So who is in the wrong here?

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

So who is in the wrong here? - Page 2 Empty So who is in the wrong here?

Post by Syl on Tue Jul 09, 2019 6:47 pm

First topic message reminder :

"This is the moment an angry cyclist kicks out at a passing car for getting to close - but viewers were divided over who was in the wrong.  
The incident happened last Wednesday June 26, at around 7pm on Kings Avenue in Brixton, south London and was caught on film by a driving instructor's dash cam.
The instructor, who wishes to remain anonymous, posted the footage online and said: 'Who's side are you on?'"


There is a video on the link.


https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-7223669/Cyclists-lash-Peugeot-think-driver-got-close-tried-overtake.html

_________________
Not everyone likes me, but not everyone matters.
Syl
Syl

Posts : 19564
Join date : 2015-11-12
Location : Manchester

View user profile

Back to top Go down


So who is in the wrong here? - Page 2 Empty Re: So who is in the wrong here?

Post by Syl on Fri Jul 12, 2019 10:55 am

Maddog wrote:
Syl wrote:

There was no cycle lane there and it's illegal to ride a bike on the pavement here.

The odd thing is people are encouraged to cycle, take public transport or walk when possible rather than take the car, yet there are very few cycle lanes in many parts of the country.

So a cyclist can't take the lane?  

I thought you meant take the cycle lane....you mean take primary position on the road?
Yes they can legally do that Maddog, though most dont, in some circumstances they are actually advised to do so.

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/bike-blog/2011/aug/01/cyclist-take-the-lane

_________________
Not everyone likes me, but not everyone matters.
Syl
Syl

Posts : 19564
Join date : 2015-11-12
Location : Manchester

View user profile

Back to top Go down

So who is in the wrong here? - Page 2 Empty Re: So who is in the wrong here?

Post by Maddog on Fri Jul 12, 2019 2:37 pm

Syl wrote:
Maddog wrote:

So a cyclist can't take the lane?  

I thought you meant take the cycle lane....you mean take primary position on the road?
Yes they can legally do that Maddog, though most dont, in some circumstances they are actually advised to do so.

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/bike-blog/2011/aug/01/cyclist-take-the-lane

Yes, that's what we I do.  It makes you more visible and keeps you from getting hit by mirrors.

Then, when it looks good I'll scoot over and wave a car by, unless there are multiple lanes going the same direction as me.  

We don't have many bike lanes and the ones we have usually end up fill of debris. I use them to allow cars to pass and then I pop back in the lane usually.

_________________
pa·ter·nal·ism

noun

The policy or practice on the part of people in positions of authority of restricting the freedom and responsibilities of those subordinate to them in the subordinates' supposed best interest.
Maddog
Maddog

Posts : 5004
Join date : 2017-09-23
Location : Texas

View user profile

Back to top Go down

So who is in the wrong here? - Page 2 Empty Re: So who is in the wrong here?

Post by Syl on Sat Jul 13, 2019 4:35 pm

Maddog wrote:
Syl wrote:

I thought you meant take the cycle lane....you mean take primary position on the road?
Yes they can legally do that Maddog, though most dont, in some circumstances they are actually advised to do so.

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/bike-blog/2011/aug/01/cyclist-take-the-lane

Yes, that's what we I do.  It makes you more visible and keeps you from getting hit by mirrors.

Then, when it looks good I'll scoot over and wave a car by, unless there are multiple lanes going the same direction as me.  

We don't have many bike lanes and the ones we have usually end up fill of debris. I use them to allow cars to pass and then I pop back in the lane usually.

People do use cycle lanes here if they are available, but often they are not available.
As seen on this thread, a lot of motorists have zero tolerance for cyclists, I stopped cycling a few years ago because  it was happening more and more where drivers were driving so close to me I was almost in the gutter.
So I dont blame you taking prime position in some circumstances, it's a lot safer.

_________________
Not everyone likes me, but not everyone matters.
Syl
Syl

Posts : 19564
Join date : 2015-11-12
Location : Manchester

View user profile

Back to top Go down

So who is in the wrong here? - Page 2 Empty Re: So who is in the wrong here?

Post by Original Quill on Sat Jul 13, 2019 5:36 pm

Syl wrote:As seen on this thread, a lot of motorists have zero tolerance for cyclists...

The feeling is more than mutual, Syl. Bicyclists have zero tolerance for anyone else. Crosswalks in California are supposed to be inviolable. Yet bicyclists ignore them more often than not.

It seems to me that bicyclists are to pedestrians, as cars are to bicyclists. Yet bicyclists are as cavalier toward pedestrians, as they claim cars are to them. They buzz them, ignore the law, and very often smack right into them. Inevitably, the bicyclists look back over their shoulder and yell obscenities about their rights (even when in the wrong).

I think bicyclists have acquired the victim-posturing syndrome in the discussion. That's my opinion, as an avid cyclist myself.

_________________
“Little thieves are hanged, but great thieves are praised.” — Old Russian proverb, offered by Vladimir Putin to Donald J. Trump, Helsinki, July, 2018.

"I don't stand by anything."  ― Donald Trump, interview with John Dickerson, 5.1.17...

Normal is broken.

“That's libertarians for you — anarchists who want police protection from their slaves.” ― Kim Stanley Robinson, Green Mars
Original Quill
Original Quill

Posts : 29395
Join date : 2013-12-19
Age : 54
Location : Northern California

View user profile

Back to top Go down

So who is in the wrong here? - Page 2 Empty Re: So who is in the wrong here?

Post by Victorismyhero on Sat Jul 13, 2019 7:08 pm

cyclists???? put em on the "general licence". Bloody menaces

_________________
If at any time in 2018 I have annoyed you, pissed you off or said the wrong thing....Suck it up snowflake, cause 2019 AINT gonna be any different

Patience my Ass......I' m gonna KILLsomething

.(It's hard to remember that the task is to drain the swamp, when you are up to your arse in alligators)

[b]I DONT BELIEVE IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Victorismyhero
Victorismyhero
INTERNAL SECURITY DIRECTOR
INTERNAL SECURITY DIRECTOR

Posts : 10527
Join date : 2015-11-06

View user profile

Back to top Go down

So who is in the wrong here? - Page 2 Empty Re: So who is in the wrong here?

Post by Maddog on Sat Jul 13, 2019 10:39 pm

Syl wrote:
Maddog wrote:

Yes, that's what we I do.  It makes you more visible and keeps you from getting hit by mirrors.

Then, when it looks good I'll scoot over and wave a car by, unless there are multiple lanes going the same direction as me.  

We don't have many bike lanes and the ones we have usually end up fill of debris. I use them to allow cars to pass and then I pop back in the lane usually.

People do use cycle lanes here if they are available, but often they are not available.
As seen on this thread, a lot of motorists have zero tolerance for cyclists, I stopped cycling a few years ago because  it was happening more and more where drivers were driving so close to me I was almost in the gutter.
So I dont blame you taking prime position in some circumstances, it's a lot safer.


I have talked to cops that don't know the law. Texas is not really that bike friendly but luckily I live in Ft Worth where our nearly 70 year old mayor is often seen riding her bike. The cops leave us alone while doing "Idaho Stops", and won't tolerate motorists being dicks to us.

_________________
pa·ter·nal·ism

noun

The policy or practice on the part of people in positions of authority of restricting the freedom and responsibilities of those subordinate to them in the subordinates' supposed best interest.
Maddog
Maddog

Posts : 5004
Join date : 2017-09-23
Location : Texas

View user profile

Back to top Go down

So who is in the wrong here? - Page 2 Empty Re: So who is in the wrong here?

Post by 'Wolfie on Sun Jul 14, 2019 9:13 am

Victorismyhero wrote:
cyclists???? put em on the "general licence". Bloody menaces

What a Face

And if that cyclist already happens to have a truck licence or better ?

_________________
It's not what you look at that matters, it's what you see.
Our life is frittered away by details. Simplify, simplify.
The mass of men lead lives of quite desperation.
Henry David Thoreau
'Wolfie
'Wolfie

Posts : 7435
Join date : 2016-02-24
Age : 61
Location : Lake Macquarie, NSW, Australia

View user profile

Back to top Go down

So who is in the wrong here? - Page 2 Empty Re: So who is in the wrong here?

Post by Syl on Mon Jul 15, 2019 9:49 am

I know some cyclists can be ignorant, one banged into my shoulder a couple of years ago when he was riding on the pavement not the road, my friend who was walking in front had already stepped into the road to let him pass, so I do know that some cyclists have a really bad attitude towards other drivers and pedestrians alike.

However, as I said, this thread really shows up the way some drivers feel about cyclists too.
Like it or not they have legal rights when on the road, they even have some road rights car drivers dont have, (and are often unaware of) like undertaking, riding two abreast, and taking prime position on the road, and imo this riles people when they are in a car.

In the op it was the motorist who created the danger by veering too close to the bikes not the other way round, his pride was probably hurt because the bikes travelled faster than he/she did.Laughing

_________________
Not everyone likes me, but not everyone matters.
Syl
Syl

Posts : 19564
Join date : 2015-11-12
Location : Manchester

View user profile

Back to top Go down

So who is in the wrong here? - Page 2 Empty Re: So who is in the wrong here?

Post by Maddog on Mon Jul 15, 2019 4:12 pm

Syl wrote:I know some cyclists can be ignorant, one banged into my shoulder a couple of years ago when he was riding on the pavement not the road, my friend who was walking in front had already stepped into the road to let him pass, so I do know that some cyclists have a really bad attitude towards other drivers and pedestrians alike.

However, as I said, this thread really shows up the way some drivers feel about cyclists too.
Like it or not they have legal rights when on the road, they even have some road rights car drivers dont have, (and are often unaware of)  like undertaking, riding two abreast, and taking prime position on the road, and imo this riles people when they are in a car.

In the op it  was the motorist who created the danger by veering too close to the bikes not the other way round, his pride was probably hurt because the bikes travelled faster than he/she did.Laughing

I read an article in a British publication a few months ago about the number if people who get hostile simply at the sight of cyclists.  

Then there is the whole dogs vs cyclist dynamic.  I wish someone would tell the dogs that I really like dogs.  

I did my 45 miles yesterday and am happy to report it was incident free. But it was with a group which usually helps.

_________________
pa·ter·nal·ism

noun

The policy or practice on the part of people in positions of authority of restricting the freedom and responsibilities of those subordinate to them in the subordinates' supposed best interest.
Maddog
Maddog

Posts : 5004
Join date : 2017-09-23
Location : Texas

View user profile

Back to top Go down

So who is in the wrong here? - Page 2 Empty Re: So who is in the wrong here?

Post by Syl on Mon Jul 15, 2019 6:56 pm

Maddog wrote:
Syl wrote:I know some cyclists can be ignorant, one banged into my shoulder a couple of years ago when he was riding on the pavement not the road, my friend who was walking in front had already stepped into the road to let him pass, so I do know that some cyclists have a really bad attitude towards other drivers and pedestrians alike.

However, as I said, this thread really shows up the way some drivers feel about cyclists too.
Like it or not they have legal rights when on the road, they even have some road rights car drivers dont have, (and are often unaware of)  like undertaking, riding two abreast, and taking prime position on the road, and imo this riles people when they are in a car.

In the op it  was the motorist who created the danger by veering too close to the bikes not the other way round, his pride was probably hurt because the bikes travelled faster than he/she did.Laughing

I read an article in a British publication a few months ago about the number if people who get hostile simply at the sight of  cyclists.  

Then there is the whole dogs vs cyclist dynamic.  I wish someone would tell the dogs that I really like dogs.  

I did my 45 miles yesterday and am happy to report it was incident free. But it was with a group which usually helps.

You must be fit, the most I ever managed was a 50 mile round trio and I had to stay in bed the next day I was aching so much. Razz

_________________
Not everyone likes me, but not everyone matters.
Syl
Syl

Posts : 19564
Join date : 2015-11-12
Location : Manchester

View user profile

Back to top Go down

So who is in the wrong here? - Page 2 Empty Re: So who is in the wrong here?

Post by Maddog on Mon Jul 15, 2019 9:41 pm

Syl wrote:
Maddog wrote:

I read an article in a British publication a few months ago about the number if people who get hostile simply at the sight of  cyclists.  

Then there is the whole dogs vs cyclist dynamic.  I wish someone would tell the dogs that I really like dogs.  

I did my 45 miles yesterday and am happy to report it was incident free. But it was with a group which usually helps.

You must be fit, the most I ever managed was a 50 mile round trio and I had to stay in bed the next day I was aching so much. Razz

Like anything, you have to practice.

Wink

_________________
pa·ter·nal·ism

noun

The policy or practice on the part of people in positions of authority of restricting the freedom and responsibilities of those subordinate to them in the subordinates' supposed best interest.
Maddog
Maddog

Posts : 5004
Join date : 2017-09-23
Location : Texas

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Back to top

- Similar topics

 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum