.
Better to focus on illnesses such as diabetes, epilepsy and cancer that kill the young, rather than prolonging the life of octogenarians.

Andy
Poet Laureate & Traveling Bard of NewsFix

Location : Winning the fight to drain the swamp of far right extremists.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

HOLY FUCKING SHIT: Scientists just might have managed to reverse the aging process Empty Re: HOLY FUCKING SHIT: Scientists just might have managed to reverse the aging process

Post by Ben Reilly on Fri Sep 06, 2019 9:08 pm

Andy wrote:Which will lead to hugely increased numbers of elderly people, lower early mortality rates and a massive and unsustainable  increase in the human population.
Better to focus on illnesses such as diabetes, epilepsy and cancer that kill the young, rather than prolonging the life of octogenarians.

Fuck that shit, I want to live forever! Laughing

But yeah, we do need to rein in the size of the global population.

- Ryan Adams
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly

Back to top Go down

Post by Jules on Fri Sep 06, 2019 10:39 pm

Ageing - and cancer - are both the result of cell DNA deteriorating - maybe they have found a way of blocking this.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie on Fri Sep 06, 2019 10:52 pm

Why would we want to? No! Stop messing with nature!
It’s fucking nasty.

Please stop saying "You can't joke about anything anymore". You can. You can joke about whatever the fuck you like. And some people won't like it and they will tell you they don't like it. And then it's up to you whether you give a fuck or not. And so on. It's a good system. ~ Ricky Gervais
eddie
eddie
King of Beards. Keeper of the Whip. Top Chef. BEES!!!!!! Mushroom muncher. Spider aficionado!

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Victorismyhero on Sat Sep 07, 2019 10:44 am

Ben Reilly wrote:
Andy wrote:Which will lead to hugely increased numbers of elderly people, lower early mortality rates and a massive and unsustainable  increase in the human population.

Fuck that shit, I want to live forever! Laughing

But yeah, we do need to rein in the size of the global population.

That can easily be arranged... Twisted Evil

Patience my Ass......I' m gonna KILLsomething

.(It's hard to remember that the task is to drain the swamp, when you are up to your arse in alligators)

[b]I DONT BELIEVE IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Victorismyhero
Victorismyhero
INTERNAL SECURITY DIRECTOR
INTERNAL SECURITY DIRECTOR

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by 'Wolfie on Sat Sep 07, 2019 12:23 pm

Idea

One "small" clinical study...

With a whole nine test subjects..

Methinks some cash-strapped researchers are chasing some funding to further advance their trials and testing ?

Henry David Thoreau
'Wolfie
'Wolfie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie on Sat Sep 07, 2019 7:12 pm

'Wolfie wrote: Idea

One "small" clinical study...

With a whole nine test subjects..

Methinks some cash-strapped researchers are chasing some funding to further advance their trials and testing  ?

I think it’s a ghastly idea.

Please stop saying "You can't joke about anything anymore". You can. You can joke about whatever the fuck you like. And some people won't like it and they will tell you they don't like it. And then it's up to you whether you give a fuck or not. And so on. It's a good system. ~ Ricky Gervais
eddie
eddie
King of Beards. Keeper of the Whip. Top Chef. BEES!!!!!! Mushroom muncher. Spider aficionado!

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Reilly on Sat Sep 07, 2019 7:19 pm

I think it sounds like something that could allow people to live into their 80s and 90s with a much higher quality of life. At a certain point, I do think most people would decide to let themselves age to death, so to speak.

But if I could have avoided losing my dad at age 60 because of this potential medical breakthrough, that would have been wonderful. I wish he'd gotten to see me marry the love of my life, and had the chance to meet my stepchildren. I know it would have made him really happy.

- Ryan Adams
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie on Sat Sep 07, 2019 7:49 pm

Ben Reilly wrote:I think it sounds like something that could allow people to live into their 80s and 90s with a much higher quality of life. At a certain point, I do think most people would decide to let themselves age to death, so to speak.

But if I could have avoided losing my dad at age 60 because of this potential medical breakthrough, that would have been wonderful. I wish he'd gotten to see me marry the love of my life, and had the chance to meet my stepchildren. I know it would have made him really happy.

I take your point because my dad didn’t see my kids grow up, he never knew his granddaughter at all, but I still find the idea icky and a bit Frankensteinish.

eddie
eddie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Maddog on Sun Sep 08, 2019 2:32 pm

eddie wrote:
Ben Reilly wrote:I think it sounds like something that could allow people to live into their 80s and 90s with a much higher quality of life. At a certain point, I do think most people would decide to let themselves age to death, so to speak.

I take your point because my dad didn’t see my kids grow up, he never knew his granddaughter at all, but I still find the idea icky and a bit Frankensteinish.

Isn't most medication designed to prolong and extend life?

noun

The policy or practice on the part of people in positions of authority of restricting the freedom and responsibilities of those subordinate to them in the subordinates' supposed best interest.
Maddog
Maddog

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Reilly on Sun Sep 08, 2019 11:19 pm

Maddog wrote:
eddie wrote:

Exactly.

- Ryan Adams
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly

Back to top Go down

Post by Original Quill on Mon Sep 09, 2019 2:02 am

Maddog wrote:
eddie wrote:

Unfortunately, a sizable part of it is to reduce pain...which inevitably leads to addiction and loss of life.

I don't understand it. Pain is your friend. It's your body talking to you.

"I don't stand by anything."  ― Donald Trump, interview with John Dickerson, 5.1.17...

Normal is broken.

“That's libertarians for you — anarchists who want police protection from their slaves.” ― Kim Stanley Robinson, Green Mars
Original Quill
Original Quill

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Maddog on Mon Sep 09, 2019 3:08 pm

Original Quill wrote:
Maddog wrote:

Unfortunately, a sizable part of it is to reduce pain...which inevitably leads to addiction and loss of life.

I don't understand it.  Pain is your friend.  It's your body talking to you.

Perhaps you should have surgery without anesthesia.

noun

The policy or practice on the part of people in positions of authority of restricting the freedom and responsibilities of those subordinate to them in the subordinates' supposed best interest.
Maddog
Maddog

View user profile

Back to top Go down