'Harmful' gender stereotypes in adverts banned

Go down

'Harmful' gender stereotypes in adverts banned Empty 'Harmful' gender stereotypes in adverts banned

Post by phildidge on Wed Jun 19, 2019 8:34 pm

A ban on adverts featuring "harmful gender stereotypes" or those which are likely to cause "serious or widespread offence" has come into force.

The ban covers scenarios such as a man with his feet up while a woman cleans, or a woman failing to park a car.

The UK's advertising watchdog introduced the ban because it found some portrayals could play a part in "limiting people's potential".

It said it was pleased with how advertisers had responded.

The new rule follows a review of gender stereotyping in adverts by the Advertising Standards Authority (ASA) - the organisation that administers the UK Advertising Codes, which cover both broadcast and non-broadcast adverts, including online and social media.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-48628678

phildidge

View user profile

Back to top Go down

'Harmful' gender stereotypes in adverts banned Empty Re: 'Harmful' gender stereotypes in adverts banned

Post by Vintage on Wed Jun 19, 2019 10:02 pm

Does that include Reginald Molehusband I wonder?

Vintage

View user profile

Back to top Go down

'Harmful' gender stereotypes in adverts banned Empty Re: 'Harmful' gender stereotypes in adverts banned

Post by phildidge on Thu Jun 20, 2019 9:24 pm

Vintage wrote:Does that include Reginald Molehusband I wonder?

Indeed Vintage

Or the earlier Gillete advert this year that portrayed men in a poor light?

I think this is more of a view of the country becoming a nanny state, based on censurship.

I mean most of the adds that take the mick out of gender sterotypes are humour based. I see this as nothing short of a sense of humour failure.

I think this quote I read on twitter sums it up well

In the age of social media, are advertisements really that influential? Young people are developing anxiety and self-esteem problems because of *Instagram*. But how can one legislate away attractive friends portraying glamorous lives?

phildidge

View user profile

Back to top Go down