Should a politicians private life affect his public standing?

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Should a politicians private life affect his public standing? - Page 2 Empty Should a politicians private life affect his public standing?

Post by Syl on Mon Jun 24, 2019 12:28 pm

First topic message reminder :

In light of the furore over Boris Johnsons recent private row  with his partner.

His neighbours not only called the police, but recorded the fracas happening inside his apartment, then passed it on to a national newspaper, which of course has been front page news for the last couple of days.
The police attended, obviously put it down to a domestic, no one was hurt, and no further action will be taken.

So...in your opinion should incidents like this affect a public figures career or their standing with the public?

Syl

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Should a politicians private life affect his public standing? - Page 2 Empty Re: Should a politicians private life affect his public standing?

Post by eddie on Thu Jun 27, 2019 3:07 am

phildidge wrote:I would also add another point to this Eddie. What if someone is not married or in a realationshiip and has simple enjoyed a life of care free sex. Never hurting anyone. Would that then discount them from being a good leader, if they then had all the attributes of being a good political leader?

What personal views we may have around relationships are simple arbitrary and on what we expect of others. To me, that is never the bases for whether someone is a good leader or not.

If you’re not married etc then you’re not lying and cheating.
I can’t like a liar and a cheater.

That’s just my opinion.

King of Beards. Keeper of the Whip. Top Chef. BEES!!!!!! Mushroom muncher. Spider aficionado!

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Should a politicians private life affect his public standing? - Page 2 Empty Re: Should a politicians private life affect his public standing?

Post by phildidge on Thu Jun 27, 2019 3:12 am

eddie wrote:
phildidge wrote:I would also add another point to this Eddie. What if someone is not married or in a realationshiip and has simple enjoyed a life of care free sex. Never hurting anyone. Would that then discount them from being a good leader, if they then had all the attributes of being a good political leader?

What personal views we may have around relationships are simple arbitrary and on what we expect of others. To me, that is never the bases for whether someone is a good leader or not.

That’s just my opinion.

Then you are forever judging people for their past mistakes Eddie
What you are saying is you are unable to forgive
I on the other hand think that is unfair to judge people for their past relationship mistakes.

phildidge

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Eilzel on Thu Jun 27, 2019 4:16 am

eddie wrote:

That’s just my opinion.

You don't have to 'like' them as a person, but:

If a leader and their administration are doing such a good job that the economy is booming, people have jobs and mostly get a fair wage, there is no immigration crisis, people are steadily becoming more accepting and tolerant, there are no threats of major armed conflicts etc... then why on earth would anyone consider voting AGAINST them just because they did something with someone they shouldn't have???

You'd risk national and economic prosperity by voting the other person just because the guy in charge (who is doing a stellar job) was unfaithful to his Mrs?

"The beginning of wisdom is the definition of terms" Socrates
Eilzel
Eilzel
Speaker of the House

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Syl on Thu Jun 27, 2019 11:25 am

No one likes a cheater, but to be honest, if everyone was judged in their public life on how they act or have acted in the past in their private lives......I think very few people would pass muster.

What I personally cant stand are the hypocrites who preach family values etc.....whilst practicing the opposite of what they themselves preach.

Syl

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2