Why is life expectancy faltering?

Go down

Why is life expectancy faltering? Empty Why is life expectancy faltering?

Post by phildidge on Sun Jun 23, 2019 8:14 am

For the first time in 100 years, Britons are dying earlier. The UK now has the worst health trends in western Europe – and doctors and experts believe that the impact of austerity is a major factor

In a few days, a team of researchers, statisticians and geographers will gather at University College London to tackle an issue of increasing concern for doctors and health experts. They will investigate why many UK citizens are now living shorter, less healthy lives compared with the recent past.

The emergence of faltering life expectancy in Britain has caused particular alarm because it reverses a trend that has continued, almost unbroken, for close to 100 years. Over this period, lives have lengthened continuously, blessing more and more British people with the gift of old age.

https://www.theguardian.com/society/2019/jun/23/why-is-life-expectancy-falling?utm_term=Autofeed&CMP=twt_gu&utm_medium=&utm_source=Twitter#Echobox=1561270854

phildidge

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Why is life expectancy faltering? Empty Re: Why is life expectancy faltering?

Post by Raggamuffin on Sun Jun 23, 2019 9:02 am

I'm not sure that a lot of people want the gift of very old age. Laughing

"There never was an Aaron, counselor".
Raggamuffin
Raggamuffin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by nicko on Sun Jun 23, 2019 1:51 pm

I'm 78, I think that's old enough when you can't do your laces up !
nicko
nicko

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Vintage on Sun Jun 23, 2019 4:04 pm

It could be good news, after all the 'ageing population' are cited all the time as being a burden economically and otherwise, all the ills of the world are down to them apparently, the problems in the NHS, bed and house blocking, the cost of state pensions (they are all very rich you know), television licenses and even Brexit.

Vintage

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Fred Moletrousers on Sun Jun 23, 2019 6:09 pm

nicko wrote:I'm 78, I think that's old enough when you can't do your laces up !

Come on, old pal...no surrender!

I'm now 80, and only today I did my three mile brisk walk (as recorded on my phone app) in 61 minutes, followed by a day out in the garden.

I then had a large (VERY large actually) G&T and gave my beloved old Landy a wash down...and have now come in to contemplate cooking a meal.

And all that after a night with my younger girlfriend!!!!!!!!!!
Fred Moletrousers
Fred Moletrousers
MABEL, THE GREAT ZOG

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Syl on Sun Jun 23, 2019 7:27 pm

80 will do me fine....till I get to 79 then I may change my mind. Laughing

I am nowhere near that yet, but I have already lived to see my son and grandsons grow into fine men....and that for me is the most important thing.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Jules on Mon Jun 24, 2019 1:39 am

The human lifespan won't just keep increasing indefinitely, it obviously HAS to start levelling off sometime. That's not a question of "faltering" it's just cold hard reality. Laughing

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Eilzel on Mon Jun 24, 2019 1:53 am

Surely modern dietary habits and increasingly sedantry lifestyles are partly to blame scratch

"The beginning of wisdom is the definition of terms" Socrates
Eilzel
Eilzel
Speaker of the House

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Jules on Mon Jun 24, 2019 2:14 am

Those have to be the two main factors, yes, El. You could probably add modern day stresses to the equation too.  

But even in the absence of all those adverse factors, life expectancy would still plateau off eventually.

The average 100 yo is falling to bits - our bodies are not designed to last indefinitely. The heart muscle was not designed to beat for ever lol.

Good thread! 

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Eilzel on Mon Jun 24, 2019 5:16 am

Jules wrote:Those have to be the two main factors, yes, El. You could probably add modern day stresses to the equation too.  

But even in the absence of all those adverse factors, life expectancy would still plateau off eventually.

The average 100 yo is falling to bits - our bodies are not designed to last indefinitely. The heart muscle was not designed to beat for ever lol.

Good thread! 

Yeah, the idea of being 100 years old is unappealing, since most people are already surviving on all manner of medication by that point anyway. Of course, if I were a healthy 90 year old I might think much differently Razz

But yes, generally speaking a lot of extremely old people are given prolonged existences which do not seem immediately comfortable at all. I wonder when/if I reach that point how I'd feel about continuing through the same though - it is the most innate human instinct to survive at all costs after all.

"The beginning of wisdom is the definition of terms" Socrates
Eilzel
Eilzel
Speaker of the House

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Jules on Mon Jun 24, 2019 2:11 pm

Indeed. 

True advancement in science isn't just a question of pushing the boundaries of lifespan length with a ton of drugs like  antibiotics, hypotensives etc.  It'd be more meaningful if science could actually slow down the ageing process itself - possibly thru more stem cell research. 

No use getting into the Guiness book of records for longevity if the person has, say, crippling arthritis & dementia. 

Apologies for the downbeat tone of my posts, I think I will leave the subject now cos I'm making myself depressed.  Why is life expectancy faltering? 3489511464

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by nicko on Mon Jun 24, 2019 4:34 pm

Not as much as me !
nicko
nicko

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie on Mon Jun 24, 2019 8:12 pm

Eilzel wrote:Surely modern dietary habits and increasingly sedantry lifestyles are partly to blame scratch

Of course they are...

eddie
King of Beards. Keeper of the Whip. Top Chef. BEES!!!!!! Mushroom muncher. Spider aficionado!

View user profile

Back to top Go down