The "Greenest" Congresmen.

Go down

The "Greenest" Congresmen.  Empty The "Greenest" Congresmen.

Post by Maddog on Sat Feb 09, 2019 9:52 pm

U.S. Rep. Thomas Massie drives a Tesla Model S, one of the most technologically-advanced, environmentally-friendly electric cars made.

It has Kentucky’s black “Friends of Coal” license plate.

He cosponsored a bill to get rid of the Environmental Protection Agency. (“I would rather start over with the EPA than fix the one we have.”)

Climate change may not be due to humans, he said: “What is the cause and effect?”

And he voted to delay implementation of ozone standards and voted to repeal a stream protection rule.

Yet 47-year-old Massie and his family tread lightly on the earth, perhaps even more so than many self-proclaimed environmentalists. He and his family live in an off-the-grid house topped with 57 solar panels and made with wood and stone from his farm.

In some ways, Massie, a Republican who represents Kentucky’s 4th District in Northern Kentucky, acts more like a Democrat. The seeming dichotomy of his lifestyle and politics underlines the complicated and subtle debate over environmentalism and sustainability.

“My approach is one of personal responsibility. I have a lot of people who preach to me, and then they don’t practice it themselves,” Massie told LEO. “I think, for instance, solar power is the way of the future, and I don’t think we have to mandate it.”

Indeed, Massie doesn’t seem to fit any particular ideology neatly. Instead he combines the traditionally Democratic ethos of environmentalism with a Republican sensibility for freedom and accountability.

“I focus on the places we agree upon things,” said Massie. “I found out we like electric cars, we like solar panels, we like locally raised food, and we may get there from different paths.”

https://www.leoweekly.com/2018/04/conservative-environmentalist-kentucky-congressman-finds-freedom-sustainability/

Instead of using his position to force others into living a certain lifestyle, he actually lives it, unlike the people who claim to support "Green" legislation.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

The "Greenest" Congresmen.  Empty Re: The "Greenest" Congresmen.

Post by >THE Ben Reilly< on Sat Feb 09, 2019 10:25 pm

Climate change is real and we're not going to fix it by letting people continue to destroy the planet if they feel like it. This guy's lifestyle, commendable as it may be, is a drop of piss in the ocean.
>THE Ben Reilly<
>THE Ben Reilly<
Cowboy King. Dread Pirate of the Guadalupe. Enemy of the American people.

View user profile http://www.newsfixboard.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Maddog on Sat Feb 09, 2019 10:30 pm

>THE Ben Reilly< wrote:Climate change is real and we're not going to fix it by letting people continue to destroy the planet if they feel like it. This guy's lifestyle, commendable as it may be, is a drop of piss in the ocean.

Why don't those that support green policy, adopt it?

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Maddog on Sat Feb 09, 2019 10:32 pm

The "Greenest" Congresmen.  Massie10

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Maddog on Sat Feb 09, 2019 10:33 pm

Ben, do you have Solar Panels and an electric car?

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by WhoseYourWolfie on Sun Feb 10, 2019 12:34 am

Maddog wrote:
>THE Ben Reilly< wrote:Climate change is real and we're not going to fix it by letting people continue to destroy the planet if they feel like it. This guy's lifestyle, commendable as it may be, is a drop of piss in the ocean.

Cool

Climate change, pollution, dwindling fossil fuel reserves, holes in the ozone layer, galloping deforrestation...

These problems are global, not isolated to the American mid-west..

Bullshit stories about rich Republicans playing boy farmer on his back block does nothing to help plastic infested oceans, endangered species, blood diamond economies in sub-Saharan countries, or flood-drowned cattle in FNQ.

Reining in criminal big businesses, their "robber baron" owners, and their unfettered environmental rape&pillage will..

Henry David Thoreau
WhoseYourWolfie
WhoseYourWolfie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Maddog on Sun Feb 10, 2019 12:57 am

WhoseYourWolfie wrote:
Maddog wrote:

Cool

Climate change, pollution, dwindling fossil fuel reserves, holes in the ozone layer, galloping deforrestation...

Bullshit stories about rich Republicans playing boy farmer on his back block does nothing to help plastic infested oceans, endangered species, blood diamond economies in sub-Saharan countries, or flood-drowned cattle in FNQ.

Reining in criminal big businesses, their "robber baron" owners, and their unfettered environmental rape&pillage will..

So individuals who support a green policy shouldn't try to decrease the size of their carbon footprint?

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Maddog on Sun Feb 10, 2019 12:58 am

The "Greenest" Congresmen.  Fb_img16

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Maddog on Sun Feb 10, 2019 12:59 am

What about you Wolfie? Do you have an electric car and solar panels are are you a typical blowhard?

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Original Quill on Sun Feb 10, 2019 4:08 am

Rolling Eyes

"I don't stand by anything."  ― Donald Trump, interview with John Dickerson, 5.1.17...

If you can't indict, and you don't impeach, you've got villainy.

“That's libertarians for you — anarchists who want police protection from their slaves.” ― Kim Stanley Robinson, Green Mars
Original Quill
Original Quill

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by WhoseYourWolfie on Sun Feb 10, 2019 9:52 am

Maddog wrote:
WhoseYourWolfie wrote:
Cool

So individuals who support a green policy shouldn't try to decrease the size of their carbon footprint?
Cool

On the contrary...

I would encourage everyone who can afford to do so, to reduce their own 'carbon footprints', whenever possible..

However, while making some difference locally, and reducing (even minimising..) one's personal contributions to environmental damages, this alone has zero overall impact on the damages being inflicted by large-scale industrial processes, factory-scale feedlots, and burning fossil fiels to generate power.

Big and wide-ranging changes have to be made to reduce COx emissions (esp. Methane, carbon dioxide, ethane and carbon monoxide -- with CO2 being the "easiest" to deal with short-term..), and reverse deforrestation, overall -- as individual efforts, no matter how big, still won't be enough to slow down environmental degradation fast enough to avoid global disasters..

Henry David Thoreau
WhoseYourWolfie
WhoseYourWolfie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by WhoseYourWolfie on Sun Feb 10, 2019 10:13 am

Maddog wrote:
What about you Wolfie? Do you have an electric car and solar panels are are you a typical blowhard?

Cool

I don't live in a big Amerikan city like you, to start with -- meaning that my 'carbon footprint' is smaller to begin...

Electric cars are over-rated if you don't drive enough miles around big cities to neutralise the negative costs of producing that new car and disposing of your previous vehicle -- if you live outside the urban confines and travel out more away from your beloved big cities, then running an existing vehicle on LPG or Biodiesel can actually be "greener".

If I were a city-based technocrat fanging around in a V8, with a Harley, speedboat and jetski sharing it's garage space, while jetting about a couple of times a year while updating my wardrobe and furniture every other year -- then you might have something to crow about..

Unfortunately for your ignorant bluster, I'm anything but the easy target you were hoping for -- as I'm a beekeeper/agriculturalist, live out on the fringes, vegie's and fruit trees in the backyard, recycling and reusing, while not letting fashions rule my life, eating more fruit, veg's&grains than meat&dairy (while still avoiding the "vegan" lies and myths..).

Your continuing support for big business and the ultra-rich, however, will easily neutralise and outdo any personal efforts you might make to reduce your own contributions !!!

Henry David Thoreau
WhoseYourWolfie
WhoseYourWolfie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Maddog on Sun Feb 10, 2019 4:42 pm

WhoseYourWolfie wrote:
Maddog wrote:

Cool

I don't live in a big Amerikan city like you, to start with --  meaning that my 'carbon footprint' is smaller to begin...

Electric cars are over-rated if you don't drive enough miles around big cities to neutralise the negative costs of producing that new car and disposing of your previous vehicle --  if you live outside the urban confines and travel out more away from  your beloved big cities, then running an existing vehicle on LPG or Biodiesel can actually be "greener".

If I were a city-based technocrat fanging around in a V8, with a Harley, speedboat and jetski sharing it's garage space, while jetting about a couple of times a year while updating my wardrobe and furniture every other year  --  then you might have something to crow about..

Unfortunately for your ignorant bluster, I'm anything but the easy target you were hoping for  --  as I'm a beekeeper/agriculturalist, live out on the fringes, vegie's and fruit trees in the backyard, recycling and reusing, while not letting fashions rule my life, eating more fruit, veg's&grains than meat&dairy (while still avoiding the "vegan" lies and myths..).

Your continuing support for big business and the ultra-rich, however,  will easily neutralise and outdo any personal efforts you might make to reduce your own contributions  !!!

So you're playing farmer? 

Off the grid I assume?

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by veya_victaous on Mon Feb 11, 2019 1:02 am

I have solar panels. no battery so still on grid, i have to buy some power in winter but have excess that i sell to the grid in summer. Most power where I am is green since we are near a large wind farm and an experimental bio-power plant that produces power from decomposing rubbish they filled an old mine up with (also collects a bunch of gases and other chemicals)

but as yet no electric car can hit a Roo and keep going (a requirement for my commute) The "Greenest" Congresmen.  2190311264

We don't know the Questions... does that means we cannot seek the Answers?
veya_victaous
veya_victaous
The Mod Loki, Minister of Chaos & Candy, Emperor of the Southern Realms, Captain Kangaroo

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Maddog on Mon Feb 11, 2019 3:29 pm

veya_victaous wrote:I have solar panels. no battery so still on grid, i have to buy some power in winter but have excess that i sell to the grid in summer. Most power where I am is green since we are near a large wind farm and an experimental bio-power plant that produces power from decomposing rubbish they filled an old mine up with (also collects a bunch of gases and other chemicals)

but as yet no electric car can hit a Roo and keep going (a requirement for my commute) The "Greenest" Congresmen.  2190311264
So you are walking the walk. I can respect that far more than a politician with a giant carbon footprint telling the peons of this country how they should live,

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum