Mexico Tarriffs

Go down

Mexico Tarriffs Empty Mexico Tarriffs

Post by Cass on Fri May 31, 2019 3:47 am

Trump announces tariffs on Mexico in effort to stop migrants coming to the US

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/politics/2019/05/30/trump-announces-tariffs-mexico-over-migrant-influx-across-southern-border/1293319001/

Good god almighty, he is one stupid man. This is really going to hit my state hard. Luckily we can afford to deal with the rising prices of food and labor but it’s going to hurt so many, including his dumbass supporters. Mexico will just find someone else to trade with. China is already buying soybeans from Russia instead of the US. What a complete clusterfuck.

the Nerd Queen of Nerds, the Lover of Books who Cooks

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Mexico Tarriffs Empty Re: Mexico Tarriffs

Post by Original Quill on Fri May 31, 2019 4:56 pm

And Mexico will, in turn, retaliate by imposing tariffs on US products.  The net effect of all this is to shrink the free flow of goods and services internationally, thus weakening global economics.

The Immediate effect of this is to nix the new north American trade agreement, NAFTA 2.0, commonly referred to as U.S.-Mexico-Canada Agreement (USMCA).

What if, when it's all over, Mexico refuses to lift its retaliatory measures.  He's given them a bargaining chip, ya know.

"I don't stand by anything."  ― Donald Trump, interview with John Dickerson, 5.1.17...

Normal is broken.

“That's libertarians for you — anarchists who want police protection from their slaves.” ― Kim Stanley Robinson, Green Mars
Original Quill
Original Quill

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Maddog on Sat Jun 01, 2019 3:09 pm

Cass wrote:Trump announces tariffs on Mexico in effort to stop migrants coming to the US

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/politics/2019/05/30/trump-announces-tariffs-mexico-over-migrant-influx-across-southern-border/1293319001/

Good god almighty, he is one stupid man. This is really going to hit my state hard. Luckily we can afford to deal with the rising prices of food and labor but it’s going to hurt so many, including his dumbass supporters. Mexico will just find someone else to trade with. China is already buying soybeans from Russia instead of the US. What a complete clusterfuck.

Tariffs, corporate taxes and minimum wage laws are all paid by the consumer. Trump is just another politician pandering to the stupid people that don't know this.

noun

The policy or practice on the part of people in positions of authority of restricting the freedom and responsibilities of those subordinate to them in the subordinates' supposed best interest.
Maddog
Maddog

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Tommy Monk on Sat Jun 01, 2019 6:39 pm

It's funny how many leftys there are, who are against tariffs when it is trump saying that he will impose them... when the imposition of tariffs are generally seen "advocated mainly by parties that hold far-left or left-wing economic positions, while economically right-wing political parties generally support free trade."

While these same leftys are in favour of remaining in the EU... which has a huge range of tariffs imposed on countries in the rest of the world outside the EU...

Read about the EU tariffs here...

https://briefingsforbrexit.com/why-the-internationalist-left-should-oppose-the-eu-customs-union/

Just more lefty hypocrisy!!!

lol!

'The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it.'  — George Orwell
Tommy Monk
Tommy Monk

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Original Quill on Sat Jun 01, 2019 10:17 pm

Tommy Monk wrote:

It's funny how many leftys there are, who are against tariffs when it is trump saying that he will impose them... when the imposition of tariffs are generally seen "advocated mainly by parties that hold far-left or left-wing economic positions, while economically right-wing political parties generally support free trade."

While these same leftys are in favour of remaining in the EU... which has a huge range of tariffs imposed on countries in the rest of the world outside the EU...

https://briefingsforbrexit.com/why-the-internationalist-left-should-oppose-the-eu-customs-union/

lol!

Well, since you are that ill-informed, let me begin by saying removal of barriers to international trade was and is the theme championed by righty's. A RW businessman would oppose another tax...which is what tariffs are. Not only that, but a global economy allows the RW businesses to go where labor is cheap.

Trump isn't always RW. He's had a hard-on about China for decades. Other than that, he is just using tariffs as a punitive measure because he doesn't give a shiet about America.

"I don't stand by anything."  ― Donald Trump, interview with John Dickerson, 5.1.17...

Normal is broken.

“That's libertarians for you — anarchists who want police protection from their slaves.” ― Kim Stanley Robinson, Green Mars
Original Quill
Original Quill

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Cass on Sun Jun 02, 2019 12:20 am

Tommy Monk wrote:

It's funny how many leftys there are, who are against tariffs when it is trump saying that he will impose them... when the imposition of tariffs are generally seen "advocated mainly by parties that hold far-left or left-wing economic positions, while economically right-wing political parties generally support free trade."

lol!

These tarriffs are not for the betterment of the country’s economics but being used as a punitive measure against a country won’t do what the toddler in chief wants. He is playing to his base and his base is far too stupid to realize that it will financially hurt themselves. They just heard the word immigration and cheered. Idiots.

And guess what? I’m a lefty and I’m not against reasonable tariffs but way to generalize. Again.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by 'Wolfie on Sun Jun 02, 2019 1:38 am

rabbit

Despite the usual ignorant bullshit from Tommy,  there is one simple reason why Amerika's extreme right-wing administration is imposing new tariffs against Mexico...

It's the only way that the Trumpster can finance his border 'wall'..   Mexico won't pay for it, and Congress won't give him the money, so Donnie Dumpster imposes a new tax to bankroll his cronies.

Those morons who voted Trump in will get a rude shock next time they want to upgrade their 'Amerikan made' full-size pickups imported from Mexico,  or their Chinese-built 'Milwaukee' power tools,  with an extra 20% tariff added at the wholesale level  !!!

Henry David Thoreau
'Wolfie
'Wolfie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Maddog on Sun Jun 02, 2019 3:44 pm

Tommy Monk wrote:

lol!

Plenty of hypocrisy on both sides. That's what makes Trump so amusing. He makes the liberal, protectionist upset about tariffs, and he makes supposed free marketeers, support tariffs.

noun

The policy or practice on the part of people in positions of authority of restricting the freedom and responsibilities of those subordinate to them in the subordinates' supposed best interest.
Maddog
Maddog

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Original Quill on Sun Jun 02, 2019 5:00 pm

WhoseYourWolfie wrote:rabbit

Despite the usual ignorant bullshit from Tommy,  there is one simple reason why Amerika's extreme right-wing administration is imposing new tariffs against Mexico...

It's the only way that the Trumpster can finance his border 'wall'..   Mexico won't pay for it, and Congress won't give him the money, so Donnie Dumpster imposes a new tax to bankroll his cronies.

Those morons who voted Trump in will get a rude shock next time they want to upgrade their 'Amerikan made' full-size pickups imported from Mexico,  or their Chinese-built 'Milwaukee' power tools,  with an extra 20% tariff added at the wholesale level  !!!

Tariff's are never a source of revenue.  Quite naturally, higher prices = refuse to buy.  Any economist will tell you that; the basic curve in economic models is, the higher the price, the fewer the purchases.  Writ larger, tariffs dissuade trade.  The lower the trade, the lesser the yield in tariffs.  So, tariffs are not a good revenue-catcher as these things go.

Tariffs are traditionally used, reciprocally, to punish wrongdoers in global trade.  So Trump is not trying to raise revenues at all.  Rather, he is weaponizing tariffs beyond the trade context.  He's using tariffs as punishment toward another country for not doing his bidding.

What Trump doesn't realize about economics is everything is a two-way street.  Trade is a two-way street: if you dissuade their trade, you also dissuade our trade.  We are, after all, trading partners.  If you dissuade goods coming from China, China has less to purchase our soy beans.  Everything you do to another nation, you do to yourself.

The effect with Mexico is much larger as Mexico is America’s number one trading partner.  It won’t be a mere loss of soy beans, but auto parts (made in Mexico), tools, computers,  household appliances, and the millions of articles that go into making US goods.  Try adding 20% to the cost of your average Ford.

Trump is the proverbial loser who throws a punch, and it lands on his own nose.  He’s like the guy who starts sawing on the branch he is sitting on.  He’s a punch-drunk combatant who has no sense of strategy, but only likes the combat.  He’s the classic loser who would be homeless, had not his family money repeatedly shored him up.

Normal is broken.

Original Quill
Original Quill

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Reilly on Mon Jun 03, 2019 7:46 pm

Maddog wrote:
Tommy Monk wrote:

lol!

Plenty of hypocrisy on both sides. That's what makes Trump so amusing. He makes the liberal, protectionist upset about tariffs, and he makes supposed free marketeers, support tariffs.

I think tariffs should be used quite sparingly and with laser-sharp focus. I've held this position since I studied economics in high school.

But yeah, it is funny to see how the right will literally embrace anything Trump proposes. I wish he'd propose government-run health care, which he did advocate at one point.

- Ryan Adams
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly
Cowboy King. Dread Pirate of the Guadalupe. Enemy of the American people.

View user profile http://www.newsfixboard.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Cass on Mon Jun 03, 2019 7:49 pm

Ben Reilly wrote:
Maddog wrote:

I think tariffs should be used quite sparingly and with laser-sharp focus. I've held this position since I studied economics in high school.

But yeah, it is funny to see how the right will literally embrace anything Trump proposes. I wish he'd propose government-run health care, which he did advocate at one point.

+1

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Maddog on Mon Jun 03, 2019 7:50 pm

Ben Reilly wrote:
Maddog wrote:

It's funny to watch the hypocrisy of both the right, and the left when it comes to Trump. Stop being so biased. You're missing half the show.

noun

Maddog
Maddog

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Maddog on Mon Jun 03, 2019 7:55 pm

Let's be real. Tariffs sucked when Obama did them, and they suck when Trump does them.

That folks, is what you call a consistent not hypocritical position.

noun

Maddog
Maddog

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Cass on Mon Jun 03, 2019 8:02 pm

Maddog wrote:Let's be real. Tariffs sucked when Obama did them, and they suck when Trump does them.

Did Ben or I say any different? No we did not. We said that we agree with reasonable, laser sharp tariffs.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Maddog on Mon Jun 03, 2019 9:21 pm

Cass wrote:
Maddog wrote:Let's be real. Tariffs sucked when Obama did them, and they suck when Trump does them.

Did Ben or I say any different? No we did not. We said that we agree with reasonable, laser sharp tariffs.

Did I qualify the type of tariff?

You and Ben will flip your mind based on who is applying the tariff.

Obama's tariffs against China, were a complete failure. Let me guess, one of the two of you started a thread saying as much a few years ago didn't you?

noun

Maddog
Maddog

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Cass on Mon Jun 03, 2019 9:36 pm

Maddog wrote:
Cass wrote:

Did I qualify the type of tariff?

You and Ben will flip your mind based on who is applying the tariff.

Obama's tariffs against China, were a complete failure. Let me guess, one of the two of you started a thread saying as much a few years ago didn't you?

I agree with you on Obama’s tariffs. There’s a lot of stuff he did that I didn’t agree with. Surprise.

I don’t know if did or didn’t start a thread or comment on it, I’m just commenting on this current thread now.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Original Quill on Mon Jun 10, 2019 4:40 pm

Um...never mind.  Looks like another nothing burger.  Trump withdrew the threat of tariffs...which were due today.

He claims Mexico complied.  But the only thing Mexico put on the table were things that were agreed to in other matters.  If they traded used goods for new promises, Trump got buffaloed.

Looks like the child-in-chief lost another one.  All talk and no substance.  He does this a lot.  When he denounced NAFTA, he replaced it with the USCMA...new name, same old shite.  Identical...Trump relies heavily on people not reading.  Rolling Eyes

Normal is broken.

Original Quill
Original Quill

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum