Women who's partners watch porn are more likely to suffer from eating disorders?

Go down

Women who's partners watch porn are more likely to suffer from eating disorders? Empty Women who's partners watch porn are more likely to suffer from eating disorders?

Post by Syl on Fri Feb 15, 2019 4:58 pm

Yes, that makes sense to me. If a man is watching porn all the time instead of her it may well make her feel insecure about her body.

"Women whose male romantic partners watch porn frequently are at greater risk of developing eating disorders, a new study suggests.
Researchers from Ohio State University found that women felt more pressure to have a thin body and lose weight when the men in their lives were regular consumers of porn.

The risk factors for eating disorders are complex and thought to involve genetic dispositions, particular brain chemistry and how the pressure of the world around people affects their psychology.

We often talk about the influences of media, family and friends on eating disorders, but little has been done to determine how a partner's influence might contribute to a woman's disordered eating, said lead study author Tracy Tylka, an Ohio State University psychology professor.
I't's a gap in the research and if certain partner variables are risk factors we should be giving them more attention.'
Tylka and her team suspected that women whose boyfriends or husbands watched a lot of porn might be at an increased risk for eating disorders.

So, the researchers surveyed over 500 women in the US, asking demographic questions and subtle ones that help psychologists identify eating disorders without asking about them out-right.

They also quizzed the study participants on the social pressures they felt from loved ones as well as the media to lose weight, and - asking a somewhat misfit question -how much porn their current and previous partners watched a week.
 
The link was clear: women whose partners watched as much as eight hours of pornography were at much greater risk."



https://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-6709039/Women-partners-watch-porn-greater-risk-eating-disorders.html

_________________
Not everyone likes me, but not everyone matters.
Syl
Syl

Posts : 18958
Join date : 2015-11-12
Location : Manchester

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Women who's partners watch porn are more likely to suffer from eating disorders? Empty Re: Women who's partners watch porn are more likely to suffer from eating disorders?

Post by Syl on Fri Feb 15, 2019 5:00 pm

So ladies, hands up who has ever suffered from an eating disorder.

And if your hand is up because of the reason above...why the hell are you still with someone who prefers to watch a make believe woman overacting on film rather than watching you?

_________________
Not everyone likes me, but not everyone matters.
Syl
Syl

Posts : 18958
Join date : 2015-11-12
Location : Manchester

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Women who's partners watch porn are more likely to suffer from eating disorders? Empty Re: Women who's partners watch porn are more likely to suffer from eating disorders?

Post by Maddog on Fri Feb 15, 2019 5:09 pm

Does it work the same in reverse?

_________________
pa·ter·nal·ism

noun

The policy or practice on the part of people in positions of authority of restricting the freedom and responsibilities of those subordinate to them in the subordinates' supposed best interest.
Maddog
Maddog

Posts : 4639
Join date : 2017-09-23
Location : Texas

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Women who's partners watch porn are more likely to suffer from eating disorders? Empty Re: Women who's partners watch porn are more likely to suffer from eating disorders?

Post by Syl on Fri Feb 15, 2019 5:16 pm

Maddog wrote:Does it work the same in reverse?

I dont know...if a man equates size with success I suppose it should. Shocked

_________________
Not everyone likes me, but not everyone matters.
Syl
Syl

Posts : 18958
Join date : 2015-11-12
Location : Manchester

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Women who's partners watch porn are more likely to suffer from eating disorders? Empty Re: Women who's partners watch porn are more likely to suffer from eating disorders?

Post by phildidge on Fri Feb 15, 2019 5:25 pm

Seems a rather dubious link and the jury is out on this it seems

They have attibuted this, through one question alongside other questions, like social media etc

I would have to actually read the study of course, but we are talking about people that already in many cases have insecurities. Or more to the view, there could be a genetic make up here.

Its a long push to look at porn being a reason.
 
It could simple add to an already low self esteem that people do have.

It also does not explain eating disorders, where their partners do not watch porn

phildidge

Posts : 6839
Join date : 2018-11-16

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Women who's partners watch porn are more likely to suffer from eating disorders? Empty Re: Women who's partners watch porn are more likely to suffer from eating disorders?

Post by Ben Reilly on Fri Feb 15, 2019 7:27 pm

Who the hell watches 8 hours of porn per week?

Aren't you done after 5-10 minutes anyway? Embarassed

_________________
Happiness is when what you think, what you say and what you do are in harmony.

-Ghandi
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly
Cowboy King. Dread Pirate of the Guadalupe. Enemy of the American people.

Posts : 26454
Join date : 2013-01-19
Age : 44
Location : Tesco's

View user profile http://www.newsfixboard.com

Back to top Go down

Women who's partners watch porn are more likely to suffer from eating disorders? Empty Re: Women who's partners watch porn are more likely to suffer from eating disorders?

Post by phildidge on Fri Feb 15, 2019 7:28 pm

>THE Ben Reilly< wrote:Who the hell watches 8 hours of porn per week?

Aren't you done after  5-10 minutes anyway? Embarassed


lol!

phildidge

Posts : 6839
Join date : 2018-11-16

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Women who's partners watch porn are more likely to suffer from eating disorders? Empty Re: Women who's partners watch porn are more likely to suffer from eating disorders?

Post by eddie on Fri Feb 15, 2019 7:43 pm

How stupid that headline is! What they mean is...women who’s partners watch porn all week (apparently..I mean, who watches that much porn?) are basically saying they feel threatened.

Women who watch open with their partners or who enjoy it alone, aren’t going to starve themselves. Rolling Eyes

_________________
I left my soul there
Down by the sea
I lost control here
Living free
- Morcheeba
eddie
eddie
King of Beards. Keeper of the Whip. Top Chef. BEES!!!!!! Mushroom muncher. Spider aficionado!

Posts : 38308
Join date : 2013-07-28
Age : 49
Location : England

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Women who's partners watch porn are more likely to suffer from eating disorders? Empty Re: Women who's partners watch porn are more likely to suffer from eating disorders?

Post by Ben Reilly on Fri Feb 15, 2019 8:27 pm

eddie wrote:How stupid that headline is! What they mean is...women who’s partners watch porn all week (apparently..I mean, who watches that much porn?) are basically saying they feel threatened.

Women who watch open with their partners or who enjoy it alone, aren’t going to starve themselves. Rolling Eyes

And let's be honest, if their guys are watching that much porn on their own, there's something their girlfriends/wives don't do for them. People are going to fulfill their needs one way or another.

_________________
Happiness is when what you think, what you say and what you do are in harmony.

-Ghandi
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly
Cowboy King. Dread Pirate of the Guadalupe. Enemy of the American people.

Posts : 26454
Join date : 2013-01-19
Age : 44
Location : Tesco's

View user profile http://www.newsfixboard.com

Back to top Go down

Women who's partners watch porn are more likely to suffer from eating disorders? Empty Re: Women who's partners watch porn are more likely to suffer from eating disorders?

Post by veya_victaous on Fri Feb 15, 2019 11:15 pm

Thor wrote:Seems a rather dubious link and the jury is out on this it seems

They have attibuted this, through one question alongside other questions, like social media etc

I would have to actually read the study of course, but we are talking about people that already in many cases have insecurities. Or more to the view, there could be a genetic make up here.

Its a long push to look at porn being a reason.
 
It could simple add to an already low self esteem that people do have.

It also does not explain eating disorders, where their partners do not watch porn

I was thinking similar, it didn't look at the other side that women with a predisposition towards eating disorders are attracted to guys that watch more porn, or even cause greater porn consumption due to their insecurities. there is so many potential causes here that haven't been factored in that the link is very tenuous


_________________
My job is to travel the world delivering Chaos and Candy.

We don't know the Questions... does that means we cannot seek the Answers?
veya_victaous
veya_victaous
The Mod Loki, Minister of Chaos & Candy, Emperor of the Southern Realms, Captain Kangaroo

Posts : 19095
Join date : 2013-01-23
Age : 36
Location : Australia

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Women who's partners watch porn are more likely to suffer from eating disorders? Empty Re: Women who's partners watch porn are more likely to suffer from eating disorders?

Post by phildidge on Fri Feb 15, 2019 11:48 pm

veya_victaous wrote:
Thor wrote:Seems a rather dubious link and the jury is out on this it seems

They have attibuted this, through one question alongside other questions, like social media etc

I would have to actually read the study of course, but we are talking about people that already in many cases have insecurities. Or more to the view, there could be a genetic make up here.

Its a long push to look at porn being a reason.
 
It could simple add to an already low self esteem that people do have.

It also does not explain eating disorders, where their partners do not watch porn

I was thinking similar, it didn't look at the other side that women with a predisposition towards eating disorders are attracted to guys that watch more porn, or even cause greater porn consumption due to their insecurities. there is so many potential causes here that haven't been factored in that the link is very tenuous



Agreed and there could be many variables here. I think they are looking too far down tree branches to the countless leaves on the tree and not actually at the root of the tree. To find the actual extent and cause of the problem. Even more so if it is in many cases has a genetic bases. Then they are going to constantly keep looking in the wrong places to start with. Find the core factors first and then branch out to other areas, to find further understanding.

phildidge

Posts : 6839
Join date : 2018-11-16

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Women who's partners watch porn are more likely to suffer from eating disorders? Empty Re: Women who's partners watch porn are more likely to suffer from eating disorders?

Post by Syl on Sat Feb 16, 2019 12:45 am

>THE Ben Reilly< wrote:
eddie wrote:How stupid that headline is! What they mean is...women who’s partners watch porn all week (apparently..I mean, who watches that much porn?) are basically saying they feel threatened.

Women who watch open with their partners or who enjoy it alone, aren’t going to starve themselves. Rolling Eyes

And let's be honest, if their guys are watching that much porn on their own, there's something their girlfriends/wives don't do for them. People are going to fulfill  their  needs one way or another.

Thats like saying serial adulterers are screwing around because their partners aren't meeting their needs....nothing to do with the fact that they have no will power?
Some men (usually men) are addicted to porn, I doubt it's because their partners are lacking, more likely that the men themselves are.

Eating disorders can stem from many things including childhood insecurities, but I can also see that constantly being overlooked in favour of an image on a screen could affect a womans self esteem, which in turn could affect the woman in ways that would make her feel unatractive.

_________________
Not everyone likes me, but not everyone matters.
Syl
Syl

Posts : 18958
Join date : 2015-11-12
Location : Manchester

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Women who's partners watch porn are more likely to suffer from eating disorders? Empty Re: Women who's partners watch porn are more likely to suffer from eating disorders?

Post by phildidge on Sat Feb 16, 2019 1:05 am

* Men watch porn because it's entertaining to watch naked women (&/or men) while they masturbate. It generally has nothing to do with how they feel about women (or men).
* Men don't watch porn because their partners are inadequate.
* Some men are jerks. Some of them watch porn, others don't. Most men aren’t jerks. Some of them watch porn, others don’t. Porn-watching doesn't predict jerk-itude.
* Men promise to not watch porn because they don't want to deal with their partner's pain or anger. It's an inappropriate promise to ask for, and it's a foolish promise to make.
* Men shouldn't break their promises.
* Women shouldn't go hunting for evidence of men's private behavior.
* Almost all conflict about porn is actually about something else. If your partner never watched porn, would you two have an ideal relationship? I doubt it, but if so, let go of the porn issue and enjoy paradise. If not, talk about the stuff you really need to talk about. If he refuses, let him know that not talking is a deal-breaker for you.

Plenty of couples manage a satisfying sex life while one (or both) of them is a porn-watcher. On the other hand, some couples can’t manage a satisfying sex life even though neither of them watches porn. To those couples, I offer my sympathy, and my 2012 book—Sexual Intelligence: What We Really Want From Sex, and How to Get It.

https://www.psychologytoday.com/gb/blog/sexual-intelligence/201707/husbands-watch-porn-wives-despair-why

The people in these studies, will have no doubt already have had the eating disorder, before they were even married. As such disorders start young in people.

phildidge

Posts : 6839
Join date : 2018-11-16

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Women who's partners watch porn are more likely to suffer from eating disorders? Empty Re: Women who's partners watch porn are more likely to suffer from eating disorders?

Post by Syl on Sat Feb 16, 2019 1:51 am

Syl wrote:
>THE Ben Reilly< wrote:

And let's be honest, if their guys are watching that much porn on their own, there's something their girlfriends/wives don't do for them. People are going to fulfill  their  needs one way or another.

Thats like saying serial adulterers  are screwing around because their partners aren't meeting their needs....nothing to do with the fact that they have no will power?
Some men (usually men) are addicted to porn, I doubt it's because their partners are lacking, more likely that the men themselves are.

Eating disorders can stem from many things including childhood insecurities, but I can also see that constantly being overlooked in favour of an image on a screen could affect a womans self esteem, which in turn could affect the woman in ways that would make her feel unatractive.

To whoever gave this post a red ...did it touch a nerve? lol!

_________________
Not everyone likes me, but not everyone matters.
Syl
Syl

Posts : 18958
Join date : 2015-11-12
Location : Manchester

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Back to top


 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum