A U.S. Senator reveals why rape isn't always a simple matter of going to authorities

Go down

A U.S. Senator reveals why rape isn't always a simple matter of going to authorities Empty A U.S. Senator reveals why rape isn't always a simple matter of going to authorities

Post by Ben Reilly on Tue Mar 26, 2019 3:42 pm

There are more things in heaven and Earth, Horatio, / Than are dreamt of in your philosophy.

- Shakespeare

WASHINGTON — Arizona Sen. Martha McSally, a former Air Force colonel and one of the first female combat veterans elected to Congress, revealed she was raped by a superior officer during her military career but kept the attack secret out of fear of reprisal.

“Like so many women and men, I didn’t trust the system at the time,” she said during a hearing of the Senate Armed Services Committee. “I blamed myself. I was ashamed and confused. I thought I was strong but felt powerless. The perpetrators abused their position of power in profound ways.”

The revelation came as the committee heard from other military sexual assault victims, and questioned Pentagon officials on whether have done enough to address the problem.

Cadets at the three academies reported a sharp increase in unwanted sexual encounters in recent years.

Earlier this year, the Defense Department’s Sexual Assault Prevention and Response Office found the number of service academy cadets reporting unwanted sexual encounters increased almost 50 percent over the last three years, to 747 incidents in 2018.

That news has spurred a series of hearings and legislative proposals in recent weeks aimed at changing cultural norms within the military, and forcing more aggressive action by Defense Department leadership.

https://www.airforcetimes.com/news/pentagon-congress/2019/03/06/arizona-senator-reveals-she-was-raped-by-a-superior-officer-while-in-the-air-force/

The same elements are probably in play with most every person who comes forward years after the fact to claim that someone sexually harassed or assaulted them. The fact that they were pursuing a goal and felt that tolerating their treatment would be better for them than it would be to come forward.

Before you assume that someone accusing someone in power of sexual misconduct long after the fact is in it for money, or is part of a conspiracy, consider the fact that you don't know or understand how complicated their situation was at the time.

The pure and simple truth is rarely pure and never simple.

- John Green

-Ghandi
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly
Cowboy King. Dread Pirate of the Guadalupe. Enemy of the American people.

View user profile http://www.newsfixboard.com

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum