'Fat' is the new ‘f-word’ at this Ivy League University

Go down

'Fat' is the new ‘f-word’ at this Ivy League University Empty 'Fat' is the new ‘f-word’ at this Ivy League University

Post by phildidge on Fri Aug 30, 2019 3:23 pm

A brand new course at Princeton University invites students to learn about society's stigmatization of the “fat body” and to consider political and industry-related reasons over medical reasons for being concerned about the “alleged” obesity epidemic.

Titled FAT: The F-Word and the Public Body, the course will be taught by dance professor Judith Hamera, who will lead students in examining how “the fat body operates at the conjuncture of political economy, beauty standards, and health.”

Students will address questions such as "How does this 'f-word’ discipline and regulate bodies in/as public?” and “What is the ‘ideal’ American public body and who gets to occupy that position?” They will also consider the “changing history, aesthetics, politics, and meanings of fatness" and although they will do so by use of both dance and performance, the course description assures students that “no previous performance experience” is necessary.

Queering Fat Embodiment, one of the texts in the course's sample reading list, addresses how “cultural anxieties” and “stigmatization of fat bodies” have legitimized “fat-phobia” and asserts that fatness, subject to “medicalization, pathologization, and commodification,” has been paired with a “moral panic” surrounding an obesity epidemic that it claims is only “alleged," according to the Amazon description.

Other texts for the course include Gerardo Otero’s The Neoliberal Diet: Healthy Profits, Unhealthy People, a book that rejects “mainstream explanations” about the American obesity epidemic such as little exercise and poor food choices, instead asserting that “increased obesity does not result merely from individual food and lifestyle choices,” but rather from neoliberal policy that has “promoted trade liberalization and retrenchment of the welfare regime, along with continued agricultural subsidies in rich countries.”

Students will also read Eric Oliver’s Fat Politics, a book that argues that more than 60 million Americans are “mislabeled” as being overweight and that the government and health professionals “inflate the health risks of being fat.” Oliver rejects the premise that losing weight makes people healthier, and claims that concern about obesity comes from politics, prejudice, and industry profit.

https://www.campusreform.org/?ID=13638

How is such an irresponsible unhealthy course being provided on campus?

phildidge

Back to top Go down

'Fat' is the new ‘f-word’ at this Ivy League University Empty Re: 'Fat' is the new ‘f-word’ at this Ivy League University

Post by Ben Reilly on Sat Aug 31, 2019 1:01 am

Nothing wrong with studying obesity, but teaching it as a lifestyle or fat people as a marginalized group akin to an ethnic minority is really misguided.

It is nothing more or less than a health condition which, in the first era of human evolution, provided a survival advantage so long as it wasn't a permanent condition (it saved people from starvation) but is dangerous to one's health when it isn't rectified.

I really think that the idea of eating three regular meals daily is going to be shown to be quite unnatural, and that maybe if we were to eat more like our ancestors (more natural food, along with periods of fasting punctuated by periods of feasting), we may be better off.

Exercise is too neglected as well. My father lie in a drug-induced coma after a heart surgery that had several complications for a little over two weeks, and that period of laying all day and night in a bed wreaked so much havoc on his body. We didn't evolve to spend most of our days sitting and laying down.

Obesity can happen to pretty much anybody. It's sad that some people are so resistant to diet and exercise that they would rather try to convince society they're a marginalized group, rather than people who just need to, in most cases, make some healthy changes.

- Ryan Adams
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly
Cowboy King. Dread Pirate of the Guadalupe. Enemy of the American people.

http://www.newsfixboard.com

Back to top Go down

'Fat' is the new ‘f-word’ at this Ivy League University Empty Re: 'Fat' is the new ‘f-word’ at this Ivy League University

Post by eddie on Sat Aug 31, 2019 1:27 am

People should only eat when they’re hungry. I have no idea where this “three meals a day” comes from. If you only ate when you needed it (obviously healthier options are best) then you wouldn’t get fat.

I think comfort-eating comes from giving children sweet treats to comfort them when they’re upset possibly. Also, if a child doesn’t want to eat, why force him or her? They won’t allow themselves to starve.

And, I might add, forcing a child to finish everything on their plate?  Why??? They know when they’re full!

Please stop saying "You can't joke about anything anymore". You can. You can joke about whatever the fuck you like. And some people won't like it and they will tell you they don't like it. And then it's up to you whether you give a fuck or not. And so on. It's a good system. ~ Ricky Gervais
eddie
eddie
King of Beards. Keeper of the Whip. Top Chef. BEES!!!!!! Mushroom muncher. Spider aficionado!

Back to top Go down

Post by phildidge on Sat Aug 31, 2019 2:28 am

https://whatsgood.vitaminshoppe.com/small-frequent-meals/

phildidge

Back to top Go down