A proposed $500 million cricket stadium in ... Texas?

NewsFix :: Sport :: Sport

Go down

A proposed $500 million cricket stadium in ... Texas? Empty A proposed $500 million cricket stadium in ... Texas?

Post by Ben Reilly on Tue Apr 23, 2019 10:37 pm

The city of Allen, a northern suburb of Dallas, occupies a special place in the history of sports stadiums: it was the instigator of what once was dubbed a high school football stadium arms race. In 2012 it unveiled Eagle Stadium, the 18,000-seat, $60m home of the Allen High School Eagles. Not too many years later nearby McKinney opened a stadium for its own high schools worth $70m.

Lately, Allen once again has taken center stage in a curious stadium proposal, one that until recently formed part of an ambitious multibillion-dollar plan to spread cricket across the US.

The Allen proposal calls for a $500m, 15,000-capacity stadium, the anchor of a mixed-use complex that would also include training facilities, residential and retail units, and office space. For a game not exactly part of the sporting firmament in Texas’s sprawling Dallas-Fort Worth metroplex, that’s an incredible potential investment.

The aim is to establish a footprint for the world’s second most popular sport in a country that, outside of a few communities, pays cricket little heed. In the grand vision, the stadium would eventually play host to a professional team competing in a US-wide Twenty20 league. It would also stage visiting international teams and exhibition matches as well as other sports and events, according to reports.

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2019/apr/23/cricket-stadium-texas-allen

Damn Southerners! Laughing
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly
Cowboy King. Dread Pirate of the Guadalupe. Enemy of the American people.

View user profile http://www.newsfixboard.com

Back to top Go down

A proposed $500 million cricket stadium in ... Texas? Empty Re: A proposed $500 million cricket stadium in ... Texas?

Post by Maddog on Wed Apr 24, 2019 1:34 am

>THE Ben Reilly< wrote:
The city of Allen, a northern suburb of Dallas, occupies a special place in the history of sports stadiums: it was the instigator of what once was dubbed a high school football stadium arms race. In 2012 it unveiled Eagle Stadium, the 18,000-seat, $60m home of the Allen High School Eagles. Not too many years later nearby McKinney opened a stadium for its own high schools worth $70m.

Lately, Allen once again has taken center stage in a curious stadium proposal, one that until recently formed part of an ambitious multibillion-dollar plan to spread cricket across the US.

The Allen proposal calls for a $500m, 15,000-capacity stadium, the anchor of a mixed-use complex that would also include training facilities, residential and retail units, and office space. For a game not exactly part of the sporting firmament in Texas’s sprawling Dallas-Fort Worth metroplex, that’s an incredible potential investment.

The aim is to establish a footprint for the world’s second most popular sport in a country that, outside of a few communities, pays cricket little heed. In the grand vision, the stadium would eventually play host to a professional team competing in a US-wide Twenty20 league. It would also stage visiting international teams and exhibition matches as well as other sports and events, according to reports.

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2019/apr/23/cricket-stadium-texas-allen

Damn Southerners! Laughing

I think the brakes are getting tapped on that last I heard.

I already teased the local Arlington politicians about how Allen was stealing their Cricket Stadium. tongue

noun

The policy or practice on the part of people in positions of authority of restricting the freedom and responsibilities of those subordinate to them in the subordinates' supposed best interest.
Maddog
Maddog

View user profile

Back to top Go down

A proposed $500 million cricket stadium in ... Texas? Empty Re: A proposed $500 million cricket stadium in ... Texas?

Post by Cass on Wed Apr 24, 2019 8:28 pm

Cricket??? $500 million?? Texas?? A proposed $500 million cricket stadium in ... Texas? 3489511464

the Nerd Queen of Nerds, the Lover of Books who Cooks

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Maddog on Thu Apr 25, 2019 1:20 am

Cass wrote:Cricket??? $500 million?? Texas?? A proposed $500 million cricket stadium in ... Texas? 3489511464

We have a pretty big Pakistani and Indian population now. They come here to be victims of racism. They are a funny lot I guess. Wink

noun

The policy or practice on the part of people in positions of authority of restricting the freedom and responsibilities of those subordinate to them in the subordinates' supposed best interest.
Maddog
Maddog

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by nicko on Thu Apr 25, 2019 5:51 am

I don't like Cricket , no, I love it !
nicko
nicko

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Cass on Thu Apr 25, 2019 5:59 am

Maddog wrote:
Cass wrote:Cricket??? $500 million?? Texas?? A proposed $500 million cricket stadium in ... Texas? 3489511464

We have a pretty big Pakistani and Indian population now. They come here to be victims of racism. They are a funny lot I guess. Wink  

Well good luck to them. I bet that I would actually watch a whole Test Series if this happens in my lifetime lol!

the Nerd Queen of Nerds, the Lover of Books who Cooks

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Maddog on Thu Apr 25, 2019 2:21 pm

nicko wrote:I don't like Cricket , no, I love it !

I can't watch a game that takes a month and a half to complete. Cool

noun

Maddog
Maddog

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by nicko on Thu Apr 25, 2019 2:45 pm

I believe my post was about a song, no one heard of it ?
nicko
nicko

View user profile

Back to top Go down

NewsFix :: Sport :: Sport

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum