First-ever photo taken of a black hole

Go down

First-ever photo taken of a black hole Empty First-ever photo taken of a black hole

Post by Ben Reilly on Wed Apr 10, 2019 6:00 pm

First-ever photo taken of a black hole 7200

Astronomers have captured the first image of a black hole, heralding a revolution in our understanding of the universe’s most enigmatic objects.

The picture shows a halo of dust and gas, tracing the outline of a colossal black hole, at the heart of the Messier 87 galaxy, 55m light years from Earth.

The black hole itself – a cosmic trapdoor from which neither light nor matter can escape – is unseeable. But the latest observations take astronomers right to its threshold for the first time, illuminating the event horizon beyond which all known physical laws collapse.

https://www.theguardian.com/science/2019/apr/10/black-hole-picture-captured-for-first-time-in-space-breakthrough

Fascinating to think that about 100 years ago or so, physicists began the mathematical investigation that has led to this photo.

- Willie Nelson
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly
Cowboy King. Dread Pirate of the Guadalupe. God of Thunder.

http://www.newsfixboard.com

Back to top Go down

First-ever photo taken of a black hole Empty Re: First-ever photo taken of a black hole

Post by eddie on Wed Apr 10, 2019 6:57 pm

Science geek. Razz

Cool picture though.

~ Dalai Lama
eddie
eddie
King of Beards. Keeper of the Whip. Top Chef. BEES!!!!!! Mushroom muncher. Spider aficionado!

Back to top Go down

First-ever photo taken of a black hole Empty Re: First-ever photo taken of a black hole

Post by Ben Reilly on Wed Apr 10, 2019 7:08 pm

eddie wrote:Science geek. Razz

Cool picture though.  

It is, but it's quite enigmatic. This question could drive a person crazy:

If space is three-dimensional, and a black hole pulls all nearby matter and energy into itself, then why do we see a hole in this picture, rather than a glowing ball?

- Willie Nelson
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie on Wed Apr 10, 2019 8:14 pm

>THE Ben Reilly< wrote:

Cool picture though.  

If space is three-dimensional, and a black hole pulls all nearby matter and energy into itself, then why do we see a hole in this picture, rather than a glowing ball?

I don’t fucking know! I can’t even get my head around why the full moon always looks like Margaret Thatcher’s face. affraid

~ Dalai Lama
eddie
eddie
King of Beards. Keeper of the Whip. Top Chef. BEES!!!!!! Mushroom muncher. Spider aficionado!

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Reilly on Wed Apr 10, 2019 8:16 pm

eddie wrote:
>THE Ben Reilly< wrote:

Cool picture though.  

I don’t fucking know! I can’t even get my head around why the full moon always looks like Margaret Thatcher’s face. affraid

Don't fret, babe, this is fake news. Everybody knows the first photo of a black hole had to do with your mum anyway.

- Willie Nelson
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly

Back to top Go down

Post by veya_victaous on Thu Apr 11, 2019 10:38 am

>THE Ben Reilly< wrote:

Cool picture though.  

Can't you see it as a opaque ball with a dark center??  confused a bit like a fancy marble Suspect
imagine that this object looks the same from every direction

remember also this is a heavily processed image since it is actually pitch black as no light escapes it's gravity Smile

First-ever photo taken of a black hole ILGm0GF

p.s. heavily processed is an understatement Wink

We don't know the Questions... does that means we cannot seek the Answers?
veya_victaous
veya_victaous
The Mod Loki, Minister of Chaos & Candy, Emperor of the Southern Realms, Captain Kangaroo

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum