Texas baby's rare disease: He was born without skin

Go down

Texas baby's rare disease: He was born without skin Empty Texas baby's rare disease: He was born without skin

Post by Ben Reilly on Wed Apr 17, 2019 8:29 pm

The Texas parents of a baby born without skin are hoping that Houston specialists can help their son who's so fragile he has only been held twice by his mother in three months.

Ja’bari Gray was born Jan. 1 weighing 3 pounds and missing his skin, except on his head and legs. His mother and father, Priscilla Maldonado Gray and Marvin Gray said the pregnancy was progressing normally until 37 weeks. Doctors noticed the baby wasn't gaining weight and other issues and decided on an emergency cesarean section, Maldonado Gray revealed on a GoFundMe page.

"It was just completely silent," his mother told News 4 San Antonio of the baby's birth. "You expect people to be happy after you have a baby and I had no idea until they put me in a room and explained what was going on. I was just confused, lost. I didn’t know what was going on. What what was going to happen."

Doctors at Methodist Hospital in San Antonio initially diagnosed the baby with aplasia cutis, a rare skin condition in which someone is born without skin, reported the San Antonio Express-News.

https://eu.usatoday.com/story/life/allthemoms/2019/04/17/texas-baby-born-without-skin-doctors-look-for-answers-aplasia-cutis-epidermolysis-bullosa/3495090002/

Did some quick research and it appears this disease can be caused by the mother taking certain prescription drugs during pregnancy. So sad, and the photos some news outlets have published (not at this source) are pretty mortifying.

Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly
Cowboy King. Dread Pirate of the Guadalupe. Enemy of the American people.

Posts : 26171
Join date : 2013-01-19
Age : 44
Location : Essex

View user profile http://www.newsfixboard.com

Back to top Go down

Texas baby's rare disease: He was born without skin Empty Re: Texas baby's rare disease: He was born without skin

Post by Cass on Thu Apr 18, 2019 2:12 am

The photos I’ve seen are horrific. She’s only been able to hold him twice Sad

_________________
Do you think you'll be the guy - to make the Queen of the Angels sigh?
Cass
Cass
the Nerd Queen of Nerds, the Lover of Books who Cooks

Posts : 5790
Join date : 2014-01-19
Age : 51

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Texas baby's rare disease: He was born without skin Empty Re: Texas baby's rare disease: He was born without skin

Post by nicko on Thu Apr 18, 2019 6:32 am

Sorry to be blunt, but why did they let the Baby live ?
nicko
nicko

Posts : 11614
Join date : 2013-12-07
Age : 78
Location : rainbow bridge

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Texas baby's rare disease: He was born without skin Empty Re: Texas baby's rare disease: He was born without skin

Post by eddie on Fri Apr 19, 2019 8:28 pm

nicko wrote:Sorry to be blunt, but why did they let the Baby live ?

You’re not being blunt, you’re being honest.

_________________
“You never really understand a person until you consider things from his point of view.”
- Harper Lee
eddie
eddie
King of Beards. Keeper of the Whip. Top Chef. BEES!!!!!! Mushroom muncher. Spider aficionado!

Posts : 37946
Join date : 2013-07-28
Age : 48
Location : England

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Texas baby's rare disease: He was born without skin Empty Re: Texas baby's rare disease: He was born without skin

Post by Cass on Mon Apr 22, 2019 5:11 am

nicko wrote:Sorry to be blunt, but why did they let the Baby live ?

I say from afar that I couldn’t let the baby live, but to be honest, you never know how you will react until you’re in that desperately tragic situation.

_________________
Do you think you'll be the guy - to make the Queen of the Angels sigh?
Cass
Cass
the Nerd Queen of Nerds, the Lover of Books who Cooks

Posts : 5790
Join date : 2014-01-19
Age : 51

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Texas baby's rare disease: He was born without skin Empty Re: Texas baby's rare disease: He was born without skin

Post by Maddog on Mon Apr 22, 2019 3:42 pm

nicko wrote:Sorry to be blunt, but why did they let the Baby live ?

The condition wasn't known until 37 weeks. Are you saying they should have withheld medical care after birth?

_________________
pa·ter·nal·ism

noun

The policy or practice on the part of people in positions of authority of restricting the freedom and responsibilities of those subordinate to them in the subordinates' supposed best interest.
Maddog
Maddog

Posts : 4498
Join date : 2017-09-23
Location : Texas

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Texas baby's rare disease: He was born without skin Empty Re: Texas baby's rare disease: He was born without skin

Post by Maddog on Mon Apr 22, 2019 3:42 pm

>THE Ben Reilly< wrote:
The Texas parents of a baby born without skin are hoping that Houston specialists can help their son who's so fragile he has only been held twice by his mother in three months.

Ja’bari Gray was born Jan. 1 weighing 3 pounds and missing his skin, except on his head and legs. His mother and father, Priscilla Maldonado Gray and Marvin Gray said the pregnancy was progressing normally until 37 weeks. Doctors noticed the baby wasn't gaining weight and other issues and decided on an emergency cesarean section, Maldonado Gray revealed on a GoFundMe page.

"It was just completely silent," his mother told News 4 San Antonio of the baby's birth. "You expect people to be happy after you have a baby and I had no idea until they put me in a room and explained what was going on. I was just confused, lost. I didn’t know what was going on. What what was going to happen."

Doctors at Methodist Hospital in San Antonio initially diagnosed the baby with aplasia cutis, a rare skin condition in which someone is born without skin, reported the San Antonio Express-News.  

https://eu.usatoday.com/story/life/allthemoms/2019/04/17/texas-baby-born-without-skin-doctors-look-for-answers-aplasia-cutis-epidermolysis-bullosa/3495090002/

Did some quick research and it appears this disease can be caused by the mother taking certain prescription drugs during pregnancy. So sad, and the photos some news outlets have published (not at this source) are pretty mortifying.



Southerners!

_________________
pa·ter·nal·ism

noun

The policy or practice on the part of people in positions of authority of restricting the freedom and responsibilities of those subordinate to them in the subordinates' supposed best interest.
Maddog
Maddog

Posts : 4498
Join date : 2017-09-23
Location : Texas

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Texas baby's rare disease: He was born without skin Empty Re: Texas baby's rare disease: He was born without skin

Post by nicko on Mon Apr 22, 2019 4:35 pm

Maddog, if baby was born with this condition ,YES. If it only showed up after a few months, I don't know !
nicko
nicko

Posts : 11614
Join date : 2013-12-07
Age : 78
Location : rainbow bridge

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Texas baby's rare disease: He was born without skin Empty Re: Texas baby's rare disease: He was born without skin

Post by Maddog on Mon Apr 22, 2019 5:13 pm

nicko wrote:Maddog, if baby was born with this condition ,YES. If it only showed up after a few months,  I don't know !

Withholding medical care is illegal here.

What criteria would you even use to determine when care is withheld? What if a baby is born premature? Just let nature take its course?


_________________
pa·ter·nal·ism

noun

The policy or practice on the part of people in positions of authority of restricting the freedom and responsibilities of those subordinate to them in the subordinates' supposed best interest.
Maddog
Maddog

Posts : 4498
Join date : 2017-09-23
Location : Texas

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Texas baby's rare disease: He was born without skin Empty Re: Texas baby's rare disease: He was born without skin

Post by nicko on Mon Apr 22, 2019 6:50 pm

Don't put words in my mouth , I never said anything about Premature, Your obviously anti-abortion. I see terribly disabled children born, with Parents worn out looking after them, they have no chance of a normal life ,and your happy with that ?
nicko
nicko

Posts : 11614
Join date : 2013-12-07
Age : 78
Location : rainbow bridge

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Texas baby's rare disease: He was born without skin Empty Re: Texas baby's rare disease: He was born without skin

Post by Ben Reilly on Mon Apr 22, 2019 9:00 pm

I've read that in many countries, when someone (even a young child) gets a horrible disease like this, and the doctors give them their options, it's totally normal for the parents to quietly take the kids home and just make them as comfortable and happy as possible until the child dies.

I can't see anyone living a long happy life with a condition like this one.

_________________
There are two ways to get through life without ever having to actually think -- believe everything, or disbelieve everything.

-Unknown
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly
Cowboy King. Dread Pirate of the Guadalupe. Enemy of the American people.

Posts : 26171
Join date : 2013-01-19
Age : 44
Location : Essex

View user profile http://www.newsfixboard.com

Back to top Go down

Back to top


 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum