Pope Francis decries modern 'culture of insults' on social media

Go down

Pope Francis decries modern 'culture of insults' on social media Empty Pope Francis decries modern 'culture of insults' on social media

Post by eddie on Mon Jun 10, 2019 2:31 pm

The more people use online platforms the less social they become, warns the pontiff as he bemoans the trend "to hurl adjectives".

The pontiff, whose own official Twitter account @Pontifex has 18 million followers, told worshippers at the Vatican that "nowadays it is fashionable to hurl adjectives", and urged people to respond "to malice with goodness".

In his homily during Pentecost mass in St Peter's Square, Pope Francis noted that "the more we use social media, the less social we are becoming".

Warning of the dangers of the online echo chamber, the head of the Roman Catholic Church highlighted the temptation to cling to "our little group, to the things and people we like", cautioning that it was only a "small step from a nest to a sect, even within the church".

The papal intervention comes amid continuing concern over the threat posed by social media to people's mental health, including anxiety and depression.

Globally, more than five billion people are signed up to one or more of the "Big 5" social media platforms.

These platforms are facing growing scrutiny from governments and users around the world over issues like addiction, data misuse and enabling fake news.

The tech firms themselves have said they are working to tackle some of the biggest concerns to make their sites friendlier and healthier places to be.

Last year, the Royal Society For Public Health (RSPH) said getting young people to cut down on their social media use was as important as other health campaigns around smoking and drinking.

https://news.sky.com/story/pope-francis-decries-modern-culture-of-insults-on-social-media-11738275

Please stop saying "You can't joke about anything anymore". You can. You can joke about whatever the fuck you like. And some people won't like it and they will tell you they don't like it. And then it's up to you whether you give a fuck or not. And so on. It's a good system. ~ Ricky Gervais
eddie
eddie
King of Beards. Keeper of the Whip. Top Chef. BEES!!!!!! Mushroom muncher. Spider aficionado!

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Pope Francis decries modern 'culture of insults' on social media Empty Re: Pope Francis decries modern 'culture of insults' on social media

Post by Original Quill on Mon Jun 10, 2019 3:14 pm

Remember when TV was causing violence and a rise in juvenile delinquents?

"I don't stand by anything."  ― Donald Trump, interview with John Dickerson, 5.1.17...

Normal is broken.

“That's libertarians for you — anarchists who want police protection from their slaves.” ― Kim Stanley Robinson, Green Mars
Original Quill
Original Quill

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Pope Francis decries modern 'culture of insults' on social media Empty Re: Pope Francis decries modern 'culture of insults' on social media

Post by eddie on Mon Jun 10, 2019 3:20 pm

Are you saying that “there’s always something” ?

Please stop saying "You can't joke about anything anymore". You can. You can joke about whatever the fuck you like. And some people won't like it and they will tell you they don't like it. And then it's up to you whether you give a fuck or not. And so on. It's a good system. ~ Ricky Gervais
eddie
eddie
King of Beards. Keeper of the Whip. Top Chef. BEES!!!!!! Mushroom muncher. Spider aficionado!

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Original Quill on Mon Jun 10, 2019 3:49 pm

I don't know.  But it is ane auld sang.

"I don't stand by anything."  ― Donald Trump, interview with John Dickerson, 5.1.17...

Normal is broken.

“That's libertarians for you — anarchists who want police protection from their slaves.” ― Kim Stanley Robinson, Green Mars
Original Quill
Original Quill

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie on Mon Jun 10, 2019 3:54 pm

Yeah I often think that about English people (not all).
First we hated the blacks, then the Pakistanis and Indians and now the Eastern European’s.

eddie
eddie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Vintage on Tue Jun 11, 2019 1:41 am

There was a time when you'd be suspicious of the neighbouring village, probably still goes on somewhere even now.

Vintage

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Fred Moletrousers on Tue Jun 11, 2019 2:52 am

Vintage wrote:There was a time when you'd be suspicious of the neighbouring village, probably still goes on somewhere even now.

It does.........
Fred Moletrousers
Fred Moletrousers
MABEL, THE GREAT ZOG

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Reilly on Tue Jun 11, 2019 11:47 am

Fuck the pope, he's a disgraceful, low-energy, loser snowflake.

- Ryan Adams
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly
Cowboy King. Dread Pirate of the Guadalupe. Enemy of the American people.

View user profile http://www.newsfixboard.com

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie on Tue Jun 11, 2019 12:06 pm

Ben Reilly wrote:Fuck the pope, he's a disgraceful, low-energy, loser snowflake.

You’re going to hell.

eddie
eddie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Original Quill on Tue Jun 11, 2019 12:09 pm

Ben Reilly wrote:Fuck the pope, he's a disgraceful, low-energy, loser snowflake.

WOW! What brought that on?

I thought Francis was popular.

Normal is broken.

Original Quill
Original Quill

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Reilly on Tue Jun 11, 2019 12:14 pm

Original Quill wrote:

WOW!  What brought that on?

I thought Francis was popular.

Meant that as a jab at Trump.

- Ryan Adams
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie on Tue Jun 11, 2019 12:15 pm

What’s the pope got to do with Trump?

eddie
eddie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Reilly on Tue Jun 11, 2019 12:16 pm

eddie wrote:What’s the pope got to do with Trump?

Well, for one, Trump practically communicates via insult, so that relates to the topic. Trump also called the Pope "disgraceful."

- Ryan Adams
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie on Tue Jun 11, 2019 12:19 pm

Ben Reilly wrote:

Well, for one, Trump practically communicates via insult, so that relates to the topic. Trump also called the Pope "disgraceful."

I’ve been trumped on me own thread so I ‘ave!

eddie
eddie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Reilly on Tue Jun 11, 2019 12:21 pm

eddie wrote:
Ben Reilly wrote:

I’ve been trumped on me own thread so I ‘ave!

YOU LUCKY SOD!

Sorry, eddie.

- Ryan Adams
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly

Back to top Go down

Post by Jules on Thu Jun 13, 2019 12:23 am

"The Social Media has made people very anti-Social". 

So true !! Pope Francis decries modern 'culture of insults' on social media 3489511464 Pope Francis decries modern 'culture of insults' on social media 3489511464

View user profile

Back to top Go down